Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,749 Likes on 2,599 Posts

'The Ice Princess'

Trying To Remove The Rear Brake Bleed Nipple That Rounded Off

Bad Day At The Office (Part One)

During my last 3 years of ownership of an XJS V12 I'd already done a lot of the jobs I'd been scared to tackle before

Changed the Radiator

Installed a New Fan and Clutch

Fitted New Shock Absorber Bushes

Made Brake Pipes and Fitted New Calipers

And even changed the Spark Plugs

Where one of the things that I have learned is that it's often the smallest jobs that can easily spoil your day when they go wrong

Like when it took me nearly 2 days to try and remove the Top Nut from a Shock Absorber that the previous owner or the garage that did the job for him used Loctite

Or taking 3 Weeks to try and remove a Broken Caliper Bolt, which was a job that seemed to drag on forever until I bought an Impact Wrench which did the job in 5 minutes!

Then just when you start to think you've turned the Corner, another fiendish little job then presents itself

Where if its not Conquered, can then lead to a massive job (relatively speaking) like dropping the IRS Cage

The Job in question being to undo the Rear Brake Bleed Nipples, in order to Bleed the Brakes on 'The Ice Princess'

I mean I ask you how hard can it be!

The first one was quite stiff to undo but eventually came undone but as for the Second one it wasn't having any, where even using the right size spanner it rounded itself off and wouldn't budge!

So having mulled it over I thought I'd got it sussed!

Just Weld a Nut on the Bleed Nipple and then undo it from there

Looking on the face of it this was going to be an easy job, as after all I'd got a Mig Welder which was gifted to me by the GF's dad

As well as a motley collection of Tools that I'd accumulated when visiting Car Boot Sales and having thought the whole thing through, how could it possibly fail

So the first thing I did was to get a big nut to go over the 'rounded bleed nipple' and then drill a hole in the side

Drilling a hole in the side of a Nut to go over the 'rounded' Bleed Nipple

The idea was to slip the Nut over the 'rounded' Bleed Nipple and then once having done so Mig Weld it through the hole that I had drilled

Having gifted me a Welding Set when the GF's dad bought a New one, he taught me how to Weld and so I was quite confident that I could do this job

This was a Pro Welding Set costing a few hundred pounds, that came with a Euro Torch, Argon Gas and all the bits and pieces

Just what I've always wanted a Mig Welder!

MUREX 130 Mig Welder, with all the 'bells and whistles'

As I was planning to do a 'Spot Weld' through the hole that I'd drilled in the side of the Nut I put on a Special Forked Shield for doing the job

Forked Shield for Spot Welding

After fitting the 'Forked Gas Shield' I had a bit of a practice until I found the setting that felt right

Practice Spot Welds on the Left but the one on the Right was the one I wanted and even a Spot Weld much smaller than that would have been enough to do the Job

The 'Rounded off' Brake Bleed Nipple

Drilled Nut with the Hole in the side placed over the Brake Bleed Nipple already for 'Spot Welding'

There was hardly any room to move underneath the Car but even so I managed to the the Mig Torch all lined up to put a 'Spot Weld' in the Hole that I'd drilled in the side of the Nut

Though sadly and frustratingly this was not to be as it turned out that the Brake Nipple was made out of material that could not be Welded up! which apart from anything else meant a whole day wasted

Auto Darkening Welding Mask, how did I ever manage without one of these

All the Tools to do the Job and I used the Grinder to make sure I got a good earth and also cleaned up the Bleed Nipple with a Wire Brush

At which point everything went Wrong! as it turned out that the Bleed Nipple was made out of something that couldn't conduct electricity OMG!

No problem Striking an Arc on the Nut but not so with the Bleed Nipple that just didn't want to play!

At which point it was then onto Plan 'B' which was to drop the Rear Silencer and then try and undo the Brake Nipple with Mole Wrenches

Removing the Rear Silencer was 'The Job From Hell'

I really had a difficult job removing the Rear Silencer, as I couldn't get the 'U' Shaped Pipe to come out of the Cage and even though I was wearing Safety Glasses

I got so much dirt and crud in my eyes, that the dirt just kept falling on dirt!

Where even the Mole Wrench idea didn't work, as everything kept on springing and it wouldn't come undone

And so Tomorrow I am Planning to get out a long Chisel and try and gently tap it round with a FBH!

