XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

High Lights! (1989 XJS V12)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 02:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts
Default High Lights! (1989 XJS V12)

Hi

Prior to taking my XJS (V12) for an MOT this week, maybe someone could answer this question for me?

When my Car was brand new (which was before I bought her) the Headlights must have been set up at the correct height.

So why do they keep on checking these things, every time I take a Car for an MOT?

It's not as if someone sneaks out in the 'middle of the night' to alter them and yet they always check them, every single time.

I've even had times when they pass them one year and then fail them another, so what is going on?

Knowing this is possible I want to be prepared, so if the lights need adjusting on my XJS is there a way I can do this on the spot?

On my Merc this is a piece of 'cake' as there is just a thumb switch on the 'dashboard' but is it really that simple on an XJS V12?

As a matter of interest or not, as the case may be, I took an MGB I once owned for an MOT (after 3 years as per the UK regulations) At the time She was my 'Pride and Joy' as I had bought Her 'Brand New'

And I was not as 'Street Wise' as I am to-day, so confident She was perfect in every possible way, I went to do some shopping while She was having her Test.

When I came to collect her, the Tester said She was all ok apart from the Headlights, which he said he had adjusted for me and that this was going to cost me an extra £20 (The hourly rate at the time in question)

I was quite OK with this, as at least She didn't fail.

Up until the moment that I looked at the lights! and then found to my horror, that he had used the tip of a Screwdriver, to prize off the Chromium Surrounds.

Chipping the paintwork all the way round, so they looked like 'eye lashes' on a near concourse car!

I just went (f) bananas! when I saw what he had done, but as things were I had to give them the chance to repair the damage!

So in order to do this, they did a 'cack handed' respray, around the headlight surrounds, which actually made it look far worse than the original damage.

So never again will I leave a Car in the hands of a garage and think that being 'Street Wise' should be a subject taught in every School.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,079 Likes on 5,347 Posts

On your model, OB, the headlights are retained in place by the most gimcrack devices I have ever seen in this role. There are three plastic pieces (about 1.5 inches square by 1/4 inch deep) with a slot in one of the flat sides, that run on long threaded set screws. These are in turn attached to a piece of steel and a spring, the entirety of which is bolted to the nacelle outer rim. The plastic pieces of this device click into metal lugs on the headlight unit and are meant to be held in place by the aforesaid spring. When the setscrews are screwed in and out the headlight unit adjusts. One adjuster on each side and one at the bottom of the nacelle.

The problem is that as soon as you go over the smallest bump the headlight jumps out of the plastic piece - if it was ever in it! So you can see this effort is made for randowm headlight aiming fails at MOT time!

I have been puzzling for years how to make this system better, but I cannot come up with anything other than a metal fixing in place of the plastic one which would, I am sure, result in a fractured headlight in due course. If anyone has any system that works, please let le know! I currently have the four headlight version on my car, and have recently obtained the unobtainable RH dipping one piece headlights which I prefer. But I still cannot think of how to adequately retain and adjust them!
Greg

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (05-11-2014)
Old 05-11-2014, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
On your model, OB, the headlights are retained in place by the most gimcrack devices I have ever seen in this role. There are three plastic pieces (about 1.5 inches square by 1/4 inch deep) with a slot in one of the flat sides, that run on long threaded set screws. These are in turn attached to a piece of steel and a spring, the entirety of which is bolted to the nacelle outer rim. The plastic pieces of this device click into metal lugs on the headlight unit and are meant to be held in place by the aforesaid spring. When the setscrews are screwed in and out the headlight unit adjusts. One adjuster on each side and one at the bottom of the nacelle.

The problem is that as soon as you go over the smallest bump the headlight jumps out of the plastic piece - if it was ever in it! So you can see this effort is made for randowm headlight aiming fails at MOT time!

I have been puzzling for years how to make this system better, but I cannot come up with anything other than a metal fixing in place of the plastic one which would, I am sure, result in a fractured headlight in due course. If anyone has any system that works, please let le know! I currently have the four headlight version on my car, and have recently obtained the unobtainable RH dipping one piece headlights which I prefer. But I still cannot think of how to adequately retain and adjust them!
Greg
While I thank you for that Greg, its the perfect excuse for a garage to make a lot of lovely extra dosh, as I obviously haven't got the same type of headlight testing equipment as they have.

So what with garages charging £40 - £50 per hour or a 'Part thereof' they have more or less got you over a barrel.

But my first choice garage which is quite a long way down the road, would probably do the adjustment for a drink.

So once again, I am stuck between a Rock and a Hard Place, as I either get the Test done locally (as I am doing) or else run the Gauntlet of the APNR Cameras, that I feel sure I would clock me along the way.

With all the resulting hassle that this may incur.

