XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12

Old 05-18-2019, 05:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Two Unrelated Problems Caused A Nightmare!

Which Did Their Best To Confuse The Clues

On the way to the MOT the Alternator Belt Snapped on 50 Shades my Grey XJS where only a short time after that, the Engine Died just like I'd Switched it off

If you've never had the Engine die on the kind of dual Carriage way, on which everyone appears to be hammering down to the Max, then you may just never know how frightening that is

Especially as this was in the middle of a Monsoon type of rainstorm, the like of which I've rarely ever seen but with the Jaguar Gods on my side, I managed to pull off the road before the worst happened

And then once having done so, the Clues to what was wrong became confusing, as I thought that when the Alternator Belt snapped and then proceeded to wrap itself around the Crankshaft Pulley

This may have hit the CPS (Crank Position Sensor) and taken it out of the game, as after I got the Car home on the back of a Car Trailer belonging to one of my friends, strange things started to happen!

Having replaced all the Belts with New ones, another little Nightmare Job if you've never done it before the Engine would Start and then She would run for almost exactly 10 minutes

But then as soon as the Temperature Gauge started moving the Engine would die and wouldn't restart again until it was absolutely Stone Cold and then the same thing would happen all over again!

Very Strange, so what could be the problem?

Though before I go any further, I really want to back track to the time that I took 50 Shades out of the garage for the first time after Winter

If you drive an XJS then it pays to Check everything and I do mean 'everything' before you Start Her up, including of course the Coolant, so I made sure the Auxiliary Tank and The Radiator were both full to Overflowing

At which point I backed her out of the Garage and then drove her round the back of the House, for a Wash and Polish

Only a very Short journey but during that time the Electric Aux Fan cut in to Cool the Engine and ran for quite a long time, at which point I was thinking that this was very strange but then somehow dismissed it from my mind

Where at the time I did so, I never realized just how very Significant this could be!

So holding that thought in your head, its time to return to this inexplicable Engine dying problem which seemed to be Heat Related, where She would Start on the Button and die after just 10 minutes just like I'd turned the Key an switched her off

Everything was pointing to a faulty CPS where maybe heat from the Engine was making her go Open Circuit or something like that, or else knocked out of position after being hit with that Flying Alternator Belt

So just to be sure I checked on the Coolant again, where the Rad and Aux Tank were still filled right up to the Top, which sort of led me to believe that the CPS was the problem, where I hasten to add it Still might be (though now I'm not so sure)

Research is never a waste of time, so I Googled around in order to see if anyone else had experienced this Engine Cutting Out problem on an XJS V12, where I was surprised to find a lot of people had

Yet very few people actually managed to fix it, where some reported it went away and at the other end of the Scale, a Guy to his Car to a Garage and ended up paying $1,000 for parts which still didn't fix it

After that I had a look at some of those Websites that offer to tell you what's wrong with your Car and then leave it up to you to make a donation

Where again the Number One Suspect, was a 'Faulty' Crank Position Sensor (Which once again I'll say it could well be) but with the benefit of hindsight, Now I'm Not So Sure!

Although just to be on the Safe Side, the GF is collecting a New Crank Position Sensor as Well as a Water Temperature Sensor, which should arrive while I am typing this

So in preparation I removed the Original Water Temperature Sensor but have not removed the CPS at this Stage, the reason being that I wanted to get Breakfast Ready for when the GF returned

At which point I had a moment where I felt the Blood drain from my face, as when I removed the Coolant Temperature Sensor, which was laying on the Breakfast Table

It was then that I suddenly realized that the end of the probe was DRY instead of WET!

So I ran outside and looked into the hole that I had taken it out of and although there was some Water in there, it wasn't high enough to reach the Probe on the End of the Water Temperature Sensor! OMG

Next I checked the Rad and Aux Tank and they were still both Full and so it would seem the Water isn't Circulating in the Engine, which Could be the Reason that the Engine is Cutting out after 10 Minutes

Just as soon as the Temperature Gauge is Starting to Lift off

At which point I am hoping that Greg and Grant will Start Screaming that the Thermostat is Stuck!

