XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Look what I found in the garage!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,741 Likes on 2,594 Posts
Default Look what I found in the garage!

Under this pile of rubbish 'should be' a very late 1990 XJS V12 Convertible that has not been on the Road or even started up since 2003.

This is the Car that had the ABS problem, which used to make her violently pull to the right.

At the time I didn't know how to fix it and couldn't find anyone else to fix it for me.

No one seemed to have heard of this problem before, and as such were suggesting that I bought a brand new ABS actuator.

Being a Jag, I thought it might be expensive and somewhere in the region of £150-£250 although it certainly came as a bit of a shock, when I was quoted £2,000 just for the part without fitting!

So I laid her up in the garage in 2003 and she hasn't moved a muscle from that day to this.

Except that DJinaustin and Davedental have both had the same problem and both of them managed to fix it themselves, where up until then I had all but given up hope.

But thanks to them, I feel ready to give it a go.

So here She is: 'The Ice Maiden'

Name:  Arctic%20Blue%20001_zpsekwktnvx.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  589.7 KB

Not Started or used on the road since 2003

Name:  Arctic%20Blue%20002_zpsu2nvww28.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  157.1 KB

Last edited by orangeblossom; 04-08-2015 at 04:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
paulyling (04-08-2015)
Old 04-08-2015, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member

one more cover to go!

Name:  Arctic%20Blue%20005_zps3ddxaek3.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  244.2 KB

No point in taking the Cover right off, I don't even know if She'll start

Name:  Arctic%20Blue%20006_zpscf1uvsmt.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  278.0 KB

The following 3 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
o1xjr (04-09-2015), paulyling (04-08-2015), sklimii (04-09-2015)
Old 04-08-2015, 05:31 PM
Received 1,209 Likes on 918 Posts

Cool. Look forward to seeing the progress bro!

orangeblossom (04-08-2015)
Old 04-08-2015, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

Nice going getting the attitude to get it running again. I guess I can understand putting it to the side with that quote, but you are probably going to have a bunch of new problems and money to tackle after sitting for so long.

Did you drain the gas before parking it?
Good luck fixing the ABS!

The following 2 users liked this post by sidescrollin:
orangeblossom (04-08-2015), paulyling (04-08-2015)
Old 04-08-2015, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member

At last I've finally found the keys and now I can open the door!

'Step inside love' My first words to the GF that I was going out with at the time and since I had the roof down, I took along a blanket so that She could keep warm.

Awwww Bless! (considerate moi!)

Name:  Arctic%20Blue%20010_zpsdj4yrjly.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  282.8 KB

That brought back some memories, I can tell you! the glove box was full of Cassette Tapes which cost a fortune back in the day and 'My Oh My' by Aqua was still in the tape player!

Now on to the Boot/Trunk where I jury rigged a Battery that I borrowed off the Merc.

The Boot/Trunk light is ON! and the rear lights are starting to Flash! with a steady Beep from the Immobilizer! (all good news!)

Memories of Summer 2003

We wore those hats on the Beach as we had our Picnic.

Name:  Arctic%20Blue%20007_zpsthc5uzwe.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  585.7 KB

The Battery is Connected, The Boot/Trunk Light is on and the rear lights are starting to Flash, with the Immobilizer bleeping which is making my heart race.

Name:  Arctic%20Blue%20008_zps1jeelltj.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  306.4 KB

She's parked so close to the Garage wall, that I have to climb over the passenger seat to get behind the Wheel, for the very first time in 12 years!

Whadya mean, Of course I took my shoes off!

As I fumble the key into the ignition, I feel so sick with excitement that I think that I am going to pass out!

What if She Starts! What if She doesn't!

At the end of the day, it's only a Bloody Car!

No it most Certainly isn't!

But my head is spinning right now, as I close my eyes wide shut and cannot bear to look, as I turn the Ignition key to Position ONE!

At which point I get the Fright of my Life! as 'Aqua' singing 'My Oh My' blasts out of the Pioneer Speakers!

Its starting to look an awful lot like 12 years ago I forgot to turn the Cassette off!

But now with my eyes open, the Instrument lights are all turned on but not as much as me! as I start to go all Religious and then Start Praying out loud to the 'Jaguar Gods'

Who have every right to be Angry with me, for laying her up for so long!

And so say all of us I hear you say! and quite right too!

If only I'd known how to fix her, She would have been back on the road in no time at all.

Position: TWO is the next one but I cannot bring myself to turn the key!

I'm really over thinking this now, 'What if this?' 'What if that?' I just feel as if I am frozen in time and don't know what to do.

'Pull yourself together just get a grip and turn the blinking Key!'

Resigned to the fact that bad things could happen Here Goes!....

The engine Spins Twice and She Fires! OMG...OMG...OMG!

Straight into fast idle, so I switch her off again and decide to do this a couple of times until the Oil pressure gauge moves.

At which point I leave her running as within 10 seconds the gauge is showing 60psi even more than my Grey Car.

But the owner of 'The Ice Maiden' was a real fanatic and had more Stamps in the Service Book than a Stamp Collector! FMDSH every Six Months!

