XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12

 
  #21  
Old 07-24-2014, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,109
Received 381 Likes on 289 Posts
Default

This thread will be epic
 
The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (07-24-2014)
  #22  
Old 07-24-2014, 04:57 PM
orangeblossom's Avatar
Veteran Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: uk
Posts: 15,546
Received 2,085 Likes on 1,609 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Flint Ironstag View Post
This thread will be epic
You are so right!

Sitting outside for 14 Summers and Winters in all Weathers with no Water in, what could possibly go wrong?

My Grey XJS Started on the button, after standing for 10 years but that one was kept in the Garage.

I had a load of Brake and Exhaust Problems, which Greg got sorted out.

But if this one Starts after 14 years or the Engine even turns over, this will be a Miracle in its own right!

Once I got her up on the Lift, I Pressure Washed the Chassis and She looked pretty good underneath.

Then I Washed the Body With Hot Soapy Water and Hosed the Suds off afterwards, with a low pressure washer and pumped up the Tyres.

Which are all perished and only good to be scrapped.

The Lifter has 4 Steel Pit Props, that go into sockets underneath the Track, just in case of any Hydraulic Failure, which would have the Car drop down at the Speed of a Plummeting Lift!

So I wont be getting underneath, until these are in place.

If/When I get the Fan Cowling out.

(1) New Radiator and Hoses. 400

(2) 4 X New Pirellis @ 200 each

(3) New Battery 60

(4) Oil & Filters etc 100

(5) New Calipers/Brake Pads/Pipes 300

(6) Tank of Petrol 126

(7) MOT 50

(8) Tax 150 (ish)

(9) Agreed Valuation Insurance 200

Its already looking around 2 Grand to put her back on the road, IF She Starts!

So the initial 1,000 is just to get her running and driven off the ramp (Fingers Crossed!)
 
  #23  
Old 07-24-2014, 05:03 PM
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Summerville, South Carolina
Posts: 18,111
Received 2,821 Likes on 2,560 Posts
Default

what a great looking machine!!!!! look forward to watching the progress
 
The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (07-24-2014)
  #24  
Old 07-24-2014, 05:22 PM
orangeblossom's Avatar
Veteran Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: uk
Posts: 15,546
Received 2,085 Likes on 1,609 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by sklimii View Post
what a great looking machine!!!!! look forward to watching the progress
I've still got the Receipt for Her.

The previous owner bought her New and paid over 50 Grand!

Which was a teeny little bit more, than I had to pay him!

She's even got an on board Video Camera! Put your head over the Window Frame and it sends the photo to your Smart Phone anywhere in the World!

Also fitted with 'Tracker' and from what I can tell, every factory extra available at the time.

I am not Worthy but I'm Working on it!
 
  #25  
Old 07-24-2014, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Tehama County, California, USA
Posts: 16,810
Received 3,370 Likes on 2,630 Posts
Default

You, Sir, are Full of surprises!

In this part of the world, which is quite a lot dryer than your part of it, a car left wrapped up in a tarp like that for so long, would present a moldy, rusty, rodent infested, spider enwrapped disaster. (Ask me how I know.)

I do hope you don't find any such nasty surprises upon further inspection of places like the Unpainted side of all that metal.

I will also be following your progress until this car is on the road.

If only it was RED, my favorite (except for Black)! That would have been Just Grand!
(';')
 
The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (07-24-2014)
  #26  
Old 07-24-2014, 07:31 PM
orangeblossom's Avatar
Veteran Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: uk
Posts: 15,546
Received 2,085 Likes on 1,609 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by LnrB View Post
You, Sir, are Full of surprises!

In this part of the world, which is quite a lot dryer than your part of it, a car left wrapped up in a tarp like that for so long, would present a moldy, rusty, rodent infested, spider enwrapped disaster. (Ask me how I know.)

I do hope you don't find any such nasty surprises upon further inspection of places like the Unpainted side of all that metal.

I will also be following your progress until this car is on the road.

If only it was RED, my favorite (except for Black)! That would have been Just Grand!
(';')
Hi Elinor

She is RED! She is the best RED, She is Regency RED!, She is my Favorite RED of all Time! Which is Regency RED.
 
  #27  
Old 07-24-2014, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Tehama County, California, USA
Posts: 16,810
Received 3,370 Likes on 2,630 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by orangeblossom View Post
Hi Elinor

She is RED! She is the best RED, She is Regency RED!, She is my Favorite RED of all Time! Which is Regency RED.
Really?! I thought it looked more like, um, maybe, Regency Red? lol
What a Beautiful car!

I do have one question that maybe others entertain;
How are you gonna drive TWO??
(';')
 
The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (07-24-2014)
  #28  
Old 07-24-2014, 07:59 PM
orangeblossom's Avatar
Veteran Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: uk
Posts: 15,546
Received 2,085 Likes on 1,609 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by LnrB View Post
Really?! I thought it looked more like, um, maybe, Regency Red? lol
What a Beautiful car!

