XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Aston Martin "DB7 wheels on xjs

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aston Martin "DB7 wheels on xjs

I have a 82 he xjs and was wondering if any one could tell me if I could instal aston martin db7 part number 36-120944-AB on the rear and 36-120943-AB on the front? fronts are 8 inches wide rears are 9 inches wide 18 inches diameter off sets front 34 rear 33. Bill.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:19 PM
Received 169 Likes on 84 Posts

Not sure, but I must see pictures of another '82 XJS and from ALASKA!!!

The following users liked this post:
northern (12-29-2012)
Old 12-25-2012, 10:20 PM
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Hi Bill, welcome to the forum!

I'm afraid I don't have much experience to offer, BUT here is an excellent write up about wider wheels and offset on the XJS:

Rim and Tire upgrade Decision

This one's also good:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-wheels-65576/

Let us know if you pull the trigger on those wheels!

-Dave

Originally Posted by northern
I have a 82 he xjs and was wondering if any one could tell me if I could instal aston martin db7 part number 36-120944-AB on the rear and 36-120943-AB on the front? fronts are 8 inches wide rears are 9 inches wide 18 inches diameter off sets front 34 rear 33. Bill.

northern (12-29-2012)
Old 12-26-2012, 09:30 AM
Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

The rears are almost too far out but should JUST be ok as long as the rear tire is no more than a 255. Anything wider and they will probably stick out too far and hit the fender edge on suspension travel.

The fronts have a bit too much offset and will likely scrub the inner suspension components depending on wheel width and brand, so a 1/4" spacer would likely be needed.

northern (12-29-2012)
Old 12-27-2012, 10:43 PM

Thanks a lot for your help. that is a good web site and i am sure this has been discussed many times now that there is so many tire and wheel combos out there to choose from now days. how ever this is something i need to get right the first time

Old 01-01-2013, 08:56 AM

hi still trying to figure out what wheels to buy for my car, I see some 18x8s with 20 offset that i like. (listed for bmw) anyone know if this would work with 225/40 18?

Old 01-01-2013, 09:13 AM
Old 01-01-2013, 10:08 AM

Unfortunately, those BMW wheels will not bolt up properly. The MBW lug pattern on those wheels is 5x120mm. The lug pattern on your Jaguar is 5x120.65 - that might not seem like a big difference, but it's enough of a difference to create a dangerous situation.

To use those BMW wheels without making big sacrifices, you would need to remachine the conical seats on the wheels slightly farther out, effectively making them a 5x120.65 lug pattern.

Here's a link on the process - I think this guy did a great job:
BMW wheel bolt pattern/PCD correction, 120mm to 120.65mm - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

BTW, what kind or design wheel are you looking for? There are a few 17" and 18" Jaguar OEM wheels that should fit your XJS.

northern (01-01-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by FastKat
Unfortunately, those BMW wheels will not bolt up properly. The MBW lug pattern on those wheels is 5x120mm. The lug pattern on your Jaguar is 5x120.65 - that might not seem like a big difference, but it's enough of a difference to create a dangerous situation.

To use those BMW wheels without making big sacrifices, you would need to remachine the conical seats on the wheels slightly farther out, effectively making them a 5x120.65 lug pattern.
Actually, a workaround was developed so that redrilling or filling the wheel lug holes isn't necessary: PCD variation nuts, AKA "wobble" nuts. Each nut is a two-piece assembly made up of a nut within a captured conical seat that can shift a mm or two over as you tighten the nut.

Here's one place that you can get a set of PCD variation nuts of the 1/2" UNF variety as fit on Jaguar studs:

Wheel accessories from Upgrade Motoring

This is the route I went on my car to fit BMW wheels. Though the concept sounds a bit strange at first, they are perfectly safe, AS LONG AS YOU ENSURE THE WHEEL IS ACTUALLY BEING CENTERED BY THE HUB, which means ensuring that the wheel center bore is between 73.9 and 74.1 to seat on the Jaguar hub. The shifting conical seat of the variation nut is just acting as a shifting washer.

