XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Coach line (pin stripe) for '88 XJ-S

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 03:47 PM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

Just came across this thread and figured I would chime in.

I have always been a fan of the huge thick (or thin twin) coachlines on the XJS models.

Although I don't own an XJS, I do own a newer model XJ in Astral Gold exterior paint -- I just purchased some OEM Coachlines from the Jaguar Classic Parts site. They are two-tone Gold and Copper that are for Series III models that I think would look equally nice on the XJ. I will be installing next spring. (see picture).

Also, a few years ago, I purchased a large set of OEM XJS coachlines from Jaguar Classic Parts that I had planned to install on a past sold XJS but never did. They are Flame Red / Pewter as per attached picture and all still brand new in their original boxes.

If anyone wants them they are yours for a reduced price + shipping -- PM me if interested.

The OEM parts numbers are:
BCC 4632 (qty: 4)
BCC 4633 (qty: 4)
BCC 4636 (qty: 4)
BCC 4637 (qty: 4)
BCC 4640 (qty: 4)
BCC 4642 (qty: 4)
BCC 4643 (qty: 4)

Attached Thumbnails Coach line (pin stripe) for '88 XJ-S-goldcopper.jpg   Coach line (pin stripe) for '88 XJ-S-jaguarboxes.jpg   Coach line (pin stripe) for '88 XJ-S-flameredxjs.jpg  

Last edited by BrownRobin; 12-15-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 374 Posts

If you all look in the 'sticky' section all will be revealed......has all the colour, trim and coachline colours for all markets.

Might be something to pull out at your shows..........simples

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...4&d=1297795797

or

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...3&d=1297795786

Michael, those part numbers don't come up. On the web page it has a whole different code. Mine has red/quicksilver lines.

http://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/uk...oof/coachlines

Last edited by malc4d; 12-16-2013 at 05:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Doug (12-16-2013)
Old 12-16-2013, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Originally Posted by malc4d
If you all look in the 'sticky' section all will be revealed......has all the colour, trim and coachline colours for all markets.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...4&d=1297795797

Very good!

For the record, VIN 139052 is the start of 1988 model year for USA market cars. Other Jaguar info considers 139052 to be 1987.5 model year for other markets

Cheers
DD

Old 12-16-2013, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by malc4d

Malc,

Thanks for that info, good find! Although it confirms that coach lines were available in the US from 87 to 91 and not available on facelift cars until MY95 & 96? (which is a new wrinkle)

I will try and locate the parts catalog for pre- 87 cars, perhaps that will have some answers

Old 12-16-2013, 09:31 PM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

malc4d,

The following link takes you to the Part Numbers for the Flame Red/ Pewter coachlines on the Jaguar Classic Parts website. I clicked on "Other Countries" and then located the XJS Sportspack model coachlines.

These are the one's labeled as Progressively replaced between (V)158046 and (V)163256.

Coachline Tape-Sportspack - Parts For XJS from (V)139052 to (V)179736 | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

Last edited by BrownRobin; 12-16-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

I don't have a horse in this race ... but in my opinion ... if a factory part number existed as an application for the vehicle then it should be allowable in judging.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plums
I don't have a horse in this race ... but in my opinion ... if a factory part number existed as an application for the vehicle then it should be allowable in judging.

Many agree with you...and I think you're all wrong :-) :-)

The idea is to show/preserve/restore the car as it was actually built, not how it might've been built if we could choose *any* combination of parts out of the catalog that apply to that model.

Cheers
DD

Old 12-16-2013, 11:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Many agree with you...and I think you're all wrong :-) :-)

The idea is to show/preserve/restore the car as it was actually built, not how it might've been built if we could choose *any* combination of parts out of the catalog that apply to that model.

Cheers
DD
Where's the fun in that?

If you insist, a refinement might be "as delivered to the first retail buyer" then.

Think Yenko Chevrolet.

Or go way back to classic coachbuilt RR. They didn't even have part numbers then. Whatever the customer wanted was what was delivered.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plums
Where's the fun in that?

If you insist, a refinement might be "as delivered to the first retail buyer" then.

That would work....if we leave out non-Jaguar add-ons. JCNA does allow dealer installed accessories (if they're out of the Official Jaguar Accessory catalog) and knick-knacks like badge bars.

Think Yenko Chevrolet.

In that case the standard would be how Yenko built the car. It would be tricky as Yenko (and Baldwin, Nickey, Shelby, etc) often used stuff from a variety of vendors. The Chevrolet end of things would be easy....it's all documented. The Yenko end, perhaps not so much....although the Yenko crowd has an awful lot of stuff nailed down. Those guys go nuts over details.

Or go way back to classic coachbuilt RR. They didn't even have part numbers then. Whatever the customer wanted was what was delivered.

Yes, that would be tricky....or, perhaps, very easy. If there's no documentation who's to say what's authentic and what isn't? But Jaguar wasn't into bespoke coachwork cars so we (try to) use the standard that applies to other mass produced cars: "as the factory built it".

Even that isn't so simple. How do we judge factory screw ups? Is that giant glob of drippy, exposed glue permissible because that's how it left that factory? Or is it a cleanliness/condition deduction? I judge 'em as "permissible" and make no deduction.

I could spend, oh, 15 or 20 hours on the subject

Cheers
DD

Old 12-17-2013, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

Yes, that would be tricky....or, perhaps, very easy. If there's no documentation who's to say what's authentic and what isn't? But Jaguar wasn't into bespoke coachwork cars so we (try to) use the standard that applies to other mass produced cars: "as the factory built it".
+1 on this. The rule does make sense and you do have to start somewhere to have a standard to judge to. The rules do allow for variation from standard but the onus is on the owner to prove the change happened at the factory. (build sheets etc.)

Even that isn't so simple. How do we judge factory screw ups? Is that giant glob of drippy, exposed glue permissible because that's how it left that factory? Or is it a cleanliness/condition deduction? I judge 'em as "permissible" and make no deduction.
And then there is the mystery of running changes that are made but not noted anywhere!!

In my case, at some point the factory must have decided to do away with the clutch damper, or perhaps they had run out of them during production? Anyway my car was delivered from the factory without said (useless I may add) damper. Slightly different hydraulic line plumbing and brackets were installed and they are very obviously 'factory' but there is no mention of this change in any parts catalogs or documentation that I can find anywhere. Just another of the charming mysteries we love about Jags

Old 12-17-2013, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AllanG
The rules do allow for variation from standard but the onus is on the owner to prove the change happened at the factory. (build sheets etc.)

Which is something that has always bothered me a bit.

In essence, the judge can give the entrant a deduction at will.... and needn't prove that he right. Instead, the burden is placed on the entrant to prove that the judge is wrong.

In actual practice, though, this is seldom an issue. The majority of judges (near as I can tell) are like me: they don't give an authenticity/correctness deduction unless they are standing on *very* firm ground.

Cheers
DD