Though having had the Alternator Belt Snap and seeing it wrapped around the Crank Shaft Pulley, may have sent me looking in the wrong direction, when trying to find what was wrong

And although it could still be the CPS, now I'm not so sure!

(1) Electric Auxiliary Fans Cutting in after moving the Car a Short distance (Not Normal on this Car)

(2) Engine Always Started On The Button when Cold (If the CPS was faulty would that happen)

(3) Engine Always Cuts Out as Soon as the Temp Gauge Moves (Not Normal and points to the Water Temperature Sensor)

(4) Probe on the Water Temperature Sensor Dry (Not Normal I would have thought)

All the Clues seem to be there but with the benefit of Hindsight (always a wonderful thing) The Snapping Alternator Belt seemed to have me believing that this was related to the Engine Dying problem

So maybe it is or not as the Case may be, although if I am able to get the Coolant Flowing then I'm hoping the problem will be fixed and go away

Old 05-18-2019, 05:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,076 Likes on 5,344 Posts

Alex
Poke something down the sensor hole, there might be a crud buildup in there. Then remove the filler cap from the cross pipe and top it up, water should come out of the sensor hole. The sensor is on the engine side of the thermostat, so I do not think that low coolant is the source of the problem, even though a somehow blocked hole could be.

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (05-18-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Greg

Cheers!

I'll do exactly that and report back, just waiting for the GF to get back with the Parts

Old 05-18-2019, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member

50 Shades Won't Start

The Nightmare Continues!

Hi Honey I'm home!

Yelled the GF as She bounded through the door and while I should have been pleased to see her, the only thing I wanted to know was did She get the Parts to fix the Car

Well did you? I said hoping that the Answer would be Yes and absolutely terrified that She would Answer No

Course, replied the GF as She threw me a Box, let's just hope its everything you need

Water Temperature Sensor? Course!

Crank Position Sensor? Course!

Why don't you just open the box and see for yourself!

Yeah I thought, why don't I just do that!

I was so excited that it just felt like Christmas as I ripped the Box apart

OMG! I said to her, where did you get that as I pulled out the Crank Sensor and held it up to the light, like someone examining some sort of precious Jewell

Do my eyes deceive me or is that a Marelli Magneti that is stamped made in Italy?

Course it is said the GF that is the real deal unless you want me to Change it for an 'el cheapo' aftermarket one

No, I mean No, No, No! where the hell did you manage to find that?

Don't ask questions said the GF, just put it on the Car

Have a look at the Temperature Sensor, that little thing is usually a Tenner on its own, so I'll leave you to play while I go out running

Bye said the GF as She ran off, with the words Amazing and Love you 'Babe' still ringing in her ears

But as for me there was no time to lose, as I grabbed a bunch of Spanners and Psyched myself up with every intention of getting this Show on the Road

And so the first job was to remove the Old Water Temperature Sensor and hope and pray that the end of the probe was dipping in Water instead of nothing at all

Removing the Old Water Temperature Sensor

Following 'Greg's' Instructions I dipped a makeshift probe into the Water and it Thankfully came out Wet! which was a really massive relief, as I felt I'd dodged a Bullet there

As soon as I took the Centre Cap off the Radiator, the hole for the Water Temperature Sensor was full to overflowing which was just what I wanted to see

Plenty of Coolant so time to install the New Temperature Sensor

Trial Fit of the Temperature Sensor to make quite sure it fitted nice and snugly in the Plug

In order to eliminate One of Two possible Causes of the 'No Start Problem' I decided to leave the original Crank Position Sensor in place

But now for the moment of Truth!

As having connected the Battery I sat in the Car and Turned the Key, where although the Engine turned over, She just wouldn't Start and although I felt totally gutted, Tomorrow is another day

And Tomorrow I'll fit the Crank Sensor and hope that does the trick

Old 05-20-2019, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member

50 Shades Of Grey Won't Start!

Time To Fit The New Crank Position Sensor

Only Two Bolts At One End And A Plug At The Other

'I mean how hard can it be!'

