XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

How easy to drive is the facelift XJS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts
Default How easy to drive is the facelift XJS?

I love driving my XJS, a beautiful 1994 facelift convertible, but, since the early days of ownership I have noticed that there is an area of performance that, in general, it rather lacks when compared to other cars. I’m talking about ease and effort of driving and of maneuvering the car, especially at lower speeds. This is in comparison to the other cars in my garage and to the occasional rentals throughout the years and I’m not saying that this is a severe XJS defect, but rather something that my wife has complained about forever and that, while it does not affect me and my XJS driving, it is something that I’ve agreed with her all along because it’s impossible to miss. While it’s true that some of the cars being compared to would win the comparison only because of obvious weight advantages (my late ‘80’s Sterlings come to mind, one of which was the wife’s), others, like my ’77 XJ12 and my ’98 XJ8L (both the long wheel base, heavier cars), felt somehow easier to maneuver and felt right down as if you were driving a lighter car, even when they’re probably rather heavier cars. Lately, comparing the XJS to my 2002 XJR is a similar story, with the XJR being easier to drive, to maneuver and “to just drive without issues” (whatever that means, some may say…).

Things that, in my personal view, make this perception worse are the XJS large turning circle, its borderline power steering assist (facelift, 4.0L cars) plus that long, never ending hood (which is actually one of the XJS’ great looks' attributes). All these together, plus the occasional unexpected iceberg on the road, or on your driveway, make it feel like that ever sloooow turning of the Titanic in front of the iceberg from an inevitable hit (the XJS nose view from the cockpit). Again, this is by comparison to other cars, as I don’t recall ever experiencing this phenomenon before. I have previously started a thread here in regards to one of these issues, which is to making my XJS steering a little lighter, but it didn’t go anywhere. Then, another sort of lazy maneuvering is the XJS rather tame acceleration feeling (longitudinally sluggish) didn’t help with this either, which is why I worked on and achieved the improvement of this parameter with mods that can rival the XJR’s acceleration. One thing that the XJR doesn’t have anything on the XJS is the brakes. I do like the XJS’ stopping response/feeling.

Some may say that my old XJ12 chassis was very similar to that of the XJS, so why should it feel “better”? But one thing that my old XJ12 had over the newer XJS’ was that light (too light for some?) power steering effort needed. Those year’s sedans (series I, II, not sure about series III) were super sharp for fast emergency steering corrections at road speeds and I’m sure that the lighter steering had much to do with that quality.

Then, if the XJR feels better, it is nothing compared to the wife’s Z3. Comparing the XJS to the Z3 ease of drive (I do it almost daily), it makes the latter feel like a go-kart, so much fun, so easy to drive, to handle, to take fast corners, to push around, that driving the XJS after three days of driving the Z3, the difference feels abysmal, yet, the XJR in the same circumstances is not bad at all; yes, it does feels heavier (it IS much heavier), but it still is a very easy Jaguar to drive. Some may say that the XJS is a GT car and not a sports or small car like the little Z3, but the XJR, being a 4-door sedan is actually as heavy as the "GT" XJS, yet you can toss it around, no problem.

I’m not necessarily complaining here, but just presenting a perceived difference that actually does come to me as a complaint, but from the wife, but it is a complaint to which I totally agree because I can easily see and feel what she's talking about. Since the Z3 is her car, as a driver from the female gender, it is very possible that the XJS lesser ease of drive can be significant. Personally, I love driving the XJS because there are many attributes that I much admire and make me happy to own but that the wife apparently does not see, or appreciate enough to overcome the Titanic syndrome. Some will say "just drive it yourself only and don't let her drive the XJS", but that's not the point because this issue does exist, unless everybody here say that they don't see what I'm talking about. She's a pretty blonde and looks phenomenal driving the sparkling BRG XJS with the top down under Cal sun, but I don't think that she loves the car enough as I want her to, not yet.

But I’d really like to hear from other members’ experience, especially from those who own a facelift XJS AND a Jag sedan, better yet if it is an X308 and even better if there’s a wife, a girl friend, sister or grandma involved, as well…?

Thank you very much and cheers,

The following users liked this post:
Flint Ironstag (02-16-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 08:34 PM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

My thoughts after way tooo many Jags.

