XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Fuel line and fuel drainage.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 11:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel line and fuel drainage.

Hello all,
Young John and I now have his lovely "89" XJ-S V12 here.
It does crank and did start and run.
We want to start changing and cleaning fluids.
"waiting on CD-Rom"
Oh, and I'm pretty savey as a backyard mech.
I need to disconnect the extremes of the fuel lines, and other items associated with fuel to clean and flush.
Should I wait for the manual or can I find the required info here or gleen it from the experienced people of this nice forum?

TIA
Peace
Neil

Old 05-25-2011, 01:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

In the engine bay the fuel supply line goes to the right hand fuel rail. At the other end it goes to the fuel filter and fuel pump....behind the spare tire.

Some (coupes only, I think) also have a separate fuel sump tank that supplies the fuel pump. It has it's own internal screen.

The sump tank is gravity fed from the main tank so before doing anything to open the sump tank make sure to block flow (or disconnect and plug the hose) from the main tank or you'll have a flood on your hands.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-25-2011, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

TAKE THE CARPET OUT OF THE BACK OF THE CAR. it will smell like gasoline forever if not.

basically what doug here said. Track down the fuel line from the fuel rail and take out the back tire and all the carpet and panels. To get to the primary filter that is in a little tank you have to remove the battery and tray if i remember right.

The secondary filter (the regular one ) is just mounted next to the tank like behind the spare tire. To remove the fuel gauge just take a screwdriver and tap it, it spins out.

My car sat since '97 and i only cleaned the tank and the only problems i have had with it are before the fuel lines (filter and pump) but if you are willing it is a good idea to flush the lines i guess.
I don't remember if they used ethanol yet back then so yours good be as bad or worse. Ethanol turns to jelly after a while.

anyways..like i said the lines are easy enough to track down, just back up from the fuel rail till you find a line you can disconnect, and once all the stuff is out of the back of the car its pretty straightforward. Btw the fuel pump is in a little holder to the bottom left of the battery.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

here i hope this is of some use.
Also...this is kind of like a wiring diagram, the "fuel cooler" is actually on the left intake manifold, not near the firewall like the picture suggests and it almost looks like the lines going to the fuel rail are flipped over or something. I could be wrong i haven't paid much attention to it before. This also maybe due to the fact this is for the "P" fuel system, i don't know how it differs from the D jetronic like on my '88 but the diagram should give you an idea of how the system is laid out. (there was no diagram in the d jetronic section)

Sorry you have to friggin click them, for some reason i couldn't get Photobucket working so i had to use imageshack...i may fix tomorrow. Also sorry they aren't big so you can zoom, im on dialup so i can't upload big files.

Last edited by sidescrollin; 05-26-2011 at 12:45 AM.