The GF has just gone out for a run, I thought this would be a 10 minute Job but Six Hours Later!

I'm still there and right back where I started

The Infamous Crank Position Sensor! Could this be the reason why '50 Shades' won't Start?

Why are you still under the Car, haven't you fixed it yet?

'Ouch!' I said as I hit my head on the Underbeam Cross Bar, as I attempted to slide out from under '50 Shades' to see the GF standing there in her attention seeking 'arn't I drop dead gorgeous' bright pink Track Suit

And while gorgeous is pushing the envelope just a little bit, I have to say that I've seen worse and the way that I looked at the moment all covered in grease and grime, compared to her at this moment in time I was punching above my weight

'What's the matter' said the GF don't tell me it doesn't fit!

I've managed to get the Sensor on but I can't thread the Cable through the hole that it came out of

'And you've been there for Six Hours and you haven't done that yet!'

Yes er... I mean No!

'Give me some gloves'

'Not those! I want Clean ones! and get me a Blanket to lay on and while you're about get me some tools including those long nose pliers that I bought you for Christmas'

'Don't just stand there get moving!' I've got to put the dinner on in a minute

You're never going to fix it by then, trust me you're wasting your time

'You're the one who's wasting time, so shut up and bring me the Tools'

Yes my little Princess, anything you say but there is no way that you can fix it tonight, why don't we wait until daylight and by the way (I said jokingly!) I've never been so insulted in my life

'Well in that case I suggest you get out more!'

This is normal banter, we're always joshing each other and that's why we never get bored She's absolutely hilarious and that's why we never stop laughing!

Gloves/Blanket/Tools/Pliers 'Now what?

'Watch and learn, that's what!'

There is no way She can do this, so this is gonna be fun!

'Look under the Bonnet' Can you see the Plug?

Yes!

'Well don't just stand there looking, just grab hold of it and pull it through!'

OMG! how did you do that!

'Easy' said the GF, sliding out from under the Car and slamming the pliers in my chest, I'll leave you to connect the plug if you think you can manage that?

'But some of us have got work to do, like getting the dinner on but just before I go and do that is there anything else that needs fixing apart from yourself?

Anymore Speedo's want fixing like what happened last time? (She just had to bring that up, I thought She'd forgot about that)

So now with the Smirk Switch turned up to the Max, She sauntered off into the Kitchen to prepare our evening meal

Its all an act that She puts on, She's really just a Sugar Plum and I don't know what I would do without her and I'd also miss the massive discount that She always seems to get on XJS parts!

So putting all of that aside, where did I go wrong, apart that is from not getting her to do the Job in the first place!

Putting on the VR Sensor is the easiest part of the Job and even that is not without its problems, as besides a number 8 socket and a 6in extension, you could certainly do with one of those magnetic pick-up sticks

Because as well as the Sensor Head, there is also a protective Shield to protect the Sensor if a belt snaps, which I would add very clearly, failed to work in this case

So in order to put this Shield back that the bolts also have to pass through as well as the holes on the Sensor Fixing Plate itself, then the magnetic pick-up stick is almost not an option that you would ever want to consider doing without

As the magnetic stick holds the Shield in place, while you screw the bolts in with your other hand and even doing that is not as simple as it sounds and so you need a big white cloth underneath the beam to catch the bolts in every time you drop them

Then having got the easy bit well out of the way, its only then that the Nightmare, can really begin in earnest!
and that is the deceptively very simple job of trying to feed the Sensor Wire through a hole that doesn't seem to exist!

Where just in case you were thinking of threading it through a different hole or trying to take a different route, all I can say is forget it, as the wire will be too short to connect to the loom plug

It has to go back exactly the same way it came out, which is through a hole you cannot see and no good tying it onto a string to try and pull it through, as while you do that with the Rear one, if you try that with the front one it will only make things worse

Because with or without that string, the Plug on the end of that Sensor wire is unless your luck is in, will be almost certain to get jammed up, so that you cannot either push it up or else pull it out

In which case you could well be there for hours like I was or have what I am convinced was nothing short of beginners luck like the GF had, although She did what I should have done and bent those Spring clips out of the way with the Pliers

In which case it could well be that She really was my lucky Charm! and She's also a bit of a 'Whizz' in the Kitchen as Well!