Tight balljoints is common on Jags, and they will have that affect. The replacement "sealed for life" are the main ones that cause this. Hunt some down with grease fittings (give them a squirt twice a years), and I reckon it will make a difference. I drilled both the S Type lower balljoints, and "fitted" grease nipples, pumped them FULL of grease, and what a difference that made, sorted many issues, more so with the Black car.

The steer fluid is also a contributor. Not sure which system that car has, but the late XJ40 and X300 had electronic variable steer, and a "black box" on the pinion head did the deed. Maybe that bit is not doing what it should.

I also run Full Synthetic Fluid is all the power steer systems of mine, and that has also made things much better.

The list goes on.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 02-15-2016 at 08:36 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
Greg in France (02-16-2016), orangeblossom (02-16-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,599 Posts

That's the whole point of buying a Car like an XJS, its totally different from anything else on the road and if you don't like driving it, for whatever reason then you may have been better off buying something else.

Because nobody held a gun to your head and made you go and buy it in the first place and nobody is going to say that you can't sell it, if its not what you want.

But the fact of the matter is no one on here would ever consider parting with their XJS except maybe to buy another one or two or three or four.........

None of us want normal Cars, that never break down or give problems or give you the kind of Dramas, that you can 'dine out forever on down the pub' because as far as we are concerned, normal Cars are not fun, they are just plain boring.

With nothing to do but put her in gear and swan along without a care in the World, safe in the knowledge that my boring Car is extremely unlikely to break down and in the unlikely event that it does, I'll get a firm to recover it and get a Taxi home.

And why not its just another piece of metal on wheels.

But if you drive an XJS it's different, for starters there's no such thing as a boring day out, as the very first problem you come up against, is wiping that Smile off your face.

Like when you pull into a Garage, then find a Magazine to read, while you are filling her up and then pretend that you don't give a toss as you pump a hundred quids worth into the Tank and then go back the following day for a Top Up.

Or cause a major incident on the Garage Forecourt, as every body has to wait, while you do an enormous three point turn.

Or maybe check the engine over for the hell of it, so everyone can gaze in awe at the Rocket that's under the bonnet/hood.

We might be shameless poseurs but at least we can do the job properly, as that is all part of the fun and having fun is what life's all about.

The GF will never leave me while I've got that Car because She's really paranoid that sooner or later someone else is going to take her place and while that might sound shallow, I'm not going out with her because of her IQ.

Of course there's a lot more to it than that but having a nice Car isn't what you'd call a disadvantage or to be a bit more accurate, the most drop dead gorgeous Swankiest Car on the Planet.

Its a rotten job but someone has to drive it.

But if that Car is not for you, then it maybe better to trade it in for something that you like, maybe a Convertible Merc like a 500 SL.

The following 3 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
Flint Ironstag (02-16-2016), Grant Francis (02-16-2016), Greg in France (02-16-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Do you need a 87 Sterling RHS headlight? BNIB.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by orangeblossom

But if that Car is not for you, then it maybe better to trade it in for something that you like, maybe a Convertible Merc like a 500 SL.
It seems like you skipped a lot of my post...

Cheers,

Old 02-15-2016, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plums
Do you need a 87 Sterling RHS headlight? BNIB.
I haven't owned a Sterling now for several years, so, no, I don't need a headlight.

I loved the Sterling cars and what a sweet car they were. Beautiful, high quality interiors with a super smooth Acura Legend V6. If they hadn't pulled away from the US market (including parts and support) I would still own at least one. The last one I sold looked like a brand new car from the showroom and it broke my heart to see it go (to the girl friend of an [ex] Sterling mechanic, of all people).

Why, do you still have a Sterling, or just the headlight?

Cheers,

Old 02-15-2016, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

@Reinaldo

I agree with you.... the XJS is like no other. As per my signature, I've had a few different Jags.

I definitely feel the lack of turning circle is what makes the XJS feel awkward at times. Also the fact you have to be very careful going nose in to parking spots because of the low front spoiler.

My XJS is a V12, and as per another thread, we are currently bringing a 76 XJ12C back to life. The few times I have driven the XJ12C so far it feels much more "nimble" than the XJS..... so that kind of aligns with your feeling that your XJ12 was easier to drive.

My DB9 vs XJS is a very interesting experience when you drive them back to back....... the DB9 feels much, much smaller and lighter than the XJS, which, actually it isn't. Obviously it has a clear advantage in the power department, and also it wasn't designed in the 60s so it feels a lot more modern.

