XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1990 XJS Interior Lights Not Working

Old 08-09-2017, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 892 Posts
Default 1990 XJS Interior Lights Not Working

Hello Everyone.

I've been working on this amazing project of a 1990 Jaguar XJS and I have run into a problem that I can't seem to find a lot of info on.

My interior/courtesy lights don't work and I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction...?

Old 08-09-2017, 04:56 PM
Banned
Received 260 Likes on 169 Posts

The rear lights, try pushing them as they will turn off and on that way.

The following users liked this post:
JayJagJay (08-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 02:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,077 Likes on 5,345 Posts

Originally Posted by JayJagJay
Hello Everyone.

I've been working on this amazing project of a 1990 Jaguar XJS and I have run into a problem that I can't seem to find a lot of info on.

My interior/courtesy lights don't work and I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction...?
Do none of them work, or just not the central one by the mirror, or just not the four rectangular lights?

JayJagJay (08-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 05:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

In my car, I had no interior lights. Neither inside nor in the boot/trunk. 1st a fuse had blown. 2nd ALL the bulbs had popped ends (the bulbs had basically broken up).

Iirc the fuse is under the steering column.

JayJagJay (08-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member

Good Morning.

Thanks for all of the responses!

So, none of them work. The "door open buzzer" sounds. The puddle courtesy lights work, just NONE of the interior light LESS the two trunk lights. Not under the dash on either side. Not by the mirror (didnt even know about that one) or the two in the space behind the seats... I have checked the condition of the bulbs. Tried replacing one (not with a new NEW bulb which is a best idea). Also have checked fuses but for other matters. SO, the fuse is under the dash. Thats good to know. I will also start probing around with a test light.

Is there a "breaker" for the lights?

And, @macdoesit - what do you mean by "The rear lights, try *pushing them* as they will turn off and on that way."? Pushing,,,, what?

I have a ways to go with other things on the car. It bugs the hell out me that I'm as STUMPED on an interior/courtesy light thing. Thanks Jaguar, lol.

If there is a good fuse diagram I would love that. Or electrics.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

He is refering to cabrio lights. They are the same in the rear as the top center dome light on coupes. The rear ones are on the same circuit as upper light...

JayJagJay (08-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

Hey! Cool thanks...

Ok. I may be dense but pls understand,,, I don't have the *feel* for this car that only driving it over time would give. Not yet. That time is coming with a bit more road readiness, insurance and the DMV, lol. For now,,, are you saying that there is a button (on the dash?), that if pushed, activates the lights on the ceiling (mine is convertible) and the rear lights in the area behind the seats? If so,,, should they still activate by opening the doors? And, does that button, switch also activate the lights just under and on either side of the dash? All courtesy/interior lights?

And, if they still don't work with the switch, any suggestions on where to go from there?

Old 08-10-2017, 12:41 PM
Received 67 Likes on 41 Posts

So, I have a convertible as well, but it is not with me, So I am going from memory. Bear with me.

Do you have an owner's manual? You will find a fuse diagram in there, as well as pictures on how to get to the fuse boxes. If memory serves, one box is under the wheel, and one is under the glove box. I don't remember which has which, but I think the courtesy lights are under the glove box. The boxes open by unscrewing a large plastic screw, the padding drops down, hiding the fuse box (again, if I don't have this exactly right, it's because the car is not here, but you're looking for fuse boxes.

Based on your description, I do think we are looking for a blown fuse. Not a breaker, a fuse.

Once you have the fuses all a-tanto, we can move to switches. I had a similar problem once, but it was the fuse... but I learned a lot about switches in the process. As I recall, there are two switches on the dash that control the footwell lights. I believe one either allows the lights to go on when the door opens, or does not, the other turns on the light on the passenger side (i.e. A map light). I'm fuzzy on that.

In the back are two "rocker lights". That is to say, the entire plastic lens is a rocker. I think (but am not sure) it's a three way. Pressed in one way, the light is always on. Pressed in the other, it's always off. In neutral, it's on when the door is opened, and off when a door is closed. If you press on edges of the lens, this "rocker" will be apparent.

But I really think you need to check all fuses first. Fuse 1 rings a bell... but check them all. First principles: Always check the fuses!

JayJagJay (08-11-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

The door lights and roof light (near the mirror) are independant of the interior light switch and delay unit, they are switched directly from the door switches.

I would suspect either the delay unit or interior light switch. The switch would be my first suspect, try pushing it in and out a number of times. Also check the connector to the switch.

Here is the electrical diagram

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Elec...Electrical.pdf

Old 08-11-2017, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member

AMAZZZING Warren! Got it.
Edelweiss - LOVE the video!

Warren - "CherryPie" is shaping up nicely. Grant has kinda taken over walking me thru LOTS of line via gmail... Super grateful for you all's support. My HOPE is to really get down to documenting a lot of the questions, hurdles and accomplishments made so far... I feel I owe it to the forum. CherryPie has been taking all of my free time.

Hope you're well. Thanks for the info above!

Old 08-11-2017, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member

Glad you got it sorted, one more thing to tick off the list.

I'm always happy to help especially on stuff I know like the electronic/electrical issues.

BTW I have just bought another AC ECM so I can hopefully start repairing them as no circuit diagram is available from Valeo

Old 08-11-2017, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member

Sorted? Ohhhh not just yet. I was just reinstalling a gas tank a friend and I tinned in a couple of spots. There were pinholes that developed AFTER I did my best to shake out and derust the gas tank. Then coated rest of bottom with a nice thick coat of epoxy. Down the line, soon, the tank will have to be replaced. Saving my pennies... Rebuilt fuel rail, brakes, brake lines, modulator for tranny, replace vacuum hoses, some electrical repairs. Still have floor board to weld in. Lots more. Nothing that's got me feeling under the wheels, if you know what I mean? Still haven't taken her for a spin, yet... When I said "got it" I meant the perfect set of diagrams I needed to start tracking down the lights. I'll get it!

So, what's an AC ECU??? Air conditioner? And, do you have any suggestions for converting the AC system that won't break the bank? Also,,,, with no freon and no intention on using the AC system anytime soon - do I NEED to add the 10-11 oz of compressor oil,,, in your experience,,, before running her? Or,,,,?

Any who. Thanks again. This has been a great experience,,, so far. Fingers crossed!

Old 08-11-2017, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member

I have seen a couple of people install vintage Air Gen 2 compac this fits in the space of the Delanair and you can remove the Jaguar blowers. In Australia these cost about $800AUD plus compressor.

Yes the AC ECM is the air conditioning computer. I repaired mine a few years ago but it failed again and would not open the face vents. I know what the problem with it is but as all the PCB tracks run inside the PCB I can not find the damaged track. So with the new ECM I can trace the tracks and repair my ECM

Last edited by warrjon; 08-11-2017 at 08:41 PM.