XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Air pump system removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 05:16 PM
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Air pump system removal

Hi all,
i am removing the ( inoperative) air pump system from my 78 injected Daimler Double Six.
i have researched past articles on this forum but still have some questions.
the engine is stripped down to the cam covers. Most submissions indicate plugging the inlet manifold. As the manifolds are off the car would it be easier to tap and insert grub screws into the head?
I guess I will have to retain the air pump in some form as an idler for the vee belt?
any tips greatly appreciated
al

Old 05-27-2018, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Lindsay
Hi all,
i am removing the ( inoperative) air pump system from my 78 injected Daimler Double Six.
i have researched past articles on this forum but still have some questions.
the engine is stripped down to the cam covers. Most submissions indicate plugging the inlet manifold. As the manifolds are off the car would it be easier to tap and insert grub screws into the head?
I guess I will have to retain the air pump in some form as an idler for the vee belt?
any tips greatly appreciated
al
You could tap the head or as l would prefer myself, the manifolds although l simply used blind rivets inserted from below into manifold holes.
The air pump could be gutted for idler use or you could try getting hold of the idler from non airpump car, much neater.

The following users liked this post:
Alan Lindsay (05-27-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 11:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Why don't you post in the XJ section?

Old 05-28-2018, 02:47 AM

Sehr geehrter Herr Daim,
I trust the XJS forum is not too exclusive for a humble saloon contributor and your suggestion a polite request to remove myself from it.
The reason this and other questions are posted in the XJS forum is that there is a far greater percentage of V12s here than in the XJ forum. Indeed the car is an XJ by another name but engine wise, I believe I will have a greater expert readership here.
I trust this answers the question.
Mitt herzlichen Grussen
Alan

Old 05-28-2018, 03:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Alan Lindsay
Sehr geehrter Herr Daim,
I trust the XJS forum is not too exclusive for a humble saloon contributor and your suggestion a polite request to remove myself from it.
The reason this and other questions are posted in the XJS forum is that there is a far greater percentage of V12s here than in the XJ forum. Indeed the car is an XJ by another name but engine wise, I believe I will have a greater expert readership here.
I trust this answers the question.
Mitt herzlichen Grussen
Alan
Well, yes, but there is no need to get sarcastic.

I was just wondering but okay, keep in mind that the engine may be the same, but the engine bay is a lot more cramped. So a job which may be easy on the XJ can be a LOT more complicated and awkward on the XJ-S. Just that you are aware of this. And as the XJ-S also had differences in the engine itself, you might get wrong answers... Just saying though... That is why I asked.

89 Jacobra (06-04-2018)
Old 05-28-2018, 03:41 AM
Veteran Member

If you really want to ditch the air pump, there are two ways of going abut this:

1: remove the pump and get a shorter belt to go to the AC compressor and crank without the need of an extra idler. Build some metal brackets to use as tensioners and tension via the AC compressor.

2: remove the air pump and buy a European/British idler. I have one on my V12 from factory. New bearing, clean it up a little, done.

Alan Lindsay (05-28-2018)
Old 05-28-2018, 05:26 AM

Dear Daim,
No offense was meant.
Thank you for your interest, I do appreciate your reply.
I fear you may have mistaken humour for sarcasm, let's put it down to cultural differences. To us Antipodeans, complete with our self deprecating sense of humour, the economy of your question did demand humorous response.
kind regards
Al

Old 05-28-2018, 09:22 AM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Euro Idler

Originally Posted by Daim
If you really want to ditch the air pump, there are two ways of going abut this:

2: remove the air pump and buy a European/British idler. I have one on my V12 from factory. New bearing, clean it up a little, done.
So where would you suggest a guy from the US find a Euro spec "Idler" from a bloke in Europe?
Would you be sop kind as to give me some links to Jag salvagers over there?

Old 05-28-2018, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Fla Steve
So where would you suggest a guy from the US find a Euro spec "Idler" from a bloke in Europe?
Would you be sop kind as to give me some links to Jag salvagers over there?
Sure, no problem. Try Ben from Simply Performance or Andy from JustXJS. Both have loads pf used parts. You'll want the lot though. Pulley, tensioner arm, adjuster rod, bracket and important: a new bearing. They are readily available.

Fla Steve (05-28-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 07:15 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts

Thanks Daim. I ordered the "Smog Delete" pulley-tensioner from Simply Performance. They were 1/2 the price Just XJS wanted.
If you're curious...I paid 65+25 shipping (British Pound...hahha no symbol on my keyboard for that)

Old 07-20-2018, 09:19 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

British pound symbol.....Hold down "alt" key, type in 0163. Release "alt". £ There it is. Magic. 8-)