XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Getting close, yet far from done

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 09:12 AM
Received 324 Likes on 229 Posts
Default Getting close, yet far from done

Got most of the wiring routed and hooked up. But not reading to check for starting. next step is on to the trunk, remove and clean gas tank, clean the sump, new filters, new fuel pump, and replace fuel lines. In the picture with the wires circled in red, the tags came off, does or can someone tell or show picture of were they go?

Old 11-03-2015, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Originally Posted by daverb
In the picture with the wires circled in red, the tags came off, does or can someone tell or show picture of were they go?

I clicked on the pic but it's a bit small. Can you make it bigger and/or give us the wire colors?

Cheers
DD

Old 11-03-2015, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
I clicked on the pic but it's a bit small. Can you make it bigger and/or give us the wire colors?

Cheers
DD
Hope these are better, thanks Doug you sure have been a great help
will go to garage later on tonight and get back on the colors, I do know that one end hooks into the Supplementary air valve

Last edited by daverb; 11-03-2015 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,083 Likes on 5,350 Posts

If one end goes to the SAV (I am assuming both connections) the other end will the black wire to an earth (via another black wire it connects to) and the live feed to a source in the aircon circuit, possibly by the compressor somewhere, as the valve should open when the compressor kicks in to give the engine at tickover a few more revs. Lovely looking job, congrats.
Greg

The following users liked this post:
daverb (11-03-2015)
Old 11-03-2015, 09:01 PM
Received 142 Likes on 105 Posts

Not sure what those 2 wires are, I don't think my 78 is the same, but it looks like you are coming along nicely. Hope you get to start and drive soon.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member

I thinking they go to the electric "purge control valve"

If you have one.....at some point I think a change was made from vacuum to electric.....it'll probably be very close to the RH inner fenderwell, forward of the shock absorber area. It'll have a couple 3/8" hoses....one going thru the fenderwell to the vapor canister

cheers
DD

Old 11-03-2015, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member

Hold that thought ^^

I'm getting Series III V12 stuff mixed up with XJS stuff!

I'll keep looking

Cheers
DD

Old 11-03-2015, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Greg in France
If one end goes to the SAV (I am assuming both connections) the other end will the black wire to an earth (via another black wire it connects to) and the live feed to a source in the aircon circuit, possibly by the compressor somewhere, as the valve should open when the compressor kicks in to give the engine at tickover a few more revs. Lovely looking job, congrats.
Greg
Thanks Greg, I ha the other end alright for the connections, when I got the the last two wires the tags came off and the pics I took as taking apart did not come come out to well, you think since I am using a digital camera I would check the pic before taking apart

Thanks again
Dave

Old 11-04-2015, 12:13 AM

sure I got this right know, Thanks Greg you guided me to the right direction, and thank Doug for your help, and Doug I understand what you mean when having a couple of different cars, things can get misdirected. any how, copied a pic from the parts manual and circle were I believe the the wires go.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:42 PM

Greg
Well found out The original connector for the A/C has been changed as some point, more than likely when one of the POs changed the compressor in the past, so know I will have to make one up since I am having trouble finding one

Old 11-08-2015, 01:14 AM
Veteran Member

Well found out The original connector for the A/C has been changed as some point, more than likely when one of the POs changed the compressor in the past, so know I will have to make one up since I am having trouble finding one
All quite normal to find such things. As long as when the aircon kicks in the feed to the valve goes live, it will not mind what sort of connector!
Greg

Old 11-10-2015, 09:45 AM

All quite normal to find such things. As long as when the aircon kicks in the feed to the valve goes live, it will not mind what sort of connector!
Greg
Got the connector made up, if you would check on the pic I posted, am I correct on the hook up for the connections in question from the supplementary air valve?
my AirCon is new as is all other under bonnet parts

Old 11-10-2015, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

Got the connector made up, if you would check on the pic I posted, am I correct on the hook up for the connections in question from the supplementary air valve?
my AirCon is new as is all other under bonnet parts
The black wire is definitely an earth, so one SAV wire goes to that one (does not matter which as the solenoid is not polarity sensitive). Just test the pink wire to check that it goes live when the aircon compressor kicks in, and stops being live when it kicks out, a test light will do, or a meter. If it does then it will do fine, the solenoid uses very little current.

Do you have the tube from the inlet spigot under the manifold throttle body for the black end of the solenoid to connect to?
Greg

The following users liked this post:
daverb (11-11-2015)
Old 11-11-2015, 01:28 AM

The black wire is definitely an earth, so one SAV wire goes to that one (does not matter which as the solenoid is not polarity sensitive). Just test the pink wire to check that it goes live when the aircon compressor kicks in, and stops being live when it kicks out, a test light will do, or a meter. If it does then it will do fine, the solenoid uses very little current.

Do you have the tube from the inlet spigot under the manifold throttle body for the black end of the solenoid to connect to?
Greg
yes I have the tube, and just noticed that I had marked for the P/S wire in the wrong location,Have the new leads made up as per the parts book(mine was modified with only one ground connector. still will be sometime before firing the Ol Girl up, still need to pull the fuel tank and clean that and the lines, want to make sure all is good. plus want to replace the fuel pump and clean the sump, when i first stared, I had a lot of gunk that was blocking 4 injectors!

Last edited by daverb; 11-11-2015 at 01:34 AM. Reason: forgot to post drawing