XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

'87 XJS Horn Problems....

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 09:16 AM
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Default '87 XJS Horn Problems....

My '87 XJS horn doesn't work, never has since I've owned the car from last year. I read previous posts here about the troubleshooting and with the schematic I have been able to physically ground the horn relay pin with the ignition switch on and the horn works perfect. Last night I removed the lower drivers side panel (LHD) to find the ground switch pins on the steering column. I had already removed the steering wheel horn cover to verify that when I ground the rod at the top of the column shaft the horn is still not working. My continuity check from the column shaft to engine ground is good (0 ohms). That tells me that "switched ground" is lost either inside the column or in the PB (Purple/Black?) wire that goes from the column to the horn relay pin.

I'd like to find the wire connection at the column (PB) so I can ground it there to see if this turns the horn on but I haven't found it yet. I found a pix of the column here on the forums but it is different than my XJS (maybe XJ6?).
Questions:
Are the connections on the column top side that I can't see on this model?
Do I have to pull the whole upper steering column down to get to it?
Shouldn't I be able to see the PB wire from underneath going to the column?
Do I have to remove the fuse panel to get access to it this connection?

As many on her know the XJS coupe has extremely small leg room to work in so I'd like to have my facts together before I contort my poor body anymore than necessary! Any help here would be much appreciated. thanks, ........Mike

Old 07-20-2018, 11:47 AM

Okay, checked the Horn Circuit Checklist and it looks like the problems are at the steering column contacts, which I haven't found yet. I found a Jag XJS steering column on eBay with pix that now tell me what I'm looking for and what the contacts look like. I think my car has these 2 contacts covered up by the fuse box and wiring. Is that correct? Do I need to drop the fuse box out of the way? Do I need to just drop the whole column down to get to these 2 contacts that I now see are at the upper end of the column. from the pix on eBay?

Old 07-20-2018, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,089 Likes on 5,352 Posts

Look for the two copper wipers on the steering column.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:42 PM

Thanks Greg. Now I know what I'll be doing tonight and tomorrow.
Do you know of anything that has to be removed (other than the lower panel) to access these 2 brass contacts on the column?
Is there a particular procedure I should use to clean these contacts if this is the problem?