Although if that doesn't work then maybe I will have to drop the Cage, which I have never done before and do not look forward to doing

Which is how a tiny little job can turn into something major

Though I think I must blame the previous owners garage, as they seem to have erred on the side of Caution and probably did those Bleed Nipples up a bit too tight

The beat goes on...........

Last edited by orangeblossom; 05-23-2018 at 01:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Fla Steve (05-22-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member

'The Ice Princess'

Trying To Remove The Rear Brake Bleed Nipple That Rounded Off

Bad Day At The Office (Part Two)

As things were going 'Pear-shaped' I decided to walk away to think things through and then decided the only way to get that Bleed Nipple undone, was to use a Chisel with a FBH!

Thinking that some 'Shock Treatment' might shift it

So I started with some gentle taps with a Hammer and Chisel, which during the process of trying to get the Bleed Nipple to turn, then got progressively harder

But since it was so reluctant to turn I had to Tap it all the way to destruction, at which point the Bleed Nipple broke off, as I guessed that it would

Which unless anyone else can suggest a much better idea, will mean that I will have to then remove the IRS which looks like the job from Hell as well as being well out of my comfort zone

Although I will give it a go if I have to and while I am about it would also change the Rotors and the Calipers (which may be the most difficult part of the job)

Ironically the Rotors are in very good condition on this Car but while I've got the Cage out, if it comes to that then I think it would make sense to change them

But just before I get stuck in to the kind of job that could take me a long time to do, I would be interested in trying out any other ideas and suggestions that you may have

As you may see I was able to get a good hit on the side of the Bleed Nipple with a Chisel but it wouldn't budge and eventually Broke Off

Who would have thought such a tiny thing like a Brake Bleed Nipple could end up causing so many problems

What's left of the Broken Bleed Nipple

Old 06-02-2018, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member

Chapter 87

'Wizard Fix' For My Power Steering Leak!

The XJS is one of those Cars where in my view it always pays to do your Pre-Flight Checks

These Cars are getting old now and as wonderful as they are they can be a bit twitchy if you don't look after them, especially in the maintenance department

Where should you fail to lavish Her with all the care and attention that such a Car deserves then She will bite you on the backside when you least expect it

So the first thing I check is the Coolant and always make sure that the wing tank and the radiator are filled up to the max and to the point where they are overflowing

Not just every now and again but every time we go out for a trip, as if the needle on the Temperature gauge ever goes a hairs breadth past the Normal Mark

As 'Greg' not long mentioned, that is the seminal moment when the panic starts to set in, which in my case can then lead on to both paranoia as well as self harming (Lol)

Which then often necessitates a prayer to 'The Jaguar Gods' in the hope that they will get you back home in one piece

Where finding yourself in a traffic jam with the Temperature needle heading North, is not for the feint hearted

As its not long before you feel those beads of sweat start dripping off your forehead, as your sweaty palms cling tightly to the wheel

For though you may look ultra cool and calm and collected, on the inside you just feel as if you want to die

As all you can think about is that V12 engine overheating and the possibility of getting a dropped valve

And then you start to wonder how you'll overcome the shame in the event your XJS decides to break down now!

If this were a normal Car then you might decide to switch her off and let her cool but as this is an XJS she may decide that she wont start at all, or not at least until she's good and ready

So having checked the Coolant, I check on the Brake Fluid together with the level of the engine oil and then make sure that the injector hoses are not leaking

Not of course forgetting The Power Steering, where up until quite recently I had a bad leak, where fluid was dripping all over the floor of my Shop

And though I meant to fix it, I have always got myself a great big lot of other stuff to do and so that job has sat on the 'back burner'

Where until I got around to it, I would carry on topping it up at least for the time being but Not any more!

The reason being that just for a 'giggle' I tried out 'Grant's' (aka) 'The Wizard's suggestion that as I seem remember he threw out to me one day in the dim and distant past

Which was using Fully Synthetic Power Steering Fluid instead of the Semi Synthetic that I was using before, although to be honest, I couldn't see that it would make any difference!

