XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

here we go again!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 01:10 AM
Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts
Question here we go again!

Yes! The continuing saga of trying to fix a convertible xjs. This time it's the quarter windows. When I first got the car the top worked (for a short while). This is because the ramrods had not yet cut into the o rings in the cylinders to cause the fluid to leak out (Vat da hell did I know!). Now... I "think" I remember that when the top went down, so did the back windows which makes all the sense, top down, windows down, but, now the hydraulics are fixed. So Let's start here).... With the top up, I press the button to lower it and when it gets almost down, the quarter windows go up. When I raise the top, they go down. I can only get the windows up and the top up if I lower the top let the windows go up and then turn the hydraulic switch to manual and lift the top up (manually) Un.. be.. liev..able. I checked the wires they're fine, so again I'm at a loss as to why this is the way it is, Reversed! Any body ever encounter this? I'm getting used to this by now. But I just need to get it working right so I can park it at night and snap it up tight. And when it rains.. ugh! NO WINDOWS! Any input again, would be greatly appreciated Thanks Bud

Last edited by buddyluv; 08-01-2012 at 01:11 AM. Reason: missing word
Old 08-03-2012, 12:39 AM
Question Hmmmm

I guess I'm alone on this one. Well, if I find the problem I'll post it just so it's a matter of record since it seems this has hardly ever happened to anyone else.Bud

Old 08-03-2012, 07:54 AM
Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Buddy -

If this is an '83, you are looking at a custom job so you're on your own. It sounds like the wiring to one of the relays is reversed.

Just for comparison, my '88 Hess has independent controls for all 4 windows. The only interlock with the top is that the quarter windows will lower for the first second that the top is being raised. This allows the top to fully engage, afterwards you have to push the rocker switches to bring the quarter windows fully up.

Cheers,

- Will

Old 08-04-2012, 11:36 PM
Smile Relay!

I was thinking that a relay might be involved in some way. Only now I need to find out where it might be. It would have to have been messed with before I bought the car. The top and the quarter windows on my 91 xjs collectors edition (red) operate by one switch. Any ideas where I might get some books pertaining to the convertible top on these cars? Thanks Bud

Old 08-05-2012, 05:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

I'm confused...what year is this car? You're profile lists it as an 82, but you mention a 91?

Mine is a customized 83', but no idea who did it. It's a manual top and I don't have the quarter windows at all!

Old 08-05-2012, 11:51 PM
Talking recently

I picked up a 91 since I joined the 82 is a coupe (Almost completley restored and up for sale. Painted it a beautiful light yellow. I made connectors and reversed the wires to the quarter window motors.Mission accomplished. they go up when the top does and down when it goes down. At this point I don't care what went wrong, it's fixed. On to the next one. Bud

Old 08-06-2012, 06:22 AM
Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Nice work! Glad you got it sorted.

Cheers,

Will

Old 08-06-2012, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

How about some pics of the light yellow XJS?

Old 08-07-2012, 11:44 PM
Smile Pics coming

I'll gather some up and post them soon. Bud

Old 08-09-2012, 02:52 AM
Default Some 82 Yellow jag pics

If I can upload enough of the pics, I'l tell a little story of the car. Here goes. The car was originally white with one foot in the grave. I bought the car for $800. I did extensive bodywork on the car for many years off and on and eventually got it to a finished (ready for paint) stage. I then went to Maaco and had them prime the car over my primer, sand it and apply a single stage, with epoxy hardener added to the urethane, light yellow paint. I lined up the otherwise poorly fitted panels the best I could. I re coated all the rubber with bumper paint and re chromed the bumpers. To make a long story short. A lot of parts were replaced and the car is a great driving, stopping cool running highway car. I turns heads everywhere. It's not completely done in these pics. I'll send some most recent pics shortly. Bud

Attached Thumbnails here we go again!-pict0016.jpg   here we go again!-pict0017.jpg   here we go again!-hud-196.jpg   here we go again!-hud-204.jpg   here we go again!-hud-198.jpg  

here we go again!-hud-202.jpg   here we go again!-hud-197.jpg   here we go again!-img_0081.jpg   here we go again!-img_0086.jpg   here we go again!-img_0091.jpg  

here we go again!-img_0093.jpg   here we go again!-img_0098.jpg  

Last edited by buddyluv; 08-09-2012 at 02:58 AM. Reason: more info
The following users liked this post:
Flint Ironstag (08-10-2012)
Old 08-09-2012, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member

Nice work, man - tint those windows!

buddyluv (08-10-2012)
Old 08-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,092 Likes on 5,355 Posts

Wonderful job. Congratulations
Greg

buddyluv (08-10-2012)
Old 08-10-2012, 12:18 AM
Smile More pics coming

I'll post the final build of my 82 shortly. Bud

Old 08-10-2012, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member

I remember as a teenager - there was a fly yellow (think Lamborghini) XJS at the local import dealer. Man I lusted after that thing - LOL. I prefer the dark colours now: jet black (why does lamp black seem so familiar - oil paint??), regent grey (or is it dorchester - whichever is darker), always with black interior and a tint.

Gawd bless I love these vehicles.

Last edited by Flint Ironstag; 08-10-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:53 AM
Wink Never Finished!

It seems that in order to own and drive one of these cars you must constantly be fixing something. Unless you've obtained one of those of super low mileage. If you bought an 82 like mine, it's a long strenuous task and if you don't know what these cars will be worth upon completion ( In relation to the quality of the restoration) you will find, SELLING.. the car and recouping your investment are two separate things. For me restoring this 82 xjs coupe was a learning process, or should I say studying. You start out throwing a small lump to obtain the vehicle, then funnel small to medium amounts of money to chip away at the fixes. For me this car was going to be my (retirement car), BUT, you don't figure on the changes if your restoration takes YEARS! By the by, I painted the car yellow first, because I knew sports cars were painted (Yellow), but foremost, with the amount of bodywork that I did on that car, I refused to paint it with any color other than one that would (Turn heads). Silver? black? Champagne? no.. no..no..Red? Hmm Everybody's got a red one, but YELLOW? YEAH!! No one has a yellow xjs! And doesn't it look good. Although Jaguar diehards would have a heart attack! But doesn't everyone want a convertible? But of course. My friend finds me a 91, 64k mi. $1800 bucks What? Yes, needed a good amount of work, but there was no rust, Zero! Plus, it's a classic edition (red), motor and drive train, perfect. Now as I neared completion of the 91, my (retirement car) is looking less desirable, and I now had no space to keep it. The 82 still had a lot of (chewing down the price) factors. So now with selling in mind, I got to work and put even more money into it. If you've been with me thus far, thanks. Now to finish. I now HAVE to sell this car, but I don't WANT to. The 91 I've had for 9 months but the 82 I've had for 9 YEARS. Now that it's (brand new, just about) I want to keep it. But I can't. I have no room and it's time to push the baby out of the nest. I also have a 69 xke 2+2 so it's a no brainer. That will be for sale after a paint job,but that's another story. Hope I didn't bore anyone, Bud

Old 08-12-2012, 03:31 AM
Veteran Member
Default still waiting...

... for pics of the completed yellow XJS. Maybe someone here will take it off your hands, and you'll be able to track its progress.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:37 PM

I'll get right on it.Bud