XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

How are these springs???

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 09:37 PM
Received 141 Likes on 113 Posts
Default How are these springs???

I want to replace all 6 of my suspension springs. Has anyone used the Eurospare RTC002751 front springs on a 4.0? Is there a better source for the front and rear springs? Are the rear springs different on the 95 & 96 XJS? I have found rear springs for earlier facelift cars but they say they won't fit or work on the 95 & 96 models. This is the last part of my accumulation of parts to rebuild my suspension. Thanks for any help...

Old 09-02-2017, 03:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Ron,

As you probably know, there are almost as many different part numbers for XJS rear springs as there were cars made!

The worrying thing is that they will ALL fit on your car, but they won't necessarily work correctly or sit at the right height.

The correct part number for your car (assuming it left the factory as standard with Sports suspension) is JLM 11311. There are a number of different Jaguar spring part numbers that are apparently identical (or pretty close) in height and rate and can be fitted successfully. However, it seems it's really difficult to be certain of what will or won't work.

As you may remember, I decided that the only way to get my car right was to replace with adjustable-platform height shocks with adjustable damping.

Cheers

Paul

Last edited by ptjs1; 09-02-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Paul is right.

Personally I'd use the original springs unless they're outright broken or sagging beyond hope.

RTC2751 is a V12 spring.....one of many different V12 part numbers.

Over the years Jaguar has 'reconciled' some part numbers and aftermarket vendors have done the same but to an even greater extent. What was originally several unique part numbers and specifications is now one or two part numbers....presumably somewhere in the middle of the specification range so they'll (in theory) work acceptably well in a very wide range of applications. Problem is, they often don't ....and that's why (as often as not) owners replace springs and end up with ride height too high or too low.

When a manufacturer or vendor lists lists one part number (as they often do) for "All XJS 1976-1996", you know something ain't quite right. And RTC2751 seems to be most everyone's part number of choice. It's often shown for Series III sedans, both 6 and 12 cylinder, as well as the XJS.

Cheers
DD

Old 09-02-2017, 09:47 AM
Received 279 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by ptjs1
I decided that the only way to get my car right was to replace with adjustable-platform height shocks with adjustable damping.
Great idea. What shocks did you use?

Old 09-02-2017, 07:09 PM

When I look up rear springs for the 95 I find the 95 & 96 are different than the 94 and earlier cars. How are they different and does that effect other parts like the bushings?

My XJS rides level, but I thought as long as I was in there with everything apart I'd replace them and keep the old ones for prosperity. They are in good condition with no signs of rust. Maybe I am just over doing things.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member

Ron,

I'm not sure where you are looking, but if you just use the Jaguar spares website, you'll see that the Sportspack spring for a 4.0 Coupe is the same part number from 1993 when the plastic bumpers were introduced.

As mentioned, ALL XJS rear springs will physically fit on to the shock mount. The difference is just in the length and spring rate.

The usual indicator of worn rear XJS springs is a drop in the ride height. If yours is absolutely right "with no signs of rust" (Wow, I've no idea how you've kept them that clean?!) I might be tempted to just clean and refit? As you know, changing springs and rear shocks is one of the easier jobs on our cars.

Cheers

Paul

Last edited by ptjs1; 09-03-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by RonaldP

My XJS rides level, but I thought as long as I was in there with everything apart I'd replace them and keep the old ones for prosperity. They are in good condition with no signs of rust. Maybe I am just over doing things.

I would be very tempted to leave well enough alone, personally.

When I needed springs for my V12 conversion I bought good used springs specifically to avoid the all-too-common ride height problems that come with new springs

Cheers
DD

Old 09-05-2017, 03:11 PM

You all have convinced me to keep the springs I have. I will have them powder coated along with all the other parts not being replaced. There is some surface rust in the base pan of the front springs, but I didn't feel any pitting. The whole underside of my XJS is pretty much rust free. exhaust pipes are rusty but that is to be expected.

Old 09-05-2017, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member

Ron,

I thinks that's a good call. As regards the front subframe, if you have any rust at all in the front spring pans, do get it completely sorted. It's a known weak area and not easily visible in situ.

Good luck

Paul