XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Alpine GPS tracking troubles

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 12:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Alpine GPS tracking troubles

My 2001 Jag XKR has an Alpine Navigation system. The systems is not tracking properly. Where I was tracking with several satellites previously I now am tracking 0-2 satellites, and the unit is telling me I am 16 miles from my actual location. THis problem first started after I had to have my car towed in to the dealer and have the fuel pumps replaced. I inspected the antenna and wiring tonight and found that they go right below the area of the tank. I will be calling Jaguar tomorrow to find out if they know of a possible correlation. Has anyone had similar problems?

Old 01-01-2009, 03:26 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts
Default RE: 2001 Alpine GPS tracking troubles

Never heard of such low GPS signal, me thinks something is unplugged, or worse...damaged. Please update the post when you get back from the dealer.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:12 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: jagman01

My 2001 Jag XKR has an Alpine Navigation system. The systems is not tracking properly. Where I was tracking with several satellites previously I now am tracking 0-2 satellites, and the unit is telling me I am 16 miles from my actual location. THis problem first started after I had to have my car towed in to the dealer and have the fuel pumps replaced. I inspected the antenna and wiring tonight and found that they go right below the area of the tank. I will be calling Jaguar tomorrow to find out if they know of a possible correlation. Has anyone had similar problems?
I'm not having a tracking problem, the problem that I have with my Alpine unit in my 2000 XK8 is the DVD doesn't have the country roads that I travel on. I'm always off the map!

Old 01-02-2009, 03:37 PM
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

I have researched this a lil bit....

the last alpine system was in 06 i think...

the disks newer then that will not work on our cars. But if you get a 06 cd it should work. Some one should dubble check me on that 06 date before any one buys a dvd.

Greenjewel i called Montie Shelton in PDX and they have no idea how to get a new cd. They said call NavTech. they are the company that provided the maps for the dvds. and navtech said call the dealer back and upgrade the HOLE system to the newer jag version. Thats about were i left it.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

The system in my 2005 (also and Alpine I believe) works fine pretty much all of the time. HOWEVER, I have noticed a couple of times when I am first starting out, the system does not have my location quite right (maybe a couple of tenths of a mile off). Within a minute or so the map will update and show my correct location. I assume this is normal behavior?

Doug

Old 01-03-2009, 05:57 AM

ORIGINAL: 2000blackxkr

I have researched this a lil bit....

the last alpine system was in 06 i think...

the disks newer then that will not work on our cars. But if you get a 06 cd it should work. Some one should dubble check me on that 06 date before any one buys a dvd.

Greenjewel i called Montie Shelton in PDX and they have no idea how to get a new cd. They said call NavTech. they are the company that provided the maps for the dvds. and navtech said call the dealer back and upgrade the HOLE system to the newer jag version. Thats about were i left it.
I've found the Alpine unit is okay for main roads and major cities. Other than that, it doesn't have a clue about country roads or small towns.

Like everything else that's over priced for Jaguars, the prices for "updated" DVD's for this unit that I've seen being asked on ebay, you can buy a new portable unit with more bells and things to tinker with than the Alpine unit has.

I have a two year old TomTom unit and when we go anywhere we take it along with us to find places to eat etc. and for travel in Canada and the back roads of Washington & Oregon.

According to the Alpine system, I live in the middle of nowhere without any roads to get there.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:04 PM
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Greenjewel, you're not alone. Here in Idaho it's as if we don't even exist! All I can say is that this is a pretty bad nav system for such an originally expensive car.

I've got a 2004 DVD which is better than the original 2001 DVD but just barely.

I guess Jaguar figured their main customers would be in big cities, which was probably the case for original owners.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone tried calling Alpine? A friend of mine has an aftermarket Alpine Nav as he cant find his was from the bedroom to the bathroom ! His system which is probably 4-5 years old, has a group of cd's, 6 for the whole country (or 1 big cd if you have the rom installed) - he has incredible detail and its NavTech as well.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:06 PM
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts

JagMan,

I have a 2006 with the factory Nav. I have an issue where the system seems to lose Satellite Signal - Sometimes for up to 2 hours. The navigation screen will just spin in circles, and when it does finally get a signal it is usually off by a 1/4 of a mile.

I live in Los Angeles, so it's not real rural here, and there are plenty of streets. Poor Nav system gets so flustered just trying to get me home sometimes.

I have taken the car in twice to the local dealer (Galpin) with this issue, because it seems like the antennae is damaged. They 'reset' the system and then it seemed to work fine (both times). The first time they 'reset' the NAV system I lost all my memory points. The second time I did not.

Per Galpin I have the latest FIRMWARE and the latest NAV DVD.

I have had the car back for about 3 weeks since the last reset and it has lost satellite signal only twice (one time happened to be today).

Dave

Old 01-07-2009, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

The GPS in my 01 will not speak automatically. I can push a button on the unit and it will speak the current location, but not automatically. I have a Garmin Nuvi, so I just use it and leave the clock on the in car GPS. The Garmin is very accurate and I can update it from my computer when updates are available. I recently got an email from Garmin stating there was a software update that will fix a problem it was having. Plugged it into my computer and 10 minutes later, it was all updated.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:20 AM

I was playing with my unit's setup and when I selected minimum as far as instructions go, I didn't get very many turn left, turn right. I reselected "normal" and she started to talk again. The unit did speak out the turns but too late for me to make the turn.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THanks for the posts. The dealer I use is an hour away. Kearny Mesa Jaguar. They said to bring it by as they did replace the fuel pumps which are in the area of the GPS unit. I have not been able to get back down there yet. Does anyone know how to do the reset on the unit?
Thanks, Larry the jagman01