XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

23,000 mile XJS ALL Original

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 04:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 23,000 mile XJS ALL Original

New to the forum, but I had a 86 XJS years ago, and want another. Last one I had needed thousands of dollars in repair, so I sold it.
This car is perfect, showroom new...except when I asked if he had done any replacement of belts, hoses, fluids, seals, he said it's ALL Original, just been sitting in California climate, so nothing needs to be done..just drive it.
I think after reading here and my past experience, everything needs to be replaced..?? How do you experts feel about this car.
He is asking $12,000.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:41 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,176 Posts

You're only going to get out of this as much as you're willing to put in.

You haven't specified a model year, nor engine type.

That's only the beginning. Have you squeezed a hose? Turned on the A/C? Rust?

There are old rusted out cars sitting in barns for decades that have low miles and are all original. That doesn't necessarily make them worth much.

Lets try to pass on some info, not just I found a car, is it any good?

Old 05-11-2012, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

well my car was stored in florida for 14 years. its in great shape with no rust, but it doesnt run worth a **** and the previous owner had several grand into replacement parts and service that didnt help.

just my $.02

Old 05-11-2012, 06:28 PM

Sorry bout that. I'm at work and well you know..anyway it's a 1990 v12. I have not seen the car yet. Was going to see it this weekend as I am going to that city anyway. Just figured seals, hoses, etc would need replacing. AC blows cold I'm told. Has a over sized Sears battery with a trickle charger on it. Has not been driven in a long time. Just sitting in a garage.
Perfect paint, no rust, and interior is like new.
Didn't want to pay top price if you guys thought I should have everything replaced, as it has been sitting so long.
I'm not a handy person, so will have to have much of it done.
That's about all I know of the car.
Any thoughts on what you would do will be appreciated.
If I see it this weekend, I can share what I find.
Thanks

Old 05-11-2012, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member

cars that have been sitting for long periods of time are nothing but trouble. especially if your gonna be footing the labor bill, and ESPECIALLY at that price.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:53 PM

That's what I was thinking. Seen so much on the forums about keeping things fresh..especially AC.
I'll keep looking, plenty of cars out there.
Really, really appreciate your time.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by oktoberjag
That's what I was thinking. Seen so much on the forums about keeping things fresh..especially AC.
I'll keep looking, plenty of cars out there.
Really, really appreciate your time.

i hope you get one. the other day i finally managed to come face to face, for the second time, with the exact same XJS rouge that sparked my love affair with these cars. ill never forget that feeling, and i bet most people on this board feel the same way.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

M90, I can remember the first time as I child I saw an XJS on the road, and asked my dad what it was. Fast forward a few years, a couple of months before my 13th birthday. He took me to the local dealership and took a (Christ was it Signal or Sebring) red XJS for an extended drive. Even let me get behind the wheel. Dream Fuel.

On topic: for $12k, I would expect ultra low mileage, time capsule looks, and a complete mechanical overhaul.

Absolutely, keep looking.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Flint Ironstag
On topic: for $12k, I would expect ultra low mileage, time capsule looks, and a complete mechanical overhaul.

Absolutely, keep looking.
if i had 12K to spend on an XJS, i would buy an XKR. but if i decided to go against my best judgement and spend it on an XJS anyways, then one could get a moderately nice 6.0L coupe, or a REALLY nice HE.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

back to dream fuel If I had $12k to drop on an XJS, I would find a perfect body + interior, then a cheap (but solid) engine. Twin turbo that sonuvagun, and drop a Johns 4 speed kit.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:57 AM
Veteran Member

if i had 8k more to drop into my XJS, i would get a 6.0 TWR forged crank, rods, and pistons. remote mounted EDIS setup to get the distributor out of the way. shorten the intake runners to about 3 or 4 inches, and plant a big ol intercooled Gen V M90 down into the V. put the rest into a paint job.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience with an all original time capsule car, was that it required new belts, new hoses, new seals, new cam seal gaskets, new tires, new battery, new fluids, etc. The car looks brand new, but it was several thousand dollars to get it up and running again after 10 years of storeage. You just have to determine if you want something in show quality condition that you are willing to put some $ into. $12K is probably way too high if you are going to have to get put in running order again.

