XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1990 Speedo Transducer Location

Old 06-14-2018, 07:07 PM
Received 169 Likes on 133 Posts

Requested photo of speedo transducer

Attached Thumbnails 1990 Speedo Transducer Location-90-xjs-differential-fill-plug.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (06-15-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 10:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,047 Likes on 2,028 Posts

Just to make it clear, there are two different types of speedo signal generator: The earlier cars has one that was mounted on the rear of the transmission, the later type is a differential pickup , as in the photo above.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jagboi64:
Greg in France (06-15-2018), orangeblossom (06-15-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 02:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Kariblay

I am not an Auto Electrician or an electrical Genius like 'Warrjon' so there could be a number of reasons why your Speedo isn't working and mine decided to suddenly drop out

So faced with the choice of paying a 'Shop' to fix it, where they could charge you 'megabucks' I decided to try and fix it myself

There are 3 Main places where there could be a fault but that is not exhaustive, as you could have a faulty component or maybe a bad earth or it could be something else entirely different

So I decided to tackle what I considered to be the easiest first (others may have a different view) but I decided to take the Instrument Binnacle out

I was a little bit scared of doing this, as I have heard horror stories of those who have damaged something to such an extent that the Speedo will never work again

So you have to be REALLY CAREFUL not to damage the printed circuit because you cannot but another one

This is not a 'Big Hammer Job' you need to be as Careful as a 'Watchmaker'

You don't have much slack on those Multiplug Leads and its quite hard to see what you're doing

But basically there are 2 Multiplugs that plug into the back of the Printed Circuit which is attached to the back of the Instrument Binnacle

So once you've undone the Screws that hold the Instrument Binnacle in. you then have to VERY CAREFULLY ease it out of the dash as much as you dare

And then reach in with your hand in order to CAREFULLY disconnect (ie pull out) the 2 Multiplugs that are plugged in to the Printed Circuit

After which you can Pull the Instrument Binnacle out and then once having done so you can CAREFULLY clean the Multiplugs and Sockets

There is a Step by Step Guide of how I did this including Photos on my 'Cherry Blossom' restoration thread

And here is a link to that Page https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...122634/page76/

This is Not a guaranteed fix but it worked for me and now my Speedo is working as it should be

But you could equally have a fault with the Transducer or the little Black Box in the Boot/Trunk which is tucked under the Wing/Fender

I didn't go near either of these because I decided to have a look at the Instrument Binnacle First and although this fixed it for me, it might equally not fix it for you

If you are still unsure about this I would get some advice from 'Warrjon' and 'Jay Jag Jay' has also done the fix from the Transducer

At the end of the day its really you're call which way you want to go but if you decide that you want to pull the Instrument Binnacle out be VERY, VERY, CAREFUL, not to damage that Printed Circuit!
OB,

I cleaned things per your description and now my speedo works. Thanks!

Karl

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (06-29-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Hi Karl

Well done!

Glad you managed to get the Speedo working

Old 06-29-2018, 08:28 PM

Ok...I spoke too soon...was working fine, then it started to behave erratically.

It seems that when the engine gets hot, it acts up...when the engine is cooler, it works fine....sound like anything to anybody?

Old 07-28-2018, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Kariblay
Ok...I spoke too soon...was working fine, then it started to behave erratically.

It seems that when the engine gets hot, it acts up...when the engine is cooler, it works fine....sound like anything to anybody?

Ok, cleaned the binnacle tangs per orangeblossum, just swapped out the speedo transducer on the diff....and the speedo still bounces around...then drops to zero.

Suggestions?

thanks...Karl