One thing I did to my XJS which changed the feel of it was fitting a smaller steering wheel......I went from the standard bus steering wheel to a smaller diameter wooden rimmed wheel. This made it feel less barge like, but it's still a barge. Oh, and I absolutely love it

The following 2 users liked this post by Sarc:
Forcedair1 (02-18-2016), orangeblossom (02-16-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

'Tis been 10 years or so since I sold my XJS but I remember it well

I used it mostly as a highway/weekend car....I did a lot of road trips at the time....so the turning circle wasn't much of an issue. I do remember the steering was slightly heavy and very direct....but I preferred it to the overly-light, less direct feel of my XJR/6. Come to think of, the XJS as a whole just has a heavy, substantial feel. My XJR, which actually had a higher curb weight, had an overall lighter feel.

The only thing I remember as being slightly difficult about the car....mine was a coupe....was climbing in and out. Quite a bit more stooping than either my Series III cars or the XJR....which themselves are low-ish as sedans go. The longer XJS doors were a bother at times as well....although now I'm entering into outright nit picking territory. But, again, as a highway car these aspects were of little consequence.

I also recall...now that I'm trying to think of the negatives.... that outward visibility wasn't all that great.

What I remember most vividly was the absolute-rock-solid feel at high speeds, 80-90-100+ mph. Very reassuring. My Series III came somewhat close but, disappointingly, the XJR simply didn't have that reassuring feel at all.

I also found the XJS to be near impervious to side winds...a bit of an added bonus appreciated on those long stretches of open road. Another bonus for the open road was the much maligned tall gearing. Though it blunts of-the-mark acceleration, the ability to use first gear to 65 mph and ....especially...second gear to about 110 mph was actually useful and appreciated. Sprints from 80 mph upward were quite brisk.....though still no match for the supercharged XJR.

One big negative to my '88 XJS was the torture rack driver's seat. These were still the early 'flat' seats. It was terrible....no support under my legs. Whenever I hit the brakes I tended to slide forward and out of the seat. I used 3/4" spacers under the front seat track mounts to elevate the front of the seat. That mere 3/4" increase made a remarkably out-of-proportion improvement in driving comfort.

That's all I can think of at the moment

Cheers
DD

Last edited by Doug; 02-16-2016 at 07:29 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Doug:
Flint Ironstag (02-16-2016), Grant Francis (02-16-2016), orangeblossom (02-16-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 01:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,092 Likes on 5,355 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcedair1
I love driving the XJS because there are many attributes that I much admire and make me happy to own but that the wife apparently does not see, or appreciate enough to overcome the Titanic syndrome. Some will say "just drive it yourself only and don't let her drive the XJS", but that's not the point because this issue does exist, unless everybody here say that they don't see what I'm talking about. She's a pretty blonde and looks phenomenal driving the sparkling BRG XJS with the top down under Cal sun, but I don't think that she loves the car enough as I want her to, not yet.
Sorry to disappoint you Forcedair, but no woman will EVER love a car like a bloke does! (except Eleanor, maybe).

And Orangeblossom, "The GF will never leave me while I've got that Car because She's really paranoid that sooner or later someone else is going to take her place"
It's not the car she loves, but for some hard to fathom reason, it's YOU ! But you are dead right, the car just says Glamour, Style, next stop Rome...

and Doug "What I remember most vividly was the absolute-rock-solid feel at high speeds, 80-90-100+ mph. Very reassuring... I also found the XJS to be near impervious to side winds...a bit of an added bonus appreciated on those long stretches of open road. Another bonus for the open road was the much maligned tall gearing. Though it blunts of-the-mark acceleration, the ability to use first gear to 65 mph and ....especially...second gear to about 110 mph was actually useful and appreciated"

100% agree; but not about the seats, I find the later seats uncomfortable and my early seat brilliant. Of course, it was for the British body that they were designed!
Greg

The following 3 users liked this post by Greg in France:
Grant Francis (02-16-2016), orangeblossom (02-16-2016), ronbros (02-16-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 06:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,599 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcedair1
It seems like you skipped a lot of my post...

Cheers,
Hands up

You do have a point and She can be a bit of a handful to drive, with that wide turning circle when you are looking over a bonnet/hood, that seems to go on for ever and a day.

But those are just some of the slings and arrows that you have to accept, or at least learn to live with, in the event you want to drive this iconic Car.