So with the Sensor now in place and the plug connected up by ME!

The Question was would '50 Shades' now Start?

To be Continued.........

Old 05-21-2019, 03:19 AM
Received 360 Likes on 213 Posts

Haa had to laugh, I am thinking you need to moving in to the kitchen and leave the fixing to the GF....
Maybe it got something to do with the fact women are always able to find the right spot while us males fumble around and the frustration builds before they just get on and sort it themselves!
Sounds just like your crank sensor repair.
When it comes to threading things in to holes my wife is much better at it than me!

orangeblossom (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Duke

Not the first time has She shown me up like this, She also fixed my Speedo when it wasn't working and then once having done so went straight into 'Smug Mode' that seemed to last for ever

Still I won't deny her a moment of glory for as much as I hate to admit it, I couldn't have done it without her

GF Fixed my Speedo (according to her!)

Old 05-21-2019, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member

50 Shades Won't Start!

But Will She Now?

Having now fitted the CPS (Crank Position Sensor) with just a little (OK a Lot!) of help from the GF, it was getting really near to the last throw of the dice

As if this didn't fix it, then I couldn't think of anything else that could but what I found so very strange was that there was no sign any physical damage to the CPS Sensor and as such got to thinking that I would have been much happier if there was

Then I would have known for sure that this was the cause of the 'No Start Problem'

Having a Belt snap the way that it did, might not be considered unusual except that with an XJS it sometimes doesn't end there, as if the Belt hits the VR Sensor of the CPS then it can cut the engine, just as if you had turned it off with the Key

Where if and when that happens, then it could turn into a Nervous Breakdown of simply epic proportions, as I found out for myself the moment that this happened

And had I been overtaking a Truck then it could have been Game Over, which is why I renewed ALL the Belts and not just the one that had shredded and now I am going to do that on 'Cherry Blossom' as well before its too late

But as of right now, I wanted to know if '50 Shades' would Start and wanted the GF beside me to share in that moment, after double checking everything to make sure that everything was connected up

New Alternator Belt On Together With The New Crank Position Sensor

I left the lead out of that Clip before I took the Photo as one just like it a bit higher up was causing lots of problems as the Plug on the lead kept getting jammed up, which is why this little job took so long to do

'Warrjon' was only half joking I think when he mentioned it might be easier to take the Engine out, although having struggled six hours to do this I'm now starting to think that just maybe, he really wasn't joking after all!

Quite possibly the hardest and also the most frustrating job that I have ever done on a Car and I still maintain that the GF may have got lucky or maybe She could visualize the passage that the wire must take that you can't even see

Whichever it was She was ready to go and in my hand I held onto the Ignition Key as I nervously slid it into the Ignition, almost scared to turn it as if She didn't Start, I wondered how I'd handle the Crushing disappointment of it all

What are you waiting for said the GF?

Start her up and then we can have dinner and I've done your favourite, we've got Roast Lamb tonight with Roast Potatoes!

Awww! I said, I just don't know what I have done to deserve a Girl like you!

Neither do I, so Start her up before I go and give it to the Cat!

But we haven't got a Cat?

Don't worry I will find one!

Go on then stop messing about and turn the blinking key!

So closing my eyes and counting to Three, with my heart beating out of my Chest, I flicked the Key over

None of the usual Turbine Whir, this was 'Light-Switch' Ignition, as the Engine burst into life and just kept on running and running even better than did before

OMG you did it! I said to the GF!

I was out of ideas and you fixed it!

How will I ever repay you

'Don't worry I'll think of something!'

And knowing her She will!

