XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

How to remove door panel and rear panel

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 10:54 PM
Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default How to remove door panel and rear panel

Hi,
It is time to replace my speakers, head unit and add an amp. All Alpine of course.
I want to do a perfect job so any help with instructions on how to remove the door panels and rear panels would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Jomo

Old 08-16-2014, 02:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,079 Likes on 5,347 Posts

Front door panel: proceed as follows:
  • Disconnect battery
  • Open door and unscrew from the door front end the chrome striker plate that operates the courtesy light switch
  • ease back the chrome ferrule that is round the thin end of the armrest. Under this is a HUGE pozi screw that you must undo
  • under the door pocket front end is a well hidden screw, undo it
  • then go round the door car and pop out the trim clips that hold the card edges in place. Start at the bottom front and work up the front vertical edge to the window, then go along the door bottom and up the rear edge to the window
  • the car is now held in place by a large clip in the middle and by the edge along the window bottom. A GOOD vertical upward sharp clonk with the base opf the hand on the card will pop these free. CAREFUL as the door card is attached to the speaker wires and the courtesy light wires, AND in your case it being the driver's door the mirror switch wires.
  • disconnect these carefully at their plugs. Get someone to hold the card while you do this as you will need two hands.
Rear panel, (like this for the earlier cars) but I have no direct knowledge of the convertible, so see if this helps:
  • remove rear seat bottom (held by two screws under the front edge)
  • remove seat back (held by screws at the bottom and top at the side)
  • this allows the side panels to be fully seen; If the leather runs round the door opening, then pull off the furflex on the back edge of the door shut, and carefully peel back the leather to reveal fixing screws
  • also fixing screws at the top rear of the panel
  • a sharp upwards push should then loosen off the panel from the top edge where it is pushed into the bodywork.
But, as I say you car may have different actual fixings, but they should be obvious once the seats and if needed furflex is off. The seat belt may run through the panel, but I do not think you will have to undo it as you can slide the panel about and get to the speaker.

Greg

Last edited by Greg in France; 08-16-2014 at 02:05 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Greg in France:
NtAFord (08-16-2014), orangeblossom (08-16-2014), Rhett (08-22-2014)
Old 08-16-2014, 06:26 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I actually got all that apart to do some work on the door handle mechanism inside, and put back together "solo" so depending on how talented you are holding things with your knee's, it is possible to do it alone too. :-) Good luck!!

Old 08-16-2014, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Just to add that on late convertibles, they use the "fir-tree" push hidden clips, rather than screws to hold the trim on the b-post. you can usually feel where they are. It's easier if you remove the door tread plate as the trim tucks under. From memory, I don't think you have to remove the door furflex either (but I might be wrong!). It's easier to have the seat base out, but I think you can leave the back in lplace if necessary. There's only one clip on the top part of the trim panel which I thinm is also a spire push-type.

Good luck

Paul

Old 08-22-2014, 04:29 PM
Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Hi,
I just wanted to thank everyone for their perfect instructions on how to remove the door panels. The speakers went in fairly easily. Tomorrow I wire up the amp and sirius radio. The stereo will sound almost as good as the car drives!
I am using all Alpine equipment.
Head Unit CDE-HD149BT
Front Speakers SPR-60C
Rear Speakers SPR-60
Amp MRV-F300
Jomo

The following users liked this post:
Rhett (08-22-2014)
Old 08-22-2014, 04:51 PM
Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts

The Alpine is a really easy install - you can even use the same mounting brackets and screws. I put an Alpine in my '95 some years back. You'll have to match wires but again it's easy. Re the Sirius (I had as well) to keep from drilling holes anywhere use the bracket with the double sided tape and stick it to the veneer panel between the clock and the right hand switches.