XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

gaining more interior light

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 892 Posts
Default gaining more interior light

Hello All.

This is a random question and I couldn't find much or exactly what I was looking for in a search. But I was wondering what innovative steps people have taken to increase or to make more light available for the having in the cabin? Interior lighting additions and alternatives....

Yes,,, the dash and instrument cluster are dim for my liking, I think I maybe able to solve some of those with new bulbs and LED's. But lighting over all in the interior and cabin, I can tell, is something I know I'm going to want once I am driving her more.

Thanks for all advice, guidance and suggestions, in advance.

Last edited by JayJagJay; 06-10-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

There is SO much out there nowadays your choices are almost endless. You can go from mild to wild.

On my car I simply replaced the cabin lights (and trunk light) with LED bulbs and got all the improvement I was seeking....for $15 and 10 minutes of time.

I'm sure others who have taken more elaborate measures will chime in

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
JayJagJay (06-10-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Doug - since I have ya...

Question. I've replaced (on a whim) the licence plate lights with LED's looooong before I even drove her. Since and always I have had the dash light on telling me there are bulb problems. I imagine from those little sensors in the boot mounted just over the L and R tail lamps are sensitive to the change in voltage? COuld that be my problem? They are 3 prongs, small little things. You know what I mean?

And,,, thanks for the reply about interior lighting. I figure why start inventing when someone might have come up with the perfect. GooodNess knows I have enough onmy plate 3 cars,,,, in NYC no less,,,, how did this happen, lol? Thats rhetorical...

Old 06-10-2018, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 375 Posts

I replaced the sun visor in my 1992 with the later version with built in lights.

Last edited by malc4d; 06-10-2018 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

Does that mean you have the ability to turn them on at will to help with interior lighting, broadly? Like upon opening doors, or with a switch? Or are they mostly for makeup checks, lol...?

Yeah, I need to get myself a set of visors but,,, I have also been thinking to do without them together. Im tall, my head touches the hood liner when I am sitting/driving. Not just on this machine but on many vehicles I have ownwd visors become a real vision inhibitor for me. I see better without them in. And, with the sleek lowdown XJS design and profile,,, this one is more that than most...

Thank you for that suggestion tho. No doubt!

Old 06-10-2018, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JayJagJay
Hi Doug - since I have ya...

Question. I've replaced (on a whim) the licence plate lights with LED's looooong before I even drove her. Since and always I have had the dash light on telling me there are bulb problems. I imagine from those little sensors in the boot mounted just over the L and R tail lamps are sensitive to the change in voltage? COuld that be my problem? They are 3 prongs, small little things. You know what I mean?

"Bulb Failure Units"

These are a simply bi-metal switch that respond to heat.

The switch is normally closed and allows voltage to pass to the dashboard warning light, illuminating it. After 15-30 seconds, heat opens the switch and breaks the circuit .....and the dashboard warning light goes out.

The heat comes from the current draw of the bulbs. If there isn't enough heat.....as would happen if a bulb was burned out or missing.....the switch remains closed and the dashboard warning light stays on.

The LED bulbs draw very little current and, as a result, the heat required to open the switch just isn't produced and the warning light stays on.

Some LED replacements have built-in resistors to duplicate the current draw of conventional bulbs and thus allow bulb failure warning systems to operate properly

Cheers
DD

Old 06-10-2018, 05:51 PM
Received 177 Likes on 128 Posts

One very simple thing you can do is replace all the incandescent bulbs with LED's. About any auto parts store has them, and they are more daylight-balanced that the faded yellow things you probably have now (unless someone has replaced them in the past). Doing so dramatically increased the cabin illumination is my '87.

Good luck with it,

John
1987 XJ-S V12

Trending Topics

Old 06-11-2018, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 361 Posts

My only comment is that I find the incandescent Light temperature ( color ) in older vehicles very appealing. New cars have various color dashes and controls, all very Star Wars, and very bright interior lighting that is usually very white leaning towards blue. 6500K or more. Same with modern headlights. They are brighter and whiter. Great for driving unless they’re shining at you.

I added footwell lighting to my car with color and brightness adjustable led strips. Turned them down in brightness and all the way warm to try to match the existing incandescents. Still had to add a layer of Rosco thin yellow Light gel. They now blend perfectly with the rest of the lights, open up the dark foot wells nicely and add an overall bump in interior brightness.

If if I add anything more it will be additional strips under the rear of the front seats to open up the rear floorboards. This would help all my rear seat passengers to find their way to their seats.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JigJag
[left]My only comment is that I find the incandescent Light temperature ( color ) in older vehicles very appealing. New cars have various color dashes and controls, all very Star Wars, and very bright interior lighting that is usually very white leaning towards blue. 6500K or more. Same with modern headlights. They are brighter and whiter. Great for driving unless they’re shining at you.

Too true. It's easy to go overboard.

One of my pet peeves is overly-bright headlights, stop lights, etc. I'm not fond of my retinas being burned

Some LEDs cast a very bright and cold glow in the cabin. Some vendors are aware of this offer LEDs with varying degrees of coldness or warmth.

Cheers
DD