XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Hi Daim@Brinny

No Photos of the Clips I used before and they are also nothing like 'R' Clips but I finally figured out where I went wrong Doh!

Photos of Plan 'B' to follow

Old 08-08-2018, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 424 Likes on 251 Posts

I remember taking them off my facelift car and nearly lost one. I also remember refitting the pipes and one fell straight back out. The clip hadn’t entered the slot properly. After that I made double sure, and when their in their in. Surely one of the breakers will post you a couple.?

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by brinny
I remember taking them off my facelift car and nearly lost one. I also remember refitting the pipes and one fell straight back out. The clip hadn’t entered the slot properly. After that I made double sure, and when their in their in. Surely one of the breakers will post you a couple.?
Hi Brinny

I did find a couple of New ones £23 each!!!!

So now I know where I went wrong I am going to make some, photos to follow soon which will hopefully not be of a burned out XJS

Last edited by orangeblossom; 08-08-2018 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 668 Posts

You are having fun. Good on you for catching it in time.
This time, can you work out a way to pressure test the clips and hose with water before trying something more volatile?
(Also, a pair of safety goggles might come in handy....)

orangeblossom (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Someday

When I took the Clips off the Fuel Pipes in order to get the Tank out, they were so hard to get to that I had to lever them off with a Screwdriver, where they went 'ping!' and disappeared into the 'Wide Blue Yonder' which I've heard is full of stuff like that

Where silly me was thinking I could go and buy some New Ones, unaware that they were NLA or I would have dug the garden up in order to try and find them, although I have a feeling that the Lawnmower got there first

As for the leaking petrol it was really gushing out like a garden hose, so looking on the plus side at least I know the New Fuel Pump is working, although on this occasion possibly a little bit too well

Where the Car could have then gone kapow! at any given moment but thankfully I got there just in time, unlike one of my Garages that got struck by lightning and knocked a big hole in the roof but didn't catch fire as it was raining too hard

I'll try and get you a photo of that in due course

Possibly the worst part, was getting squirted in the eye with petrol, where if I let go of the Fuel Pipe that I was holding in to stop the flow, 20L of 5 Star could have spilled all over the floor

Which thankfully didn't happen, as unbeknownst to me this XJS was fitted with Self Sealing Connections on the Tank, unlike my eyes, which needed to be washed out with the Garden Hose

But with so many things going wrong, I just cannot be bothered to worry about it

Old 08-08-2018, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 668 Posts

Self-sealing stembolts, no doubt. Very useful.
But do wear eye protection! Any time any liquid could squirt into your eyes, or something drop into your eyes. You have more XJSs than eyes, after all....

Old 08-09-2018, 05:29 AM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

The eagle-eyed will notice I have deleted orangeblossom's post Fitting The Fuel Filler Sleeve And Making Clamps For The Fuel Pipes. This was done at orangeblossom's request because it contained a procedure which was later discovered to be unsuitable.

To retain the logic in the thread, I have also deleted Daim and Greg's replies which referenced it.

Graham

The following 3 users liked this post by GGG:
Grant Francis (08-09-2018), Greg in France (08-09-2018), orangeblossom (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 06:42 AM
Received 10,292 Likes on 6,811 Posts

Alex,

Late as usual.

Down here we called them "Jesus clips", as aligned with the words muttered as they flew out of any ones sight.

Later XJ40 had them, and the UK would have acres of XJ40's quietly rotting away, waiting for you, HA.

I dont have any, or the post would already be rushing to your door.

orangeblossom (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Alex,

Late as usual.

Down here we called them "Jesus clips", as aligned with the words muttered as they flew out of any ones sight.

Later XJ40 had them, and the UK would have acres of XJ40's quietly rotting away, waiting for you, HA.

I dont have any, or the post would already be rushing to your door.
Hi Grant

Cheers!

That was a very generous gesture which was appreciated but as luck would have it the GF has managed to find a packet of new Clips, although we don't know what sizes will be in the packet

But since they're as rare as 'Rocking Horse Teeth' we are not asking questions, as they are NLA

With a little bit more luck they might arrive next week

Old 08-12-2018, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member

Chapter 93

Fixing 'Carmen's' Fuel Pump

I've Just Found A Needle in A Haystack!!!!

Having fitted the Fuel Tank with a New In-Tank Fuel Pump and put it back in 'Carmen' which was a Total PITA to do, there was just one small problem left to overcome, which was that I'd somehow lost the pair of the Fuel Pipe Clips

That lock the the Flow and Return Pipes into the Fuel Tank.

As they are so awkward to get to, I had to flick them off with a Screwdriver where the pair of them went 'Ping' into the 'Wide Blue Yonder' and were never seen again

Which didn't seem a problem, as I could pick up some new ones from my local Jaguar Dealer or even get some off ebay, except that unbeknownst to me one of those vital clips was NLA!

