XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Cooling fan rubbing after repairing transmission mount.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 09:24 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Cooling fan rubbing after repairing transmission mount.

Cooling fan rubbing after repairing transmission mount.

If you followed my other thread you know I was working on my transmission which required me to drop the pan and this lead to me pulling the transmission mount and replacing the damaged parts.

Now my fan is rubbing on the housing when I put the car in drive. I have looked at the trans mount and believe I have it installed correctly, but maybe I missed something.

My other thought is when I was dropping the pan and removing the trans mount I may have damaged a motor mount which is allowing the engine to move when in drive thus causing the fan to rub.

Eventually the fan just stopped spinning so I was thinking I needed a new fan clutch so I removed the fan assembly. It turns out the the clutch feels good, but I understand they are difficult to diagnose.

Any ideas???

Old 08-13-2012, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,079 Likes on 5,347 Posts

Is it a V12?

If not ignore the following guesses:

It is quite hard to ruin the front motor mounts. If the rubbers do become detached from their plates, the engine is all over the place.

Assuming the gearbox mounts are correctly installed, it is more likely that the replacing of the gearbox spring and mounting has changed the forward/aft tilt of the engine; or that when doing the gearbox repair the fan moved the fan shroud on its mountings by fouling against it, unknown to you.

There are four (I think, two top two bottom, but maybe six) small 7/16th nuts to undo to loosen the fan shroud (two/three top two/three bottom). Try doing this and centering it on the (I presume) mechanical fan. Then see if it still fouls in drive. Also get someone else the start the engine and engage drive, while you look at what is happening.

Greg

Last edited by Greg in France; 08-13-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:36 PM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Is it a V12?

If not ignore the following guesses:

It is quite hard to ruin the front motor mounts. If the rubbers do become detached from their plates, the engine is all over the place.

Assuming the gearbox mounts are correctly installed, it is more likely that the replacing of the gearbox spring and mounting has changed the forward/aft tilt of the engine; or that when doing the gearbox repair the fan moved the fan shroud on its mountings by fouling against it, unknown to you.

There are four (I think, two top two bottom, but maybe six) small 7/16th nuts to undo to loosen the fan shroud (two/three top two/three bottom). Try doing this and centering it on the (I presume) mechanical fan. Then see if it still fouls in drive. Also get someone else the start the engine and engage drive, while you look at what is happening.

Greg
Thanks Greg this sounds feasible. I didn't realize that the shroud had any play in the fitment of it, but I should have guessed it being a British car. Everything with these things seems to have none exacting tolerances LOL! So many things could have been so much easier if they had just put some thought into it during tea time or something over there.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,079 Likes on 5,347 Posts

Originally Posted by wrightbenz
Thanks Greg this sounds feasible. I didn't realize that the shroud had any play in the fitment of it, but I should have guessed it being a British car. Everything with these things seems to have none exacting tolerances LOL! So many things could have been so much easier if they had just put some thought into it during tea time or something over there.
I think you will find the fan shroud is mounted via rubber 'cotton reels' to stop it vibrating. Also that the steel mountings themselves are easily bendable if stressed. So it might not be only the normal British diseases!

Greg