I do have one question that maybe others entertain;
How are you gonna drive TWO??
(';')
I will probably drive them one at a time rather than both at the same time.
 
The following users liked this post:
paulyling (08-29-2014)
  #29  
Old 07-28-2014, 03:23 AM
orangeblossom's Avatar
Veteran Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: uk
Posts: 15,546
Received 2,085 Likes on 1,609 Posts
Default Safety First

Never really been 'PC' or a Fan of all that 'Health & Safety' but when you're working under a Jag, or any Car for that matter, you need to make sure that it wont fall, so needs to be well 'Chocked Up!' so that can't happen.

(1) The hydraulics on this lift, are so good that they won't go down even when I've had my LWB Land Rover sitting on it for a Week!

(2) The Lift also came with safety 'Pit Props' which are the 'Blue Poles'

(3) GF's Dad knocked me up some Extra Strong ones out of some scrap that he had laying around, so now its a really belt and braces job!

Name:  Cherry1001_zpsd5f09070.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  129.2 KB
 
  #30  
Old 07-28-2014, 03:37 AM
orangeblossom's Avatar
Veteran Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: uk
Posts: 15,546
Received 2,085 Likes on 1,609 Posts
Default Not What I Was Hoping To Find And I Couldn't Get One Wheel Off!

Problem (One) Was the Road Wheels on the 'Front' of the Car, It took hours of Careful Bashing to remove the one on the drivers side (UK)

Then when I finally did get it off, things didn't look very good!

The Road Wheel on the Passenger Side (UK) had suffered a 'Blow Out' and nothing would get that wheel off!

So I am planning to Fit the New Rad with New Belts & Hoses etc, then if I can get Her Started! after 14 years!

I will loosen off the Wheel nuts, then Rock the Steering until the Wheel comes loose.

Then back on the Lift for the rest of the Restoration.

Name:  Cherry1005_zps7a8f00d4.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  89.8 KB

Name:  Cherry1004_zpsc0031a2a.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  108.6 KB

Name:  Cherry1003_zps4d7e04fd.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  90.3 KB

Name:  Cherry1002_zpsaa75e7cb.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  129.2 KB
 
The following users liked this post:
paulyling (08-29-2014)
  #31  
Old 07-28-2014, 06:11 AM
orangeblossom's Avatar
Veteran Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: uk
Posts: 15,546
Received 2,085 Likes on 1,609 Posts
Default That Looks So Much Better!

She's looking so much better now! after a day of 'Grit' 'Determination' and 'Hard Work!'

Name:  CH11_zps49f3a653.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  163.2 KB



Name:  Cherry2_zpsd0d5e1c3.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  121.0 KB
 

Last edited by orangeblossom; 07-28-2014 at 07:23 AM.
  #32  
Old 07-28-2014, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Tehama County, California, USA
Posts: 16,810
Received 3,370 Likes on 2,630 Posts
Default

I'll bet she feels better after her bath, she certainly Looks better!
Now to get her lame feet fixed.....
(';')
 
The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (07-28-2014)
  #33  
Old 07-28-2014, 09:23 AM
Daim's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Bremen, Germany
Posts: 5,751
Received 2,046 Likes on 1,510 Posts
Default

Looking good! I thought my front suspension setup looked bad and rusty, but then I saw yours and thought "Heck, why am I complaining?"

That interior looks immaculate! This is book marked!!!
 
The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (07-28-2014)
  #34  
Old 07-28-2014, 12:31 PM
orangeblossom's Avatar
Veteran Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: uk
Posts: 15,546
Received 2,085 Likes on 1,609 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by LnrB View Post
I'll bet she feels better after her bath, she certainly Looks better!
Now to get her lame feet fixed.....
(';')
It was a little bit more than a bath!

Pressure Wash/Sand Blast/Pressure Wash/Black Wax/Exhaust Paint/

New Tyres on order 800 (UK) Thanks for reminding me!
 
  #35  
Old 07-28-2014, 12:47 PM
orangeblossom's Avatar
Veteran Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: uk
Posts: 15,546
Received 2,085 Likes on 1,609 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Daim View Post
Looking good! I thought my front suspension setup looked bad and rusty, but then I saw yours and thought "Heck, why am I complaining?"

That interior looks immaculate! This is book marked!!!
Hi Daim

I know exactly what you mean! I did get a bit of a shock when I took the Wheels off, I thought the Front Suspension was about to fall to bits, which is a bit weird as the Bodywork looks almost perfect.

The Interior looks immaculate, as she has only done 24,000 miles from New! and my previous GF was not allowed to sit in this Car in her Jeans.

