XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Getting there

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,921 Likes on 1,669 Posts
Default Getting there

Front subframe rebushed, not long to go now.
And I've finally done the oil change on the boat so am proceeding immediately to the pub!

Attached Thumbnails Getting there-img_1863-800x600-.jpg  
Old 05-01-2014, 08:58 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,176 Posts

It's 5 o'clock somwhere! I'm not sure what time pubs open up by you, but you have undoubtedly earned yourself a pint.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Vee
It's 5 o'clock somwhere! I'm not sure what time pubs open up by you, but you have undoubtedly earned yourself a pint.
Absolutely! Changing the oil is a pain (it's a 2.5 litre BMC diesel [taxi] engine, marinised) as there is no room underneath to put anything to catch the old oil. What they have is a full length tray to catch it (and any leaks, don't want to pump oil into the river through the bilge pumps) so you drain the oil into the pan and then attempt to pump it into containers.
One hand holding the pipe in the oil pan, one hand holding the pump and the other hand pumping the handle whilst trying to hold a semi upside-down position reminiscent of an olympic gymnast.
Easy if you are a 3 handed olympic gymnast but somewhat challenging if you are 6' 1" tall, over 50 and with an **** the size of a small European state.
And of course you can only pump so much, the rest of it has to be manually removed so off to the pet shop for 2 bags of kitty litter to soak it up and then in with the scoop and the plastic bags. Might do that tomorrow, it seems like a lovely job to do with a hangover!
Anyway, went to the pub and it is shut for 3 weeks for refurbishment; Ba.....ds! In other words they are going to turn it from a perfectly acceptable town pub into some god awful place that sells cocktails and Wasabi nuts (no objection to either, just not in a beer emporium).
Luckily over here town pubs are generally open from 1100 to 2300 (and you can get licensed for 24 hour opening but haven't seen any those) so only had to totter 100 yards to the next establishment for a couple of jars of IPA (India Pale Ale).
Anyway, pleased with the boat engine, it hasn't run since October and a jump start and off she rumbled. Might be able to go out in her if it ever stops raining.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,092 Likes on 5,355 Posts

An the sort of boat and her name, Steve? decades and decades agoI used to own one that had exactly the same setup!

Greg

Old 05-01-2014, 12:26 PM
Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve M
Absolutely! Changing the oil is a pain (it's a 2.5 litre BMC diesel [taxi] engine, marinised) as there is no room underneath to put anything to catch the old oil. What they have is a full length tray to catch it (and any leaks, don't want to pump oil into the river through the bilge pumps) so you drain the oil into the pan and then attempt to pump it into containers.
One hand holding the pipe in the oil pan, one hand holding the pump and the other hand pumping the handle whilst trying to hold a semi upside-down position reminiscent of an olympic gymnast.
Easy if you are a 3 handed olympic gymnast but somewhat challenging if you are 6' 1" tall, over 50 and with an **** the size of a small European state.
And of course you can only pump so much, the rest of it has to be manually removed so off to the pet shop for 2 bags of kitty litter to soak it up and then in with the scoop and the plastic bags. Might do that tomorrow, it seems like a lovely job to do with a hangover!
Anyway, went to the pub and it is shut for 3 weeks for refurbishment; Ba.....ds! In other words they are going to turn it from a perfectly acceptable town pub into some god awful place that sells cocktails and Wasabi nuts (no objection to either, just not in a beer emporium).
Luckily over here town pubs are generally open from 1100 to 2300 (and you can get licensed for 24 hour opening but haven't seen any those) so only had to totter 100 yards to the next establishment for a couple of jars of IPA (India Pale Ale).
Anyway, pleased with the boat engine, it hasn't run since October and a jump start and off she rumbled. Might be able to go out in her if it ever stops raining.

Always liked the Wadworth's 6X when visiting in Malmesbury. Them were the days, sound of leather on willow...

Old 05-01-2014, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
An the sort of boat and her name, Steve? decades and decades agoI used to own one that had exactly the same setup!

Greg
Admiral VII, 1962 Broads (that's Norfolk Broads for those not in the know; it's a fair while since I've been deep sea and gone ashore looking for 'broads'!) Cruiser, built by Broom of Brundall. Mahogany (or My Agony) on oak frames. Slowly (painfully slowly) converting it from an 8 berth into a 2 plus 2 live aboard. Or 1 (me) plus 32" 3D Smart TV setup with full size domestic fridge full of beer so that I can fester in peace and watch very loud Sci Fi movies to my hearts content without being forced to watch soaps or do the washing up if I don't feel like it.
She is also on the National Historic Ship Register which made me feel dead chuffed (hope 'chuffed' isn't something rude outside of the UK!).
Also just visible on Google Earth which is amazing.
Picture taken last year on the Thames Relay.