Except I know not only that I don't know everything but when 'The Wizard' speaks! it pays to listen

So 4 Weeks ago I filled up the Power Steering Reservoir, with ATF Fully Synthetic and then waited to see what would happen

Where during the course of many trips out I am amazed to say that my Power Steering is no longer leaking!

No I don't know why either but 'The Wizard's Fix' is working in a way that I cannot believe, as for some strange reason, my Power Steering simply isn't leaking anymore!

Dry as a bone with not a drop Power Steering Fluid in sight

ATF-U Fully Synthetic Power Steering Fluid cured my Power Steering Leak!

After numerous Trips the Fully Synthetic Power Steering Fluid was right up to the mark, so well done to 'The Wizard' for that Awesome Tip!

Last edited by orangeblossom; 06-03-2018 at 05:37 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
Doug (06-02-2018), v1rok (06-02-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 668 Posts

Next time you're in traffic with the GF and worried about the needle climbing, why not just get the GF to crack the bonnet? Or would this spoil the mystique of the car? I did that recently after climbing a long, slow hill and the needle was getting closer to the high end of the normal range than I would like. Worked well.

The following 2 users liked this post by Some Day, Some Day:
Daim (06-27-2018), orangeblossom (06-03-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member

Chapter 87

'Cherry Blossom'

Sweet Smell Followed By A Massive Bang!

I think I dodged a bullet for at least just now, as all day long I've been smelling this very Sweet Smell, a little bit like rotting eggs except I've got no Cats

Where for some strange reason, I didn't think that it could be the Car, though with the benefit of hindsight of course I should checked

But on the way home from great day out, I head a massive Bang! that sounded like a shotgun going off, though this was almost certainly a Backfire!

Though as we were less that half a mile from 'Orange Blossom Towers' I thought that I would check it out when we got back to base

Where to my Shock Horror, I could see what looked like Petrol on the Stem of one of the Injectors

How the Car did not catch fire I will never know!

But what I need to know is how to fix it, as next time I might not be so lucky

No leaking from the Injector Pipes, as the leak appears to be coming from where the Injector goes into the Manifold

All of which have had New Sealing Rings, so maybe its the locking tab that hasn't been quite tightened down enough

Sticky Petrol Substance on the Fuel Rail

Petrol Leaking out of the Injector Stem

Although I've cleaned the Injector Stem with White Spirit, I haven't attempted to tighten anything up yet

Old 06-04-2018, 03:33 AM
Veteran Member

Chapter 87

Potential 'Marelli Fire' Brewing On 'Cherry Blossom'!

Although they say there's 'No Smoke Without Fire' thankfully there wasn't Yesterday but that massive 'Backfire' from the Exhaust was almost certainly caused by unburned fuel!

And while I haven't yet had time to have a proper look, including under the 'dizzy cap' a very quick inspection under the Bonnet/Hood provided some clues to that 'Sweet Sickly Smell'

First of all I haven't got 'Cats' on my 1990 (UK) Car which to me is very good news or She might have caught fire by now!

But there seemed to be a Bad Fuel leak on one of the Injectors where it enters the Inlet Manifold, even though I did fit 12 New Seals

Now while I'm not saying this caused the 'Backfire' it could have played a part in it somewhere

When I refitted the Injectors with 12 New Injectors Seals, I was very wary of not over tightening them, just in case I stripped a bolt out of its thread

So maybe the one that was leaking needs a little Tweak, although I am also planning to get another 12 New Injectors Seals to replace the New ones that I already put in

None of the rubber Injector Tubes were leaking (again good news!) but there was definitely a Fuel Leak round the Stem of this Injector

This was covered in Brown 'Goo' and almost certainly caused by the leaking Fuel 'Cooking' and lucky not to catch Fire!

When I wiped this 'Goo' off and then smelt the rag, it had that same 'Sweet Sickly Smell' that I had been smelling all day

So if you smell something similar, Stop the Car and check under the Bonnet/Hood before it is too late 'which I should have done but didn't do!

In conclusion that 'Sweet Sickly Smell' was caused by Fuel being 'Cooked' around the Stem of that leaking Injector Seal

But what of that 'Massive Backfire' from the Exhaust?