The following 3 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
89 Jacobra (06-01-2019), Fla Steve (05-22-2019), Greg in France (05-22-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 09:23 AM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts

Congrats...fun read. Maybe next replace the one on the flywheel as a preventative measure?

orangeblossom (05-22-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Steve

I'm not even sure where the other Crank Position Sensor is located, except that I think its on the rear of the engine somewhere although I cannot find a photo of one on a V12 Engine that shows where it is

In the interests of Safety, this may be one of the very few jobs that I would have a 'Shop' do on their lifter, although there is a part of me that says 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'

Where the only reason I changed the front one was because it got hit with the belt when it shredded, which took it right out of the game

So I am really not sure what the form on this is: Leave well alone or change it every few years, so maybe I'll ask that question on the Forum

What I do know, is that if the Crank Position Sensor fails for any reason, then it will instantly switch OFF the Engine and if you happen to find yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time

It could cause a major accident or worse

Which is why I'm just a little bit Scared of taking her back to my favourite 'Shop' for her MOT as while they are always very careful with their Customers Cars, the only downside being that in order to get there

I've got to take her down that road which is usually full of Trucks and fast moving Cars, where things can get a little bit Crazy at times, with very few places to pull off the road, if you get a problem or your Car breaks down

And while '50 Shades' Starts on the button and seems to run ok

She hasn't been out on the road since She has been fixed, so I'm thinking of going local for the MOT and then driving round much closer to home to give her some shakedown runs

Last edited by orangeblossom; 05-22-2019 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:58 AM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts

I don't have a handy picture for you right now. The CPS is located on the trans bell housing inspection cover on the LH side. Yes you need to be under the car to see it; as the exhaust pipe runs right by it; there is a small heat shield guarding it. Actually much easier to fit than the one up front.

orangeblossom (05-28-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 01:01 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Steve

Sorry to take so long getting back but for a multitude of reasons, all my XJS's are off the road and which I will be expanding on in my next post very soon

As for the rear Crank Position Sensor, I'm still not sure if this counts as a Service Item to be changed on a regular basis as if the Alternator Belt, hadn't snapped and taken it out of the game then who knows how long it would have lasted

But when I take 50 Shades along for her MOT, I will try and get and get a Photo of where it goes

Old 05-28-2019, 01:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Steve

Sorry to take so long getting back but for a multitude of reasons, all my XJS's are off the road and which I will be expanding on in my next post very soon

As for the rear Crank Position Sensor, I'm still not sure if this counts as a Service Item to be changed on a regular basis as if the Alternator Belt, hadn't snapped and taken it out of the game then who knows how long it would have lasted

But when I take 50 Shades along for her MOT, I will try and get and get a Photo of where it goes
An expensive service item, if you choose to replace it, for all I know my car's rear sensor (89 coupe) lasted 220000km at most given my incomplete service record, last time the car was serviced was 2006 prior to me pulling it out of a very long slumber so I'd say they last a long time, between 10-30yrs but not forever, I think theres some magnetic component that dulls over time until it doesn't work anymore.

orangeblossom (06-05-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 02:49 AM
Veteran Member

Water Water Everywhere But Not A Drop To Drink

All My XJS's Are Off The Road!

With the benefit of Hindsight 'Which is always a wonderful thing' I should never have bought myself as many XJS's as I did although from my own point of view, they can be as addictive as Wine Gums

Where once you start collecting them, before you know what's happening in my case I found it impossible to stop, which was not only totally stupid but also insanely expensive and can make a packed of Wine Gums seem like a bit of a bargain!

I used to have Ten but now I am down to a much more respectable Six and even that is too many and looking back now the question I ask, was what on earth was I thinking!

As all I did was go to work and then save up to buy another one, only to lose money on the ones I sold because potential buyers were simply terrified of how much one of those Cars could cost to maintain

Or Crazy enough to buy a Car with a 12 cylinder engine, that seems to have an unquenchable thirst for the 5 Star! as just like any 'Diva' She is no cheap date!

