XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Enabling seat heaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 09:47 AM
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Enabling seat heaters

Couple of questions on seat heaters:. I know on some XJS, seat heaters were an option.
If so, what would it take to enable or install them.
Are the seats all the same as in all fitted with the heaters within them? (I'm sure I could take the seats out and figure out if that is the case. Maybe a plug is visible underneath)
Are the cars pre-wired for the option?
Just need to add the controls and fuses?

I would think all the cars are pre-wired for every option. Only if ordered do they install the controls and power circuit. Not sure if this is the same case.

If anybody knows or may have enabled or retrofitted theirs.

Thanks

Old 01-09-2018, 10:04 AM
Received 322 Likes on 228 Posts

I think they came as standard equipment on '88 and up model years.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by BradsCat
I think they came as standard equipment on '88 and up model years.
Apparently they didn't as mine doesn't have it and the spec sheet says optional.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My semi facelift is not fully pre wired as was thinking to retro fit heated seats. Neither are the pads fitted into seats as standard, and the lower pad is not available new, upper ones are. You would need to buy second hand seats with pads to get lower ones and you also need a heated seat module, that goes next to seat module, and then the wiring to the door switch, I think. The door switches tend to come with heated seat and lumbar buttons and not just heated seat. Sum up I decided it was too much hassle ��.
Maybe easier to fit after market heaters.
Hope that’s helpful, Tony

Old 01-09-2018, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Tonyj
My semi facelift is not fully pre wired as was thinking to retro fit heated seats. Neither are the pads fitted into seats as standard, and the lower pad is not available new, upper ones are. You would need to buy second hand seats with pads to get lower ones and you also need a heated seat module, that goes next to seat module, and then the wiring to the door switch, I think. The door switches tend to come with heated seat and lumbar buttons and not just heated seat. Sum up I decided it was too much hassle ��.
Maybe easier to fit after market heaters.
Hope that’s helpful, Tony
Yes, helpful. I really thought they would have had all the seats made the same for easy option installations. Too bad the seat doesn't have the heating pads. Wonder if some aftermarket or common heated seat pads removed from old seats could be used. Say BMW or Audi. I'm just kicking tires in asking about this and it does seem more trouble than it's worth. If the bulk of the parts and pre-wiring were already done, I wouldn't mind going the rest of of way to get the switches and controller to make it all play.
I don't even know why I would be interested in it as I wouldn't be driving it in the snow or winter so no real need for it however, the fact that it is not equipped with it bothers me more than knowing I really don't need it. Is that dumb?

Last edited by carsnplanes; 01-09-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Felt the same way until I looked into it.
I retro fitted cruise control with the micro switches, module, vacuum pump, etc and wiring, then power jet washers but decided it’s too much hassle, if at all possible, to fit heated seats. Door wiring and heater module are very hard to find.
Came to the same conclusion as you - will I ever use the car in such cold weather to make it worth it? No ��
But then you raise the question and my minds goes ‘hmmm would be nice to have as my x type has’ ��.
Must stop reading this forum as it leads me astray ��.
Tony

Old 01-10-2018, 03:20 PM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

My 96 XJS does not have a switch for seat heaters either. This was one of the last batch or two made so I was thinking they began running low on parts or switches. I'm trying to figure out if I have rear fog lights. The switch is there on the console but once pressed it does not light up on the dash. I was thinking replacing the relay (right next to the fuel pump relay I replaced last month) but not sure if the car even has the rear fog light set up. Anyone know if rear fog lights were standard? Original window sticker does not mention either heated seats or rear fog lights.... does mention heated mirrors though.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by El Gato
My 96 XJS does not have a switch for seat heaters either. This was one of the last batch or two made so I was thinking they began running low on parts or switches. I'm trying to figure out if I have rear fog lights. The switch is there on the console but once pressed it does not light up on the dash. I was thinking replacing the relay (right next to the fuel pump relay I replaced last month) but not sure if the car even has the rear fog light set up. Anyone know if rear fog lights were standard? Original window sticker does not mention either heated seats or rear fog lights.... does mention heated mirrors though.
Do a light check for the rear fogs.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by carsnplanes
Do a light check for the rear fogs.
I think you mean did I check the switch with the key in II position and headlights on - yes I did. did not look any different in the rear. Car was not running though.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Aftermarket seat heater pads work well as a new installation or to replace burned-out pads on cars originally equipped.

