XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Loud click when I brake

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 11:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Loud click when I brake

I have noticed a loud single click sound when I brake. I hear it from outside the car when the window is down. My sense is that it is from the front of the car. I do not feel it through the pedal and the car brakes strongly and stops in a straight line. Everything feels normal.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Van

Old 09-20-2017, 12:01 PM
Received 82 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Caliper slap ?

Not sure if this is relevant but I have had similar on another vehicle and my friendly mechanic man had mentioned something known as 'Caliper slap' Not sure what causes it exactly but an afternoon overhaul with some grease sorted it. Might be worth a wheel off to have a look round for anything suspect,loose or broken also.

The following users liked this post:
van883 (09-20-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Post 1988 with ABS?

Old 09-20-2017, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,747 Likes on 2,597 Posts

It could be that the Front Shock Absorber Bushes may need replacing.

Old 09-20-2017, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Daim
Post 1988 with ABS?
Yes. It is an 89 with ABS. No probs with the ABS, though

Old 09-20-2017, 11:55 PM
Veteran Member

Does it click when you a standing still or only in morion?

Reason I am asking: if it clicks while standing, see if someone will press the brake for you while you have the bonnet open.

I think it will be ABS system related, even if it works properly. Consider that the Tebed MK II ABS doesn't technically work like a normal modern ABS setup. It is more so 'special' and works with a bunch of relays, solenoids and co.

So, as an example, when you brake, the ECU actually applies brake pressure to the rear wheels. So that means a solenoid in the valve block of the ABS unit opens. At least IIRC.

So you will have some clicks from the front. The question is, is it actually a valve or something else...

If you can reproduce it up on standing, it would be easier to tell.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:53 AM

Does it click when you a standing still or only in morion?

Reason I am asking: if it clicks while standing, see if someone will press the brake for you while you have the bonnet open.

I think it will be ABS system related, even if it works properly. Consider that the Tebed MK II ABS doesn't technically work like a normal modern ABS setup. It is more so 'special' and works with a bunch of relays, solenoids and co.

So, as an example, when you brake, the ECU actually applies brake pressure to the rear wheels. So that means a solenoid in the valve block of the ABS unit opens. At least IIRC.

So you will have some clicks from the front. The question is, is it actually a valve or something else...

If you can reproduce it up on standing, it would be easier to tell.
Thanks for the reply. It occurs only when moving, probably over 10mph, i.e not in a traffic jam.

Van

Old 09-21-2017, 03:19 AM
Veteran Member

One time or every time you press the brake?

Old 09-21-2017, 03:24 AM

One time or every time you press the brake?
Probably every time I press the brake above traffic jam speeds

Old 09-21-2017, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

A guess from way out there. Some brake pads have a tang. When the lining wears down to a point, the steel tank hits the rotor. Clickety click.
"fix me quick or it will cost you a lot more."

My 88 Tbird did that, but my bad ears didn't hear it. A friend did. Result, new rotors and pads.

Carl

Carl

Old 09-21-2017, 12:11 PM
Received 112 Likes on 86 Posts

Could also be a brake pad moving slightly, had that before.
The material had started to come away from the backing pad, when the brake was applied the metal part of the brake pad moved and hit the caliper carrier causing a "click"

Old 10-04-2017, 12:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brake Accumulator?

Just redid the ABS servo on my '89. I would get a click and you could hear the pump running each time you hit the pedal, and it ended up being due to me needing a new brake accumulator (the black bulb that is hear the firewall on the pass side.) It is gas filled, and helps keep pressure on the hydraulic system. If it has lost its charge and needs to be replaced, the pump will click and run each time you hit the pedal because it is trying to maintain the pressure. Its a pricey part, but you can't be cheap when it comes to the ability to stop the 4000lb beast...

Old 10-05-2017, 01:35 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Van

As you can see there are several plausible options. So I will chip in with mine.

I had a click/clunking noise that occurred from my front passenger side when breaking. However, it was not every time and only when going above a certain speed.

I suspect as twack has mentioned, it was 'caliper slap' as when I came to inspect my brakes, there were no anti rattle clips and the pads were VERY low.

In my case I replaced the pads and brought the correct fitting kit. This sorted the noise out. (see attached photo)

The fact that the noise only occurs when you are driving the car I would suggest rules out the ABS accumulator as if that has failed the relay clicking on would happen regardless of whether the car was in motion or stationary. The same could be said for JagCads equally good suggestion.

Orangeblossom has made a good point regarding the top shock absorber bushes and if you do not know when/if they have been replaced, it might be a good idea to replace these also. This is a very quick and easy job (10 mins a side).

Hope some of this might help and when you do fix it, let us all know what it was!!

Regards
Rob

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (10-06-2017)