Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XJ6 S1 rear brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 01:32 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default XJ6 S1 rear brakes

Hi.

I need to replace the rear brake rotors and pads on my S1 XJ6. Do I need to take the IRS out?? My work shop manual says so, but really?? Seems odd. anyone done this with the IRS still boltet to the car? I'm going to replace the rear Wheel bearings s well while I'm at it.

Cheers!

Tor

Old 08-12-2014, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

Over all it's easier if you remove the IRS. There caliper bolts and hoses are very difficult to undo with the IRS in the car.

The following users liked this post:
Aviator-Olav (08-12-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 02:08 PM

Ok, removing the IRS seems drastic for something I consider routine maintenance. I guess that's the price to pay for driving an old British classic!
Where in NY are you icsamerica? I lived on Long Island from '98 to 2000

Old 08-12-2014, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,936 Posts

And when you get the IRS out of the car, you usually find it needs more than you originally thought, unless yours has had a recent overhaul. The inaccessibility of these brakes means they tend to get neglected. The handbrake calipers are a favourite for seizing up.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:03 PM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Having rebuilt an IRS (1973 XJ6) in recent times,it is a job I would not like attempt with the IRS in the car. The caliper bolts are hard enough to remove with it on the garage floor. The bolts marked with arrows are the easy ones to get to, and you can only turn them a tiny bit at a time in a space almost too small get a spanner over the bolt head.
The removal and replacement of the IRS is the most straight forward part of the job. 10 bolts,tailshaft and a brake hose is all you have to take off,but use a helper,I removed and replaced IRS on my own and found it difficult to manage but it is doable with patience.
Oh,and you have to remove rear mufflers and over axle pipes first.

Have really good look at the handbrake calipers,best idea is to take them apart and clean and lube the ratchet mechanisms inside while you have them off.
Don't be too distressed by the before and after shot of handbrake caliper,mine was in a fire.

XJ6 S1 rear brakes-dsc_9263.jpgXJ6 S1 rear brakes-dsc_9258.jpg
XJ6 S1 rear brakes-dsc_9240.jpgXJ6 S1 rear brakes-dsc_9266.jpg

Last edited by o1xjr; 08-12-2014 at 06:23 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by o1xjr:
314jjwalls (10-01-2016), Aviator-Olav (08-14-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by Aviator-Olav
Ok, removing the IRS seems drastic for something I consider routine maintenance. I guess that's the price to pay for driving an old British classic!
Where in NY are you icsamerica? I lived on Long Island from '98 to 2000

I'm in Staten Island NYC. There is a great car culture here on the South Shore. I know Long Island well, I have family in Elmont. As for Noway, never been there...but I have fond memories of all the seafarers from Norway I've met over the years when I worked in the shipping industry.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:36 AM

Cool. I lived in Ronkonkoma and Rocky Point. I got to see most of NY during my 2 years. I really miss it at times, especially the fall when the air dries up and all the leaves turn yellow and red.

I had planned to take the IRS out for an overhaul this Winter, but there's still a few months of nice weather ahead and I'm planning to use the car as my daily driver until the ground turns white. The problem is however that it won't pass its inspection due to rust on the rear brake rotors. Today a genius at work advised me to take it for a short spin with the hand brake sligtly engaged. That'll take the rust off and you're good to go 'til you do the overhaul this Winter. Well, I took his advise and guess what, now the hand brake is stuck on! The IRS is definately coming down now it looks like!

Old 08-13-2014, 03:06 PM

Update: I got the car up on Jack stands this evening. Releasing the hand brake was a breeze. I got some sanding paper, put the car in drive and spent some time cleaning up the old rotors. Hopefully it'll pass the inspection, so that I can postpone dropping the IRS 'til I park the car for the winter.

Cheers!

Old 08-13-2014, 03:51 PM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Originally Posted by Aviator-Olav
Update:I got some sanding paper, put the car in drive and spent some time cleaning up the old rotors. Hopefully it'll pass the inspection, so that I can postpone dropping the IRS 'til I park the car for the winter.

Cheers!
I work with heavy machinery with lots of internal moving parts and have seen some terrible accidents from people putting their hands in confined spaces with moving parts they can't stop .Flesh and bone won't stop moving machines.

Good luck with your inspection. You don't want to be removing that IRS twice.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by o1xjr
I work with heavy machinery with lots of internal moving parts and have seen some terrible accidents from people putting their hands in confined spaces with moving parts they can't stop .Flesh and bone won't stop moving machines.

Good luck with your inspection. You don't want to be removing that IRS twice.

Luckily this piece of machinery has a differential. Put a bit too much pressure on the sanding paper and the spinning wheel stops. Seriously though, I see what you mean, and I was hesitant meself. This procedure was outlined to me by a proffesional mechanic. In hindsight I don't find the procedure that frightening. I really doesn't take much to stop the wheel spinning on one side while the engine is idling. No way would it take off fingers etc.
Thanks for your concern though.