XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

And what about these XJ6s?

Old 05-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default And what about these XJ6s?

I´m thinking about adding a 1984 XJ6 to my newly started Jaguar collection. Presently consisting of a 2002 S type, 92 XJ40 and 93 XJ40.
I´ve heard a lot of stuff about these series III cars. Is it overblown and what should I look out for in buying one? Thanks.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,746 Likes on 7,099 Posts

They are great cars....the most modern of all antique automobiles. A good one is a pleasure to drive and has a unique feel that you can't find in any other car...or even any other Jaguar. Very old school in design, engineering, and feel. They are built like tanks and drive like velvet.

I had a Ser III as a daily driver for many years. Never was on the back of a tow truck. Darn good car....very few problems. I waaaay over-maintained it.

Unless you seek out (and pay for) an exceptional example you can count on dumping some money into one, though. Most have been neglected.

Here's some reading that will help:

http://www.jag-lovers.org/xjlovers/xjbuyersguide.html

http://www.jag-lovers.org/xjlovers/info/jagcare3.pdf

http://www.jag-lovers.org/xjlovers/xjfaq/index.html

Personally I would look for an '86 or '87 because they have some detail differences that I prefer.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-07-2009, 08:56 AM

Thanks for the info Doug. I´ll check out those links asap.
I worked for somebody who had an ´86 XJ6 and I seem to remember some problems, but that´s to be expected with anything.
I appreciate your feedback.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:00 AM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

I'd love to hype up the traditional XJ6 more, but I think Doug pretty much hit the nail on the head.

I haven't read all of the Jag-Lovers stuff yet, but some typical things are rust around windshield, rusty floorpans, interior condition...basic things like that. It seems most other things can be fixed pretty easy/cheap. These beauties just need some TLC, not babied, just give them a little attention and they will treat you great.

IMHO anybody with a Jag collection should have a SI, II, or III. How many car models out there have remained virtually unchanged (exterior at least) for 20 years (I can only think of the Model A and the VWBug, both infinite classics as well!)? Look at what the big three put out in '68 and then compare it to their '87 models. The same could be said for the XJS, which would definitely be my next Jag!

Old 05-07-2009, 04:30 PM

Thanks for the good feedback. I can´t wait to see the car. The pics looked great, but it was just the back end. I asked the owner what it needs to be in top condition and he only mentioned a small rust spot by the windshield. Both of you guys mentioned that as a common problem.
Saturday my 92 XJ40 is going in to be painted where it has faded and I´m installing the hood ornament. I can look at this XJ6 and decide at the same time. -Could be four cats in the family soon. A bit of a fanatic after never having a Jaguar until the last week of March.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:03 PM
Default next one maybe

Had to take a pass on the 84 XJ6. I hadn´t been in one before. Love the leaping cat on the center dash. Two fuel tanks? The car ran nicely. 118K miles, but it had been neglected for at least two years according to the owner. The original owner kept it up but this guy just ignored it. Things were falling off on the inside, the nice wood dash was covered with glue on stickers, the sun roof switch would retract but not close, ac might not be working or it might just need a recharge, missing wheel center caps. rust around the windshield. All in all for $1600 it would be worth putting a little effort into it, but I´d rather get something that has been taken care of all along. Buying my ´92 XJ40 was a pleasure. The owner was from Britain. I wanted to buy it as soon as he called it a JagUar. He had every document and repair receipt going back to the first day, he knew it inside and out and taught me some things about the car since I´m new to Jaguars (and fell in love with them instantly), and I knew that he took real good care of the car. I got it cheap because the paint faded off the roof and trunk. I´m having it repainted and the car will be like new.
I really don´t think it will be that hard to find an XJ6 in So Cal that´s been treated well. There are lots of nice old cars around here. This AM I drove from San Diego to Los Angeles and was amazed just how many Jaguars I saw on the road, now that I´m paying attention. I go to Los Angeles once a month and the freeway on a Sunday is like a car show. I saw a new Maserati today, Bentleys, Rolls Royce, Lamborghini´s. Well they say there that you are what you drive.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member

If you're a decent DIY mechanic most of the mechanical repairs on a Ser III are fairly easy and the parts are usually more reasonable than you'd imagine. However, the cosmetics....paint, wood, chrome, leather, etc....that stuff costs a small fortune.

