XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

'89 Rouge XJS water pressure problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 09:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally got around to starting the flush. One of the top hoses blew right off the bat. So waiting to have it cool down. I figured out that no one has ever put the PS oil into the PS pump, so when I added fluid, it was bone dry, but finally the PS started working again! Which was great news.

So, just about to replace the blown hose, and finish the first round of flushing. Looks like the problem all along has been gunk in the radiator. Thanks for all the help guys, I'll get pics as soon as it's washed.

Cheers,
Chris

Old 07-29-2012, 05:19 PM
Default Drain Hole on Rouge?

Anyone know where the bleeding drain hole is on this car? Or is there one? My manual says on some engines there is no drain hole and that it must be done by taking off the lower hose. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 07-29-2012, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,803 Likes on 7,120 Posts

Originally Posted by rougeedition
Anyone know where the bleeding drain hole is on this car? Or is there one? My manual says on some engines there is no drain hole and that it must be done by taking off the lower hose. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

I think they eliminated the radiator drain in '83-'84 or so. My '88 didn't have one. A small screwdriver between the hose and the nipple can be used to control the draining....just don't bend or distort the nipple.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-29-2012, 11:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

There is guarantee yours will be the same as mine even though they are both 89 – but mine has a drain on the bottom of the radiator on the RH side of the car. It is difficult to get at if the rod is missing.

You can just see it if you poke your head under the car, mine accepts a standard garden hose over the end.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,803 Likes on 7,120 Posts

Originally Posted by warrjon
There is guarantee yours will be the same as mine even though they are both 89 – but mine has a drain on the bottom of the radiator on the RH side of the car. It is difficult to get at if the rod is missing.

You can just see it if you poke your head under the car, mine accepts a standard garden hose over the end.

You have a radiator drain? Sheesh. Some guys have all the luck :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 07-31-2012, 01:46 AM

flushed the radiator, but the heater wouldn't turn on at all, so the place told me to change the thermostat, which I did. Now there is a leak somewhere else, the guy at the radiator flush place said it is probably the water pump. Anyone know if that is difficult to change? So far have changed 3 hoses and thermostat, still leaking.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Edge
Grant is correct you need to change all the cooling system hoses. That power steering fluid mixed with coolant has made a mess of your cooling system. You can use Lestoil to break up the oil.

Drain the cooling system. Add 1 cup Lestoil and fill with water. Run for 10-15 mins. drain and repeat. Then add cooling system flush and follow instructions on the can.

Then I would install a flush tee and use a garden hose to flush everything out. If the water is dirty you need to flush again. Once the water is clean then you are ready to do the rest of the job.

Grant is correct. Remove the radiator and take to a shop and have it cleaned and checked. You should do this anyway if you own a V12. Remove and clean the expansion tank. Then replace the thermostats, ALL hoses. You may want to install coolant filters because all that flush will loosen some debris and will get trapped in the radiator. And of course install 2 new radiator caps.
I didn't realize there were two thermostats! So off to get another one.

So far, I've changed:
3x Radiator Hoses
1x Thermostat
2x Flushes
2x Radiator Caps.

Looking like I need a new water pump now. I'll have to look where the heater core is. Whenever I run the heater, it starts to overheat now and doesn't blow hot air.

What a mess is right! On top of it, the PS pump is leaking badly somewhere. Probably from dried seals. Needs to be replaced.

I'm fairly a newbie at all this jag maintenance, what is doable and what should I get done professionally in terms of removing and replacing components?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 07-31-2012, 05:58 AM
Received 10,342 Likes on 6,842 Posts

Chris,

At the risk of being mis-understood, here goes.

I reckon you have much more of a mess here than a flushing additive is going to clear "first up". By that I mean the system is plugged, and if its plugged there is NO flow, then the cleaning agent (no matter what it is) is not going to get there to do what it does. It is only going to get to where there is "flow".

If it were mine, I would be removing ALL the hoses, and I mean ALL the hoses. Then using a basic garden hose, flush the heater core, both ways.