So I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed She passes.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:10 AM
Received 496 Likes on 315 Posts

you always have the option to submit your car to any garage for a ' pre-MOT ' check before its due , if you can't do it yourself like i do.

they will charge you a fee to inspect the car for anything that doesn't comply ,

this way you are in charge of the costs before you submit the car

or

instruct the garage NOT to carry out any repairs when submitted for an MOT and it fails, if they do a free retest, then fix yourself and re submit the car.( usually 7 days )

with regard to the headlights, once you know they are correct, park 1mtr away from a wall , and mark the pattern on the wall , then this is used in the future to check alignment

finally , i never leave my car to be MOT'd by its self, i always stay and observe in the provided viewing area, its your right, any issues can be ' discussed ' with the tester, any issues you dont agree with can be resolved by another MOT station ,

more importantly , i engage with the tester to let him know i know my own car, and regard the MOT as a vital safety inspection to ensure me and my family are driving a safe car ,
with that attitude, they usually find it refreshing to talk to me

BB

Old 05-11-2014, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brake buster
you always have the option to submit your car to any garage for a ' pre-MOT ' check before its due , if you can't do it yourself like i do.

they will charge you a fee to inspect the car for anything that doesn't comply ,

this way you are in charge of the costs before you submit the car

or

instruct the garage NOT to carry out any repairs when submitted for an MOT and it fails, if they do a free retest, then fix yourself and re submit the car.( usually 7 days )

with regard to the headlights, once you know they are correct, park 1mtr away from a wall , and mark the pattern on the wall , then this is used in the future to check alignment

finally , i never leave my car to be MOT'd by its self, i always stay and observe in the provided viewing area, its your right, any issues can be ' discussed ' with the tester, any issues you dont agree with can be resolved by another MOT station ,

more importantly , i engage with the tester to let him know i know my own car, and regard the MOT as a vital safety inspection to ensure me and my family are driving a safe car ,
with that attitude, they usually find it refreshing to talk to me

BB
I'm not so sure you are right on that, I know you can take your Car along to a Pre-booked MOT aside from any restrictions that might be imposed by your Insurance Company.

But to take it along for a Pre-MOT on a Car that doesn't yet have an MOT, I really don't think that you are allowed to do that.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:35 PM
Received 496 Likes on 315 Posts

now i know you want to put an MOT on a car that currently doesn't have one

but unfortunately , nothing is for free , and how you get your car to the ' pre-MOT ' is up to you , they can collect on a low loader if it means that much ,

but that was your other thread, not this one....

you were asking about lights, and testers finding and charging for ' faults ' they may find

just offering my opinion , and experience ,

after that, its your car, and your money

BB

Old 05-11-2014, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brake buster
now i know you want to put an MOT on a car that currently doesn't have one

but unfortunately , nothing is for free , and how you get your car to the ' pre-MOT ' is up to you , they can collect on a low loader if it means that much ,

but that was your other thread, not this one....

you were asking about lights, and testers finding and charging for ' faults ' they may find

just offering my opinion , and experience ,

after that, its your car, and your money

BB
I am always open to opinions and enjoy a bit of banter, especially on a miserable day like today.

One Insurance Company decided to turn me away, because I did not have a pre-existing MOT.

But I've got the Car Insured now and the MOT is Tomorrow! Arrrgh!

Though what I can never understand, is the amount of 'Rust Buckets' that you see on the Road, many of which I imagine, have 'probably' managed to pass an MOT!

Though goodness knows how!

Old 05-11-2014, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,935 Likes on 5,285 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom

But I've got the Car Insured now and the MOT is Tomorrow! Arrrgh!
[...]
I wish you success tomorrow, OB!
(';')

orangeblossom (05-12-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 04:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LnrB
I wish you success tomorrow, OB!
(';')
Hi Elinor

Many Thanks for your good wishes, which are appreciated, as the last thing that I want to do is write another saga! unless of course She passes, then you won't shut me up!

But I've had an MOT done there many moons ago, where they went and failed my Merc on Brake Pipes!

Seeing as I have already messed up the ABS on one of my fleet, anything to do with Brakes, I want to keep away from!

But I have a 'Cunning Plan' which may or may not work! (the plot thickens)

Old 05-12-2014, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

everything in a car wiggles, jiggles, and wears. Thats like saying last year they checked they ball joints and they were fine.

A screw can rust and fall out, a big pot hole can knock the light about a little. Tons of possibilities can cause your alignment to be off and its very important for them to check because it lets you see and ensures other motorists aren't blinded.

I can only comment on the euro headlights. The metal ring pops off and then you can make adjustments in 3 places with a screw driver. Really simple

orangeblossom (05-12-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
everything in a car wiggles, jiggles, and wears. Thats like saying last year they checked they ball joints and they were fine.

A screw can rust and fall out, a big pot hole can knock the light about a little. Tons of possibilities can cause your alignment to be off and its very important for them to check because it lets you see and ensures other motorists aren't blinded.

I can only comment on the euro headlights. The metal ring pops off and then you can make adjustments in 3 places with a screw driver. Really simple
Many Thanks for the info on that but now I've got an even bigger problem!