XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12

 
  #41  
Old 07-28-2014, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Kent, UK
Posts: 1,642
Received 940 Likes on 752 Posts
Default

OB,

Good work so far, but now the serious part begins. That front suspension looks like it needs a good examination. As you probably know, the key element is the front subframe and, in particular, the bottom of the spring pan. It's an area you can't even see properly with the spring in situ. And don't even think about removing the spring without the very substantial and specialist spring compressor! It's literally a matter of life and death. 350 to buy but can be hired thru' JEC etc.

If you take the spring out, absolutely essential to replace the lower bushes and pin (which will be seized) whilst it's apart. Plus the top and lower balljoints and top bushes. Because it's only the price of new parts once it's apart anyway.

Of course, if it's not coming apart and you're happy with the subframe, that completely changes the approach!

Good luck

Paul
 
The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (07-28-2014)
  #42  
Old 07-28-2014, 03:43 PM
Daim's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Bremen, Germany
Posts: 5,751
Received 2,046 Likes on 1,510 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by orangeblossom View Post
Hi Daim

You can't do that with my 'Lifter' it comes down too slowly but the 'Acrow Prop' eventually did the Trick.

The restoration that you have done is absolutely 'Amazing!' I'm not really sure I could cope with something like that.
It has just started Everything but finished at the moment. Loads more to do like rear axle removal and overhaul, seal some parts of the engine, redo the windscreen etc.

I like projects! Keeps me busy!
 

Last edited by Daim; 07-28-2014 at 03:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (07-28-2014)
  #43  
Old 07-28-2014, 03:47 PM
Steve M's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Wiltshire, UK
Posts: 3,797
Received 1,215 Likes on 921 Posts
Default

My subframe looked fine from underneath.
This is what it looked like when it came out.
 
Attached Thumbnails Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12-img_1780.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Steve M:
JayJagJay (06-11-2017), orangeblossom (07-28-2014)
  #44  
Old 07-28-2014, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Austin tx and Daytona FL.
Posts: 6,551
Received 888 Likes on 683 Posts
Default

i noticed the steering wheel is on the wrong side,(OOPS that is the right side),sorry!
 
The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (07-28-2014)
  #45  
Old 07-28-2014, 05:12 PM
orangeblossom's Avatar
Veteran Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: uk
Posts: 15,546
Received 2,085 Likes on 1,609 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ptjs1 View Post
OB,

Good work so far, but now the serious part begins. That front suspension looks like it needs a good examination. As you probably know, the key element is the front subframe and, in particular, the bottom of the spring pan. It's an area you can't even see properly with the spring in situ. And don't even think about removing the spring without the very substantial and specialist spring compressor! It's literally a matter of life and death. 350 to buy but can be hired thru' JEC etc.

If you take the spring out, absolutely essential to replace the lower bushes and pin (which will be seized) whilst it's apart. Plus the top and lower balljoints and top bushes. Because it's only the price of new parts once it's apart anyway.

Of course, if it's not coming apart and you're happy with the subframe, that completely changes the approach!

Good luck

Paul
Hi Paul

That has really Cheered me up! (Not!) but I know you know what you're talking about, so I'll start by giving the whole thing a good Clean up, so that I can see the 'Wood or Should that be the rust from the Trees'

If it all has to come apart, then so be it!
 
  #46  
Old 07-28-2014, 06:01 PM
orangeblossom's Avatar
Veteran Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: uk
Posts: 15,546
Received 2,085 Likes on 1,609 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Daim View Post
It has just started Everything but finished at the moment. Loads more to do like rear axle removal and overhaul, seal some parts of the engine, redo the windscreen etc.

I like projects! Keeps me busy!
Well in that case how soon can you get here!

I don't have time for projects, I don't even have time to sleep but I hate to pay Cowboys for anything I can do better myself and if I screw it up then its my fault.

My other XJS is a Classic Example, another one owner very low mileage 'Cream Puff' of a Car, that must have come out of 'Pampering Central Casting!' Always Garaged & Covered and really well looked after.

But just look at what happened, when he had a repair to the Exhaust!

This puts the word 'Bodge Up' on a whole new Plateau!

I just 'freaked' when I saw it as this is a repair that's so wrong on so many different levels!

