XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

xj6 operations questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 10:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xj6 operations questions.

At the risk of sounding like a complete moron let me say this - I don't have an owners manual.

First, since I don't have that little plastic panel that houses the stereo and climate control knobs, could someone inform me of the settings of the climate control system? I've figured out that UP on the fan knob is defrost, but that's all I know for now.

Also, what is the capacity of the right side fuel tank? My fuel gauge doesn't work, and my tank switchover valve is disconnected (possibly due to the forklift gouge) (pictures coming soon)

This car has so much weird stuff on it that it may take me a while to figure it all out, but for driveability, these are the most important to me right now.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:45 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Greetings,

I went out and looked at an '83 parts car to make sure my memory was correct:

Left knob, up is full cold (65) and turns clockwise to full heat (85).

Right knob, up is Defrost, counterclockwise to High (fan speed), then Auto ( automatic temperature control, based on where the left knob is set), then to low (fan speed), then fully counterclockwise to off.

Both tanks are approximately 11.5 gallons each.

Excruciating trivia aside, that will get you down the road. Happy motoring!

Old 03-31-2009, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

do you not have the two black knobs either?

Jose

Old 03-31-2009, 11:18 AM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

Are the panels the same from a 77 SII to an 83 SIII? If they are, check out Brill's ad in the Private For Sale section...BrillsAd He may be able to get you some parts you need.

Where are the pix of your Falcon? This is the coolest 60 Falcon I've ever seen! Welcome to here Visinedrops.

Name:  60falconchop.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  18.5 KB

Old 03-31-2009, 11:53 AM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

The climate control faceplate from a Series II XJ6 (and earlier Series III) is silver, and has rounded corners. The '83 and later cars are black vinyl covered with pointed corners to suit the later center console panel. I have them in stock if you need one, along with plenty of knobs.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the knobs, but could use the faceplate. The guy who owned the car before me did a lot of dumb stuff to it, mainly because he lost the original keys.
The steering column housing is missing as well, hazard switch is completely destroyed, ignition switch was taken apart and an aftermarket switch was wired in. Left fuel tank cap latch is broken due to it having been pried open, trunk lock is inoperable, but the latch works...etc, etc, etc.

I'll grab the camera today and throw some pics on here of both my Jag and Falcon.

On a lighter note, I keep laughing about being a poor dude with a Jag. I think it's funny.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by Visinedrops
I've got the knobs, but could use the faceplate. The guy who owned the car before me did a lot of dumb stuff to it, mainly because he lost the original keys. The steering column housing is missing as well, hazard switch is completely destroyed, ignition switch was taken apart and an aftermarket switch was wired in. Left fuel tank cap latch is broken due to it having been pried open, trunk lock is inoperable, but the latch works...etc, etc, etc. I'll grab the camera today and throw some pics on here of both my Jag and Falcon. On a lighter note, I keep laughing about being a poor dude with a Jag. I think it's funny.
we are all poor folk here. (except Doug). :-))

looks like you have some reconstruction to do, but doesn't sound expensive, just a lot of trim parts and switches. The ignition switch can be found used. I recommend a new Hazard
Switch (last time I checked they were around $30.00 delivered). Do not disconnect the hazard switch until you have a new one.

Used parts are available from folks here as you already read from JTO, and including David at Everyday XJ. So start saving pennies here and there.

NOTE: there are two types of cover-plates: one has a large square opening for DIN-sized (modern) radios, and the older has a center squared opening and holes on each side for older style radios.

Jose