For a few years heated seats were standard in the XJS...at least in the USA....starting with 1988 MY. Later they were part of the optional "Cold Weather Package"

Cheers
DD

Old 01-10-2018, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 434 Likes on 377 Posts

Are you guys sure about the seat heaters. The switch is on the door next to the lumbar support switches. Rear fogs (on the trunk) only work with the headlights and I believe the ignition on.

Last edited by malc4d; 01-10-2018 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by malc4d
Are you guys sure about the seat heaters. The switch is on the door next to the lumbar support switches. Rear fogs (on the trunk) only work with the headlights and I believe the ignition on.

l can only speak for 1989 MY. Seat heater and lumber switch is on side of console and seat movement is manual. I think they went to door along with electric seat movement.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:06 AM

That is exacty the switch panel on the door as pictured, but even though the "button" is there, there is no label on it and the button does not push in or activate. It's a dummy button for where the real switch would be. I am curious if the switch panel or even the door harness is even wired. And like we all say, most would not even be driving in winter with these cars so why are we racking our brains about it... becuse we can, and inquiring minds want to know , maybe on some engineering or commercial level, if Jaguar does any pre-wiring for options, etc..and how hard would it be to do it ourselves. I'm gald I'm in the company of other nutty enthusiasts.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by El Gato
I think you mean did I check the switch with the key in II position and headlights on - yes I did. did not look any different in the rear. Car was not running though.
My 95 has the rear fog light switch on the instr panel next to the rear window defogger switch. It has its own indicator light when you push it in. I don't have any other warning light that it is on in the warning light bar under the cluster brow where the turn indicators and high beans would be. The only indication is when you activate it or push it in. To test, I went to the rear and sure enough the left brake light was on by itself, or at least I think it was one of the brake lights, (It could have been a separate brighter light). The point is it did work.
Is your switch lighting up when you push it to tturn it on?

Old 01-11-2018, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member

HERE IS A PIC OF THE REAR LIGHTS.

Outer light are the indicators (not seen here), brake/rear lights, seen on here,reversing lights (not on)then come the rear fogs, On. The lights between the fogs and number plate/tag are dummy lights to fill in for the smaller plate on USA cars. Seen without on UK car

I find it very hard to believe that Jaguar didn't fit heated seats to the USA market Facelift cars ('91-'92 on ). Are you sure the switch isn't just stuck as most prob. never used ?

Last edited by malc4d; 01-11-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:19 AM

HERE IS A PIC OF THE REAR LIGHTS.

Outer light are the indicators (not seen here), brake/rear lights, seen on here,reversing lights (not on)then come the rear fogs, On. The lights between the fogs and number plate/tag are dummy lights to fill in for the smaller plate on USA cars. Seen without on UK car

I find it very hard to believe that Jaguar didn't fit heated seats to the USA market Facelift cars ('91-'92 on ). Are you sure the switch isn't just stuck as most prob. never used ?
You mentioned "then come the rear fogs". I thought the rear "fogs" was actually just one bright red light on the left, not any more than that. Is it a separate bright light or is it actually turning on one of the brake lights on the side? You show four lights on. Which of the four shown on are you considering the "Fogs".

For the seat heaters, I thought I was pressing pretty hard on the button but I can't say for sure it it felt like it was stuck. Will keep looking into it.

Last edited by carsnplanes; 01-11-2018 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:01 AM
Received 465 Likes on 267 Posts

There is plenty of aftermarket options for this, eg check ebay item number: 272360503658, even with a nice switch or you can use an XJS one.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member

This clear enough 4 Ya

Old 01-11-2018, 03:38 PM

Here is my drivers side 96 XJS. No seat heater button. Would be nice to know if the seats are wired/outfitted with heaters - will need to look at those more closely

Rear fogs do come on if car is started and head lamps turned on (switch light on console properly lit and I get the indicator light when activated on the dash). I've owned the car for 9 years and never knew those rear fogs were there....I'm a quick study .... But I had actually never considered or heard of rear fog lamps before I got my F type and it is so equipped.

But I generally don't drive this car at night or anytime except sunny days.

Attached Thumbnails Enabling seat heaters-dscn1162.jpg  
Old 01-11-2018, 04:48 PM

This clear enough 4 Ya

VERY! Thanks!!
I didn't realize there were two rear fogs! I've only seen one bright red light on most Euro cars so as not to be confused with brake lights.

Last edited by carsnplanes; 01-11-2018 at 04:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Enabling seat heaters