If you're end goal is a really nice Ser III to be proud of, spend the money for one with excellent cosmetics even if it has a few mechanical faults.

I've known a few who sorted the mechanical items easily enough but were then shocked when they realized it would be *thousands of dollars* for paint and leather !

Just a thought :-)

Anyhow, yeah, keep looking, there are plenty out there.

Cheers
DD

Cheers
DD

Old 05-17-2009, 01:00 PM

I´m getting closer. The way people lie on craigslist is unreal. I went to see an 86 XJ "perfect collectors car" that only needed a minor repair. The minor repair was a valve job at the least. It was running on five cylinders and barely. Had a huge oil leak that the guy claimed to be fixed. Was rusty. Then he tells me he spent $2000 for Pirellis. Give me a *** break. I have a receipt from January from the 92 XJ40 that I bought for $700 for a set of pirellis installed.

Almost went to look at another. Just needed an ac recharge and a speedometer cable. She says the speedo cable is very common. I come to find out that it is a speed transducer and not a cable and who knows how many miles are on the car. It also "needs a tune up". I asked her if it just needs a tune up due to time or is it running rough. The answer was both. Whenever I see "needs a tune up" I automatically assume that it really needs major work. Like a set of spark plugs will fix anything.

Anyway I found a white 1985 with only 77K on the odometer and the title and everything seems to work. The AC blasts. Interior is clean. The wood and red leather are in nice shape. Runs nice, but the history of the last five years is a mystery. It has a temporary reg until next month so the fees must have been paid. I can get it for only $1100 and I´m very tempted. It just needs tires immediately and I would assume an oil change is way overdue.

Might be a quadruple Jag owner at the end of the day.

--------------------
2002 S type 4.0
1993 XJ40 Sovereign
1992 XJ40 Soverign
2004 Lincoln LS
?????? next

Old 05-17-2009, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member

The $1100 car sounds OK...especially for the price. I'd go for it

Cheeers
DD

Old 05-17-2009, 07:55 PM

Sounds like a plan, Doug. It´s not too much of a gamble because it´s running well now. I saw the thing in auto trader for $1500 but they said they would take 1100. Now I see it on craigslist for $2300. I called the people and they said the price they gave me still stands. I just couldn´t get back over there today.
Parking is becoming an issue, but I think I better grab this one before I resume looking at ones in worse condition for more money, which is what I´ve been seeing so far.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"They are built like tanks and drive like velvet"

spot on doug ... spot on.

Panza .. the $1100 one sounds like a steal to me. got pix to post??

Now all you need is a supercharged "R" model to complete the collection.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:16 AM

I´m going to try to post a picture of the 1985 that I am going to try to get for $1100. It must be photogenic because it looks a little nicer in the photo than in person. LOL

Attached Thumbnails And what about these XJ6s?-jaguar-xj6-1985-white.jpg  
Old 06-07-2009, 09:23 AM

