XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Another XJS comes to New Hampshire

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 07:25 AM
Received 101 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Another XJS comes to New Hampshire

A little while ago I posted on the New Members Area thanking everybody who has shared their experiences and taken the time to write about it here. Doug's "Buyer's Guide" and Kirby's "Experience" book are great resources. But all of you have had some input in my decision. Thanks again.
Now I've moved on from "lurking" here and spending hours on Ebay, Craigslist and Auto Trader to owning. Woohoo! I was able to find a very nice '94 V-12 convertible. It's seen 93k miles but it's been well treated and looked after. It's clean underneath, no history of running too warm (on the test drive it stayed below the "N", and only got to it after a bit of stop and go), AC is good, 1 year old top, everything I touched, worked. Yeah, I know it's an 18 y/o car and I'll need to get into it and under it, replace stuff and spend some money. But the history looked good and the price was right.
So, let's start off with my first question. First thing I want to take care of is the rotor. I've read in Kirby's book about the sealant-under-the-rotor "fix" to keep it from burning through. Is that still considered the best way to handle this (apart from swapping out the entire system)?
Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Another XJS comes to New Hampshire-jag-1.jpg   Another XJS comes to New Hampshire-jag-3.jpg   Another XJS comes to New Hampshire-jag-4.jpg   Another XJS comes to New Hampshire-jag-5.jpg  
Old 04-08-2012, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,756 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill C
So, let's start off with my first question. First thing I want to take care of is the rotor. I've read in Kirby's book about the sealant-under-the-rotor "fix" to keep it from burning through. Is that still considered the best way to handle this (apart from swapping out the entire system)?
Thanks

As far as I know, yes. There's also been discussion about trimming the base of the rotor (or something like that....can't remember the exact details) but the sealant trick is the main thing.

Great looking Jag -)

Cheers
DD

Old 04-08-2012, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

i hate cabriolets, but that one is particularly good looking.

not as good looking as coupe' with the same color scheme and wheels though.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:48 AM

I do really like the lines of the coupe better than those of the convertible. But being 6'4", and driving around in the coupe awhile felt really claustrophobic. That's not a problem now. I gotta say, the more I look at this, the better I like it!
And, thanks, Doug.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

I do really like the lines of the coupe better than those of the convertible. But being 6'4", and driving around in the coupe awhile felt really claustrophobic. That's not a problem now. I gotta say, the more I look at this, the better I like it!
And, thanks, Doug.
im 6'3". Having the racing seats helps, but i still have to sport a buzz cut to keep the headliner off of me.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

A little while ago I posted on the New Members Area thanking everybody who has shared their experiences and taken the time to write about it here. Doug's "Buyer's Guide" and Kirby's "Experience" book are great resources. But all of you have had some input in my decision. Thanks again.
Now I've moved on from "lurking" here and spending hours on Ebay, Craigslist and Auto Trader to owning. Woohoo! I was able to find a very nice '94 V-12 convertible. It's seen 93k miles but it's been well treated and looked after. It's clean underneath, no history of running too warm (on the test drive it stayed below the "N", and only got to it after a bit of stop and go), AC is good, 1 year old top, everything I touched, worked. Yeah, I know it's an 18 y/o car and I'll need to get into it and under it, replace stuff and spend some money. But the history looked good and the price was right.
Thanks
Congratulations. That is a beautiful example.

As both my E type and XJS are convertibles, I obviously prefer them to the coupes. I hope to add a third to the pack, a BRG convertible XK with tan top to match her older sisters.

The one little detail I do not care for is the tinted windows. But beautiful car nevertheless.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And, thanks, Doug.
Nice ride! Looks almost as good as mine! I feel your pain on the size there...6'3" and I almost never leave the top up...of course what's the point in driving it when the top's up? As Quiet as it's kept the verts look better anyway. Nice car.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:52 AM
Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

Welcome. Hope to take a drive there soon!

Old 04-09-2012, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

Hey, another NH'ite! Cool! Now if only it would warm up a bit more so we could put the tops down...

Old 04-09-2012, 11:27 AM

It's good to read all the welcomes and well wishes! Thanks.
Yeah, this 50 degree stuff is nonsense. I'll rub all my hair off soon it it doesn't warm up.