XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1996 xjs front sub frame

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 05:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1996 xjs front sub frame

Hi Im new at this and am not sure how to ask a question,
but her it is. I have a crack in the area around the left hand side upper control arm mount a part of the front sub frame itself.I was able to get the front sub frame out of a 1995 xjs which is in good condition,will this bolt right into my 1996 xjs. thanks kenr

Old 09-24-2014, 01:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,078 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Yes it will, no bother.
greg

Old 09-24-2014, 06:07 PM

Kenr says thank you this helps.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:29 PM
Default 1996 xjs cracked front subframe

Hi all: I am in the process of taking out my old front subframe and replacing it with another unit from a 1995 xjs, does anyone have any hints or suggestions for doing this job? I am working alone with just floor jacks and no lift. thanks kenr.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,078 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by kenr
Hi all: I am in the process of taking out my old front subframe and replacing it with another unit from a 1995 xjs, does anyone have any hints or suggestions for doing this job? I am working alone with just floor jacks and no lift. thanks kenr.
Ken
Work slowly and methodically. You CANNOT do this without the necessary tools and axle stands. Also, I am assuming the new subframe is ready to go with all the suspension and brakes etc on it. If not, post again about how to remove these things. With no lift you need, IMO, at least the following:
  • Two big strong axle stands
  • A big floor jack, one that that will lift the car 3 feet off the ground
  • A beam with chains on threaded rods that goes across the engine bay and stands in the wing gutters, this will be to hold the engine up when you undo the subframe (eg Sealey)
  • A/F and metric spanners and sockets
Basically this is what you do:
  • place the beam across the rear of the engine and fix the threaded lifters to the lifting eyes on the engine, JUST take the weight
  • disconnect the battery
  • remove the air filter covers and using a short ratchet spanner, undo the nut on top of the front engine mounting each side. This is very hard to get to but it can be done.
  • undo the shock absorbers at the top in the engine bay
  • chock the back wheels as well as parking brake and in park, and jack up the car under the middle of the front subframe and then place the axle stands under the front jacking points so the front of the car is well over 2 feet off the ground.
  • undo brake flexibles, disconnect the steering rack from the column,
  • undo the earth strap from the LHS lower chassis rail
  • undo the lower end of the anti roll bar drop link where it attaches to the ARB
  • I think this is all, but look around carefully !!
  • the subframe with the suspension on it is now held to the car by FOUR fixings: Two at the rear and two at the front. THe rear two undo from below, one big nut on each. The front two involve a HUGE bolt that goes through the middle of the "six shot" round bush each side.
  • support the frame under the middle with the jack and carefully undo the two REAR fixings. LOOSEN but do not remove the two huge bolts at the front
  • carefully lower the jack and the subframe, with a bit of a thump on it if necessary, should swing downwards pivoting on the front two fixings.
  • undo and remove the front two bolts and it is off. If you put the wheels back on before lowering it, you can, with difficulty, wheel it out of the way!
Greg

The following users liked this post:
texasscot (09-27-2014)
Old 09-27-2014, 07:32 AM

Greg:
Thank you very much for the helpful information,Iam making very good progress on the sub frame replacement.The old sub frame is out and the new sub frame is in. I am now spending time checking the small details and making sure I did not forget anything.
This is a job I do not want to do again any time soon!
Thanks again Ken