Good luck and best regards,
Dino

Old 05-12-2012, 06:43 AM
Veteran Member

one more thing i thought was funny was the oversized battery. the factory battery will barely fit in the tray the way it is.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:39 AM

Yes, it might run great for a while, but all those tasks must be done.
Of all the cars out there, I just keep coming back to an XJS.
Too much money I think, and he ain't coming down much, as he believes it's a ready to drive forever car.
I remember when they first came out, and I could not afford one. Used to go to the showroom and drool.
My 86 was ok for a while, then started losing power. Tech said 3K to start, so I sold it. Then in six months the lady I sold it to was begging me to buy it back.

I'll keep looking!
Nice to chat with you all, you saved me some grief!

Old 05-12-2012, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member

personally i like a good project. what i dont like is keeping up with a car that regularly has issues, such as my grand prix. ive got more broken axles and transmission for that car......

Old 05-13-2012, 04:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oktoberjag
Too much money I think, and he ain't coming down much, as he believes it's a ready to drive forever car.
I remember when they first came out, and I could not afford one. Used to go to the showroom and drool.

I'll keep looking!
Nice to chat with you all, you saved me some grief!
The XJS is a beautiful car. It might be the right car for you, you just have to find the right one. If the owner thinks its ready to drive forever without changing belts, hoses, fluids etc, he's crazy.

By not coming down much he might be missing a good opportunity to sell, if he really wishes to. I had a friend that held out on selling a Porsche 928 because he wanted $4,000 more than the best offer he got. I think when he finally found another buyer, he sold it for $4,000 less than the previous buyer had offered.

Good luck and best regards,
Dino

Old 05-19-2012, 07:41 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't understand the comments about hoses, belts and seals needing to be done so avoid the low milage well stored vehicle?????

Every XJS out there needs those things done every few years anyway, so why avoid one that is in perfect cosmetic condition.

Cosmetics are waaaaay more expensive to fix than a hose kit, and fluid change.

Dave
Atlanta

Old 05-19-2012, 08:19 AM
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Cars are like art. Worth whatever someone is willing to pay. A super low mileage well stored car is worth more. However do not be fooled into thinking it is a perfect car. Hoses, belts and tires are the first thing to replace. They go bad just from age. Fluids should be changed next. Sometime seals dry out due to sitting and will require replacement. If the car is really clean and rust free then make an offer of what you are willing to spend. I would not drive a car across the street that has old tires.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,755 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by ATL Dave
I don't understand the comments about hoses, belts and seals needing to be done so avoid the low milage well stored vehicle?????

Every XJS out there needs those things done every few years anyway, so why avoid one that is in perfect cosmetic condition.

Cosmetics are waaaaay more expensive to fix than a hose kit, and fluid change.

Dave
Atlanta

All true! And I'd gladly pay a premium for mint cosmetics.

It's just a matter of being aware that the mechanicals will need attention....and, as you say, that applies to any XJS eventually.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-19-2012, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,755 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Edge
Cars are like art. Worth whatever someone is willing to pay. A super low mileage well stored car is worth more. However do not be fooled into thinking it is a perfect car. Hoses, belts and tires are the first thing to replace. They go bad just from age. Fluids should be changed next. Sometime seals dry out due to sitting and will require replacement. If the car is really clean and rust free then make an offer of what you are willing to spend. I would not drive a car across the street that has old tires.

Agreed, although personally brake hydraulics would be #1 on my list.....and fuel system rust may be the deciding factor in whether or not the buyer can jump in the car and start using it right away :-)

In my experience low mileage isn't a problem. It's "dead storage" that's a problem. IF the car has been driven occasionally... 2-3 times a year, accumulating, let's say, 200 miles a year, it probably won't have suffered too much. If it sat *unused* year after year, well...that might be a different story.

But yes, fresh hoses, belts, fluids, etc will be needed and are are something a savvy new owner does anyway.

Cheers
DD

Quick Reply: 23,000 mile XJS ALL Original