If I need a job done, that I can't do myself, then all the Certificates on their Walls mean 'Sweet Naf All' to me!

First they get a grilling like they do with Politicians and if they Screw it up, then I won't pay!

So I always try and do the job myself!

I've got to replace the inboard Rotors on my other XJS so I hope you will be taking lots of Photos, to show myself and others how its done.

Because you simply cannot get that kind of guidance looking through a Manual and I must say that your Photographs are Ace!

Name:  exhaust_zpse641d84b.jpg
Views: 843
Size:  58.2 KB

What a bodge up! where do they find these people!
 
  #47  
Old 07-28-2014, 06:09 PM
orangeblossom's Avatar
Veteran Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: uk
Posts: 15,546
Received 2,085 Likes on 1,609 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
My subframe looked fine from underneath.
This is what it looked like when it came out.
OMG! Its got more holes than the GF's fishnet tights!
 
  #48  
Old 07-28-2014, 06:15 PM
orangeblossom's Avatar
Veteran Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: uk
Posts: 15,546
Received 2,085 Likes on 1,609 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ronbros View Post
i noticed the steering wheel is on the wrong side,(OOPS that is the right side),sorry!
Does this look any better?

Name:  CopyofCH16_zps061b4bce.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  68.0 KB
 
  #49  
Old 07-29-2014, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Austin tx and Daytona FL.
Posts: 6,551
Received 888 Likes on 683 Posts
Default

of course you could be totally unrealistic, and have a new sub-frame made out of STAINLESS STEEL, never rust again!

then again most Jag enthusiets are not very realistic, me included, when i started my project, some people said i was $&%#(unusual).
 

Last edited by ronbros; 07-29-2014 at 05:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (07-29-2014)
  #50  
Old 07-31-2014, 12:32 PM
orangeblossom's Avatar
Veteran Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: uk
Posts: 15,546
Received 2,085 Likes on 1,609 Posts
Default Front Suspension Clean & Repaint

Front Suspension: Looking Better after Power Wash/Shot Blast/Primer/Repaint/Black Wax.

Next Job will be to remove the Front Spoiler, not the easiest job in the World, as all the Screws are rusty and won't come undone and not enough room to grind them off with an Angle Grinder.

The best way I've found to do this, is to loosen them by tapping them on their sides with a Hammer and Chisel and then unscrewing them using a Screwdriver.

Then replace the lower panel and the lower grill, after cleaning and respray

Name:  Cherry1003_zps4d7e04fd.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  90.3 KB

Name:  Mystery001_zps19d31087.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  136.7 KB

Name:  Mystery002_zpsd15dddd3.jpg
Views: 882
Size:  135.8 KB

Name:  Mystery003_zps04219e7a.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  88.0 KB

Name:  Mystery004_zps5e1f10a0.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  94.9 KB
 

Last edited by orangeblossom; 08-01-2014 at 08:33 AM.
  #51  
Old 07-31-2014, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Kent, UK
Posts: 1,642
Received 940 Likes on 752 Posts
Default

OB,

Just as a matter of interest, what type of black wax are you using?

Tks

Paul
 
  #52  
Old 07-31-2014, 04:33 PM
orangeblossom's Avatar
Veteran Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: uk
Posts: 15,546
Received 2,085 Likes on 1,609 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ptjs1 View Post
OB,

Just as a matter of interest, what type of black wax are you using?

Tks

Paul
Hi Paul

I'm using 'Waxoil' Black Wax.
 
The following 2 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
ptjs1 (07-31-2014), xjsv12 (07-31-2014)
  #53  
Old 08-01-2014, 08:42 AM
orangeblossom's Avatar
Veteran Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: uk
Posts: 15,546
Received 2,085 Likes on 1,609 Posts
Default Mystery Objects! What are they & where do they go? XJS V12

I've got a couple of pieces left over and don't know what they are or where they go!

I'll give the red one a shot blast but I think it will need replacing though the black plastic one looks OK.

The main thing is that I don't want to start throwing money at her, at least until I have managed to get her running but am quite prepared to spend whatever it takes after that.

Can anyone help to identify these and show me where they fix to.