Where I was thinking OMG! what do I do now, as though I tried to make some, the whole thing very nearly ended in disaster with gallons of petrol flooding out under the car

As such I was at a bit of a loss as to know what to do and contacted one or two breakers in the hope that they might have some secondhand ones but they are as rare as 'rocking horse teeth' and just about impossible to get hold of

So yesterday (Saturday) I took a step back from 'Carmen' and we went out 'Tripping' instead, on one of the most perfect days that you can imagine in my V12 'Cherry Blossom'

It was Jeans and 'T' Shirt weather but not as blazing hot as it had been and as for 'Cherry Blossom' She didn't disappoint and Started on the button, with that familiar turbine Whoosh and Whir, which left us in no doubt that She was just raring to go!

As having first reversed her out of 'Orange Blossom Towers' we headed out down to the Countryside on one of my favourite drives which had it all

From sweeping bends to single and dual carriageways, which is the kind of day out that 'Cherry Blossom' loves as much as we do, then into the Woods for a Picnic in the Forest

The whole day was amazing and was just picture perfect in every single way, with 'Cherry's Temps' just below the Normal, right where they want to be

In total contrast with today which was very overcast and gloomy and not a very good day to go out, so while the GF did some washing and hung it on the line, I thought I'd jack up 'Carmen' so that I could try out my home made axle stands

Which weren't really home made in the true sense of the word but more a couple of old Steel Wheels that I took off my Merc, when I put a set of Alloys on

They seemed perfect for the job and did feel a lot safer that using axle stands but as I didn't need much height, I used them with the deep dish facing upwards, which made the car feel that much more secure

As since I hadn't got the Fuel Pipe Clips, I thought I'd treat the underside with Waxoyl

I always like to Waxoyl the underside using a brush, as that way you can make sure you don't miss anything and then do the Wheel Arches with a sprayer

Where just as I was brushing some Waxoyl on the chassis just over the Top of the Exhaust, the Fuel Pipe Clips that I had thought were gone and lost forever, then tumbled down onto the floor beside me

Not just one but both of them, which included the one that was NLA!

I don't know how I missed them, as when they 'pinged off' I looked everywhere, except of course there!

So all I can say is praise be to the Jaguar Gods

I'm so Paranoid about losing these now, that I am going to surround the car with something like old sheets, so that they can't fly off into the 'Wide Blue Yonder' anymore!

Old 08-13-2018, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member

Chapter 93

Fixing 'Carmen's' Fuel Pump

Putting On The 'Clipz'
By some unexpected 'Miracle' I managed to find the Clips, which I thought were lost and gone forever, where to make matters worse I couldn't buy any new ones, as they were NLA

Except that yesterday it seemed 'The Jaguar Gods' were on my side when I somehow found them laying on the top of one of the Silencers and I could even swear that I'd looked there

Though with the benefit of hindsight, nowhere near enough!

But now that I had found them I was quite determined to never let them go, as these little Clips were like 'gold dust'

Where I'm not ashamed to say that Paranoia started to take over, as my quest to never let them go out of my eye sight then turned into some sort of obsession

As I tethered them together like you would Pets on a lead, where overnight I kept them by our bedside

You two are going nowhere near the 'Wide Blue Yonder' this time you're both going on my Car!

While 'Clipping' the Fuel Pipes to the Tank might seem like a 5 Minute Job, the reality is a bit different, as the Fuel Pipes on my Car were only just long enough

Which maybe why you need a Special Tool to put them on but as I hadn't got one I had to make my own, which only took Ten Minutes and was made out of a piece of Copper Pipe

Homemade Tool to put the Fuel Pipes on

In truth its a PITA Job, as the Flow and Return Tubes that stick out of the Tank, poke through a small hole near the Cage, which is positioned high up in the Air and is 'almost' big enough for you to put your hand through

Where if you can or when you do blocks out all your Vision so you can't see anything, which means you have to do it all by feel

Using my Homemade Tool to push the Pipes on, as the Fuel Pipes only seem to be just long enough

With the Fuel Pipes in position, you then revolve the Clips to lock them on

Hopefully these Clips will lock the Fuel Pipes to the Tank but there is only one way to find out

I decided to leave the 'Tether' that I made attached to the Clips, as that way if one did fall out. then I might be able to retrieve it

To be Continued..............

Greg in France (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 02:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,079 Likes on 5,347 Posts

Great work OB. I did a search for CBC 8293 and found these, in case you need some spares!:
https://www.sngbarratt.com/uk/#!/Eng...4-fe0a4d917530
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Jaguar-...-/202236705084

orangeblossom (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 03:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Great work OB. I did a search for CBC 8293 and found these, in case you need some spares!:
https://www.sngbarratt.com/uk/#!/Eng...4-fe0a4d917530
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Jaguar-...-/202236705084
Hi Greg

Cheers!

Amazing! how did you find those!

I also did a search and came up with nothing!

Roger Simpson (12-16-2023)
Old 08-14-2018, 04:05 AM
Veteran Member

No bother. You did have the O rings in there, didn't you OB?

Old 08-14-2018, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
No bother. You did have the O rings in there, didn't you OB?
What 'O' rings do you mean Greg, there were 'O' Rings on the Fuel Pipe Fittings but are you talking about a separate 'O' Ring that you put in separately before you push the Fuel Pipe Fitting in?

If so, then the Answer is No,oooooooh! so no wonder the fitting came out!

