XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Jaguar just built an Electric 'e' type!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,846 Likes on 2,663 Posts
Default Jaguar just built an Electric 'e' type!

Hi Guys

Jaguar just built an Electric 'e' type (not in production unfortunately) but just to show what can be done using electric power.

Not really sure if I'd want one although the Power unit looks as if it would be an easy transplant into an XJS.

I put a link to the article on my 'Cherry Blossom' thread here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...2/#post1758937

Old 09-13-2017, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,414 Likes on 5,517 Posts

OB
The way these manufacturers go on, as if the electric motor was some wonderful new breakthrough. For the information of all, the electric motor was invented in the Royal Institution in London by Michael Faraday in 1831, many decades before the internal combustion engine. The electric motor is an absolutely wonderful device, as it needs no gearbox (as it will rev from zero to 100,000 rpm no bother) and astonishingly produces 100% of its torque from the off. It is also very efficient compared with the IC engine (as long as you do not enquires how the electricity is produced).
The problem with electric motors in cars is electricity storage (ie a battery). The contribution to this problem by the car industry from top to bottom is precisely sod all.
Once we have the ability to store electricity efficiently, densely and cheaply, and also to replenish that storage quickly; electric motored cars will be superb and useful. Until that date, we are just being fed B/S, IMO.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Greg

Would you fancy having an electric XJS or do you think that you would find it boring?

As for myself, I think I would miss the exhaust note and the whole driving experience of having a Car with a Combustion engine.

One of the problems being that with an Electric Car you can't hear them coming, a bit like mobility scooters.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Default Videos of Jaguars Electric Concept 'e' type.

Hi Guys

Just found some Videos of Jaguars 'e'type Concept Car.

I've changed my mind I want one in my XJS.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...122634/page72/

Last edited by orangeblossom; 09-13-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,157 Likes on 2,079 Posts

OB,

I suspect that JLR have done it partly to showcase their new Classic workshop facility that they've opened but probably it's all part of the cultural change to electric power with JLR just having announced that all their cars will be electric or hybrid after 2020. The automotive world is changing fast!

However, it does make you wonder if there will be a cultural change towards classic cars. There are a number of companies doing exactly the same thing as JLR - fitting electric power units into classic cars. I recently saw at a respected Classic Car Dealer, a restored classic Porsche 911 which has been fitted with a 100kw electric power plant, although interestingly running with its original 5-speed gearbox. See here:

https://www.classic-chrome.net/cars/...e-plate-silver

There are a number of companies that have sprung up that are dealing in electric classic car conversions, so I think a lot of people are seeing a potential market for it.

So, do I favour one? I really don't think so, there's something about the absence of a real combustion engine (and its sound) that "offends" me, but ask me in 5 years time when I've probably driven quite a few.....

Paul

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ptjs1
OB,

I suspect that JLR have done it partly to showcase their new Classic workshop facility that they've opened but probably it's all part of the cultural change to electric power with JLR just having announced that all their cars will be electric or hybrid after 2020. The automotive world is changing fast!

However, it does make you wonder if there will be a cultural change towards classic cars. There are a number of companies doing exactly the same thing as JLR - fitting electric power units into classic cars. I recently saw at a respected Classic Car Dealer, a restored classic Porsche 911 which has been fitted with a 100kw electric power plant, although interestingly running with its original 5-speed gearbox. See here:

https://www.classic-chrome.net/cars/...e-plate-silver

There are a number of companies that have sprung up that are dealing in electric classic car conversions, so I think a lot of people are seeing a potential market for it.

So, do I favour one? I really don't think so, there's something about the absence of a real combustion engine (and its sound) that "offends" me, but ask me in 5 years time when I've probably driven quite a few.....

Paul
Hi Paul

Now that's what I'd call an interesting sort dilemma to have! and yet another good reason to have Two XJS's

The Acceleration sounds phenomenal, so I would love to have one converted to have the best of both Worlds.

Although there is nothing that quite compares to the thrill of Starting up and driving a V12.

What does Jaguar Classic Car Workshop do?

Just wondering why they decided to set it up.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,157 Likes on 2,079 Posts

The new JLR Classic facility is really impressive. It supports a range of activities from servicing of the classic models (including some dedicated XJ220 bays) through to full restoration of classic JLR products. They are doing full restorations of 50 early 3-door Range Rovers. But the biggest single facility is where they are building the "missing" new XKSS models. They are also offering tours of the facility at £21. I'm booking mine soon!

Paul

The following 2 users liked this post by ptjs1:
Greg in France (09-14-2017), orangeblossom (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 581 Likes on 361 Posts

I have LPs of classic engines from the 40s 50s and 60s. A good stereo and you could believe it's real.

But that dash? No Jagdamn way! Put it back the way it was! Then I'll take one on loan to test out!

orangeblossom (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

I have mixed feelings, I love the eType roaster it was a classic in its day and trying to recreate that now with a car that is exactly the same hmmmmmmmm not sure.

The following 2 users liked this post by warrjon:
Greg in France (09-14-2017), orangeblossom (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Paul

That place sounds amazing!

I wonder how much a full restoration would cost?

Old 09-13-2017, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by warrjon
I have mixed feelings, I love the eType roaster it was a classic in its day and trying to recreate that now with a car that is exactly the same hmmmmmmmm not sure.
Same here lots of mixed feelings, although I wouldn't mind betting that they'll put up the price of Petrol so much, that we won't have much choice but to change to electric.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JigJag
I have LPs of classic engines from the 40s 50s and 60s. A good stereo and you could believe it's real.

But that dash? No Jagdamn way! Put it back the way it was! Then I'll take one on loan to test out!
I agree, that dashboard takes away from the driving experience.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
I wonder how much a full restoration would cost?
I happen to know. Three door "new" Range Rovers are to be sold in the USA for 325,000 USD.
Greg

orangeblossom (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 01:21 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Greg
Would you fancy having an electric XJS or do you think that you would find it boring?
I think a modern car with an electric motor would be a fantastic thing to have once/if the fuel storage problem is solved. The acceleration available from a decent setup would be absolutely unbelievable; the lack of vibration and harshness would be a revelation, the power to weight ratio astonishing.
As you say though, there are known dangers, as people step out in front of them as they are silent, and I expect drivers might nod off.
Of course, the modern world being what it is, they would be governed, satellite tracked and probably driverless; in fact a bland driving pod is the future.
As to an electric XJS? never in a million years, anymore than I want an electric Flying Scotsman. But, if repeat if, the electricity storage problem is solved, magnificent "steam engines" are exactly what our V12 XJSs will be seen as in the future. The late 21st century equivalents of the horse drawn carriage today!

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
cat_as_trophy (09-14-2017), orangeblossom (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 03:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
I think a modern car with an electric motor would be a fantastic thing to have once/if the fuel storage problem is solved. The acceleration available from a decent setup would be absolutely unbelievable; the lack of vibration and harshness would be a revelation, the power to weight ratio astonishing.
As you say though, there are known dangers, as people step out in front of them as they are silent, and I expect drivers might nod off.
Of course, the modern world being what it is, they would be governed, satellite tracked and probably driverless; in fact a bland driving pod is the future.
As to an electric XJS? never in a million years, anymore than I want an electric Flying Scotsman. But, if repeat if, the electricity storage problem is solved, magnificent "steam engines" are exactly what our V12 XJSs will be seen as in the future. The late 21st century equivalents of the horse drawn carriage today!
Hi Greg

I never thought of that but even so I would love to have one of my Cars Converted to try it out, preferably the 6cyl one, to give it a bit more poke.

If you've got to Charge it Six hours I wonder what the electric bill would be, I can imagine it would be quite a bit more than charging up your phone.

Old 09-14-2017, 03:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
I happen to know. Three door "new" Range Rovers are to be sold in the USA for 325,000 USD.
Greg
I wish you hadn't said that Greg, my 'Wheeler Dealer' head just jumped into gear!

Old 09-14-2017, 04:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts

If you've got to charge it six hours I wonder what the electric bill would be, I can imagine it would be quite a bit more than charging up your phone.
Interesting point, but for me and many others, the critical issue is "range" or lack thereof . . . the point I make in a companion thread over on the E-Type forum where this blog is featured, is that such a move reduces the whole function of a GT (eg Jaguar's E-Type, XJS and XK8/R) to a Grand Tour that can take in local shops or the office . . . but little else.

And a 6hr recharge? Figures quoted for the 300Km range Teslar are anywhere from 8-20 hours. For me, that spells my 650Km each way journey to Sydney taking 30-48 hours, where any of my current 1,000Km range Jaguars do it in little more than 6 hours.

I'm a tech fan but, until the storage issue you highlight is resolved to give us a practical "range", then IMHO, this is little more than an interesting thought bubble.

Cheers,

Ken

The following 4 users liked this post by cat_as_trophy:
Flint Ironstag (09-19-2017), Greg in France (09-14-2017), orangeblossom (09-14-2017), warrjon (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member

I have the same problem with an electric car, I live 1100km from Sydney and regularly travel there, it would take me 5 days instead of 12hrs.

Even locally I live 50km from town where I work so travel at least 100km a day just to and from work. Range is the major drawback for any electric vehicle here in Australia where travel distances are much larger than Europe.

Greg in France (09-18-2017), orangeblossom (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Warrjon

By the time they get these things into production, they will probably come out with a fast charging system, like they do for Phones.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member

It is in development now, the military have been developing a storage system that charges like a capacitor (very quickly) and discharges like a battery (very slowly) I expect it is still a few years away from being commercial.

The problem with batteries is the bigger they get the higher the internal resistance is and this is what limits charging time.

Greg in France (09-18-2017), orangeblossom (09-15-2017)

Quick Reply: Jaguar just built an Electric 'e' type!