XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Car Won't Start After Winter Storage

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 10:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Car Won't Start After Winter Storage

Hi Everyone,

I have a 1996 Jaguar XJS with fewer than 60,000 miles on her. I store the car every winter for usually 4-6 months. Recently, I went to get the car ready for the summer and I couldn't get the car started. I put a brand new battery in and it still just turns over and over and over without ever fully starting. It ran great before I put it in storage. Has anyone experienced this same experience? I'm not sure where I should start checking. The fuse box? The relay? The fuel pump? I'm somewhat handy and can do basic maintenance and repairs, but don't want to venture into anything too complex. Thanks!

Old 05-02-2015, 12:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 434 Likes on 377 Posts

Have you tried fresh fuel ?

The following users liked this post:
Jsnyder0828 (05-07-2015)
Old 05-02-2015, 12:40 AM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts

Check to make sure the fuel pump is running. Then check for spark.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem two years ago. It was the fuel pump.

Old 05-02-2015, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,599 Posts

I had the same problem on my 1995 XJS 6 cylinder car, which also turned out to be the fuel pump.

As it was a Convertible, I had to take the Tank out, which was a massive job, as the fuel pump sat in the top of the tank and the body work got in the way of taking the pump out.

Not a job I'd really ever want to do again!

So check to see if the pump is running or not.

It only runs for a few seconds, every time you turn on the ignition, so its handy if you have a mate who can help to listen out for it.

Stating the blindingly obvious, is there a fair bit of Petrol in the Tank?

If its not the Fuel Pump it could be the Crank Sensor.

Or even the Coil.

Have you checked to see if you are getting a Spark?

Old 05-02-2015, 07:55 PM

Thanks for the response. I always park the car with a full tank, so I don't think fuel is the issue. How can I test the fuel pump? I'm not sure where it's even located. On my 2005 XKR, I can hear the fuel pump in the trunk. I'll test for a spark when I get back to the car.

orangeblossom (05-03-2015)
Old 05-03-2015, 03:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jsnyder0828
Thanks for the response. I always park the car with a full tank, so I don't think fuel is the issue. How can I test the fuel pump? I'm not sure where it's even located. On my 2005 XKR, I can hear the fuel pump in the trunk. I'll test for a spark when I get back to the car.
The very first thing you need to do, is to check the Automatic Cut Out, which is designed to cut off the Fuel, if you happen to roll the Car!

This is housed in a little plastic box just underneath the dashboard on the passenger side at knee level where the door hinges.

Easy to find you can't miss it!

This Plastic Box has a hole in the bottom.

https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/i...01&fr2=piv-web

Poke the blunt end of a Pencil up into the hole, where you will be able to feel the reset button and if this Switch has tripped itself, then you can reset it by pushing the button back into place with the end of the Pencil.

If the Reset Button is OK, then you can try this.

Take off the lead from the Distro so the Car cannot start and make sure that its well out of the way and taped up so you don't get any sparks.

Then underneath the Bonnet/Hood, you will see the Fuel Pipe going into the rack that feeds the Fuel Injection.

Loosen the Nut where these pipes join together, then turn on the ignition for a couple of seconds, while your mate looks on under the Bonnet/Hood to see what's happening.

If fuel starts leaking out of that join (where you loosened the pipe) then you know your fuel pump is ok.

Obviously take precautions by having a Fire Extinguisher standing by just in case.

If no Fuel comes out, then it could well be the Fuel Pump but it could also be the Fuel Pump Relay or a Fuse.

https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/s...F-8&n=60&x=wrt

If your Car is a Convertible, then the Pump is in the Top of the Tank, which is behind a big steel baffle plate in the Boot/Trunk.

Replacing a Fuel Pump on one of those, isn't really the kind of job that you would ever really want to do again.

Last edited by orangeblossom; 05-03-2015 at 03:19 AM.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:25 AM

Did you put in any kind of "fuel stabilizer" in the full tank and drive it a short distance to distribute it, prior to storage? It may be called "dry gas" where you are. One theory is that a problem can be caused by the gas that is labeled as containing 10% ethanol. In Florida our problem is heat and humidity which I recognize is different to where you are. However, I would still strongly suspect the fuel pump.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Jeremy,

Start with the simple principles. Have you got sparks and have you got fuel getting to the cylinders?

As you've got an AJ16 4 litre, you don't have a distributor so disconnect a coil and plug and see what's going on there first.

My suggestion is DON'T start replacing anything until you've ascertained the basics and where the fault lies.

Silly question maybe, but you haven't got an immobiliser set on still have you? My immobiliser cuts the ignition but still allows starter to turn the car over.

Good luck

Paul

Jsnyder0828 (05-07-2015)
Old 05-07-2015, 09:59 PM

Yes, the car has fresh fuel.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:04 PM

There isn't any immobiliser on the car and I didn't add any type of additive to the gas prior to storing it for the winter. I'm thinking it's the fuel pump. I disconnected the fuel rail today, and while a little bit of gas leaked out from the hose, when I turned on the ignition and tried to start it, there was nothing coming out. I'm going to check the relay and the fuse next, but after that, I think I'll feel fairly certain it's the pump. Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know how the cost of a new pump and labor? I don't think this is something I want to try to fix myself.

orangeblossom (05-08-2015)
Old 05-08-2015, 09:41 AM

In October 2013 the cost of a fuel pump replacement on a 2002 XJ8 was $700.00 here in Florida, not including tax. It may be considerably more where you are located. The repair was done by an independant small shop, not a Jaguar dealer. It has run perfectly since. I hope it works out as well for you. Good luck.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jsnyder0828
There isn't any immobiliser on the car and I didn't add any type of additive to the gas prior to storing it for the winter. I'm thinking it's the fuel pump. I disconnected the fuel rail today, and while a little bit of gas leaked out from the hose, when I turned on the ignition and tried to start it, there was nothing coming out. I'm going to check the relay and the fuse next, but after that, I think I'll feel fairly certain it's the pump. Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know how the cost of a new pump and labor? I don't think this is something I want to try to fix myself.
The Fuel Pump itself (if it's an 'In Tank' Pump) is not all that expensive about £80-£100 (UK)

Where the money goes is in the Labor, assuming that on your Car the Tank has to come out.

In which case the Labor could come to around £500-£600 (UK)

I've replaced an 'In Tank' pump myself on my 4.0L XJS Convertible and its not exactly a 'Walk in the park' on any day of the week, especially on a Convertible as the Tank is behind a Steel Baffle Plate.

This Steel Baffle is such a tight fit, that everything has to come out of the Boot/Trunk to get that plate out, including undoing the motor that operates the roof.

Removing the Fuel Supply and Return Hoses, is not a fun job either, as they have to be disconnected from underneath the Car and there is very little room to get your hand in as the IRS Cage gets in the way.

I could go on but I think you get the idea.

While you or the Garage/Shop are about it, then it would be false economy not to fit a new Sender, as this is not the kind of job that you might ever want to do again.

But if your Fuel Pump is Not the type that sits in the Top of the Tank, then that's a different Story altogether and may well be a job that you could easily do yourself.

Maybe you could locate the Pump or find out where it is and then report back.

This is an example of the Cost of a Fuel Pump but you would need to check if this would be the right one for your particular Car.

When you disconnected the Fuel rail and turned on the ignition, quite a lot of Petrol would have come pouring out, so it does sound like a problem with the Fuel Pump, assuming that its not a fuse or relay.

Jaguar Fuel Pump & Filter EBC10123 XJ6(XJ40) & XJS | eBay