XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Electric antenna snapped off

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 03:46 PM
Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Electric antenna snapped off

I'm such an idiot, I didn't have the garage door raised all the way & my antenna extends with the ignition being on!

Is replacement of these similar to other cars? I.e unscrew top nut, remove antenna + nylon cord, allow new antenna to feed in? Do the antenna kits available everywhere come with all the bits?

It snapped right at the base and there is a piece stuck in the bottom which I will have to remove.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 806 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by Asdrewq

Is replacement of these similar to other cars? I.e unscrew top nut, remove antenna + nylon cord, allow new antenna to feed in?
Yes, it's a standard Hirschmann unit and they sell just the aerial and nylon cord. My wife did the same to mine, and was able to replace it.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:14 PM
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

I got mine off Amazon, and cheap.
...Jimmy

Old 04-11-2016, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Mac Allan
Yes, it's a standard Hirschmann unit and they sell just the aerial and nylon cord. My wife did the same to mine, and was able to replace it.
Wow, I' ve always been under the impression that after market antenas were in a different category from the OEM ones. For one thing, all of the after market antennas that I have come across have a much faster travel than the slow moving stock units, and even more so Jaguar stock units. Plus, whenever I have attempted to buy an OEM antenna, it has been one heck of a lot more expensive than the after market replacement and the unit, itself, physically quite different, as in more bulky and heavier. But I do know that there are replacements out there at a fraction of the cost of the real thing that will work just fine, in spite of the physical and operational differences. I know this because a few years back I had to do such on my old '77 XJ12 precisely because the OEM antenna was ridiculously expensive. Needless to mention, I'm always concerned about breaking my XJS OEM antenna with the trunk lid mounted spoiler (funny way that Jaguar designed it) and without having that special module that plays "nanny" for you so you can't move the trunk lid if the radio is ON. BTW, I have previously received dealer quotes for a replacement spoiler at $12,000 because (so they say) it comes with that special "antenna protection" electronic module. That is a lot of money just to protect the antenna, is the latter that expensive to justify it?

Cheers,

Old 04-11-2016, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Originally Posted by Asdrewq
I'm such an idiot, I didn't have the garage door raised all the way & my antenna extends with the ignition being on!

Is replacement of these similar to other cars? I.e unscrew top nut, remove antenna + nylon cord, allow new antenna to feed in? Do the antenna kits available everywhere come with all the bits?

It snapped right at the base and there is a piece stuck in the bottom which I will have to remove.
Hi

This could be what you are looking for.

I have had dealings with these guys before and simply wouldn't hesitate to order from them in the future.

GENUINE Jaguar XJS XJ-S Aerial Antenna Ariel Mast | eBay

Old 04-11-2016, 09:43 PM
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Old 04-12-2016, 01:57 AM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

Just ordered a replacement aerial (antenna) for my 93 XJS and found this information that suggests later models had different make:
Some had 4 section aerial others had 5 section (also two different manufacturers)
Just typed XJS aerial into eBay

"This is a GENUINE brand new replacement aerial antenna mast (telescope) for Jaguar XJS, XJSC, Coupe Cabriolet, Cabrio and Convertible models produced up to 1993 fitted with the Hirschmann 6000 EL, KE and KE-F series electric aerial (power antenna) as original equipment. The aerial is easily identified from outside the car as the tip is mushroom shaped. This quality aerial was fitted by Jaguar as original equipment at the factory, and this GENUINE Hirschmann mast is all chrome and has the stylised Hirschmann “h04” on the mushroom shaped aerial tip is the correct Jaguar approved replacement mast. It includes the retaining ferule and drive cable. If is the same as Jaguar supply but in a Hirschmann box.
This is a genuine Hirschmann mast, manufactured in Europe, by Hirschmann of Germany, as supplied to Jaguar as original equipment under their part number DBC2200. It is made from quality chromium-plated brass and is not a cheaper copy made in China using chromium plated steel which is widely available. Most if not all Jaguar masts advertised on ebay will be copies made in China, and of inferior quality. They would not last as long, operate as well, or meet Jaguar quality standards.
If you are a discerning Jaguar owner/driver that will keep your car for some years, fit what satisfies Jaguar quality standards and not what is an inferior copy manufactured in China. The cheaper copy may fit, but the finish, standard of plating, long term smooth operation and resistance to corrosion are not as good as the genuine Hirschmann product, which is precision engineered to give many years of service and to ensure optimum radio reception.
Fitting instructions are supplied and it can normally be fitted in a few minutes from outside the car without dismantling the aerial or trim. Ideally a 12 and 13 mm open ended, or adjustable spanner is all that is required.

We do a comprehensive range of complete aerials, replacement telescopes/masts, grommets and spare parts for aerials fitted both Jaguars and other cars. If your model, especially on older cars is not covered in this or our other listings, please e-mail us at enigma57@gmail.com with full details of vehicle model, age and aerial make etc.

We can also supply, at additional cost the rubber grommet or wing fitting. Please see our other listing for this.

If paid by PayPal despatch is normally the same day, or following daydepending on the time your payment is confirmed.
"

Last edited by Paul_59; 04-12-2016 at 02:28 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:15 AM
Received 201 Likes on 132 Posts

I had that very job to do on mine
I couldn't get the nylon to feed in without taking the aerial out and dismantling it, possibly my incompetence but it wasn't a nightmare job.be careful of the grommet.
if it is old it may be brittle and split. mine was and did.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:45 PM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi

I have had dealings with these guys before and simply wouldn't hesitate to order from them in the future.

Agreed bought off same supplier, delivered less than 24 hours after placing the order

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (04-14-2016)
Old 04-14-2016, 07:35 AM
Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi

I have also had very good service from this chap when I replaced the whole aerial. Also supplied good advice over the phone on how to fit.

LeP