At the moment I don't know and while that leaking Injector Seal probably didn't help, I'll have to look under the 'dizzy cap' for signs of burning just in case its that

Leaking Fuel around that Injector Seal was almost certainly 'Cooking' and causing that 'Sweet Sickly Smell' that I had been smelling all day

Old 06-10-2018, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member

Chapter 87

Mystery Fuel Leak On 'Cherry Blossom'

This is a continuation of the Injector Fuel Leak problem which could have caused a Fire

Just to recap on what happened, the last time that we went out for a Trip in 'Cherry Blossom' my 1990 V12 XJS

All day long there was a very Sweet and Sickly Smell but as I had no idea what it was, I put it down to Farmers Spraying their Fields

Where for some strange reason, it never occurred to me to check under the Bonnet/Hood,
though when we got back to base that's what I did

And this is what I found, one of the Injectors was covered in a sort of sticky brown goo

Injector covered in Sticky Brown Goo but where did it come from?

On seeing this my reaction was to think I hadn't done the 2 bolts on the Injector Clamp up tight but when I checked them today I found they were

And I also cleaned the Goo off with 'White Spirit'

After I'd cleaned the Brown Goo off with White Spirit

But although we hadn't been Tripping since then, the Brown Goo had now started to come back!

This is what I found Today the Brown Goo had now started to come back

What the really strange thing was, is that the Goo is on the Top of the Injector Clamp Plate, where it appears to be dribbling down the Injector Stem

But there isn't any Fuel Leak from the Injector Rubber Feed Pipe on the Rail, the rubber pipe is bone dry all the way round

Unlike this next Component which is also on the Rail and is also covered in Brown Goo

This Component is also covered in Brown Goo and as such could be dripping down onto the Injector (see photo above)

This Component is also covered in Brown Goo and as such could be dripping down onto the Injector (even though I cleaned it off last week)

But what makes this more of a 'mystery' is that this is the 'Hot Start Fuel Switch' that is supposed to help enrich the Fuel during 'Hot Starting'

By adjusting the Vacuum on the FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator) and just in case you were wondering and even if you weren't

Where this Screws into the Fuel Rail, the Fuel Rail is Blanked OFF, so this is a Temperature Only sort of a device, that doesn't come into contact with any fuel

All it does is regulate the Vacuum to the FPR to enrich the Fuel for a Hot Start at a pre-determined Temperature

And although I have no idea what that is, I probably don't need to know that either!

But the Vacuum comes from the Manifold into this 'Hot Start Switch' and then from the 'Hot Start Switch' to the FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator)

Both these Vacuum Pipes are Sound without any Vacuum Leakage, so this is where I need a Second Opinion

As I am now thinking that its Not the Injector or the Seal that's leaking

Could there be a blockage in this 'Hot Start Vacuum Switch' ? as a loss of Vacuum in the FPR could make the Car run 'Rich' and explain that massive backfire

Or could it be a leaking FPR? where the Vacuum is drawing raw Fuel into the 'Hot Start Vacuum Switch'

Where it is then leaking where the Two Vacuum Pipes go into the 'Hot Start Vacuum Switch' and then trickling down onto the Injector which is below it

Then 'Cooks' this Fuel on the Inlet Manifold, which is then producing this 'Sweet Sickly Smell'

This could be where the Problem lies right here!

But is it a Blockage or a Leaking FPR?

Maybe its not the Injector that is leaking after all! as there could be a Blockage in the Fuel Enrichment 'Hot Start Switch' causing the Car to run 'Rich'

Or could it be a leaking Diaphragm in the FPR where the Vacuum is drawing Raw Fuel in to the Fuel Enrichment 'Hot Start Switch'

Which is then Leaking Fuel from a faulty FPR where the Two Vacuum Pipes go into the Switch and then dribbling down the Stem of the Injector where it then 'Cooks' on the Inlet Manifold (Producing that Smell)

I feel I'm 'Close But No Cigar' which is probably just as well, with all that leaking Petrol coming from somewhere

Any ideas?

Last edited by orangeblossom; 06-10-2018 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member

Chapter 87

Mystery Fuel Leak On 'Cherry Blossom'

I think I've found the Problem and it isn't looking good!