And though I've never had one myself, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the 'e'type was even worse in that respect, where many of the fairer sex would prefer to be the passenger rather than the driver.

Its really a 'Cult Classic' that most 'normal' people wouldn't touch with a Barge Pole, as if it goes wrong or when it goes wrong, you either have to fix it yourself, or pay a Shop or Garage, a fortune to do this for you.

Though as for acceleration, for that you would need the V12 but once again that comes at a price, as that thing can drink Petrol/Gas like its going out of Style.

But its apples and oranges really, as you can't compare an XJS with any other Car, you either really love it or you don't.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

I'm not a mechanic, so I love these discussions on the subjective feel of the XJS. I don't own a facelift either, but I can imagine that all the XJS models feel a bit cumbersome and ponderous in city traffic. The nose is long, visibility is poor, automatic transmission sucks, chin spoiler scrapes everywhere, and the suspension is rather firm in town.

None of this matters

I daily drive mine for everything and love it. Hit the freeway and the car truly comes into its own. Life begins at 85mph (allegedly). Funny I was just talking with the GF about stability in high crosswinds, something the XJS truly excels at.

Yeah, it can be a bit of a handful in town.

ronbros (02-16-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 09:24 PM
Received 99 Likes on 93 Posts

My spouse does not like to drive my XJS and I take that as a plus. She would surely tear the nose off the old girl. I drove semis for 30 years and don't have a problem with the turning radius of 'the Queen'. A good bit of my pleasure owning her is just looking at her. Beautiful, clean, dirty, wet, dry, top up or down. Similar to when I rode motorcycles. Beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder.
RagJag

Old 02-18-2016, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sarc
@Reinaldo

I agree with you.... the XJS is like no other. As per my signature, I've had a few different Jags.

I definitely feel the lack of turning circle is what makes the XJS feel awkward at times. Also the fact you have to be very careful going nose in to parking spots because of the low front spoiler.

My XJS is a V12, and as per another thread, we are currently bringing a 76 XJ12C back to life. The few times I have driven the XJ12C so far it feels much more "nimble" than the XJS..... so that kind of aligns with your feeling that your XJ12 was easier to drive.

My DB9 vs XJS is a very interesting experience when you drive them back to back....... the DB9 feels much, much smaller and lighter than the XJS, which, actually it isn't.
Your comparison to the DB9 is exactly what I'm talking about, as it also is the case with your XJ12C feeling more nimble. I just can't figure out what possible mechanical reason there is that kind of "slows down" the XJS from such similar brothers as a series II sedan. In fact, once the XJS is on the road at steady speed, it feels exactly the way my XJ12 used to feel, so "straight", so solid longitudinally, as if side winds get totally cancelled out, more like a train on its tracks, a very nice feeling, especially back in the '80's when there was nothing even close to the Jag suspension. I remember making it a habit to compare to business trips rentals and every time I came back to my car at the airport I felt lucky to own such a great feeling/driving car.

Thanks for your feedback!

Cheers,

Sarc (02-25-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
'Tis been 10 years or so since I sold my XJS but I remember it well

I used it mostly as a highway/weekend car....I did a lot of road trips at the time....so the turning circle wasn't much of an issue. I do remember the steering was slightly heavy and very direct....but I preferred it to the overly-light, less direct feel of my XJR/6. Come to think of, the XJS as a whole just has a heavy, substantial feel. My XJR, which actually had a higher curb weight, had an overall lighter feel.

The only thing I remember as being slightly difficult about the car....mine was a coupe....was climbing in and out. Quite a bit more stooping than either my Series III cars or the XJR....which themselves are low-ish as sedans go. The longer XJS doors were a bother at times as well....although now I'm entering into outright nit picking territory. But, again, as a highway car these aspects were of little consequence.

I also recall...now that I'm trying to think of the negatives.... that outward visibility wasn't all that great.

What I remember most vividly was the absolute-rock-solid feel at high speeds, 80-90-100+ mph. Very reassuring. My Series III came somewhat close but, disappointingly, the XJR simply didn't have that reassuring feel at all.

I also found the XJS to be near impervious to side winds...a bit of an added bonus appreciated on those long stretches of open road. Another bonus for the open road was the much maligned tall gearing. Though it blunts of-the-mark acceleration, the ability to use first gear to 65 mph and ....especially...second gear to about 110 mph was actually useful and appreciated. Sprints from 80 mph upward were quite brisk.....though still no match for the supercharged XJR.