I bought that car for only $1000. It had four wasted tires and I had to grab four used ones as an emergency measure. As I posted in another thread the speedo wasn´t working.
I got it back from the mechanic yesterday. Replaced the speed transducer, did a tune up. topped up the tranny fluid. Fortunately somebody told me it was type F only, because it was pretty hard to find out which kind to use. The fuel was contaminated and one tank sensor wasn´t working. The mechanic drained and cleaned both tanks and cleaned out the non functioning sending unit and now it works. I replaced the missing wheel center cap plus the one that fell off five minutes after I bought it thanks to the guy who put on the used tires.
One tire is flat today of course.
The car runs great, has a nearly perfect interior. I ordered a used trip computer for $15 plus shipping on ebay.
Now I just have to get it to pass smog, but I don´t think it will be a problem.
I´m very impressed with the ride and handling. A true Jaguar even as it celebrates its 25th birthday this month according to the production date.
I don´t know how many miles were put on it after the speedo stopped working, but I don´t think it was much since the car wasn´t registered for five years. All indicatiions are that the car sat for a very long time. Maybe that messed up the speed transducer also.
Has a little bit of rust around the rear window and I´ll get that addressed when the smog is done and I´ve got everything up to date. I´m looking forward to using it regularly.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:40 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by panza
I bought that car for only $1000. It had four wasted tires and I had to grab four used ones as an emergency measure. As I posted in another thread the speedo wasn´t working.
I got it back from the mechanic yesterday. Replaced the speed transducer, did a tune up. topped up the tranny fluid. Fortunately somebody told me it was type F only, because it was pretty hard to find out which kind to use. The fuel was contaminated and one tank sensor wasn´t working. The mechanic drained and cleaned both tanks and cleaned out the non functioning sending unit and now it works. I replaced the missing wheel center cap plus the one that fell off five minutes after I bought it thanks to the guy who put on the used tires.
One tire is flat today of course.
The car runs great, has a nearly perfect interior. I ordered a used trip computer for $15 plus shipping on ebay.
Now I just have to get it to pass smog, but I don´t think it will be a problem.
I´m very impressed with the ride and handling. A true Jaguar even as it celebrates its 25th birthday this month according to the production date.
I don´t know how many miles were put on it after the speedo stopped working, but I don´t think it was much since the car wasn´t registered for five years. All indicatiions are that the car sat for a very long time. Maybe that messed up the speed transducer also.
Has a little bit of rust around the rear window and I´ll get that addressed when the smog is done and I´ve got everything up to date. I´m looking forward to using it regularly.
Congratulations. It sounds like your car is coming along. Wow. For $1000, you got a steal. You are driving a true Jaguar. I have always like the Series I and III XJ's as well as the older Mark 2, S-Type, and 420 models. Those are the cars that gave Jag its identity. I will be checking this board for updates!

Old 06-24-2009, 08:27 AM

Thanks FloridaJag... I have the car all done now. The smog is finished and I have been driving it locally. I´m ready to start to use it for the murderous commute soon. Then I´m going to get the rust spots around the rear window fixed. I have two other Jags in the shop and want to get at least one back before I send this one to the body shop.
I´m amazed at how well it runs. There are a lot of series III available for sale in So Cal and I´ve checked out a bunch of them. None have run as well as this or had an interior that was in as good of condition. In fact, it turned out that I didn´t even need the trip computer. It was just disconnected. I just have some faded white paint and those typical rust spots to deal with. None around the windshield however. And I was lucky enough to get it at a bargain price too. The total fees to the state for the back registration and through next year was well over $700. I only had to pay $70 of that and the person who donated the car had paid all the rest.
After spending $2500 on an XJ40 that needs a head gasket, at least I can be happy about getting a good deal on a fine running Series III.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:10 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default JagUar for sale

Originally Posted by panza
Sounds like a plan, Doug. It´s not too much of a gamble because it´s running well now. I saw the thing in auto trader for $1500 but they said they would take 1100. Now I see it on craigslist for $2300. I called the people and they said the price they gave me still stands. I just couldn´t get back over there today.
Parking is becoming an issue, but I think I better grab this one before I resume looking at ones in worse condition for more money, which is what I´ve been seeing so far.
Hey Panza! If your in the market for something a little newer I have an X300 that I have to sell due to health reasons. I really hate to lose it but at this point I don't really see much else I can do.

It's a beautiful 1996 Black on Black which I'm told is actually pretty rare. I just put 4 new tires on it (this month and have driven it less than 100 miles) and the AC will make you put on an Artic parka. There is a problem with the tilt and cruise (needs new drive motor or at least new cables, right now it is in the all the way up and forward position so it's out of the way when getting in and out and the seat more than compensates when it comes to driving.

All the memory systems for the power seats work (memory on driver's side only) as does the cruise and power headrests. The 4.0 starts and runs smoothly and noiselessly. The transmission shifts cleanly and without hesitation or faulter. The Sport/Normal mode works in both modes and all the power windows go up and down quickly and smoothly. The paint is original and the hood could use some attention. (it's not ugly, but could use new paint and the clock does not read well. All the would is in very good to fine condition as are the seats and carpet. The car came from Palm Springs, CA so there is zero rust on it.

The car has 177,000 miles on it but I'm told it can be expected to run at least another 50 to 80,000 miles virtually trouble free (I take that for a "what is worth" comment.

I could give you a negotiable price but would rather give you a firm price as I don't like haggling. My price (established by necessity not desire) is $3500. If you are interested PM me and I will send you pitures of the car. Thanks, Coop (Poor Boy)

Old 08-23-2010, 07:20 AM

Looks like these were older posts, any updates on the progress with this car. Pictures.