The Revs have dropped to normal and things are looking good, except the ABS light won't go out (Help with this please Guys!)

So I snick the Shifter into reverse and 'The Ice Maiden' digs her heels in and doesn't want to move!

So I give her just a few more revs and 'The Ice Maiden' starts to back out and back into the light.

Its pretty clear to me the Brakes are binding, so I take it very easy as I back her out onto the grass.

As for the Brakes, they don't seem to be working that well, so good job I'm not going fast.

Then suddenly the Wheels free off and we go shooting backwards, although I have to stand on the Brakes in order to pull her up.

But she creeps in all gears, so that's good!

So now to sort out the problems with which your help and your advice will be Invaluable!

(1) The ABS Light won't go off and stays on all the time.

(2) I've got to rebuild the Brake Actuator with help from Davedental and DJinaustin.

(3) Will I need new Calipers? and if so should I fit them before or after rebuilding the Brake Actuator?

(4) If all goes well 4 X New Pirellis £800

(5) Possible New Calipers £200+New Brake Hoses all round £50

(6) New Battery £60

(7) MOT £55

(8) She might even be worth Insuring!

(9) Wave good bye to another £1,000+

I really need your Help Guys!

Mechanics is not my Strong Suite and it would take me for ever to get anywhere near your level of Expertise!

Last edited by orangeblossom; 04-08-2015 at 08:14 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
paulyling (04-08-2015), sklimii (04-09-2015), SleekJag12 (04-11-2015), texasscot (04-09-2015)
Old 04-08-2015, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
Nice going getting the attitude to get it running again. I guess I can understand putting it to the side with that quote, but you are probably going to have a bunch of new problems and money to tackle after sitting for so long.

Did you drain the gas before parking it?
Good luck fixing the ABS!
Hi Sidescrollin

Yeah! I'm really kind of Ashamed of myself for laying her up for so long but myself and a mate who happened to have exactly the same problem, emailed and phoned round everywhere to find someone to fix it.

But this problem is almost unheard of and that is why nobody seems to know anything about it.

I would have shelled out £500 if push came to shove but £2,000 was more than I paid for my Merc.

So believe me I am going to need your help and that of others to sort this out, if you wouldn't mind helping a non mechanic like me.

In any event I'm ready and willing to have a go and won't let any garage, go anywhere near this baby She's a Minter!

No I didn't drain the Gas, She's still half full of Pre-Unleaded 5 Star!

Old 04-08-2015, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by paulyling
Cool. Look forward to seeing the progress bro!
Me too Bro!

Now I know She's fixable, I'm not giving up!

Although a wealth of Mechanical knowledge, is not what I bring to the Table.

Where is the 'Wizzard of Oz' when you need him with his Magical Wand!

paulyling (04-08-2015)
Old 04-08-2015, 09:12 PM
Received 1,209 Likes on 918 Posts

Dude let me get this right....the battery started after 12 years layover? Wow!

This thread is gonna be cool

orangeblossom (04-09-2015)
Old 04-08-2015, 09:21 PM
Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts

I love getting supposedly broken cars or motorcycles running after they have been left for dead. It Is a thrill when they come back to life. Good job and great description in the original posts!

The following 2 users liked this post by Nookieman:
orangeblossom (04-09-2015), paulyling (04-08-2015)
Old 04-09-2015, 02:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by paulyling
Dude let me get this right....the battery started after 12 years layover? Wow!

This thread is gonna be cool

Hi Bro

Yes! She started on the button! a bit too quick for my liking, as I was hoping she would spin over a few dozen times before bursting into life.

She even started quicker than my Grey one did!

Hard to believe I know after such a long time but the engine just turned over twice and She was away!

'Aqua' Bro! do you remember them? 'My Oh My' was a really great Track, so I will be playing that one in my Grey one.

If you check out the passenger side, you will see that the Carpet looks as though it has been chewed by Rats but that was all down to 'Groupie Girl!'

Although She was fun, She wasn't the one and eventually had to go.

paulyling (04-09-2015)
Old 04-09-2015, 03:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Nookieman
I love getting supposedly broken cars or motorcycles running after they have been left for dead. It Is a thrill when they come back to life. Good job and great description in the original posts!
Hi and Thank You

I have no illusions about how difficult this is going to be.

In theory it looks like only 4 bolts together with a few Brake pipes and then just lift the thing out.

After which the 'fun' starts, as I have no idea at all what I will be looking at when I take the Side cover off the ABS Actuator/Master Cylinder.

Anyone who doesn't open the 'bleed nipples' when they change their brake pads etc, is really playing with fire!

As if fluid goes the wrong way up the System, it only takes a little bit of contamination, to wreak havoc with the ABS.

So last night I left everything soaking in 'The Mixture!' 50% ATF 50% Acetone (perfected by 'Greg in France') who helped me get my Grey Car back on the road.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:39 AM
Received 4,176 Likes on 3,639 Posts

enjoyed reading the play by play - now looking forward to see her running once more!

Old 04-09-2015, 11:06 AM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts

That thing started with 12 year old gas?

