XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Home Made Quick and Dirty Exhaust Pipe Separator

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts
Default Home Made Quick and Dirty Exhaust Pipe Separator

When I was taking off my Exhaust Pipe to try and get rid of the 'Droop' it was stuck fast! which was maybe owing to my using some of that Exhaust Putty Stuff.

A tap with a rubber faced mallet wouldn't shift it either, so I very quickly made something up from Stuff I had laying around.

Which was Two pairs of Manifold Clamps, that I must have bought a long time ago, for my MGB.

They just need to be a slightly smaller diameter, than the Pipes you are wanting to pull apart.

If not then you could make up the space with a piece of rubber or something like that.

The next thing you need are Four Eyebolts and a couple of pieces of Threaded Stud Rod, which you can easily purchase from any DIY store.

The Picture tells the Story:

You use the Threaded Eye Bolts, to not only Clamp the Manifold Clamps to the Pipe but you then use the Eyes in the Eye Bolts, as pressure points to Push the Exhaust Pipes apart.

By passing Two pieces of Threaded Stud Rod through the Eyes, inbetween which are a couple of Nuts with big washers (not shown in the photo)

Its self explanatory really but as you undo the Nuts that you put on the Threaded Rod, it forces the Exhaust Pipe to come apart.

What you see in the Photo, is a rehashed 'mock up' of what i actually made, as I needed some of the Eye Bolts for something else as I hopefully won't be needing to use it any time soon.

Or I would have Welded the Eyebolts in and really made a proper job of it.

Name:  Exhaust%20007_zpskosd2bc3.jpg
Views: 3246
Size:  60.3 KB

The following 3 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
gatekeeper (03-01-2015), manwich66 (03-01-2015), ronbros (03-05-2015)
Old 03-02-2015, 06:57 PM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts

Good for you. If you dont have the tool you need, then you make it.
Ive made something similar with pipe clamps and turnbuckels.
If that failes you can use an air chisle on the clamp to help start it moving.

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (03-03-2015)
Old 03-03-2015, 02:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bc xj
Good for you. If you dont have the tool you need, then you make it.
Ive made something similar with pipe clamps and turnbuckels.
If that failes you can use an air chisle on the clamp to help start it moving.
As a matter of fact, I've also got an Air Chisel, which I was tempted to use but its such a lethal Weapon, that I didn't want to risk, the vibration cracking the Manifold or ripping off one of the down pipes.

Old 11-01-2023, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 806 Likes on 510 Posts

I just stumbled onto this @orangeblossom and it's really quite brilliant. Thanks for taking the time to post it, and again displaying your inventiveness.

"Give me a lever and I can move the world." A threaded rod and nut is a rotational lever, and I too often forget how powerful they can be.

Might be an 8-year-old thread, but I am sure many will find this helpful.

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (11-03-2023)
Old 11-03-2023, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Mac and others

Cheers!

Can't believe that was 8 Years ago! doesn't time fly when you are enjoying yourself!

Though not so much now as there are two many rules and regulations trying to force you off the road, including Tax and Insurance, that seems to have almost doubled in price since last year

And so instead I've been majoring in on the mechanical side and in the process have designed a New Type of Trolley Jack, where having made a working prototype I've been using it to Jack up my XJS

This Trolley Jack isn't like anything I've ever seen before, although its easily Copied and basically made out of Junk I had laying around, so having made a Video of the way it works, just for a laugh I sent it off to one of China's Trolley Jack Manufacturers

Really for nothing more than fun to see what they thought of it, even though I wasn't expecting to hear anything back

Except that 'This time Baby' they absolutely loved it! and want to put it into manufacture OMG!

I couldn't afford to Patent it because it is so simple and as such is easily copied, as if it gets to Market all the other Jack Manufacturers are probably going to copy it as well

And so the chances are that I will make nothing at all out of it, as if they decide not to pay me there is nothing I can do

So I will have to leave it up to them to do the decent thing, or not as the case may be

I can't show you the Video or even describe how I made it, as I had to sign an NDA

Although my real reward is going to be from seeing one of you Guys using it on the Forum, if of course anything good should come of it

So Watch this space!

The following 4 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
Greg in France (11-04-2023), Mac Allan (11-03-2023), NBCat (11-03-2023), Ottoholic (11-03-2023)