Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worth sea foaming? How to?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 03:23 PM
Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Worth sea foaming? How to?

hello!

So i have been hearing a lot about seafoam in the last few days.

Wondering wether its something that you do every year, etc and what are the immediate benefits i would see /hear /feel?

My car is from an original owner with maintenance records but i don't see a mention of seafoaming within them.

Thank you all!

Last edited by chrisleg; 09-24-2018 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,955 Likes on 5,298 Posts

Never used it in my life. Never even heard of it till I came to this part of the world.
Therefore, I haven't missed out on it.
(';')

The following users liked this post:
chrisleg (09-27-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 07:36 AM
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Chris,
I'm a great lover of Seafoam.
My Jags a re a work in progress so I havent used it in them yet.
I dump a can of seafom in the wifes Lexus whenever she gets the "VCS" code on the dash.. ie the cat is not working up to snuff.
within a few days its gone and life continues.
I have a 1992 Mazda PU with 245k mile and I dump a 1/2 can in the oil twice a year. I pulled the valve cover off last year and was amazed at how clean the inside was.
I have also dumped 1/2 can down the carb to loosen the crud on the top end ,pistons and rings. (warning it will smoke like a mosquito control fogger for several hours afterwards)
And a can goes in the gas every couple of months.
So you can say I reallllly like the stuff.
The cheapest I've found is at Walmart by the way..
Dump a can in your oil when you about 500 miles of an oil change. and then 1/2 can to your new oil.
Bobmo

chrisleg (09-27-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 10:19 PM
Received 77 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm a little leery of using something like this in an older / high mileage engine that has never had it. Sometimes the crud that builds up is what is sealing the engine.

Old 09-27-2018, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by bobmo
Hi Chris,
I'm a great lover of Seafoam.
My Jags a re a work in progress so I havent used it in them yet.
I dump a can of seafom in the wifes Lexus whenever she gets the "VCS" code on the dash.. ie the cat is not working up to snuff.
within a few days its gone and life continues.
I have a 1992 Mazda PU with 245k mile and I dump a 1/2 can in the oil twice a year. I pulled the valve cover off last year and was amazed at how clean the inside was.
I have also dumped 1/2 can down the carb to loosen the crud on the top end ,pistons and rings. (warning it will smoke like a mosquito control fogger for several hours afterwards)
And a can goes in the gas every couple of months.
So you can say I reallllly like the stuff.
The cheapest I've found is at Walmart by the way..
Dump a can in your oil when you about 500 miles of an oil change. and then 1/2 can to your new oil.
Bobmo
Bobmo

I started looking around and seen some guys sticking it through the throttle body. Cleans out the excess carbon deposits apparently.

Have you tried this? I also know there is another version of seafoam with additives for newer engines, as the original was intended for 2 and 4 cycle engines.

Do you have any info on this?

Greatly appreciate it!

Chris

Old 09-28-2018, 08:26 AM
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

i Chris
I havent used it in a Throttle body, but cant imagine that t wont help.
Seafoam seems to work best when it has a chance to soak, Much like in a gas tank or in the oil pan.
When I have added it to the carb, they suggest to slowly dump 1/2 the can in the carb of a running fast idleing engine then either choke it out with a big slug or just shut the engine off.
At this point your cleaning up tour top end, valves, guides, and the combustion chamber stuff.
Let her sit for at least 1/2 hour, then start and drive her for several miles till all the crud ( now smoke) clears up.
They also recommend pulling the PCV hose and pouring some in to the intake this way.
Its just very nice stuff and slowly reduces sludge to a liquid that the filter can pick up or it blows out the tail pipe.
Bobmo

Old 10-09-2018, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by bobmo
i Chris
I havent used it in a Throttle body, but cant imagine that t wont help.
Seafoam seems to work best when it has a chance to soak, Much like in a gas tank or in the oil pan.
When I have added it to the carb, they suggest to slowly dump 1/2 the can in the carb of a running fast idleing engine then either choke it out with a big slug or just shut the engine off.
At this point your cleaning up tour top end, valves, guides, and the combustion chamber stuff.
Let her sit for at least 1/2 hour, then start and drive her for several miles till all the crud ( now smoke) clears up.
They also recommend pulling the PCV hose and pouring some in to the intake this way.
Its just very nice stuff and slowly reduces sludge to a liquid that the filter can pick up or it blows out the tail pipe.
Bobmo

hi Bob

you can also put it into your fuel tanks no? Cleans up the injectors and fuel tanks apparently. Question. If that's the case would it be in one tank or a can in both????

jaggy likes to drink hahaha

Old 10-10-2018, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I am not familiar with Sea foam. so, I will refrain from comment on it.

But, I admit bias as to snake oils. Modern oils are well loaded with detergents. And a good change regimine will keep the engines clean. Noting that EFI engines run much cleaner than the carb'd engines of yore.

Factoid: Black oil means the detergents re working and the cruds are in suspension, to be removed on the oil change.

Way back when, a product was touted to clean out the dirtiest of engines. Drizzzle in the carb of a running engine. White smoke beyond all belief. Today, the air quality folks would have a hissy. And, I'd have reservations as to how that would mess up the cats!!!!

But, true, throttle plates should be cleaned from time to time. Squirt and scrub is my method. Engine not running, of course….

Carl

chrisleg (10-11-2018)