XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Anyone have any aftermarket seatbelt experience?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 06:33 PM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Anyone have any aftermarket seatbelt experience?

Ripped out all the USA automatic junkbelt on my 88'. Instead of finding an old used 3 point from a used xjs(which people still want a bunch for), I've been looking at aftermarket 3 point systems. I'm a big guy and have no idea like belt length... is there a standard size or are there different lengths? There are some very inexpensive belts on eBay and Amazon...How cheap is too cheap? Ha any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-13-2018, 11:04 AM
Received 490 Likes on 261 Posts

I put aftermarket belts in mine. Can't recall where I got them but it seems like it was a UK distributor that specialized in belts for auto-belt in Jaguars.

I was in the same boat as you, trying to discern quality and that's why I chose the ones I did.

Though, realistically, how could you ever really know if the quality matters without extensive testing. I mean, add 5 MPH to any crash and you're increasing forces dramatically.

I'd say, half jokingly, that if you're belt fails at anything less than 35 MPH it was ****-quality.

Hope you don't test it!

BTW, I'm pretty sure all cars have the seat bolt mounting points built-in. You will have to modify the rear side interior panels to allow the seat belt to come out the top.

Old 05-13-2018, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by bullittandy
I put aftermarket belts in mine. Can't recall where I got them but it seems like it was a UK distributor that specialized in belts for auto-belt in Jaguars.

I was in the same boat as you, trying to discern quality and that's why I chose the ones I did.

Though, realistically, how could you ever really know if the quality matters without extensive testing. I mean, add 5 MPH to any crash and you're increasing forces dramatically.

I'd say, half jokingly, that if you're belt fails at anything less than 35 MPH it was ****-quality.

Hope you don't test it!

BTW, I'm pretty sure all cars have the seat bolt mounting points built-in. You will have to modify the rear side interior panels to allow the seat belt to come out the top.
ha yeah, you won't really know the quality unless you use it... and I sure hope to never do that. I got everything out and all the bolting points are there, I need to mod the rear panel but I actually got chrome rings out of a junker so I'm ready.

Old 12-17-2019, 06:22 PM
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

How did it turn out? I'm looking at universal 3 point kits from Summit Racing and wondering which one to get.

Old 12-17-2019, 07:27 PM

Mine turned out just fine but not having the proper rear panels for the belts to go through is a big pain! I cut holes but even at that I’m guessing they are different. The belt hangs up on the speaker area that cuts way in to almost the side metal. So my belts are now basically messed up. They wouldn’t retract because of the speaker box in the way. So now it’s basically where they won’t retract at all and prob need a new set. I got the cheapest of cheap so I’m guessing anything you get will be better. Really easy to put in but if like me you’re replacing the automatic belts. I would look for a pair of the rear speaker/arm rest pieces.