So had to first have an interview to assess Her Suitability as a Passenger followed by an inspection at Quality Control.

Thanks for the Book Mark enjoy the ride!
 
The following users liked this post:
paulyling (08-29-2014)
  #36  
Old 07-28-2014, 01:23 PM
orangeblossom's Avatar
Veteran Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: uk
Posts: 15,546
Received 2,085 Likes on 1,609 Posts
Default Sometimes You Just Have To Get The Big Guns Out!

After banging and crashing for what seemed like a Week, I still couldn't manage to get the N/S Front Wheel Off!

Even my trusty Sledge Hammer failed to make it budge and I needed it off so that I could do both sides of the Front Suspension together.

Then I suddenly had an idea! Which I was unable to find in the Workshop Manual, even though it seemed a bit extreme but you know what they say 'Needs Must When The Devil Rides Out!'

So I put a great big 'Acrow Prop' between both of the Wheels, which I hung from the 'Down Pipes' as it was blinking heavy, after which I screwed it with a 2ft Pipe Wrench.

Even then it wouldn't move until I hit the back of the Rim with a 'Lead Club Hammer' and it didn't jump off either, as I was expecting it would and clung on like a 'Limpit' until the very last Thump with the hammer.

When unlike myself it gave up and as such I was now able to remove the Wheel and Tyre, which had perished and suffered a 'Blow Out' as a result.

So one of the next jobs is going to be refurbing the Front Suspension.

When it Stops raining! as I'd much rather get the Chassis done before I go and fit the Radiator.

Name:  Cherry3001_zps0233df13.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  108.8 KB

Name:  Cherry3002_zpsac82cd18.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  102.3 KB

Name:  Cherry3004_zpsbd26863e.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  97.9 KB

Name:  Cherry3003_zps9e10f348.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  119.8 KB
 
The following users liked this post:
paulyling (08-29-2014)
  #37  
Old 07-28-2014, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Tehama County, California, USA
Posts: 16,810
Received 3,370 Likes on 2,630 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by orangeblossom View Post
It was a little bit more than a bath!

[...]

New Tyres on order 800 (UK) Thanks for reminding me!
Well yeah I understand that, but I try to simplify whatever I can.

And you know how girls are about shoes.
(';')
 
The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (07-28-2014)
  #38  
Old 07-28-2014, 02:04 PM
Daim's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Bremen, Germany
Posts: 5,751
Received 2,046 Likes on 1,510 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by orangeblossom View Post
After banging and crashing for what seemed like a Week, I still couldn't manage to get the N/S Front Wheel Off!

Even my trusty Sledge Hammer failed to make it budge and I needed it off so that I could do both sides of the Front Suspension together.

Then I suddenly had an idea! Which I was unable to find in the Workshop Manual, even though it seemed a bit extreme but you know what they say 'Needs Must When The Devil Rides Out!'

So I put a great big 'Acrow Prop' between both of the Wheels, which I hung from the 'Down Pipes' as it was blinking heavy, after which I screwed it with a 2ft Pipe Wrench.

Even then it wouldn't move until I hit the back of the Rim with a 'Lead Club Hammer' and it didn't jump off either, as I was expecting it would and clung on like a 'Limpit' until the very last Thump with the hammer.

When unlike myself it gave up and as such I was now able to remove the Wheel and Tyre, which had perished and suffered a 'Blow Out' as a result.

So one of the next jobs is going to be refurbing the Front Suspension.

When it Stops raining! as I'd much rather get the Chassis done before I go and fit the Radiator.







I know how hard it can be to get a wheel off... My tip would have been: jack her up and with 2 or 3 lug nuts on, drop her hard. It sounds brutal, but that will loosen it up and get the tension off
 
The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (07-28-2014)
  #39  
Old 07-28-2014, 02:14 PM
orangeblossom's Avatar
Veteran Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: uk
Posts: 15,546
Received 2,085 Likes on 1,609 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by LnrB View Post
Well yeah I understand that, but I try to simplify whatever I can.

And you know how girls are about shoes.
(';')
Oh Yeah!

Sorry I forgot!

Also I think you were going to tell me about a Car that has rusted away under a cover in that hot climate of yours.

I can't believe that this one survived so unscathed.
 
  #40  
Old 07-28-2014, 02:19 PM
orangeblossom's Avatar
Veteran Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: uk
Posts: 15,546
Received 2,085 Likes on 1,609 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Daim View Post
I know how hard it can be to get a wheel off... My tip would have been: jack her up and with 2 or 3 lug nuts on, drop her hard. It sounds brutal, but that will loosen it up and get the tension off
Hi Daim

You can't do that with my 'Lifter' it comes down too slowly but the 'Acrow Prop' eventually did the Trick.

The restoration that you have done is absolutely 'Amazing!' I'm not really sure I could cope with something like that.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: