XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Euro Headlight Conversion Q's

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 04:52 PM
Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Euro Headlight Conversion Q's

Hello,

Right, wrong or indifferent, I've decided that I like the Euro lamps better than our NA quads, so I want to convert my '85. It's been a while since I've had one apart so I wanted to verify what is required to convert the same, aside from the units and trims?

On that note, are the wiper / washer assemblies out there still or not so much and are all the cars fitted with the brackets to fit the motors, or will I need to fab something?

I want to be able to convert back some day, so any advice on permanent (possible) damage by doing this (or avoidance) is appreciated.

Thanks all.

Jeff

Last edited by Broken_Spanners; 11-07-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Broken_Spanners
Hello,

Right, wrong or indifferent, I've decided that I like the Euro lamps better than our NA quads, so I want to convert my '85. It's been a while since I've had one apart so I wanted to verify what is required to convert the same, aside from the units and trims?

On that note, are the wiper / washer assemblies out there still or not so much and are all the cars fitted with the brackets to fit the motors, or will I need to fab something?

I want to be able to convert back some day, so any advice on permanent (possible) damage by doing this (or avoidance) is appreciated.

Thanks all.

Jeff
ok there are two types of the non quad head lights...
there is the American version and the E2 euro version...

they are different

the euro e2 are deeper I think and the American version is not a deep...

the beam patterns are different also
I have a 92 w American version and they have a line blob for low beam...
I believe the E2 has a E2 pattern which should be a nice horizontal cut off until the center and a triangular upward slope that goes toward the passenger side...

funny how you can find people selling the American Ver at so high a price...

Old 11-07-2014, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 434 Likes on 377 Posts

I think you will need pre '91-2 facelift lights. UK light will 'dip', on low beam, into the traffic, not away, So you really need USA, Europe or any other LHD lights.

Or stick with the quads....much better anyway.

Old 11-08-2014, 01:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,092 Likes on 5,355 Posts

Originally Posted by Broken_Spanners

The headlight wipers and their motors just bolt on, and I would be surprised if the loom plugs were not there somewhere too. Loads available in the UK, at least. Finding the correct dipping lights will be a big problem, unless there are some in the USA. They are NLA and, this side of the Atlantic at least, it will require someone to sell you a cherished set they have stored away.

Greg

Old 11-08-2014, 04:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

I'm forced to convert to quads because there are basically no lhd lights in Europe... And if, they cost around €600/piece...

Worst thing is: I've got the headlight Wassers and dont want to miss them

Last edited by Daim; 11-08-2014 at 04:44 AM.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:49 AM
Received 92 Likes on 55 Posts

US-UK-EU aside...

most of the work is simply removal of bolts and screws holding in the bezels, the lights and the supporting brackets.
then the single units slot in... using their own brackets bolted to the body.

nothing permanent must be changed or added... the brackets for the single units bolt into different holes than the quad units, but the holes are there, no drilling required.

the only semi-permanent change is the wiring harness. these are not plug and play between the different styles. the single unit has a multi-pin connector. my '91's quads had individual connectors on the lights themselves.

make sure the car-side connector for the lights comes with your new set. i (and others) have simply cut the car-side wires, and connected the free wires to the car-side connector that came with my lights. its fairly straight forward in matching colors.

there is a superfluous wire leading to a small parking light bulb inside the large single unit. you can splice this into the parking light wire that illuminates the orange lights in the bumper, or as i did, just leave it alone.

those wiring changes are the only "semi-permanent" changes that must be made. and likely simple to change back to the original connectors.

its kind of tight quarters in there, but fairly straightforward.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:01 AM
Received 496 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Daim
I'm forced to convert to quads because there are basically no lhd lights in Europe... And if, they cost around €600/piece...

Worst thing is: I've got the headlight Wassers and dont want to miss them
i might have some spare brackets for the headlight washers/wipers ,

pm me if interested , i may have some of the Euro looms as well, that will plug in to replace the final Quad loom connection

there are some Euro style headlight bezels on ebay in black for around £60 uk , they have the wiper holes for the arms ( no affiliation to the seller )

BB

Old 11-08-2014, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

I HAVE EU headlights (UK) - aka Cibies. But in order to register her here, I've got to buy the US style quad lights, ditch my headlight wipers (all my cars have them!) and then lose some style...

Old 11-08-2014, 12:20 PM
Received 496 Likes on 315 Posts

right

got you ,

can't you ' borrow ' a set from someone to get her registered,

plug and play , you just need LHD units ( as you know )

and then hold out for a set in Europe somewhere,
they pop up quite often in the UK on ebay for LHD cars

BB

ps, i can also send you a pintel cap ( on an injector if you need )

The following users liked this post:
Daim (11-08-2014)
Old 11-08-2014, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

I'd love to, but everyone I know here with XJ-S/XJS' have quads... So I'll buy some quads, remove the wipers (and pump) and fit the quads and keep the wipers and bezels...

Old 11-08-2014, 11:27 PM
Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Thanks all appreciate the help. I don't really drive the car at night, so.... Hmmm, wrong dipping... ;-)

Jeff

Old 11-11-2014, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

her is mine, outside are hiway driving lights HID, inside are projector beams.

works for me! dip is all four at once.

Attached Thumbnails Euro Headlight Conversion Q's-jag-strips-10-22-2012-002.jpg  
Old 11-12-2014, 12:22 AM
P.L
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Daim,
You might want to consider European style (oval) XJ-S US-headlight. The lenses of these headlights are made of glass and come with the "E" sign. Not like the ones used for the XJS.
However, they will not have the asymmetric beam required for Germany.

There might be a solution though. To quote my TüV guy: "The symmetric beam provided by the US-headlight will not disturb other cars (compared to RHD-headlight). They are good enough to get the car though the TüV test. Though an entry about this exception is needed in the car's papers."

Have a word with your TüV guys, maybe they are equally perceptive...

Old 11-12-2014, 04:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by P.L
Hi Daim,
You might want to consider European style (oval) XJ-S US-headlight. The lenses of these headlights are made of glass and come with the "E" sign. Not like the ones used for the XJS.
However, they will not have the asymmetric beam required for Germany.

There might be a solution though. To quote my TüV guy: "The symmetric beam provided by the US-headlight will not disturb other cars (compared to RHD-headlight). They are good enough to get the car though the TüV test. Though an entry about this exception is needed in the car's papers."

Have a word with your TüV guys, maybe they are equally perceptive...
That is exact what I am trying to buy but people arent selling