Having checked the Enrichment Valve which is used for Hot Starting and the Vacuum Tubes that go on it, everything was OK and nothing blocked up

So next I took the Clamp of the Injector where as before the Stem and the Top of the Clamp were covered in a Brown Sticky Substance

Which had a very Sweet and Sickly Smell 'which could have been Fuel Cooking on the Inlet Manifold'

But when I lifted the Clamp off the Injector, it looked as if the Injector had been leaking out of the Rim around the Top

I've never heard of this before and didn't even know that this was possible but it certainly looks like it from this Photo

I've never come across this before but can an Injector leak around the Top?

Old 06-13-2018, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member

Chapter 87

Another Wizard Fix!

The 'Wizard of Oz' knew what it was and Fixed it!

As it turned out it wasn't the Injector that was leaking after all but more a combination of two other problems turning into one!

When I pulled the Vacuum Tube off the FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator) the Vacuum Tube was dripping what looked like Petrol

This in turn was then being sucked into the Thermal Hot Start Switch. which I didn't know was filled with Wax

The Petrol then dissolved the Wax and turned it into Goo, which had a very Sweet and Sickly Smell

And then this Goo started dripping out of the Tubes of the Thermal Switch onto the Injector

Which then gave the impression that the Injector was leaking

Goo was formed by Petrol from a leaking FPR dissolving the Wax inside the Thermal Switch which then dripped down onto the Injector where it then 'Cooked' in the Heat from the Inlet Manifold

Petrol leaking from an FPR was dissolving the Wax inside this Thermal Switch which then dripped down onto the Injector and 'Cooked' in the Heat of the Inlet Manifold

The Fix

Went out and got a New FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator) fitted it on the Car and then took a Vacuum Tube from this Straight to the Inlet Manifold bypassing the Thermal Switch

Because the Thermal Switch now needs to be renewed, though having said that it never really gets hot enough in the UK to need to use it

Having got the Engine up to Temperature, there was no sign of any Goo leaking from anywhere

But just to make sure we went out for a Test Drive and 'Cherry Blossom' came back Smelling like Cherry Blossoms again, so all seems to now be OK

Paranoid or What!

In case She caught Fire I packed some Fire Extinguishers just in case

The Old FPR was leaking and dissolving the Wax inside the Thermal Switch

A New FPR was fitted which solved the problem of the leaking Fuel from turning the Wax inside the Thermal Switch into Sticky Goo

Even after a long Test drive the Injector arrived home Clean

Problem Solved Thanks to 'The Wizard'

Last edited by orangeblossom; 06-14-2018 at 02:35 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
Fla Steve (06-21-2018), Geewhite (03-26-2021), Greg in France (06-17-2018), jp72 (06-18-2018)
Old 06-16-2018, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member

Chapter 87

Getting 'Cherry Blossom' Ready For Her MOT Test

Where on Earth does the Time go! it only seems five minutes since I put 'Cherry Blossom' back on the road last year after a layup of some 15 Years!

But now it is that time of the Year again and 'Cherry Blossom' is due for her Mot Test next week, just as soon as they can fit her in

And I am planning to take her to an 'Old School' Garage that I found last year, where She passed her MOT with Flying Colors

Which is a bit of a retro throwback as they don't use digital 'Gizmos' like most modern Garages do but instead the same equipment that they have been using for years

Its quite a funky sort of place but since last year they have introduced new rules for the MOT test, where as a result it makes passing the Test a bit harder

And so in order to give 'Cherry 'B' the best possible chance of success, I am going through her with a 'fine tooth comb'

Where today, I jacked her up supported her on big blocks of wood and got right underneath her, where I started by cleaning everything down

Which was fairly easy, as this is a Car that I've really learned to look after and not so much a 'Big Boys Toy' but more one of the family that I have bonded with

So having first brushed any dust off and blown the rest away with my Compressor, the very next job on the list was to underseal her for which I use Wax Oyl

And this is a product that I have been using for years because it makes the underside of a Car look like New and gives a very pleasing Matt Black Finish

Only the best for my Baby (lol) but I got really covered in the stuff, although I have learned to accept that as a bit of Collateral damage

After which I removed the Wheels and Wax Oyled the Wheel Arches and Painted the Hub Carriers in a Stunning shade of Silver

By the time I'd finished She looked a Million Dollars, so what is not to love! and that was just the Underside of the Car

Which then just leaves the Front Wheel Arches for me to do Tomorrow before I get on to checking the mechanical side of things

Like making sure the Windscreen Wipers and the Washers work, as well as the side flashers and all of the lights

So whether She passes will now be down to the luck of 'The Jaguar Gods' as with these new MOT rules anything can happen

I was working on her right up to 8pm at which point we decided to take her for a Test drive just to dry that Wax Oyl off a bit

Though if you want an honest answer, we just felt like a night ride although it felt as if it was the middle of the day

As the big red Sun was starting to fall down the Horizon, as 'Cherry Blossom' Zoomed along, which felt just like a Magic Carpet ride

'Red Sky At Night Shepherds Delight' so hopefully another nice day Tomorrow!

