XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

troubles with sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 01:55 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default troubles with sunroof

So 2 weeks ago sunroof stopped working on my 84' xj6.
But anyway it was stable and closed. Do not know why it started to move by itself, probably the air pushing it on the freeway.
In fact today on the freeway I heard a lot of air noises and air streams coming in from the front edge of the sunroof even if the sun roof itself looked closed from inside the car.
From outside I can see it is open quarter of inch or so.
I do have a tool/key which should be the one to be used to close it manually, but anyway I do not know how to use it to close the sunroof. It really needs to be closed because it's winter...
thank you very much for any hints you may give me.
BTW the sunroof motor is working, I hear its noise when I push on on open/close button, but it does not move.

Old 12-11-2017, 03:43 PM

Question is. The sunroof motor is between back seat and trunk but how do I Access it ?

Old 12-11-2017, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

go to the trunk, remove the innermost panel held by 2 black plastic screws, use a large flat screwdriver or something wide and thick.

push in as you turn the plastic screws.

once panel is removed, you will see the sunroof motor exactly in the center of the metal panel behind the rear seat.

insert the winder tool at the bottom pin of the motor and turn it one way to close it, one way to open it.

Old 12-11-2017, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

issue No. 2: motor runs but sunroof does not move.

could be the retaining plate located behind the rear seat is loose and the cables are slipping on the gear-cog.

to check that, you have to remove the entire rear seat, 2 sections, the seat and the back.

to remove the seat:
there are two PosiDrive screws (not Phillips) at the front lower edge of the seat, on the carpet itself. Remove those two screws, then pull the front of the seat UP and remove from the car.

to remove the Back:
at the bottom of the Back, you will see two "U" shape brackets held by two screws,
remove those screws.

Grab the bottom of the Back and push it UP to disengage it from brackets which are located on each corner at the top of the Back. Once disengaged, remove the entire back from the car.

In the Center you will see the cables and the retaining plate with two Nuts. Make sure those are tight, but not over tightened.

See if that makes any difference in the movement of the sunroof.

If no difference, but the motor still runs, then the Brushes in the motor might be worn, and that is another day, another dollar.

The following users liked this post:
xjfourty (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 04:14 PM
Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

The motor is in the boot/trunk, directly behind the rear seat, in the center. You'll have to remove a carpet covered piece running across the trunk to get to it. There is a spindle sticking out of the bottom of the motor. The sunroof key you have fits on that. I believe it's clockwise to close, ccr to open it. I'd try that first to see if it will close that last 1/4".

If that doesn't work, you can remove the rear seat to access the sunroof cables. The bottom/bench of the seat comes out first after removing 2 screws at the front of the seat bottom, basically behind your lower legs if you were sitting in the seat. Once the bottom is out, that exposes 2 bolts at the bottom of the seat back, holding it place. Remove those and pull up to remove the seat back.

Once the back seat is out, look for the general operation of the cables and how they are working when you operate the sunroof. They can be greased if needed. In the center there is a bracket you can loosen so the cables move freely without engaging the motor. Note the orientation of the bracket and which cable is on top before removing it. Once free, you can manually close your sunroof as far as it will go- one clean hand on the inside of the car, one on the outside and pull the sunroof as fully closed as possible. I did that with mine during a winter spell when it wouldn't close properly. Then put the bracket back together. No promises that it will close that far again once you open it.

The following users liked this post:
xjfourty (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 04:32 PM

thanks. I did troubleshoot it without solve anything though.
The motor is working. Moving it with the manual key did not help.
It's rotating but the roof is stuck. When I rotate the pin/rod coming out from the motor nothing happens. As well as when I push on the open/close button the motor is spinning but nothing happens. The roof is stuck. and now it is a pain in the a.. to travel like this on the freeway.
Can't even close it. Will need a mechanic.