Sponsored by:

Very specific: Straight tailpipes early XJ6

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 12:28 PM
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Very specific: Straight tailpipes early XJ6

The early Jaguar XJ6 had straight tailpipes. They were changed because:

1. Exhaust gasses could get into the cabin OR:
2. When opening the trunk and (un)loading items the exhausts would make black circles on your pants/trousers/jeans/legs when leaning against them, so they moved them out of the way

Does anyone know when this change was made? I want to convert my car to 'straight pipes' on the back. Do not confuse with straight pipes all the way, that is not very Jaguar-like.

Thank you, also a happy Newyear!

Old 01-06-2016, 06:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

I used the 1988 XJ-40 stainless tips for many years without any problems and I think the car looks awesome with the straight rolled tips. I reinstalled the original S tips for a car show and have not put the XJ-40 tips back. However, if you want a straighter S tip, the 1986 XJ-S V12 has them. I also have a pair of those, planning to use them in my 1965 S type which ironically came with straight tips from the factory.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:06 AM
Received 245 Likes on 147 Posts

Don't know for a fact, but I always thought that these cars being equipped with a ventilation system, is always circulating fresh air into the cabin.(unless turned off).
The air is allowed to exit through the vent openings just in front of the boot lid,. I thought that,.. at certain lower speeds (or completely stopped), exhaust fumes could circulate back over the boot lid and enter the cabin by way of these vent openings, with the ventilation system turned off.
The reason for curving the exhaust extensions to the point furthest away from these openings - which would be outside rear corners of the car, is to lessen the chance of this happening.

And as a related item, the air exhaust openings have flaps covering them. I have seen thin foam rubbed / felt/ cork/ glued to the flaps.

So why are there flaps over these openings ?

- To stop exhaust fumes from the exhaust pipes, circulating up over the boot lid ,..through the open vents ,.. into the cabin, when the system is "OFF".
So free floating flaps covered in a foam material and hanging over the vent openings stops the exhaust fumes from entering the cabin.

When the foam rubber on the flaps deteriorates/ falls off , and you close a car door with the sunroof/all windows closed,..you get the "cowbell" sound -tinkling bells whatever.. metal flaps hitting the car body where the vent holes are . That is what my thinking was... made sense to me. I think the ventilation system is really nice but every component must be working properly to feel its benefits.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by alynmurray
....When the foam rubber on the flaps deteriorates/ falls off , and you close a car door with the sunroof/all windows closed,..you get the "cowbell" sound -tinkling bells whatever.. metal flaps hitting the car body where the vent holes are....
Mine were doing this when I bought the car. Drove me mad, so I've relined my flaps. Peace at last!

Old 01-09-2016, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

From the factory, square pieces of headliner fabric were glued to the 4 hanging metal flaps at the rear Cowl. There are two more of those flaps behind the rear seat that can be accessed from the trunk by removing the upholstery panel that covers the sunroof motor, ECU, and other electronics in the trunk. I'm still wondering what their purpose is other than venting.

Last edited by Jose; 01-09-2016 at 05:36 PM.