Is there another 'O' ring in addition to whats on this fitting?

It's all coming back to me now and I'm thinking there was!

Would you happen to have a diagram that shows where it goes?

Old 08-14-2018, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

OB
I think the O rings are the ones you have on the fittings, so relax. I have no knowledge of facelifts, I just saw the JCP diagram (see 4 below) and there are only two, one per pipe, so all well

Old 08-14-2018, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Still should be renewed, as they might be perished/slightly cut. They will probably be generic rings. I never used the same O rings twice... Apart from one time, and then I was force to replace them because I didn't follow my own creedo then.

Old 08-14-2018, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Greg

Cheers! and Phew!

I may have dodged another bullet there but a mate of mine came over to day and offered to lay underneath the Car, while I started her up and then pull on the Fuel Pipes to make sure that everything was ok and not leaking

Nothing leaking and everything was ok for a while but then we had another sort of problem, for which I will do another Post and while I think I know what it is, I'd rather see if any comes to the same conclusion that I did

Or comes up with something different altogether

Old 08-17-2018, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member

Chapter 93

'Carmen' Won't Start!

Having got the Fuel Tank in complete with a New In-Tank Fuel Pump. 'Carmen' has decided that She doesn't want to Start and this is really bad news, because although I know a little bit about fixing my V12

My knowledge of trying to fix a 'Six' is nothing more than Zero and so to be quite honest I just don't know where to start or maybe I do, as 'Greg' suggested I cleaned the Plugs of the ECU

As apparently dirty plugs can be the cause of a 'No Start' Problem. which of course I'd love to do if only I could find it as its apparently hidden away underneath the Carpet on the Passenger Side (UK Car)

But I just can't see it for looking! Although I'm sure it must be there somewhere and so I start by taking out the mat that covers the mat that covers the mat that covers the Carpet, which looks in Showroom Condition and that is probably why

I'm now down to the metal floor, which is obviously showing Zero signs of rust, as myself and the previous owner, really looked after this Car but still there is no sign of the ECU

But hang on a 'mo' what's that bulge by the side of the door jamb?

And though it took some finding, I have found it! although it seems that I am only on the 'Nursery Slopes' as in order to get to it, I've somehow got to take out some leather trim, which is locked in place by the Finisher/Seal 'Thingy'

Which of course does not want to come out!

Life is never easy and this engineering excellence is already starting to make my head spin, so the next thing to do is to remove the emergency fuel pump cut-out, which is screwed to the leading edge of the front door pillar

Where once that is off and out of the way, I can carefully pull the leather trim piece out of the way and then once having done so can then pull back the side carpet, to reveal the ECU, which is very securely bolted to the side of the footwell

But before I undo the Bolts I have to take off the Plugs, which are locked onto the Sockets of the ECU with the customary spring loaded plastic tabs

Anyway an hour later or maybe it was two, I'm finally holding the ECU in my hot sticky hand and now all that I have to do is clean off any Corrosion that I may find on those plugs

Except its not as easy as it looks, mainly because there are 3 rows of 'tangs' which are a bit of a PIA to get into and clean, so this time two hours later, or maybe it was three! I really did the best I could to make them clean and shiny

But even after all that work and meticulous cleaning, I can't say I was really satisfied with the result, at which point I had an idea!

As I have got a gadget, which is a bit like a 'Dremel' that takes a small wire brush the same as a 'Dremel' does and so I very carefully gave that plug a thorough clean with that and it came up like new!

I knew that ECU was in there somewhere!

Once I'd got the Plugs off it was out with the ECU

Cleaning that Plug by hand took me an hour!

Same again for this one its quite a fiddly job

Even after all of that I wasn't satisfied with the result and so I gave it a careful clean with a rotary wire brush

After Cleaning up those Plugs I put the ECU back in the Car, then turned the key and guess what She still wouldn't Start!!

To be Continued.........

Old 08-18-2018, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Does she turn over? HAve you checked for the commons: - fuel, - sparks, - air

Is it an AJ16 or an AJ6? Does it have a dizzy (AJ6) or a little sensor/dial (AJ16) on the drivers side on top of the built in PAS pump area?

If it has the sensor, remove a COP (coil over plug) and crank. No spark? Check another cylinder for reference. Still no spark? Check for signals coming from the little sensor on the engine (round, with a little clear window in it). I have seen one, where the shaft inside had sheared off. You can unscrew and rotate that a little to see if you can do anything but as it is a digital ignition (the AJ16 version of the Marelli, just not made my Marelli) you won't be able to adjust the spark timing. But these units do like to fail sometimes.

If it is an AJ6, remove an HT lead, put an old sparkplug in it and hold it against the engine/chassis while someone turns the key. No spark? Check the dizzy or coil.

If there is a spark it will be fuel related. Check air flow meter plug (either MAF or temperature sensor etc., depending on what is fitted before the throttle body (between airfilter box and throttle body). Check throttle potentiometer. Also, try pressing the accelerator about half way in when starting. If a bad TPS is there, it may have no contact causing a "no start".

Will it run on a starter fluid? That would also eliminate the ignition system...

orangeblossom (08-18-2018)

Quick Reply: Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12