XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission fluid problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 03:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transmission fluid problem

Transmission works fine and doesn't slip. I am concerned because I checked the dipstick and the fluid is dark as oil. It almost looks black. I am wondering what type of fluid can I use and does it require a gasket? Also is there a risk draining it and replacing it since its dark and all the crud could be holding it together? Where is the drain located?

Old 02-08-2015, 07:39 PM
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

If it's a BW66, use Type F. Drain most of it by removing fill tube nut at pan, Then remove pan and replace filter. If you want easy change, just do the first part. Drive and then do again.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:34 PM
Received 178 Likes on 153 Posts

Does not express what model or Series of XJ.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:25 PM

82 series 3

Old 02-09-2015, 01:45 AM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

As already said.

I would undo the large dipstick tube nut, let it drain. Refill it with F if you can find it, or Dex3, if thats all that is around.

Drive it around the block, drain it again, and refill it.

Since the fluid is really off, do this about 8 times.

The filter inside is a "mesh" style filter, and I have never seen one blocked. If you really want to replace it, by all means do so after the drain and refills are done.

The BW66 is strong and forgiving, so you just might be able to save it.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

In case you dont already know , they are suggesting multiple changes as you dont get all the oil just dropping the pan. If you go to a trans shop they could flush it but it will cost you lots in fluid (unless ATF is a lot cheaper there than here). Doing two changes should get you to a much improved place.

The following 2 users liked this post by yarpos:
Grant Francis (02-09-2015), o1xjr (02-09-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 04:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Service it and DO NOT FLUSH it. You also did not tell the mileage. Servicing mean changing the fluid and filter. Some of the jaguar will have a metal screen as a filter which mean you can clean it with brake cleaner and reuse it. Any transmission shop that knows anything will no flush a old transmission. Also pat a magnet in the pay if there is not one already. As far as the fluid go look it up yourself vs trusting a forum. There is already several thoughts on the type and I have no clue on a 83.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:24 AM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I too have a 1982 series 3 XJ6 with 133k miles on the clock. My BW66 decided to lose all of it's fluid (as indicated on the dipstick) one day and slipped to high heaven. All that I could find at the local convenience store on that night was Dexron 3. So I refilled it with that and it got me home. Well, the dexron 3 is still in there and now, if the car is cold (winter) the tranny will slip if I don't baby the throttle off the line. It also doesn't like climbing hills. I bought type F but have not had the time or inclination to lie under my car do the drain and refill game.
Will the Type F "solve" my slipping problems? I am familiar with metal mesh type filters as I run one on my Yamaha Roadliner motorcylce, just clean it out with brake cleaner and blow it out/dry it with compressed air. A magnet is a good idea as well.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by weattg44
I too have a 1982 series 3 XJ6 with 133k miles on the clock. My BW66 decided to lose all of it's fluid (as indicated on the dipstick) one day and slipped to high heaven. All that I could find at the local convenience store on that night was Dexron 3. So I refilled it with that and it got me home. Well, the dexron 3 is still in there and now, if the car is cold (winter) the tranny will slip if I don't baby the throttle off the line. It also doesn't like climbing hills. I bought type F but have not had the time or inclination to lie under my car do the drain and refill game.
Will the Type F "solve" my slipping problems? I am familiar with metal mesh type filters as I run one on my Yamaha Roadliner motorcylce, just clean it out with brake cleaner and blow it out/dry it with compressed air. A magnet is a good idea as well.

I suspect that the "....slipped to high heaven..." episode actually hurt the transmission and it'll slip no matter what fluid is pout in it. But, Type F (or Type FA) is bit 'stickier' than Dexron so it couldn't hurt to try. Just don't get your hopes up.

You might try adjusting the bands as well, just for the heck of it.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-09-2015, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Photoman327
As far as the fluid go look it up yourself vs trusting a forum.

That's a really nice thing to say, thanks!

There is already several thoughts on the type and I have no clue on a 83.

But others DO have a clue.

