XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

'89 Rouge XJS water pressure problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 12:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '89 Rouge XJS water pressure problem

Hi y'all,

A while back, I blew a water hose on the right side of the engine, but ever since then there has been pressure in the water system and the water wants to leak out of the driver side small hoses going into what looks like the power steering reservoir. Also, my power steering has been out a while and I'm wondering if there is any way that the power steering is somehow flowing into the water system on this car? I had power steering fluid put in and it started showing up in the radiator immediately after.

I tried starting the car with the radiator cap off, and water came gushing out of it as soon as I turned it over. Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance for help.

Cheers,
Chris.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

possibly blown headgasket on the water pressure issue.

the power steering should be a self contained unit, unless you have some sort of cooler. maybe other will chime in. what do you mean by "started showing up in the radiator system immediately"? did you test for PS fluid in your coolant?

also, terms such as "drivers side" are virtually no help on this forum without also being accompanied by country.

also, the rouge was my first true love. pics please.

Last edited by M90power; 06-29-2012 at 02:49 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:18 PM
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

I bet the power steering reservoir you are referring to is actually the radiator expansion tank. The power steering reservoir is integral to the pump and is really only accessible by a good funnel.

There is really no way power steering fluid can enter the cooling system with the exception of someone pouring it in.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Edge
I bet the power steering reservoir you are referring to is actually the radiator expansion tank. The power steering reservoir is integral to the pump and is really only accessible by a good funnel.

There is really no way power steering fluid can enter the cooling system with the exception of someone pouring it in.
Well, that makes sense. I think people have been putting power steering fluid in the radiator expansion tank. Is there any way that pressure could be building up in the radiator without a blown head gasket on this car? Could the thermostat be clogged or something?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 06-30-2012, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by M90power
possibly blown headgasket on the water pressure issue.

the power steering should be a self contained unit, unless you have some sort of cooler. maybe other will chime in. what do you mean by "started showing up in the radiator system immediately"? did you test for PS fluid in your coolant?

also, terms such as "drivers side" are virtually no help on this forum without also being accompanied by country.

also, the rouge was my first true love. pics please.
Sorry, it's in America. So drivers side is left side of the car. Is there any way it could be something other than a blown head gasket? It still runs really great, and only has 60k miles, in cherry shape inside and out. What a shame if it is blown...

I just saw the ps fluid in the coolant. Didn't test for it, it was pink so just assumed that is what happened.

If it is a blown head gasket, does that mean the car is pretty much junk now?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 06-30-2012, 01:38 AM
Received 193 Likes on 108 Posts

Taking a guess here, but if power steering fluid was indeed introduced to the cooling system, wouldn't that be sufficient to clog your cooling system resulting in excessive pressure?

Old 06-30-2012, 05:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

The transmission cooler is inside the radiator. If it leaks the fluid can enter the cooling system. Since the power steering uses the same fluid as the transmission .....I wonder if your seeing transmission fluid in the coolant?

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
rougeedition (06-30-2012)
Old 06-30-2012, 06:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Ok lets deal with these one at a time..

The PS pump is on the LH side of the engine down low you will need a funnel with a 1foot hose to fill it up. make sure you have fluid in there, my guess is that it has leaked out. The low pressure hose is held with a hose clamp and these hoses become hard and the pump leaks from the low pressure hose, my experience anyway. To replace the hose it is easiest to remove the LH air filter unit, or drop the front subframe slightly.

That PS reservoir you refer to is the coolant header tank. the hose on top should go the metal pipe thingy that runs across the top of the radiator support, this hose probably needs to be replaced.

With oil in the cooling system I would drain the system and flush with clean water until all traces of coolant and oil were gone. Then refill the system with appropriate (for your area) antifreeze/water conditioner. Take care to bleed the system as per Doug's instructions (they have been posted numerous times in this forum just do a search).

Next check the trans fluid as Doug said the oil cooler is in the RH end tank of the radiator. If you get red oil in the radiator now you have a leaking oil cooler.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:40 AM

A cooling system is supposed to have pressure in it. You need to get your cooling system clean. You made a mess with the power steering fluid in the coolant tank. That is going to take some flushing to get clean.