Name:  Mystery005_zps7ca39819.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  145.9 KB
 
  #54  
Old 08-01-2014, 10:10 AM
Steve M's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Wiltshire, UK
Posts: 3,797
Received 1,215 Likes on 921 Posts
Default

Do we win a prize?
 
The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (08-01-2014)
  #55  
Old 08-01-2014, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: France
Posts: 8,918
Received 4,431 Likes on 2,827 Posts
Default

The red piece goes under the black lower grille, between the inside edges of the lower 3/4 panels under the bumper/wing. The rounded long side goes forwards and on the lower grille there are pegs which go into it. The short sides bolt up to the aforesaid inner edges of the lower 3/4 panels, and the back straight edge bolts up to the bottom of the rad cross member. It forces air through the rad stack instead of letting it shoot underneath the car.

It will clean up OK, spot of Hammerite, it cannot be seen really.

The plastic piece looks a bit like the valence that goes back from the top edge of the bumper towards the panel along the middle front of the rad stack. Mine is different, but that is my guess. Otherwise, for all I know about convertible XJSs it could go anywhere!

Greg
 
The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (08-01-2014)
  #56  
Old 08-01-2014, 11:56 AM
orangeblossom's Avatar
Veteran Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: uk
Posts: 15,546
Received 2,085 Likes on 1,609 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Greg in France View Post
The red piece goes under the black lower grille, between the inside edges of the lower 3/4 panels under the bumper/wing. The rounded long side goes forwards and on the lower grille there are pegs which go into it. The short sides bolt up to the aforesaid inner edges of the lower 3/4 panels, and the back straight edge bolts up to the bottom of the rad cross member. It forces air through the rad stack instead of letting it shoot underneath the car.

It will clean up OK, spot of Hammerite, it cannot be seen really.

The plastic piece looks a bit like the valence that goes back from the top edge of the bumper towards the panel along the middle front of the rad stack. Mine is different, but that is my guess. Otherwise, for all I know about convertible XJSs it could go anywhere!

Greg
Hi Greg

Thanks!

Its all coming back to me now!

I cannot even remember what I was doing Yesterday, so trying to remember what happened 14 years ago, was a bit of a bridge too far.

I thought it was the Closing panel over the top of the Rad but as I already had one of those, this was a bit of a mystery.

Also you were bang on, where the Plastic Panel goes.

But need to get the Spoiler off, as there are a couple of rust spots, on the front lower quarter panels, which need some attention.
 
  #57  
Old 08-01-2014, 12:00 PM
orangeblossom's Avatar
Veteran Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: uk
Posts: 15,546
Received 2,085 Likes on 1,609 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Do we win a prize?
I don't think so, Greg got there first!
 
  #58  
Old 08-02-2014, 04:17 AM
orangeblossom's Avatar
Veteran Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: uk
Posts: 15,546
Received 2,085 Likes on 1,609 Posts
Default Stereo Upgrade This looks a bit of a Bargain!

If and When I get Her running, I might just treat myself to one of these.

Has anyone got one?

oneConcept MD-410 Car Radio USB SD MP3 at the Best Price!
 
  #59  
Old 08-02-2014, 07:08 AM
Daim's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Bremen, Germany
Posts: 5,751
Received 2,046 Likes on 1,510 Posts
Default

Hmm, I bought a "cheaper" radio which blends in a tad better, as it has multicolour display lighting. Nothing looks worse - in my opinion - than a blue display in an older car...

I think I paid 23 for this:


BlueTooth (Handsfree - works really well!), USB, MP3, SD, AUX, Radio (haha), comes with remove and other bits and bobs. Sound is fine! The factory speakers seem to cope well
 
  #60  
Old 08-02-2014, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Tehama County, California, USA
Posts: 16,810
Received 3,370 Likes on 2,630 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Daim View Post
Hmm, I bought a "cheaper" radio which blends in a tad better, as it has multicolour display lighting. Nothing looks worse - in my opinion - than a blue display in an older car...

I think I paid 23 for this:


BlueTooth (Handsfree - works really well!), USB, MP3, SD, AUX, Radio (haha), comes with remove and other bits and bobs. Sound is fine! The factory speakers seem to cope well
That looks Really Nice! Really nice indeed!
(';')
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: