XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Interior door panels-Door Cards

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 06:10 AM
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Interior door panels-Door Cards

Anyone repair or replace the door card backing board? Bottom left corner of the door card is flopping and assumed broken but still being held by the vinyl or whatever the material is glued to it.
I'd rather not have buy an entire replacement if i can fix this one. Any one know what kind if board is used? Anyone done it?
Thanks

Old 01-24-2018, 08:15 AM
Received 465 Likes on 267 Posts

I did both door cards last year as not much left of the original one

I've used a 3.2mm white hardboard.

More pics and howto here:

https://www.xj40.com/viewtopic.php?f...rt=470#p178287

The following 2 users liked this post by katar83:
Andreas Schmieg (01-24-2018), Dr Quail (01-26-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by katar83
I did both door cards last year as not much left of the original one

I've used a 3.2mm white hardboard.

More pics and howto here:

https://www.xj40.com/viewtopic.php?f...rt=470#p178287
Thanks. I'll take a look. I assume these panels are non wood panels

Old 01-24-2018, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 434 Likes on 377 Posts

I'm not sure that you need to quote the reply that's just above yours....

The following users liked this post:
Andreas Schmieg (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 416 Likes on 316 Posts

I suspect that damage is the result of damaged or missing water barriers in the doors.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by malc4d
I'm not sure that you need to quote the reply that's just above yours....
??.. I thought you always include the quote of the person you are replying to. No? as I am doing to you now. Now not sure if I've done something wrong.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mark SF
I suspect that damage is the result of damaged or missing water barriers in the doors.
Water barriers? Not sure what that is..but i did notice there is the grill missing on the opening on the bottom of the door jamb. A black plastic slightly triangular plastic grill thing. Driver's side is missing but it is there on the pass side. Not sure what that is for. Perhps a vent of some kind. ..or access to something .

Old 01-24-2018, 09:53 AM

They are wood panels, its hardboard, same as original.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardboard

Correct on the water damaged. If water keep getting there, they will rot.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

The water barrier he is referring to is fairly thick mil clear plastic sheeting that is glued to the door and sits between the door and the panel. Some water leaks by the seals and drains out the bottom of the door, to prevent damage from this water or any other condensation, the plastic acts as a barrier. Many times they shrink up and cannot be re-used after being removed.

You can buy this sheeting at a home improvement or hardware store.

You can also apply scotch-guard or the like to the panel to help waterproof it even more.

The area I have seen the most damage in pics is towards the speaker. This lines up exactly with the leaks I've seen in my own XJS, which is a weep from the quarter window that develops as the gasket dries up.

You can also use plastic or aluminum for the door card if you'd like, though it can be more difficult to get adhesive to stick to them.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
The water barrier he is referring to is fairly thick mil clear plastic sheeting that is glued to the door and sits between the door and the panel. Some water leaks by the seals and drains out the bottom of the door, to prevent damage from this water or any other condensation, the plastic acts as a barrier. Many times they shrink up and cannot be re-used after being removed.

You can also apply scotch-guard or the like to the panel to help waterproof it even more.

The area I have seen the most damage in pics is towards the speaker. This lines up exactly with the leaks I've seen in my own XJS, which is a weep from the quarter window that develops as the gasket dries up.

You can also use plastic or aluminum for the door card if you'd like, though it can be more difficult to get adhesive to stick to them.
Ah yes, ok, I didn't think that was that was called. yes, I know about the plastic sheet on many doors but I thought it was more for keeping heat in or noise actually. For door leaks, I am not so sure that plastic barrier is going to stop water from traveling down the window and finding its way in between the metal of the door and the back of the door card where it will naturally begin to seep into the backboard. Perhaps the backboard itself should be preserved or impregnated with something to waterproof it. Or use a non wooden back board.

Old 01-24-2018, 02:27 PM

That's why I've used white hardboard, its covered with melamine on one side and all the door stuff on the other, so should last much better than the original hardboard, even if gets wet in there.
My doors are leaking too, still need to investigate but it comes from around the quarter window area for sure. I was thinking its acually door gasket itself but I suppose it might be the quarter window gasket too as rubber is very hard by now.

Old 01-24-2018, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by katar83
That's why I've used white hardboard, its covered with melamine on one side and all the door stuff on the other, so should last much better than the original hardboard, even if gets wet in there.
My doors are leaking too, still need to investigate but it comes from around the quarter window area for sure. I was thinking its acually door gasket itself but I suppose it might be the quarter window gasket too as rubber is very hard by now.
I have a good visible gap between the main door glass and the quarter window vertical seal. Seems the seal is ok, no rips but the door glass just doesn't sit tight to the quarter window glass seal. At cruising speeds, there is wind noise from both passenger and driver's windows where they mate.
Is the door window adjustable angle wise so they meet better/tighter at the quarter window seal?

Old 01-24-2018, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sidescrollin

That's right. The design of the window seals, locks, door handles etc is such that there are always some leaks. The vapour barrier is actually quite essential, yet many times on older cars it is missing or damaged.

Butyl tape works great for sticking the plastic to the door.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Originally Posted by carsnplanes
I have a good visible gap between the main door glass and the quarter window vertical seal. Seems the seal is ok, no rips but the door glass just doesn't sit tight to the quarter window glass seal. At cruising speeds, there is wind noise from both passenger and driver's windows where they mate.
Is the door window adjustable angle wise so they meet better/tighter at the quarter window seal?
No the window is not adjustable. Something is either bent or not installed correctly. Maybe the screws are missing.

When I rebuilt mine someone have filled under the 1/4 window with sealant causing the channel the 1/4 window sits in to rust. the 1/4 window is removable, there is a screw behind the front of window channel at the top and more at the front of the door.

Be careful as the 1/4 window seals break easily in the corners.

Mine still leaks in torrential rain and the bottom of the door card is wet under the speaker. I used builders plastic between the door card and door and it still gets wet.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by warrjon
Mine still leaks in torrential rain and the bottom of the door card is wet under the speaker. I used builders plastic between the door card and door and it still gets wet.

Hi Warren!

I was hoping you might have been successful with that leak there, there must be a way to stop it leaking water in there? My XJS sits outside for the past 4 years soon and without door cards since summer and I can clearly see water very slowly dripping right where the speaker normally is and since the door are closed the carpet at the top of the sill is also wet.
Gap between the door seal and door itself always looked too big to me, despite the door in the right position, I was thinking at some point to maybe move it up by a few mm there? I dont really want to put the new refurbished door cards until I get that leak sorted.

Old 01-25-2018, 02:01 AM
Veteran Member

From my experiments with a hose I suspect it is leaking where the front of the 1/4 window mates to the door. Because there is a very slight step water can seep through.

I thought if filling this area with polyester filler and smooth it off to see if it stops the water ingress.

I am lucky I have a 6 car garage so my XJS is under cover unless I drive it.

Old 01-25-2018, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by warrjon
From my experiments with a hose I suspect it is leaking where the front of the 1/4 window mates to the door. Because there is a very slight step water can seep through.

I thought if filling this area with polyester filler and smooth it off to see if it stops the water ingress.

I am lucky I have a 6 car garage so my XJS is under cover unless I drive it.

I would not have thought coupes were leakers too. I thought leaky windows were limited to just the convertibles. And yes, it's where the front of the 1/4 window meets the back of the door window. They don't seem perfectly aligned from bottom to top.
I think I am looking at the left door while open on a coupe where you are showing the door seal issue you are having.

Last edited by carsnplanes; 01-25-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:54 AM
Banned
Received 260 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by carsnplanes
??.. I thought you always include the quote of the person you are replying to. No? as I am doing to you now. Now not sure if I've done something wrong.
nothing wrong

Old 01-25-2018, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

What does dito mean?

Old 01-25-2018, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member

I just realised you have a convertible and were talking about the rear 1/4 window as the convertibles have frameless windows, DOH

Quick Reply: Interior door panels-Door Cards