Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet Another Floor Pan Adventure FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Humour:

When do focused and obsessed have the same meaning? Or is it always?

Well, if the concours judge wants to remove the carpering and bolts to see if the threads are correct, I have two ideas:

1. He/she will not!

2. Run a fine thread tap into the nuts and make 'em fine!

3. The markings or lack thereof on the bolt heads might be a pointy loss.

4. Your car as mine would drive any concours judge over the hill!!! Way back when, a lister on another forum suggested I do that. He had a car that he thought was a winner, but judges 'nit picked" him.

New to me ignition switch came in. Ugh, slightly different!!!!

Carl

The following 2 users liked this post by JagCad:
LnrB (03-08-2015), ronbros (03-08-2015)
Old 03-08-2015, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

Originally Posted by JagCad
Humour:

When do focused and obsessed have the same meaning? Or is it always?

Well, if the concours judge wants to remove the carpering and bolts to see if the threads are correct, I have two ideas:

1. He/she will not!

2. Run a fine thread tap into the nuts and make 'em fine!

3. The markings or lack thereof on the bolt heads might be a pointy loss.

4. Your car as mine would drive any concours judge over the hill!!! Way back when, a lister on another forum suggested I do that. He had a car that he thought was a winner, but judges 'nit picked" him.

New to me ignition switch came in. Ugh, slightly different!!!!

Carl

Amen on that Jagcad, concours is almost stupid ,NO one can return to the womb!
for instance when some one says back to original,is totally and completely impossible, like a 1952 Jag cant get 1952 fuel in the tank, and cannot get 1952 air in the tires!!!

simple people who can afford high prices ,usually DONT do there own work, they just buy waht they want.

the real car guys redo/remake/rebuild there cars themselves, or at least 90% of car!

The following 2 users liked this post by ronbros:
LnrB (03-08-2015), o1xjr (03-08-2015)
Old 03-08-2015, 05:51 PM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Plus if you improve any bits they knock points off!!

But, hey ho, different strokes. Once had a discussion who was insisting it was wrong to use epoxy primer even if it was underneath cellulose as "it was wrong, not original etc".

The following 2 users liked this post by anjum:
LnrB (03-08-2015), ronbros (03-10-2015)
Old 03-08-2015, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,934 Likes on 5,284 Posts

anjum, how did the judge know it was epoxy primer?? Were you asked?

Concourse has got so stinky that our Jaguar club, which I'm told used to hold one every year, hasn't been able to hold one for 2 years because of the aforementioned nit-pickiness of the Concourse body of JCNA and the stringent rules they've adopted. It isn't fun for anyone anymore, even the member with the XK-140 who's won his class two years running.

In our old car club, one couple had a Corvette they entered and it placed a time or two, but they spent Days beforehand with toothbrushes Under the car, After it was steam cleaned underneath, cleaning Everything a judge could Possibly see even with a mirror!

I'll settle for an occasional Show & Shine.
(';')

The following users liked this post:
ronbros (03-10-2015)
Old 03-09-2015, 09:12 AM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

It wasn't a judge, just a restoration "expert".
But "how would you know" (apart from the car would last longer) was my point which he wouldn't accept. I got bored and walked away.

Never had a car good enough for entering into a concourse show not sure I would anyway from the sound of it.

The following 2 users liked this post by anjum:
LnrB (03-09-2015), ronbros (03-10-2015)
Old 03-10-2015, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

few yrs back i was a at car show in Jax Fl.

a whole row of XJS, 5 convertibles 2 coupes, and my XJS roadster at the end!
well most onlookers would walk on by the perfect XJS(all the same converts,just different colors),and coupes, and would stop and talk CARS and Jags with me,(by the way young guys were the most interested, simply because it was different and unusual).

when asked what was stock? i said nothing everything is modified, to my personal liking!

The following 2 users liked this post by ronbros:
LnrB (03-10-2015), o1xjr (03-11-2015)
Old 03-14-2015, 05:36 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Floor pans are all done. Seam sealed and a final coat of paint on them. Now I have to move on to the front fender area!