One thing on the BMW wheels: make sure the center bore is 74.1. Some are, some are 72. something. I think the BMW wheels that are 20mm offset as those are have the correct 74.1 mm center bore as you need, but you want to be sure.

Last edited by Spyhunter2k; 01-01-2013 at 07:58 PM.
northern (01-01-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 07:49 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tulpicitywheels.com also sells the "wobble" lug nuts. I just read the writeup today as well, it sure beats machining the wheels. I will be buying a set of these as I plan on using some BMW 17in wheels that resemble the factory latice wheels on my 92 XJS.

northern (01-01-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by billsautoworks
Tulpicitywheels.com also sells the "wobble" lug nuts. I just read the writeup today as well, it sure beats machining the wheels. I will be buying a set of these as I plan on using some BMW 17in wheels that resemble the factory latice wheels on my 92 XJS.
Yes, but I don't think they sell the 1/2" UNF thread suitable for our wheels anymore, or at least they no longer list this thread option on their site.

I got mine off Ebay for like $25, but now they are no longer listed, except for a seller in the UK for $160 a set or so, about the same as the link I posted earlier.

Also, to ensure that I wouldn't have any clearance issues with fitting a lug wrench around the perimeter of the new lug nuts which have their conical seat shifted very close towards the inside edge of channels in the wheels for the lugs, the set I ordered off Ebay have a small hex head on the tip of each nut. I forgot what this option was called.

EDIT: Found it: My nuts are "tuner" nuts.

Also, here is a cheaper option for the PCD variation nuts:

http://www.performancealloys.com/nut-details.aspx?ID=54

It specifically says that the conical taper is 60 degrees, which I believe is correct for BMW wheels. Incidentally, according to the part number used on those, they are bimecc brand, made in Italy.

Last edited by Spyhunter2k; 01-01-2013 at 08:29 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Spyhunter2k:
billsautoworks (01-01-2013), northern (01-01-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 10:07 PM

well was hoping for 18x8s. looking on ebay for something that would look good, hard to tell without fitting them on. looks like the bmw wheels are out of the question for me, did not know the bolt di. was not the same. will keep looking. jag wheels might be the best choice allright.

Last edited by northern; 01-01-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Spyhunter2k
Actually, a workaround was developed so that redrilling or filling the wheel lug holes isn't necessary: PCD variation nuts, AKA "wobble" nuts. Each nut is a two-piece assembly made up of a nut within a captured conical seat that can shift a mm or two over as you tighten the nut.
The engineer in me puts the wobble nuts under the "big sacrifices" column. Wheels are obviously critical components, and it's my opinion that the seats should be resurfaced. And why not... you're going to have to machine the hub bores anyway! Just do it right the first time...

I think there are some OE Jaguar wheels worth looking into. I think anything from the XK line up to 2007 will have the same bolt pattern and the offset is going to be really close. Most of those wheels are 17x8 and 18x8, but there are also some that are 18x8 front and 18x9 rear, and still others in the 19x? range. You'll also need to make sure that there will be enough room for the front hub to protrude into the wheel. On some of those wheel, you'll probably be able to take care of it with a spacer. I can tell you from experience that a 17x8 Lamina wheel will not fit over your front hub and will probably require a 1/4" spacer - but try to verify that independently first.

northern (01-02-2013)
Old 01-02-2013, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,916 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Don't go too oversized or you will end up with problems with the front wheels fouling the arches on full lock.
My Cabby came with 7" rims (no idea what offset) and they foul when going backwards!

northern (01-02-2013)
Old 01-02-2013, 12:24 PM

I exchanged emails with a guy that was trying to unload a set of diamond spoke 16x8 wheels because they were giving him problems on the front of his XJS. He was looking for 16x7 wheels instead.