The Wheels were to stand 'Cherry' on as they make a nice pair of Axle Stands

No I didn't miss a bit and went back to do that later

Looking Good and I painted the Hub Carriers Silver

So much Sun, it was hard to get a good photo but by the time I'd finished She looked Perfect!

Yass! That's what were talking about!

Another Shot of the Hub

Bet he drives an XJS!

'A Bath a Bath my Kingdom for a Bath!'

To be Continued.........

Last edited by orangeblossom; 06-16-2018 at 07:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
Geewhite (03-26-2021), Greg in France (06-17-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 02:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,088 Likes on 5,352 Posts

Alex
Great shots. By the way, did you take that "new" FPR off another car???

orangeblossom (06-17-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Alex
Great shots. By the way, did you take that "new" FPR off another car???
Hi Greg

No that's a New FPR, as I didn't want to risk the fault returning with the MOT coming up
and this morning when I Started her up

The Engine hardly had a chance to turn over!

The Ignition was so instantaneous, that it really took me by surprise!

Old 06-18-2018, 05:25 AM
Veteran Member

Chapter 87

Getting 'Cherry Blossom' Ready For Her MOT (Part 2)

Having Wax Oyled the Rear End and Checked for Rusty Brake Pipes that would have meant a Fail, all was OK and looking very good

As too were the Rear Wheel Arches and the Underbody which were also given the Wax Oyl Treatment

Where living in a Country that is known for the 'Rust Bug' I'm pleased to say I found no rust at all

But as the Sun was setting and there wasn't any rush, at that point I decided that I would leave the Front End until the following day

Where I'm pleased to say the Weather did not disappoint, as Sunday was a 'Scorcher' and would have been the Perfect day to go out for a 'Trip'

But with 'Cherry Blossoms' MOT Test due as soon as they could fit it in, 'Tripping' was out of the question at least for the moment

And so it was out with the Wax Oyl and onto the Front End!

Where the first job was to Jack her up under the Front Beam and then Support her on Two blocks of Timber while also leaving the Jack in place as an extra precaution

Jacked up and Supported on two big Timber Blocks

Having Jacked her up both Front Wheels were removed

Removing the Front Wheels

Once the Front Wheels were removed I used a paint brush to Wax Oyl the Front End, as I wanted to check it over just as Carefully as they do when doing an MOT Test

Everything looked good to me but then 'I would say that!' as with the New MOT Test rules its all in the lap of the Gods until you know what they are looking for

One of which is any bad leaks in the Power Steering, which could be very expensive and time consuming to fix and so I very carefully checked that over

'Cherry Blossom's Power Steering' used to leak quite a lot but following a 'Tip' from Grant aka 'The Wizard of Oz'

I changed the Power Steering Fluid to Fully Synthetic ATF and now I can't see any leaks at all apart from a very small coating on one of the Rubber Boots

Which from what I've been reading wouldn't be enough to fail her on but then it all depends how strictly they decide to apply the rules

Hardy any Oil to be seen so hopefully they'll be Ok with that

Hardly any drips of Oil but even so I'll give the Boot a Clean

Looking Good to me but then who knows

No Rust anywhere to be seen even before the Wax Oyl treatment

Good as Gold! lets just hope She passes the New MOT

All done and dusted from Stem to Stern so next I'll check all the Instruments are working

Last edited by orangeblossom; 06-18-2018 at 05:27 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member

Chapter 87

Getting 'Cherry Blossom' Ready For Her MOT Test

What Could Possibly Go Wrong!

Having gone right through her from one end to the other the only thing now left to Check were the instruments

And the one thing I did know without any doubt was that the Screen Wipers were working, as the Week before the MOT

We got caught in a Cloud Burst that came out of nowhere, if of course you discount the Sky!