Attached Thumbnails Getting there-12-david-annie-steve-ion-depart-admira-vii-souce-bottle-iffley.jpg  
Old 05-02-2014, 02:19 AM
Veteran Member

Lovely boat. Not my old one though. Was at school with Barney Broom.
Greg

Last edited by Greg in France; 05-02-2014 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:38 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

nice boat nice car good attitude

Old 05-03-2014, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

Lovely lines on the old Broad Steve!

I had one of these X-Change-R systems on my Viking SF. A real Godsend. It was hooked to both engines and the generator so you can have your beer and do your oil change at the same time

The following users liked this post:
Steve M (05-04-2014)
Old 05-03-2014, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

Admiral VII, 1962 Broads (that's Norfolk Broads for those not in the know; it's a fair while since I've been deep sea and gone ashore looking for 'broads'!) Cruiser, built by Broom of Brundall. Mahogany (or My Agony) on oak frames. Slowly (painfully slowly) converting it from an 8 berth into a 2 plus 2 live aboard. Or 1 (me) plus 32" 3D Smart TV setup with full size domestic fridge full of beer so that I can fester in peace and watch very loud Sci Fi movies to my hearts content without being forced to watch soaps or do the washing up if I don't feel like it.
She is also on the National Historic Ship Register which made me feel dead chuffed (hope 'chuffed' isn't something rude outside of the UK!).
Also just visible on Google Earth which is amazing.
Picture taken last year on the Thames Relay.
!! That's a Real Boat!!
Wow, Steve, I thought you might be referring to a dingy or something.
*Very Nice!
(';')

Old 05-04-2014, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the compliments everyone.
The Admiral always attracts a lot of attention whenever I take her out, people seem really taken with her.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,599 Posts

Front subframe rebushed, not long to go now.
And I've finally done the oil change on the boat so am proceeding immediately to the pub!
If I never see another boat, it won't be a day too soon!

I used to be as obsessed with boats, as I now am with Cars and used to have about 6 of them in various states of repair from 20ft to 30ft until I suddenly realized that this was like pouring money down a hole in the ground!

I've done a couple of trips on the 'Broads' including the 'infamous' Bridge at Potters Heigham!

So having got through that unscathed apart from a change of under pants! I thought I knew it all!

Until I tried to berth this boat right outside the Pub in between two others and made the 'Schoolboy error' of not heading into the tide as I came alongside!

I will never forget the look of 'Panic' on the face of the guy who owned the boat that I was about to Crash into, who was shaking so much he was actually spilling his tea!

Then realizing my mistake I turned the boat at the last minute to head back into the tide and guess what happened next!......

The boat spun round at a suicide speed and then went straight into the gap between these other boats as if by magic! in a gap that left no more than about 4ft at either end!

Although another change of under pants had been required, I managed to brazen it out enough, to look just like I knew what I was doing, although to be perfectly honest with you I felt I was dying inside!

So having failed to learn my lesson, I hired a 40ft Canal Boat for the first time in my life and then to my amazement, discovered that I suffered from a fear of heights as I took it along the Viaduct at Llangollan.

I have never been so scared in my whole life!

Old 05-11-2014, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
If I never see another boat, it won't be a day too soon!

I used to be as obsessed with boats, as I now am with Cars and used to have about 6 of them in various states of repair from 20ft to 30ft until I suddenly realized that this was like pouring money down a hole in the ground!

I've done a couple of trips on the 'Broads' including the 'infamous' Bridge at Potters Heigham!

So having got through that unscathed apart from a change of under pants! I thought I knew it all!

Until I tried to berth this boat right outside the Pub in between two others and made the 'Schoolboy error' of not heading into the tide as I came alongside!

I will never forget the look of 'Panic' on the face of the guy who owned the boat that I was about to Crash into, who was shaking so much he was actually spilling his tea!

Then realizing my mistake I turned the boat at the last minute to head back into the tide and guess what happened next!......

The boat spun round at a suicide speed and then went straight into the gap between these other boats as if by magic! in a gap that left no more than about 4ft at either end!

Although another change of under pants had been required, I managed to brazen it out enough, to look just like I knew what I was doing, although to be perfectly honest with you I felt I was dying inside!

So having failed to learn my lesson, I hired a 40ft Canal Boat for the first time in my life and then to my amazement, discovered that I suffered from a fear of heights as I took it along the Viaduct at Llangollan.