One big negative to my '88 XJS was the torture rack driver's seat. These were still the early 'flat' seats. It was terrible....no support under my legs. Whenever I hit the brakes I tended to slide forward and out of the seat. I used 3/4" spacers under the front seat track mounts to elevate the front of the seat. That mere 3/4" increase made a remarkably out-of-proportion improvement in driving comfort.

That's all I can think of at the moment

Cheers
DD
Yes, now that you mention it, my XJS does feel like you're driving a heavier car (feels heavier than my XJR), but mostly at slower speeds because once it gets going it feels just glorious.

In regards to the doors, the fact that they're such long doors, they not always let you open them all the way like the doors in the sedan would. In fact, my XJR is easier getting in and out than that little Z3 and for similar reasons.

I'm fine with the outward visibility on the XJS because it is so much better than that miserable rear view on that (again) little Z3, that I wouldn't doubt that I have run over a dog or a cat with it already....

It's true, my X308 XJR doesn't have that special "train on its tracks" solid feel that my old XJ12 and my current XJS give you. The XJR is a great, fun drive, but it won't give you that typical, so special ride that only that original chassis can give you (series I, II and XJS?).

Finally, yes, the XJS could have better seats, no doubt, but they have improved with the newer cars, although not to the BMW and/or Merc levels.

Well, this may sound like we're picking on the XJS, but we're clearly not. This is only in regards to comparison to similar sized cars and to differences that can't be easily explained.

Thanks for the input, Doug.

Cheers,

Old 02-19-2016, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

Mines Fine in the dry... A really bit of a harry beast in the rain though... I have to be so careful not to let the rear end Kick out on a turn...

we had weather last week and a tornado destroyed quite a path on the north end of the county. SO in a prudent move I stayed home with the family that night... it did get a little loose on the way home... I really have to be more careful with the throttle in turns... in the wet esp.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:14 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

i love my pussycat she is the best car i have ever owned. i have had many cars in my time on this rock. hell i payed maybe $ 8K for the xjs 2 years ago and put like 5k in to her and she still needs maybe like 6 0r 7k more work in to her befoer all is done but hell i love this car she is my baby. best car ever

The following 2 users liked this post by revski666:
Doug (12-08-2017), Greg in France (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 04:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by revski666
i love my pussycat she is the best car i have ever owned. i have had many cars in my time on this rock. hell i payed maybe $ 8K for the xjs 2 years ago and put like 5k in to her and she still needs maybe like 6 0r 7k more work in to her befoer all is done but hell i love this car she is my baby. best car ever
Agree 100%

Old 12-06-2017, 05:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 361 Posts

Similar problem here.

My girlfriend is awesome. She was a supermodel in the eighties. You'd probably recognize her. Very long legs, enourmous... um, presence, and her shape! Nobody, man or woman, that we pass fails to notice her. Here's my problem, She isn't as easy as others I've known. She's very tall, she wears high heels. Like 2.88" ones. She takes forever to get going somewhere. She's kind of high maintainance, and because she's so beautiful and sexy I feel like she deserves only the best. Costing me a pretty penny! And can drink? Let me tell you! Only top shelf of course!

So there you have it men. Please help. What am I to do?

The following 2 users liked this post by JigJag:
Grant Francis (12-06-2017), Greg in France (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 06:43 AM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

You SIR are a lost cause.

That is SO WELL scribed I bloody missed it, and the wife talked me thrugh it, DAMN, am I that OLD??????

Congratulations from waaaaaay down here.

ronbros (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JigJag
Similar problem here.

My girlfriend is awesome. She was a supermodel in the eighties. You'd probably recognize her. Very long legs, enourmous... um, presence, and her shape! Nobody, man or woman, that we pass fails to notice her. Here's my problem, She isn't as easy as others I've known. She's very tall, she wears high heels. Like 2.88" ones. She takes forever to get going somewhere. She's kind of high maintainance, and because she's so beautiful and sexy I feel like she deserves only the best. Costing me a pretty penny! And can drink? Let me tell you! Only top shelf of course!

So there you have it men. Please help. What am I to do?

You can only enjoy the ride and treat the cost with the distain of a gentleman. And, she will never need a facelift!
Greg

ronbros (12-06-2017)

Quick Reply: How easy to drive is the facelift XJS?