Old 04-09-2015, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

Congratulations! starting and moving a success, tape player works, and nice tase in Aqua, Looking forward to your future successes!

keep us posted...

Old 04-09-2015, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Hi OB,

Great to read that you're going to get the old girl back on the road! I'm really looking forward to hearing how you get on! Not that they're worth much, but here's my quick thoughts:

- I think you were lucky this time but DON'T turn off an ecu-fuelled car immediately after starting it, particularly a 1990s Jaguar! They are really prone to throwing conflicting coolant and fuel temp sensor readings to the ecu. Then you usually can't start them again, as the ecus are confused as to whether the car is then hot or cold We've had this happen so many times to club members, often requiring the car to be left, all plugs to be removed and cleaned, engine turned over to blow out fuel etc. If you start the car, always leave it running until its warm. If you need to build up oil pressure, either remove the plugs and turn over the engine, or else at least pull the fuel pump relay and turn the engine over with the plugs in place.

- I would change the engine oil and filter before starting the car again. After 12 years, you really don''t want old oil with it's acidic mix in the car any more. I'd also change the coolant and really examine all the coolant hoses, probably replacing at least top and bottom hoses + the 'stats. Use Jaguar 'stats and don't fit silicone hoses (Just my suggestion!).

- You'll naturally be doing a full brake fluid bleed if you're removing the actuator block. Remember to do the bleed as per Teves and NOT as per Jaguar. Personally, I wouldn't condemn the calipers out of hand. Whilst the actuator block is out, take out the calipers, remove the pistons, check for any corrosion and, if ok, clean them up, grease up the pistons and rubber seals and reassemble. Flush a load of clean fluid through with a syringe or similar and then put them back on the car. For the sake of a few quid, I'd replace the flexi hoses as well.

I'm sure there's other recommisioning work you'll be doing. I'd probably do all fluids such as gearbox + filter and also the rear diff. (Make sure the filler plug undoes before you open the drain plug!) and also check the ignition components. Make sure you really check those tyres for micro-cracking! It's naturally up to you as to how far you go.

Good luck OB!

Paul

Old 04-09-2015, 04:49 PM
Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

You should update your signature to reflect your current stockpile of XJS's. I wonder if there is a hidden Jag in my disaster of a basement.

Good luck with it.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sklimii
enjoyed reading the play by play - now looking forward to see her running once more!
You and me both

I can't wait!

Old 04-09-2015, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bc xj
That thing started with 12 year old gas?
She certainly did!

And a bit too quick for my liking, I was pretty shocked by that I can tell you!

Old 04-09-2015, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jonathan-W
Congratulations! starting and moving a success, tape player works, and nice tase in Aqua, Looking forward to your future successes!

keep us posted...
Thank You,

I only hope that this will be easier than it looks, you only need a couple of nuts that won't undo and you could be there for ever and a day!

Old 04-09-2015, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ptjs1
Hi OB,

Great to read that you're going to get the old girl back on the road! I'm really looking forward to hearing how you get on! Not that they're worth much, but here's my quick thoughts:

- I think you were lucky this time but DON'T turn off an ecu-fuelled car immediately after starting it, particularly a 1990s Jaguar! They are really prone to throwing conflicting coolant and fuel temp sensor readings to the ecu. Then you usually can't start them again, as the ecus are confused as to whether the car is then hot or cold We've had this happen so many times to club members, often requiring the car to be left, all plugs to be removed and cleaned, engine turned over to blow out fuel etc. If you start the car, always leave it running until its warm. If you need to build up oil pressure, either remove the plugs and turn over the engine, or else at least pull the fuel pump relay and turn the engine over with the plugs in place.

- I would change the engine oil and filter before starting the car again. After 12 years, you really don''t want old oil with it's acidic mix in the car any more. I'd also change the coolant and really examine all the coolant hoses, probably replacing at least top and bottom hoses + the 'stats. Use Jaguar 'stats and don't fit silicone hoses (Just my suggestion!).

- You'll naturally be doing a full brake fluid bleed if you're removing the actuator block. Remember to do the bleed as per Teves and NOT as per Jaguar. Personally, I wouldn't condemn the calipers out of hand. Whilst the actuator block is out, take out the calipers, remove the pistons, check for any corrosion and, if ok, clean them up, grease up the pistons and rubber seals and reassemble. Flush a load of clean fluid through with a syringe or similar and then put them back on the car. For the sake of a few quid, I'd replace the flexi hoses as well.

I'm sure there's other recommisioning work you'll be doing. I'd probably do all fluids such as gearbox + filter and also the rear diff. (Make sure the filler plug undoes before you open the drain plug!) and also check the ignition components. Make sure you really check those tyres for micro-cracking! It's naturally up to you as to how far you go.

Good luck OB!

Paul
Hi Paul

In a way I'm glad I didn't know about confusing the Ecu! (lol)

But take your point and will make sure I don't do that again! and so the Jaguar Gods must have been on my side.

The Calipers are Brand New although they were fitted 12 years ago and probably haven't covered 100 Miles before the brakes had started to play up.

But any idea why the ABS light refuses to go off?

Quick Reply: Look what I found in the garage!