Attached Thumbnails Yet Another Floor Pan Adventure FAQ-img-20150314-00071.jpg   Yet Another Floor Pan Adventure FAQ-img-20150314-00072.jpg  
Old 03-14-2015, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member

Very nice, Myke!
Yes, Very nice indeed!
(';')

Old 04-11-2015, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member
Default Finished!

I'm Finished with the floor and all the related rust and corrosion remediation.

I got all the carpets in, *Correctly* which they weren't, probably since restoration/conversion in 1986. They All fit! There are no lumps or rolls, wrinkles or bunch-ups where someone was not careful enough to get it right the first time. The stainless steel sill plates are back in their proper places too.

The driver seat had an electric seat adjustment contraption that was never connected to power and weighed a Ton! It raised that seat 1-1/4 inches but was such that there was no reasonable way to get that seat in or out. I got the idea to jettison the whole assembly and put in 1 inch spacers under the seat rails to give me the height, but lose that 25 pound adjuster.

In so doing I lost those poorly thought out hex-head bolts which were nearly Impossible to remove (vise grip required as shown below)! I have 5/16 coarse custom fabricated slotted head bolts in them now, which allow the seats to go in and out in a snap, only needing a screwdriver and box
wrench! (yes, they've had more than one trial fit.) But both seats are cleaned and installed in their proper places.

I'm glad I did this, because otherwise I would have had Serious rust/corrosion trouble before very much longer, possibly compromising the structural integrity of the whole car. However, I Never thought it would take this long! It might have gone quicker if I'd had any idea what I was really doing.

The most stressful part was welding because after that there was no going back; it Had to be right the first time. Fortunately it was, but I hope that with all the anti-rust treatments, not only on the floors but everywhere else I could reach, I Never have to do something like this again! Certainly it won't be needed on this car because before that time I plan to completely use it up!

This ends my Floor Pan project. Thank you all for looking in during this Adventure.
(';')

Attached Thumbnails Yet Another Floor Pan Adventure FAQ-rightfloordone.jpg   Yet Another Floor Pan Adventure FAQ-leftfloordone.jpg   Yet Another Floor Pan Adventure FAQ-removaltools.jpg   Yet Another Floor Pan Adventure FAQ-powerseatmechanism.jpg   Yet Another Floor Pan Adventure FAQ-seatmotor.jpg  

Yet Another Floor Pan Adventure FAQ-custombolt.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by LnrB:
o1xjr (04-11-2015), ukborn (02-03-2024), yarpos (04-13-2015)
Old 04-11-2015, 11:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammersmith
Floor pans are all done. Seam sealed and a final coat of paint on them. Now I have to move on to the front fender area!
I'm feeling inadequate now. The bottom of your car is shinier than the top of mine. Never mind , other priorities at the moment, of to the garage to determine why it will not start :-)

Well done on your work, it looks better than new.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:55 PM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Thanks Elinor, it has been an interesting read through the whole process. I must commend you on a job well done, one I would not like to take on!
You spent your winter repairing/ restoring your car while I was driving mine. Now we have winter coming on it will be more driving for me as its is our dry season with blue sky's and reasonable temps,rather than the 30-40c we get in summer.
Winter in Queensland, best time of the year(just like NZ's summer). Perfect for riding/driving/boating.

LnrB (04-12-2015)
Old 04-19-2015, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Faq'd as requested...

Old 03-30-2016, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a beautiful result.
I am just in the beginning of this process with my floor panel. I was wondering something, I saw that the panels have holes en nuts for the gaspedal. Are there also nuts welded on the panel for the carpets?
I hope you can answer my question.
I think of buying the panel at Sgnbarrat,
because of my country, the Netherlands.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member

Hello, Tom,
Thank you for your kind words. I'm quite surprised to see my thread pop up again after this long, and almost Shocked to see how many have accessed it since I finished this project in April, 2015 with just over 8000 views!

To answer your question, No, the carpet keepers are Not included in the replacement pan. In fact, I didn't even know what those were at the time.

I have water-proofed the pan on the driver side, my worst one, and glued the padding and carpet down on that side, except for the top most layer, which I left loose for easier cleaning. This has been satisfactory for me because I don't scuff my feet around very much.