The original spec for the BW65/66 was Type G....but that's a long obsolete designation, at least in the USA. Years ago I spoke with my oil suppliers and both recommend Type F or Type FA as a substitute.

Some owners have used Dexron without any difficulties at all and actually preferred the slightly softer shift.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-09-2015, 08:07 AM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks Doug,
I actually DO trust the FORUM!! I mean, why go through all the trials and tribulations when you can simply ask the question on a forum such as this and get many corresponding opinions, recommendations and specifications from those that have been playing this game far longer (on these vehicles) than we have? Or, trust the internet. Do a search, wade through all the whacky recommendations from those that do not own and work on these cars. OR, take it to a shop and pay through the nose for something you can do yourself. I mean, there's such a wealth of knowledge here that goes for a premium at a well seasoned shop. AND, there's no charge for it!!!

Back to topic:

I suspect you are correct Doug that the damage has been done, but I gotta try to salvage what I can!! Regarding adjusting the bands: I have not had a read of the factory service manual yet regarding this adjustment, but if it's not described, is it pretty straight forward?

Old 02-09-2015, 12:50 PM

Any certain type F product someone reccomends?

Old 02-09-2015, 01:33 PM

Can someone show me a pic of the correct filter and gasket. On rockauto.com they have 3 selections for 1982 series 3 line 6. The bottom 2 are the same but the first choice is different. Are they interchangeable?

Old 02-09-2015, 02:05 PM

is it the square shaped gasket from pioneer or the odd shaped one from Adelco? I forgot to mention as well that the car only has 35,000 miles on it. So with it being black i should be okay to just drain it right?

Last edited by ahunt4; 02-09-2015 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:08 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ahunt4
iI forgot to mention as well that the car only has 35,000 miles on it. So with it being black i should be okay to just drain it right?
Not really right but fairly ok.

You should be better (vs. ok) to drain it. At a minimum, do it twice.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ahunt4
is it the square shaped gasket from pioneer or the odd shaped one from Adelco? I forgot to mention as well that the car only has 35,000 miles on it. So with it being black i should be okay to just drain it right?

On Rock Auto The Beck Arnley 0440215 looks correct. So does the "Pioneer" brand. The AC Delco listing is wrong....judging from the picture

OK to drain and refill even though the fluid is black. Repeat a few times as others have said.

Any brand of Type F fluid is OK, IMHO.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-10-2015, 09:56 AM
Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Photoman327
Service it and DO NOT FLUSH it. You also did not tell the mileage. Servicing mean changing the fluid and filter. Some of the jaguar will have a metal screen as a filter which mean you can clean it with brake cleaner and reuse it. Any transmission shop that knows anything will no flush a old transmission. Also pat a magnet in the pay if there is not one already. As far as the fluid go look it up yourself vs trusting a forum. There is already several thoughts on the type and I have no clue on a 83.

Curious, what's the rational for not flushing an old transmission? Too much gunk released? Thanks.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Doug
That's a really nice thing to say, thanks!

But others DO have a clue.

The original spec for the BW65/66 was Type G....but that's a long obsolete designation, at least in the USA. Years ago I spoke with my oil suppliers and both recommend Type F or Type FA as a substitute.

Some owners have used Dexron without any difficulties at all and actually preferred the slightly softer shift.

Cheers
DD
Well, you do have a point and at times I will open my big mouth when I should keep it closed. LOL

Old 02-10-2015, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WinstonWolf
Curious, what's the rational for not flushing an old transmission? Too much gunk released? Thanks.

"Stirring up gunk", yes.

In reality this is seldom a problem in the grand scheme of things but, yes, it CAN occasionally be an issue if you get a trans that is really gunky and (most likely) on its last legs anyway. Back when I was in the business we had one flush job go "Tango Uniform" on us....out of several hundred performed.

Many repair shops are very skeptical about trans flush jobs on 'iffy' cars just for that reason.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-10-2015, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Makes sense to me. If a pro shop flushes the trans and it goes bonkers, who gets the blame!!!!. I can hear/read it now. "Incompetent or crooked shop ruined my transmission"!!!

Carl

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid problem