It was raining both sides of the Windscreen and even with the Wipers going at Mach 3 it felt as though a Swimming Pool had suddenly been emptied over us

Where in case I forget to mention it we had the Soft Top down, which under the Circumstances was not the best idea I ever had

But just before the deluge soaked the pair of us, the Weather was just gorgeous and really hot and Sunny

Though since there was nowhere to pull off the road so we could put the roof up, the only thing to do was just keep going!

But thankfully the Cloud Burst was over almost as quickly as it began and so with the de-mister going at 'full chat' we soon dried off

So one less problem to worry about for the MOT and bizarrely the Windscreen Washers were also working as well

The lack of which has always been regarded as a certain MOT Fail as well as being one of those simple yet annoying problems to have to put right

After that I checked the Lights where to my amazement, even the Spotlights were working!

Which I've never had to use as I never take the Car out in the Fog and so as such those 'Super Troupers' always have their Covers on

So with a quick Blast of the Horn 'Cherry' was already for her MOT, which took place at the same place She was MOT'd before

I don't know how much difference the new rules may have made but 'Cherry Blossom' passed with Flying Colors

And once I had that piece of paper firmly held in my hot sticky hand, I then picked up the GF and then once having done so we went out for a drive

But not before we had to Stop for Petrol, where I encountered a phenomena that I have never come across before

And something that I've always avoided like the Plague, which was one of those dreaded 'Pay at the Pumps'

Which in comparison to a V12 seemed to make Changing the Spark Plugs feel like a 'Walk in the Park'

The instructions made my head spin so much that I gave up and even the 'Clever Clogs' GF was unable to Crack the Code!

So in the end we abandoned Ship and found another Garage where we could pay at the Kiosk

Not that we were running out of Petrol, as we had a half tank left, which was probably enough to get to the next lamp post

As these V12's do love a drop of Petrol

But thats all part and parcel of a really great day out!

And best of all She'd passed her MOT!

I managed to grab a couple of shots of 'Cherry' up on the ramp for her MOT Test

Steering Rack Not Leaking Now!

'What can't speak can't lie'

The Steering Rack was leaking pretty badly until I tried Grants 'Wizard Fix' and Changed the ATF to Fully Synthetic, where to my amazement the leaking suddenly stopped!

No I don't know why either but that is exactly what happened!

Changing to Fully Synthetic ATF Completely Stopped the Leak on Cherry's Power Steering!

Last edited by orangeblossom; 06-20-2018 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 668 Posts

"Flying Colors", OB? And you call yourself an Englishman....
All the self-serve places here are pay-at-the-pump, and each chain has a slightly different way of doing it. Annoying.
Anyway, congrats on the MOT pass.
I imagine it went something like this...?

The following 4 users liked this post by Some Day, Some Day:
Fla Steve (06-21-2018), Flint Ironstag (06-22-2018), Geewhite (03-26-2021), orangeblossom (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Someday

If I were Steven Spielberg I'd Sign You up right now

Those Graphics are Amazing!

'I've also updated the previous post with a couple of Pics of 'Cherry' taken from underneath the MOT ramp'

Some Day, Some Day (06-20-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 07:50 AM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts

I am fully enjoying going through your restoration of Cherry Blossom. Very fortunate for me that I also have a 90MY, plus my "parts car" is only 2 months older.

orangeblossom (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Steve

One of the Problems with these Cars (did I just say One!) is that 'its never over till its over' and with these Cars its never really over!

Until I bought an XJS I'd never picked up a Spanner but then its suddenly dawned on me that if I couldn't fix her myself, then I would have to pay an humongous sum of money for someone to do this for me

Which makes the vast amount of Petrol that these Cars can use, almost pale into insignificance in comparison, where in the UK it can easily cost Ł100+ to fill up the Tank with 5 Star 99 octane, that you can easily burn in a couple of days

As if not then I would say that you're not really trying!

At first I really hated the mechanical side of things and admit I used to find it a bit of a chore but one day the 'Magic Happened' and I bonded with the Car

So its no more a chore, I really love it! and spend as much time under the Car as I do driving her, which gives me a buzz like no other

But even so I cannot help but wonder what was going through the Previous owners mind, when he saw 'Cherry Blossom' in the Showroom, Factory Fresh and ready to go!

