XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Help with GROWLER removal please

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 05:38 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Help with GROWLER removal please

Hello all.
I have had a good look through all the posts regarding GROWLER and LEAPER removal/fitting for XJS but cant find anything.
A kind member of the public decided that my XJS would look better without the GROWLER and the LEAPER that were fitted on my 1989 XJS V12.
They both survived, but there is damage to the bonnet (hood) which needs attending to.
I have removed the LEAPER, but the GROWLER is still there.
I had assumed that the GROWLER is held with a bolt and pin through two holes, just like the LEAPER. However, the bonnet (hood) under the GROWLER is double skinned with no access holes.
Is the GROWLER just stuck on? If so, its stuck bloody well!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance.
Paul.
Alicante.
Spain.

Damage to hood...someone wanted the growler and leaper and tried to prise them off.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,599 Posts

Originally Posted by pablomonk
Hello all.
I have had a good look through all the posts regarding GROWLER and LEAPER removal/fitting for XJS but cant find anything.
A kind member of the public decided that my XJS would look better without the GROWLER and the LEAPER that were fitted on my 1989 XJS V12.
They both survived, but there is damage to the bonnet (hood) which needs attending to.
I had assumed that the GROWLER is held with a bolt and pin through two holes, just like the LEAPER. However, the bonnet (hood) under the GROWLER is double skinned with no access holes.
Many thanks in advance.
Paul.
Alicante.
Spain.

Damage to hood...someone wanted the growler and leaper and tried to prise them off.
Do You really need to remove it?

As the 'Growler' is a fitment on many an XJS unless of course you need it out of the way to repair the Hood/Bonnet.

As you can see from the Photo, its just held in place with one bolt and a very deep washer/spacer, so you will need a slim socket wrench to get into the hole to undo it.

And a squirt of WD40 would not do any harm before you start.

Last edited by orangeblossom; 03-16-2015 at 06:46 AM.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:45 AM
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

That's a shame!
I removed my growler for painting and it was held on by a big nut underneath like your the leaper looks like it was. I don't think 2 sided tape would hold on that well.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:04 AM

Thanks for the relies OB and Gunner. Its looks like my LEAPER was fitted where you have the GROWLER, and my GROWLER is a couple if inches lower down the bonnet. It needs to come off as its been prised up slightly on one side (not enough to see under or feel with a plug-gap gauge). Has to come off to repair bonnet and paint. As I have to respray the whole bonnet anyway, I guess I will have to cut it off and see what I can get away with. Its positioned over the twin skin part of the bonnet. Could be glued on with two-pack or something. I would like to get my hands on the nice chap that did this to my girl.
Got to get it done as its going up for sale (3600 pounds + project car, well cheap!). Need to generate a bit of cash and make some space in the garage.
:-(

Last edited by pablomonk; 03-16-2015 at 07:09 AM.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 731 Posts

I think your leaper was fitted to the original mounting point intended for the growler and the growler was moved forward on the bonnet. I would guess it is stuck on.

Hello all.
Many thanks in advance.
Paul.
Alicante.

Spain.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:12 AM

I think you right Baxter. Oh well.....lets see how much more damage I'm gonna do getting it off.
Thanks for the response.
Paul.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,599 Posts

If you are planning on Selling Her, why bother?

Why not buy another leaper and just use bigger washers underneath.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
If you are planning on Selling Her, why bother?

Why not buy another leaper and just use bigger washers underneath.
She runs beautifully, but damage to the bonnet is the first thing anyone sees. Not the pristine engine or shiny interior, perfect hood system or as new wheels, ...the bonnet. Its like seeing your dog limping about and not doing something to help...I know I'm a sad case!! If I can do it without costing too much, I will.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:10 PM
Received 313 Likes on 205 Posts

I think you right Baxter. Oh well.....lets see how much more damage I'm gonna do getting it off.
Thanks for the response.
Paul.
I agree that the growler was moved from its original location and is most likely just stuck on with some double-sided tape.

Use some dental floss or fishing line to cut through the tape. Once the Growler is removed you will be able to remove any tape that remains stuck to the hood.

Mark

The following users liked this post:
pablomonk (03-17-2015)