Although as far as I'm concerned, it is a price worth paying to drive one of the best Sports Cars that Jaguar ever made and have come to the conclusion that there is either something that's very wrong with me

Or just maybe I'm OK and it is all them others.....

As I've owned a lot of Cars in my time and after a while the 'Buzz' I got from my initial ownership wore off

Although that never happened when I bought 'Cherry Blossom' which apart from the GF is the 'Love of my Life' well OK just the Car then but I'm sure you get the idea

As 'Cherry' is so beautiful that if She were a Girl then She could make a Bishop, Kick a hole right through a Stained Glass Window!

No other Car excites me in the way that 'Cherry' does and makes me tingle every time that I open her door, where something happens to me that is quite hard to explain, except to say She really makes my heart sing

As I cannot believe how lucky I am and count my blessings every single day and do have to thank 'The Jaguar Gods' for telling me She is the one, so just stop staring at her and buy her right now and have to say I'm so glad that I did

The only downside being that you have to Spoil and Pamper Her, which apart from the running costs, can mean spending quite a lot of money

Though if not that then spending hours laying on your back doing the most complicated jobs you can imagine, up to and beyond the point of questioning your own Sanity for ever buying this type of Car in the first place

As when it comes to maintenance, this is a Car that can sort out the men from the boys and even though I have never considered myself to be any sort of Mechanic and up until quite recently never had a Socket Set

The one thing that I did have was an overdose of passion for this Car and if that means getting down and dirty as it often does, then only my demise will ever stop me

As I will do what ever it takes, including an abundance of 'Blood Sweat and Tears' to keep 'Cherry Blossom' up to snuff, for which I would thank the Forum for convincing me that absolutely anything is possible

Which in this respect I don't think it could be allowed to pass, without a 'Shout Out' to 'Greg' and 'Grant' and 'Warrjon' as when the Chips are really down, these guys in particular are the ones that have rode to my rescue

Though having said that I have to say, that I've learned Stuff from everyone who's ever had a problem with their XJS as someone on the Forum always seems to have a solution

But once the Car is sorted and your Bank Balance exhausted, then you have something that feels very Special, as from the moment you slide on the Connolly Hide of those very comfortable Seats

You find yourself enveloped in an Aura, as this Car has just that kind of Charisma and make you even better looking than you ever felt you need to be and can snap knicker elastic, the moment She comes into sight

Except that at the moment its all gone wrong for me, as '50 Shades' still needs an MOT and 'Cherry Blossom' needs to be Taxed for the road, so this was one Bank Holiday that I was XJS less!

The only Consolation for me anyway, was that the Weather has not been as nice as it quite often is at this time of Year and in fact I would go so far as to say, that just apart from one or two days Summer is yet to kick off

As such its not worth Taxing 'Cherry' until June 1st which has given me the Chance to catch up on the other jobs around the house that I keep putting off

And so when the Sun eventually Shines, we are planning lots of adventures, including a Visit to some of the Filming Locations that were used in the Making of the 'Lovejoy' TV Series, which always featured loads of Classic Cars and XJS's

Dukejag (05-31-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 05:56 AM
Veteran Member

Just lost a whole page of Text and Photos that took me hours to type out and was left with just one Photo that wouldn't have made any sense so I deleted it, there is something wrong with this new system, as it is not the first time this has happened

Last edited by orangeblossom; 06-02-2019 at 06:08 AM.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Why don't you type it into MS Word then copy and paste into the forum. As long as you copy the link to the photo into word it will paste and show in the forum.

I do this if I have a long post

The following 2 users liked this post by warrjon:
Greg in France (06-03-2019), orangeblossom (06-04-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member

'The Road To Recovery'

Why I Cancelled My Breakdown Insurance
With the benefit of hindsight, taking out Breakdown Insurance was never a good idea and in any event my Father would never forgive me, as he purposely didn't send me to a very good School and threatened to disown me if I ever passed any exams

He wasn't joking either and used to help me bunk off School at every opportunity, so I could tag along with him as he was paranoid that I would turn into a 'Snowflake'

Although at the time in question, that description was only used to describe the stuff that fell out of the Sky in Winter, so when I left School I had nothing in the way of pieces of paper, to show for all the hard work that I wasn't allowed to do!