How could he resist her!

It could not be done and try and imagine the Conversation that took place between himself and the salesman

Maybe like me he was stunned into silence by the Jaw dropping beauty of such a wonderful car

Or maybe it was 'something' like that Scene out of 'The Driver' with Ryan O'neil

Where the Customer may have said:

'She looks really nice but does She go?'

Where if I had been that Salesman, then after a pause for dramatic effect, all I would have said was 'Get in the Car'

That kinda reminds me of the day that I went to buy 'Cherry' from the Previous Owner who had the most beautiful house that I have ever seen where 'Cherry' was parked outside in front of the Fountain 'like you do' looking absolutely drop dead gorgeous!

As for me it was a case of OMG! I am not leaving without her!

So after handing over the Cash, he dropped the Keys in the Palm of my hand and I 'Got in the Car' and off I went, with my heart singing with the sheer excitement of it all and that is still the feeling that 'Cherry Blossom' gives me every day!

Old 06-26-2018, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member

Chapter 87

'Cherry' Blossoms Engine Cooking Even When Switched Off!

With 'Cherry Blossom's' MOT having been completed, where She passed her Test with 'flying colors' I was helping the Inspector close the Bonnet/Hood, as the Engine had been running quite a while

And almost burnt my fingers on a Bonnet/Hood Strut where one of us was heard to say, 'Wow that Engines got so Hot, you could fry eggs on that'

Where for reasons that can't be explained, that thought just stayed with me as I made the journey Home, where I kept thinking to myself ' Yeah but could it really maybe do something like that'

There was only one way to find out, ably assisted by the GF who's legendary Cooking Skills have often left a lot to be desired, as was the case with a 'Mushroom Omelette' She made, which still haunts me to this very day!

How can you go wrong with something as simple as that! where the only ingredients are some eggs and some mushrooms, with a little Salt and Pepper added to your taste

For this I have to blame myself, where overtaken by a mood of reckless generosity, I bought her a 'Smoothie Maker' which were apparently 'Trending'

No I don't know why either! but at the time in question it was a Kitchen 'Gizmo' no self respecting Girl could do without and now at last She had one of her very own, She was experimenting by making 'Smoothies' out of everything in sight

Including this Mushroom Omelette, for which I urge you 'Don't Try This At Home'

Where you basically take four eggs, remove the Shells and put them in a Blender with some mushrooms and then once having 'blitzed' them, which I thinks the word She used, Cook the mixture in a Frying Pan on a low heat

That when done looked the Color of a Paving Stone and so unappetizing that it looked one of those meals that would be best eaten with a Blindfold on, though strangely enough it actually tasted delicious!

So with 'Cherry Blossoms' Engine still Hot from her very long and grueling MOT, the GF made some Tea and took two eggs, which She cracked into my makeshift pan with a magnetic base, which normally is used for holding Nuts

Take 2 eggs an XJS with the Engine switched off, put them in a Frying Pan and watch the magic happen!

What's better than a Barbecue on a Hot Summers day, than dining 'Al Fresco' outside on the Lawn
(though I don't even know what that means!)

Free Range Eggs a Frying Pan and an XJS, now tell me what could possibly go wrong!

Eggs over 'Esso' at our High Octane Restaurant (Don't try this at home!)

Does an XJS V12 Engine actually get Hot enough to Fry eggs on. there was only one way to find out!

Starting to color up nicely!

Eggstraordinary! those eggs are almost looking good enough to eat! well sort of anyway.....

Two Egg Sarnies on the Lawn, what more could you ask for on a Hot Summers day!

They actually tasted delicious!

So good that we had two more laying on the Inlet Manifold to keep them warm but then disaster Struck!

Do you want Flies with that!

No Fly Zone! maybe they just didn't like her Cooking!

Old 06-27-2018, 12:10 AM
Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

OB,

Do they broadcast “Mythbusters” TV show in U.K.?

Your post reminded me of that show I loved to watch.

I remember an episode where they tried to cook a Thanksgiving turkey while driving a car...(Not XJS though, as far as I can remember)

orangeblossom (06-27-2018)

Quick Reply: Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12