I hope I've understood your question and answered it satisfactorily.
(';')

Old 07-10-2016, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Default Carpet Keepers

Nix has two layers of carpet on top of several layers of sound deadening and various padding, amounting to a thickness of about an inch, as shown earlier in this thread.

Some of it was sufficiently glued to the floor pan but some of it, like the top most black decorative layer of carpet, was not. This meant that husband's feet especially but also mine to a lesser degree, always had the carpet wadded up in the front, exposing the lighter carpet underneath to the tracked in detritus from street and parking lot, and preventing the accelerator pedal from fully letting off the gas. This hadn't caused any problems YET because I was aware, but it made me nervous about what might happen in a panic situation.

The original floor pan had round hollow tower-like structures (the replacement floor pan had none of these) which were a complete mystery to me until Jose posted their purpose; to hold pegs which held the carpets in place, preventing exactly the situation I had.

Usually called Panel Keepers, most of the types I could find were simply too short, about 1 inch max. These barely made it through the layers of carpet etc. let alone into any structure to lock down.

However, when I asked my friendly NAPA dealer, the counter man brought out a HUGE loose leaf sort of notebook which contained examples of all such accessories available - for special order of course, but at least they had them!

These were Perfect!

1 1/2 inches long, they come in a package of 5 for $5.95, maybe a little steep for what they are, but they Work!!

I only put on on the passenger side (which still has the keeper towers) because the other tower is right next to the tunnel and very difficult to reach. This single peg should hold the carpet in position anyway, and if it doesn't, I can put in the other one.

Driver side was simple. There were no "towers" in the replacement pan so I just drilled a hole in what looked to be about the right spot to keep the carpet away from the accelerator pedal. It looks good even close up.

The fact there's only one keeper on each side is a special, purpose built customization. Some people pay extra for those! LOL

I think the floor is finished now for as long as Nix lives.
(';')

Old 07-23-2018, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 475 Posts

What a great story and project! Don't you just love undoing prior work that has been poorly executed... Not.

Did you ever get the front windscreen and rear glass properly sealed? Inquiring minds want to know.

JR

Old 07-23-2018, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you, JR!
Rear was never a problem. I did get the front sealed, in case we get caught *accidentally* in a surprise shower (which has happened twice!). If there's a good chance of rain, Nix stays home. No use to temp providence with unnecessary water trapped in impossible places to quietly eat away at 40+ year old British steel.
(';')

Old 07-24-2018, 01:22 AM
Received 3,804 Likes on 2,784 Posts

Originally Posted by LnrB
No use to temp providence with unnecessary water trapped in impossible places to quietly eat away at 40+ year old British steel.
(';')
I'm with you Elinor

LnrB (07-24-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 11:31 AM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

Well, this IS a Jaguar after all. Every single other thing I have touched on this car to repair, adjust, replace or clean has turned out to be about 4 times the work and expense I originally thought it should be.
(';')
I had read through this entire thread several weeks ago and this line from post #11 really stuck with me. So true, and prophetic from the onset of this project thread!

LnrB (07-25-2018)
Old 12-10-2021, 07:12 PM
Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

A brown box mysteriously appeared on the front porch while everyone was gone yesterday. THE FLOOR PAN ARRIVED!

Source:
Wolf Steel Enterprises
1 Ballerina Rd.
Freleighsberg, Quebec J0J 1C0
Canada

This is the half length version and it measures 32 inches long, 17-1/2 inches to the first break on the wide end, 13-1/2 inches to the first break on the narrow end. They also sell a full length version which I don't need as the back floor is Pristine.

As promised the captive nuts are present for the gas pedal mount and there is 1/2 inch of extra material to allow for lap welding.

The Welder stopped by to have a look last night and gave me some hints how to cut the existing floor to make it easier for him to put this into place. He's confident he can do the job in a couple hours once I get all the carpet and 'stuff' out of the way.

I would like to have it in tomorrow (no impatience here!) but it's only early November, I have lots to do before the car is Even ready for this, and there's lots of time.
(';')
I know this post was ages ago but would you recommend ordering these panels? I'm also checking to see if they are still available. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Yet Another Floor Pan Adventure FAQ