Not that I wanted to anyway, as going around with dad was much more fun, as one of the first jobs that I had after leaving School was training as a Dog Handler at the Famous Wembley Stadium

And once I'd got the hang of that they trained me up as the Starter for the Greyhound Races, where I had to wear a Bowler Hat together with some Jodhpurs and a Hacking Jacket, with a White Coat over the Top

Which at that age looked ridiculous and I've got the photos to prove it and although the money was rubbish, it was one of the most fun jobs that I've ever had, where for some reason that can't be explained it really made my dad so proud of me

I think that he secretly loved the idea of me hanging out with that kind of Crowd, rather than some boring office job, where all the Contacts that I made and people I got to know seemed to act as stepping stones to the other fun jobs that I've had

So he would have really hated me taking out Breakdown Insurance, as he would have regarded that as I sign of failure for ever bringing me up to do something like that

Because in his eyes I'd be Sleep Walking into a 'Bear Trap' and having had a Chance to think it over, I can now see he was right, because quite simply by Signing up

I'd be handing Control of my Beautiful Car, over to somebody else and put myself in a position where they would make all the decisions instead of myself and that would be the really 'Lazy' way of doing things things!

And while I'm sure it works for those who don't like getting dirty and would rather get on with their lives, I now know this is something that wouldn't work for me

Where my only excuse for signing up in the first place, was that this unusual breakdown really freaked me out and saw a Breakdown Service as a life raft to cling onto, if something similar happened in the future

Which I now regard as being 'Twisted Logic' on my part

Because a Breakdown Service cannot stop you Breaking down, so if you breakdown and Survive no matter where you are being like me you don't have a Wife and Kids to worry about

Then I would say at that point that the worst is really over but only providing that you know what to do next and that is where the whole thing really fell apart for me, as I was totally unprepared

In case the Worst should happen and it did!..............to be continued

Old 06-05-2019, 02:40 AM
Received 360 Likes on 213 Posts

OB - that was rather deep, sounds like you had a great relationship with your Dad, lots don't (I know) and so that is important.
I belong to the AA and if I break down, they will get my car home. Just what I want to happen in such a case. My wife is a 30yr member so I just added my name to her membership.
Cost all up under $100 NZ and this means we are good for what ever car we are driving. AA look after the member no matter what car they are driving.
So in NZ AA is cheap and worth the cost for piece of mind.
From the web site:

We are only a phone call or click away when the unexpected happens on the road. You can count on us.
We reach 90% of breakdowns within the hour and 92% are mobilised at the roadside. Your AA Membership covers you, not the vehicle.
You are covered whether you're the driver or the passenger no matter what car you are in.

As a 30yr member unlimited call outs.

orangeblossom (06-05-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 04:24 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Vancouver XJ6

Yes! you are probably right, as the Crank Position Sensor could last for Thousands of Miles but not if it gets suddenly hit by a flying alternator belt, like mine did when it snapped

Where with the benefit of hindsight I was able to see that I was really the Architect of my own downfall, as for some reason that can't be explained, I didn't listen to 'Gregs' advice and change all the belts on this Car

As I remember having a look at it while I was replacing the 'drop links' and thinking that 'It looks ok to me' (Famous Last Words!)

But having had a look at the remains of the one that broke, it looks and feels quite 'chrispy' with all those years of wear and tear and heat and so if only I had changed them (all!) when 'Greg' told me too, then I wouldn't have got myself in this mess

Where price wise they are as 'cheap as chips' so no excuses really except that I screwed up, although the one thing I learned from that is that if one of those Belts snaps, then all hell can break loose

Which in my case is exactly what happened!

Old 06-05-2019, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Duke

Yeah! we were peas in a pod and always on the same page, gone but not forgotten and so I always ask myself 'What would he have done?'

Cancelled the blinking Insurance that's what, for reasons of which I'll explain

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12