Originally Posted by Steve M
Don't go too oversized or you will end up with problems with the front wheels fouling the arches on full lock.
My Cabby came with 7" rims (no idea what offset) and they foul when going backwards!

northern (01-02-2013)
Old 01-02-2013, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by FastKat
The engineer in me puts the wobble nuts under the "big sacrifices" column. Wheels are obviously critical components, and it's my opinion that the seats should be resurfaced. And why not... you're going to have to machine the hub bores anyway! Just do it right the first time...
The problem with redrilling the holes is that it actually turns what used to be perfectly circular holes into slight ovals so that normal wheel nuts can be used. Of course the holes could be filled first with molten metal before being re-drilled, but most people don't do that.

With PCD variation nuts, you don't corrupt the circular shape of your wheel lug holes and everything is still metal-on-metal contact. The term "wobble" in the "wobble nuts" name is really a misnomer. There is NO free play to these nuts when tightened.

There are some BMWs that already have a 74.1 center bore and an offset that is close enough to work with our cars: the BMW E39 generation (1997–2003) 5-series cars. If you make sure the offset will work when purchasing these wheels and use PCD variation nuts, you can avoid a machine shop altogether. Many sets of wheels can be had that are 20mm offset front and back—fine for the fronts put pushed outwards to the limit for the rears.

Here's a thread where someone fit BMW E39 generation 5-series wheels to their XJS, made by BBS:

http://www.xj40.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1781

Of note is that he used normal nuts instead of getting PCD variation ones as he should have done.

Alternatively, you can order aftermarket wheels from TSW for an E39 BMW for the front wheels, and an E90 (2006-2010) or E92 (2007-2010) 3-series coupe for the rear wheels. These E90/E92 wheels will have slightly more offset to tuck the rear wheels in a bit more, but there is a tradeoff: they have a 72.56 center bore which would need to be machined out to 74.0-74.1.

Last edited by Spyhunter2k; 01-02-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:12 PM

The problem with redrilling the holes is that it actually turns what used to be perfectly circular holes into slight ovals so that normal wheel nuts can be used.
Only if you machine it that way... The better solution would be to slightly increase the hole depth. If you do that and cut down a little deeper, you will cut an entirely new conical seat at the new PCD. We're talking fractions of a mm of depth here, but still significant if you want a squarely-seated lug nut.

There are some BMWs that already have a 74.1 center bore and an offset that is close enough to work with our cars: the BMW E39 generation (1997–2003) 5-series cars. If you make sure the offset will work when purchasing these wheels and use PCD variation nuts, you can avoid a machine shop altogether. Many sets of wheels can be had that are 20mm offset front and back—fine for the fronts put pushed outwards to the limit for the rears.
Are you saying the 20mm offset BMW wheels will work? I was looking at the two-piece BBS style-5 17x8 20mm offset 5-series wheels (not sure which E that is) and I decided against them due to my experience with a 17x8 30mm (or 33mm?) Lamina XK8 wheel. The Lamina wheels sat at least 10mm farther in towards the center of the car than the 20mm BMW wheels would sit, and the tires on the Lamina wheels scrubbed the inside of my SIII XJ6 quarter lips when taking tight low-speed bends. The tires on the BMW wheels would have scraped very badly because they' would have been 10mm close to the quarter lip. I'm not sure how much more clearance you would have with the XJS cars, but it's truly a game of millimeters!

If you're on the borderline with wheel fitment, you can usually squeak in a little more room buy buying a narrower tire.

OP - Maybe you could contact this guy and see how his fitment is working out:
XJ40 • View topic - XJS- BMW alloys

northern (01-02-2013)
Old 01-02-2013, 05:50 PM

well thought about the bmw wheels some more, spoke with the guy at the machine shop and he said the center bores were not a problem but not sure about the lug nut holes. but with all the information that i have learned (thanks to you guys) in the last few days i think they will work with the right machine work and lug nuts. i dont like the looks of some of the xk-xr wheels that are for sale right now. when i hit the buy it now button there will be no turning back.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:54 PM

i just orderd them-wish me luck

Old 01-02-2013, 06:00 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good luck! which ones did you end up buying?

Quick Reply: Aston Martin "DB7 wheels on xjs