I have never been so scared in my whole life!
So now, not having learned your lesson that Machines don't like you, OB, you crawl under cars that rip you to shreds, dump radiator fluid in your face, and who knows what else that you haven't told us!

Hmm. I see a pattern forming here... Yes, it's all clear to me now. <snicker>
(';')

orangeblossom (05-11-2014)
Old 05-11-2014, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member
Default Down Look Down!

Originally Posted by LnrB
So now, not having learned your lesson that Machines don't like you, OB, you crawl under cars that rip you to shreds, dump radiator fluid in your face, and who knows what else that you haven't told us!

Hmm. I see a pattern forming here... Yes, it's all clear to me now. <snicker>
(';')
If anythings going to happen, it always happens to me!

The Canal Boat over the Aqueduct, was one of the Scariest things I've ever done in my whole life, because if you are new to Canal Boats, as I was back then, its like trying to drive a 40 ft Articulated Lorry in reverse.

When you are on a Canal Boat, you just stand on the little deck with the 'Tiller' (Steering Lever) on the back, where if anyone comes past you from the opposite way, the Front of your Canal Boat gets sucked in toward them.

In order to try and prevent this you sometimes need a bit of speed in order that this doesn't happen, as you need the pressure of Water against the rudder to steer, which creates a lot of problems, if you get that wrong!

So there I was standing at the back, (The Stern) on this tiny little deck and could see the Aqueduct right in front of me, which is fine until you realize the Water inside it is so high, it doesn't look like it has any sides!

And all the time it looks as if, just one false move would be all it would take to send the boat over the edge.

Just try and hold that thought in mind as we are on the 'Nursery Slopes' as to what happens next!

As when you get on to the Aqueduct there is no going back, where to either side of you, is a sheer plummeting drop and every time your boat hits the sides because you are going too slowly.

It feels as if you have hit the side of a beer mat, while you are standing on top and you start to think you are going to loose your footing! Which isn't recommended, as if you fall you would go straight over the edge!

Like walking across the Grand Canyon on a wobbly plank of Wood!

And if you find like I did, that you are Scared of heights! This is one aversion Therapy, I wouldn't recommend!

I was rigid with fear the whole way through and you can still see my fingerprints on the Tiller, as I was holding it so tight, just as if my life depended on it.

Which when you think about it, it probably did!

http://www.britainexpress.com/images...yllte-1172.jpg

Old 05-14-2014, 06:41 AM
Veteran Member

I think that the front suspension rebuild may have progressed slightly further than I intended.
For sale, one slightly used kidney. As it's an auto I could also be open to offers for a left foot.
Haven't got the car back yet (Saturday hopefully!) but have new gear knob; yes, I know it isn't OEM but it is an 'R' XJS.
Note correct orientation of radius arm bushes for the 'R' spec suspension.

Attached Thumbnails Getting there-sam_0446.jpg   Getting there-img_1862.jpg   Getting there-img_1962.jpg   Getting there-img_1967.jpg   Getting there-img_1981.jpg  

Old 05-14-2014, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member

With only one kidney, think what you will save on substances! And therefore have more to spend on petrol. Are yuo doing the cam covers while you wait?

FWIW, be prepeared to be disappointed with the radius arm bush reorientation. I tried it on my standard car, and all it achieved was a slight but noticeable 'kangaroo effect' on the rear end on normally flat tarmec! Off they came.

Greg

orangeblossom (05-15-2014)
Old 05-14-2014, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

Kangaroo effect?
A tendency to bask in the sun whilst exposing ones bits?
That should be an interesting side effect.

orangeblossom (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member

I think that the front suspension rebuild may have progressed slightly further than I intended.
For sale, one slightly used kidney. As it's an auto I could also be open to offers for a left foot.
Haven't got the car back yet (Saturday hopefully!) but have new gear knob; yes, I know it isn't OEM but it is an 'R' XJS.
Note correct orientation of radius arm bushes for the 'R' spec suspension.
Hats off to you Steve! and I thought I had problems!

Old 05-16-2014, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member

Almost done.
Shiny, shiny and new boot spoiler fitted.
She should be back early next week hopefully.

Attached Thumbnails Getting there-img_1991.jpg   Getting there-img_1992.jpg   Getting there-img_1994.jpg  
Old 05-16-2014, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member

Almost done.
Shiny, shiny and new boot spoiler fitted.
She should be back early next week hopefully.
Yes! *Very* shiny!

It's a very pretty car, Steve.
(';')

Steve M (05-16-2014)