Also refer to left and right side rather than driver and passenger side. You are getting help from people all over the world and some drive on the right and some on the left.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by warrjon

The PS pump is on the LH side of the engine down low you will need a funnel with a 1foot hose to fill it up. make sure you have fluid in there, my guess is that it has leaked out. The low pressure hose is held with a hose clamp and these hoses become hard and the pump leaks from the low pressure hose, my experience anyway. To replace the hose it is easiest to remove the LH air filter unit, or drop the front subframe slightly.

That PS reservoir you refer to is the coolant header tank. the hose on top should go the metal pipe thingy that runs across the top of the radiator support, this hose probably needs to be replaced.

With oil in the cooling system I would drain the system and flush with clean water until all traces of coolant and oil were gone. Then refill the system with appropriate (for your area) antifreeze/water conditioner. Take care to bleed the system as per Doug's instructions (they have been posted numerous times in this forum just do a search).

Next check the trans fluid as Doug said the oil cooler is in the RH end tank of the radiator. If you get red oil in the radiator now you have a leaking oil cooler.
Many thanks for your advice here.

Well that explains why the power steering doesn't work. It's probably bone dry and has been for years now. Everyone always thought that the water reservoir on the lh side was for power steering fluid. So I can now understand why my radiator blew a hose and has pressure in it. Because I was putting power steering fluid in that tank. duh.

I'll try giving it a flush and change the two hoses that lead into it as recommended. Hopefully that will clean things up a bit.

Thanks again.
Cheers,
Chris

Old 06-30-2012, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by warrjon

Thank you for the explanation. That helps heaps!

I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Cheers,
Chris

Old 06-30-2012, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member

still no pics of said Rouge.....

Old 07-01-2012, 12:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Originally Posted by rougeedition
I'll try giving it a flush and change the two hoses that lead into it as recommended. Hopefully that will clean things up a bit.
Get some cooling system flush. I don't know who makes it in the US but Nulon here in Aus makes a good product. The only problem could come about if you have a pipe that is about to burst due to rust etc this will speed the process just means you will fix sooner rather than later.

But it will clean out all of the oil........

Old 07-01-2012, 09:16 AM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

I am AGREEING with all that has been said.

ALSO.

If you have been pouring some serious quantities of PS fluid in that tank, and it sounds like you have, EVERY rubber hose related to the cooling system will now FAIL. Oil and rubber, NO NO. The heater tap seal INSIDE the tap will swell and jam the tap, so a tap will be needed. EVERY coolant hose will need replacing, no exceptions.

The gushing as soon as you fire it, is probably a seriously gooed radiator. If it were mine I would be removing the radiator, and having it professionally de-tanked and flushed. The hoses there are SIMPLE with the radiator out. Flush the heater core with a garden hose, both ways. Flush the block maaaaaaany times, and then some more. That header tank (the one that was thought to be the PS tank, will be SAD on the inside, so 3 nuts and remove it and get the radiator guy to clean it also. The atmospheric tank, up inside the LH inner guard will be full of all sorts of mud and oily sludge, so remove and flush yourself (it is black plastic).

Sadly, you now have a monster job on your hands, AND the best part is it will ALL need doing, coz there are NO short cuts with a V12, sorry.

My apologies if what I say is upsetting, NOT my intentions, but getting that oil out, based on what I reckon went in, is going to take some serious GRUNT.

rougeedition (07-04-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 10:02 AM

Grant is correct you need to change all the cooling system hoses. That power steering fluid mixed with coolant has made a mess of your cooling system. You can use Lestoil to break up the oil.

Drain the cooling system. Add 1 cup Lestoil and fill with water. Run for 10-15 mins. drain and repeat. Then add cooling system flush and follow instructions on the can.

Then I would install a flush tee and use a garden hose to flush everything out. If the water is dirty you need to flush again. Once the water is clean then you are ready to do the rest of the job.

Grant is correct. Remove the radiator and take to a shop and have it cleaned and checked. You should do this anyway if you own a V12. Remove and clean the expansion tank. Then replace the thermostats, ALL hoses. You may want to install coolant filters because all that flush will loosen some debris and will get trapped in the radiator. And of course install 2 new radiator caps.

rougeedition (07-04-2012)
Old 07-04-2012, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
I am AGREEING with all that has been said.