Flush the radiator from the bottom hose outlet, as in "back flush" it, until as much muck as possible is forced out. This will take a few goes to even make a dent in it.

Thermostats OUT, and flush that block from each side stat housing, so it comes out the water pump inlet spout.

Remove the header tank on the LH inner guard area, and flush it with whatever it takes to get the sludge out, even degreaser may be needed here.

Remove the atmospheric tank inside the LH wheel arch panel, and de-sludge it also.

Then fit the hoses, add some agent to TRY and dissolve what is left, and see what happens.

This is going to be frustrating and very time consuming, IF it works.

I do have my doubts about the radiator, I still reckon it will need professional intervention. The mess from a SMALL leak from a trans cooler core is hard as hell to clean out properly, so the amount that I believe has been added here is 100 times worse at least.

My reasoning here is that water and oil simply DO NOT mix, so flushing with water is only going to remove the surface stuff, and an oil dissolving agent will be needed to get the rest out. IF you are lucky.

The water pump is not that hard to replace, quite time consuming, but not hard. When the radiator is out, the pump is simpler to do, due to more working room. The pump leaking does not surprise me, as the oil would certainly have given the seal a hiding.

You mention 3 radiator hose, mmmmmm, I count 10 without the small bleeder hoses, so any of those is still extremely contaminated with oil, and will be leak suspect in my opinion.

Remember, you cannot "patch repair" a V12. You either do it PROPERLY, or not at all.

Obviously "not at all" is not your option here, I understand that, but bit by bit is going nowhere, you are only moving that stuff around, you have to get it OUT. Added to that the "overheating" you are mentioning, and that is FATAL with a V12, and engine damage is really going to P you off, trust me.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 07-31-2012 at 06:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rougeedition (07-31-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 04:37 PM

Thank you Grant for the detailed description of what lays ahead of me. I am willing to do all of this, but am departing the country in 2 days. So, I'll likely have to take the radiator out when I get back.

10 hoses? I've been looking at my car manual, and don't see any diagram as to where the other 7 hoses are. They must be the small ones, and the one leading into the water pump? Guess I just need to take any hose off the radiator and remember where it went.

Definitely frustrating.

Thanks for the advice. I'll have to replace the water pump when the radiator is out and when I get some time.

Cheers,
Chris

Old 08-01-2012, 05:59 AM

Chris,

You will sort this.

The hoses are:

Top radiator (2).
Bottom radiator (1).
Heater return (1), just above the bottom at the radiator spout.
Bypass pipe, (3).
Heater tap area (3).
Then the smaller bleed type hoses around the front area.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:35 AM

Thanks Grant,

I took off all the hoses again, replaced the other thermostat, flushed the runoff tank.

When I took off my left side air filter, I noticed it had a bit of oil in it. I did just change the oil, though I read that this could mean a blown head gasket. Any thoughts on this?

I will flush the heater core tomorrow, is this the hose just above the lower radiator main hose right? Do i just push water in through that hose?

Thanks for all the help!
Chris

Old 08-02-2012, 02:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,126 Likes on 5,372 Posts

Originally Posted by rougeedition
When I took off my left side air filter, I noticed it had a bit of oil in it. I did just change the oil, though I read that this could mean a blown head gasket. Any thoughts on this?
Quite normal, Chris. Just keep at the cooling and brace yourself for a new rad, water pump etc etc!

Old 08-02-2012, 08:49 AM

Chris,

My suggestion is to remove the small vac hose from the heater tap, ensure the lever goes all the way DOWN (open), remove the hose at the rear of the RH cylinder head (the one that goes TO the heater tap), and then push the water from that hose down the front through the heater and then the tap, then out on the ground. You dont want any of that muck that may be in that heater going back inside the engine.

Then flush the heater the other way, just to be sure.

Greg is SPOT ON about that air cleaner oil, as usual, it comes via the PCV system, and is just how it is.