ALSO.

If you have been pouring some serious quantities of PS fluid in that tank, and it sounds like you have, EVERY rubber hose related to the cooling system will now FAIL. Oil and rubber, NO NO. The heater tap seal INSIDE the tap will swell and jam the tap, so a tap will be needed. EVERY coolant hose will need replacing, no exceptions.

The gushing as soon as you fire it, is probably a seriously gooed radiator. If it were mine I would be removing the radiator, and having it professionally de-tanked and flushed. The hoses there are SIMPLE with the radiator out. Flush the heater core with a garden hose, both ways. Flush the block maaaaaaany times, and then some more. That header tank (the one that was thought to be the PS tank, will be SAD on the inside, so 3 nuts and remove it and get the radiator guy to clean it also. The atmospheric tank, up inside the LH inner guard will be full of all sorts of mud and oily sludge, so remove and flush yourself (it is black plastic).

Sadly, you now have a monster job on your hands, AND the best part is it will ALL need doing, coz there are NO short cuts with a V12, sorry.

My apologies if what I say is upsetting, NOT my intentions, but getting that oil out, based on what I reckon went in, is going to take some serious GRUNT.
Yes, it don't sound like fun. Especially since I've been pouring oil in there, along with every other mechanic that has operated on her, for 4 years...

Cripes.
Chris

Old 07-04-2012, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Edge
Grant is correct you need to change all the cooling system hoses. That power steering fluid mixed with coolant has made a mess of your cooling system. You can use Lestoil to break up the oil.

Drain the cooling system. Add 1 cup Lestoil and fill with water. Run for 10-15 mins. drain and repeat. Then add cooling system flush and follow instructions on the can.

Then I would install a flush tee and use a garden hose to flush everything out. If the water is dirty you need to flush again. Once the water is clean then you are ready to do the rest of the job.

Grant is correct. Remove the radiator and take to a shop and have it cleaned and checked. You should do this anyway if you own a V12. Remove and clean the expansion tank. Then replace the thermostats, ALL hoses. You may want to install coolant filters because all that flush will loosen some debris and will get trapped in the radiator. And of course install 2 new radiator caps.
Well, all of this would be great, compared to a blown gasket. I just am still wondering though if I have a blown head gasket or not. I mean when I turn the thing on, all the water comes gushing out from still. So wouldn't want to do all this work if it was.

Any easy way to check for a head gasket first?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 07-04-2012, 06:14 AM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

Easy, HAHAHAHA, its a V12, nothing is easy.

Have a GOOD swig of something, remove ALL the spark plugs, AFTER you blow ALL the crap out of the area so it dont fall down the plug hole, disconnect the 12v supply to the coil +ve terminal, and remove the fuel pump relay in the boot. That is the relay in the BLACK socket.

Put some covers on the mudguards (wings/fenders/whatever you call them), and crank the engine for a few seconds. IF you get coolant MUCK coming out of one or any spark plug hole, YOU GOT HEAD GASKET ISSUES.

I still reckon you have FULLY clogged the radiator with all that oil, and since the pump cannot get flow that way, it goes wherever it can, and out the spout is easier.

If you want to double check that, before, or instead of, removing the spark plugs, remove the water pump belt, so NO flow, NO blowing out from the pump. If it still blows out, you got head gasket issues. Only run it for a few seconds without the pump connected PLEASE.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 07-04-2012 at 06:30 AM.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by rougeedition
Yes, it don't sound like fun. Especially since I've been pouring oil in there, along with every other mechanic that has operated on her, for 4 years...

Cripes.
Chris
If you paid a "professional" technician/mechanic to work on your car and he poured power steering fluid into you cooling system expansion tank you need to find a better one. If he doesn't know what fluid goes where than he has no business working on your car.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member

what mechanics pours power steering fluid into a reservior with a 16psi pressure cap(that probably has coolant written on it)?!?!?

he must have been confused by the doubled up radiator pipes, upper hoses, and caps.

Quick Reply: '89 Rouge XJS water pressure problem