XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

My XJR-S

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 02:43 AM
Received 104 Likes on 58 Posts
Default My XJR-S

Hello all, well I finally arrived back in the Jaguar ownership stable at the weekend. I'd been on the lookout for a while for a nice XJS or R-S, and after some advice from members elsewhere decided to go for the R-S. Co-incidentally I found this very nice one at auction In Norfolk so I decided to go for a look. As you'll see from the pics, she is in great condition and after some relentless bidding I finally emerged victorious - having spent more than I had budgeted. The important thing is that I don't feel I overpaid!

I'm in a slightly new position on this one, I had planned on buying one that could be done up, so had lots planned to do to her once purchased, but this one is in such great shape I now wont be doing those jobs, at least not in the short term. There are four things that I want to get done though prior to a driving holiday in France next, but other than the stereo upgrade (to include sat nav) and manual conversion they are sensible maintenance type work, overhaul the Air con and coolant systems if required. Anyhow, i'll stop waffling now - here she is:

Last edited by Beavis; 11-12-2015 at 03:15 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Beavis:
Flint Ironstag (11-12-2015), Sarc (11-23-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 02:58 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Wow! That's HOT! What year is it?

Old 11-12-2015, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Cambo
Wow! That's HOT! What year is it?
Hi Cambo, it's a 1992. I'm a little sketchy on the detail as I only briefly viewed it at the auction. As far as I understand it, it was dry stored in 2005 with around 52k on the clock. 10 yrs later a chap (who I assume picked it up really cheap) spends 4k recommissioning it then puts it through auction. So a genuine low miler. :-)

Old 11-12-2015, 08:49 AM
Received 313 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Beavis
Hello all, well I finally arrived back in the Jaguar ownership stable at the weekend. I'd been on the lookout for a while for a nice XJS or R-S, and after some advice from members elsewhere decided to go for the R-S. Co-incidentally I found this very nice one at auction In Norfolk so I decided to go for a look. As you'll see from the pics, she is in great condition and after some relentless bidding I finally emerged victorious - having spent more than I had budgeted. The important thing is that I don't feel I overpaid!

Congratulations on a beautiful XJS.

I really like the interior color. Can you post a photo of the data label from the door pillar? I'd like to see the color codes for the interior and exterior.

Thanks!

Mark

Old 11-14-2015, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Beavis,

Congrats on the purchase. Facelift XJR-S is a great car! I'd strongly suggest that you join the Jaguar Enthusiasts Club www.jec.org.uk

The paint and trim codes on a facelift XJR-S are on a sticker above the LH headlamp, visible with the bonnet open, not on the B-post.

Cheers

Paul

Old 11-16-2015, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Safari
Congratulations on a beautiful XJS.

I really like the interior color. Can you post a photo of the data label from the door pillar? I'd like to see the color codes for the interior and exterior.

Thanks!

Mark
I most certainly will once I get my hands on the old girl. I can tell you the colour is 'Black Cherry' - as I had my now ex Super V8 painted that colour. The interior according to the brochure is 'cream' - but i'll take a pic of the label when I get her back.
She's booked in for a manual conversion so I wont be seeing her for a few weeks! Pics and info to follow in due course ;-)

In the meantime here's another one of her at the Auction house awaiting collection.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:07 AM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Talking

IShe's booked in for a manual conversion so I wont be seeing her for a few weeks! Pics and info to follow in due course ;-)

In the meantime here's another one of her at the Auction house awaiting collection.
Gorgeous XJR-S!

10 years ago I sold a Flamenco Red XJR-S when I bought a 6.0ltr 2+2 convertible.

Just out of interest, which company are you entrusting the manual conversion to & which manual box (Getrag, Tremec, Richmond etc) is being used?

Rgds.

A.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by bigpigpants
Gorgeous XJR-S!

10 years ago I sold a Flamenco Red XJR-S when I bought a 6.0ltr 2+2 convertible.

Just out of interest, which company are you entrusting the manual conversion to & which manual box (Getrag, Tremec, Richmond etc) is being used?

Rgds.

A.
Hi, it's going (gone actually) to Alders Classis nr. Norwich. He's done quite a few conversions and is also currently restoring a lister. Really nice chap and very helpful!

I'm putting the Getrag box in for ease of access to parts...

Old 12-07-2015, 04:08 PM

Been thinking about changing the wheels on my car since all four tyres need changing (due to age). I've read up on the many threads here on tyre size and as far as I can make out I can replace my 'standard' tyres and wheels with the following:

Front
8xET20 5X120.65
235 40 18

Rear
8XET35 5X120.65
255 40 18

Details input into website:

I like the idea of finding some 'standard' looking wheels and have found these, although not in white:

Am I correct in my assumptions? It should mean extra rubber on the road while providing a slightly more aggressive look. There is also a wide selection of tyres available in these sizes.

Cheers

Rich

Old 12-14-2015, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

Personally I'd keep the "standard" wheels because they are bespoke XJR-S........... but anyway

2 questions :

1. What is the website you show in the screenshot ? (That seems to be a very useful program)

2. Any chance you could take a picture of the air intake set up on the XJR-S ? In one of the first pictures I can see there is something like a flexible sock on the air box going forward, but I can't see where it goes after that...... I have seen the intakes on the 6.0 XJS and they go to a hole in the front panel above the radiator and pick up cold air from there...... are yours doing the same thing ?

Old 12-14-2015, 12:40 PM

Hi Sarc

I have thought about keeping the standard wheels, indeed I'm intending on restoring them and just using them for shows. The 'replacement' wheels therefore will be my road wheels which given the availability of the standard size is no bad thing.

I cant get you a pic at present, as she's away at a garage being looked after - or actually attending to her age related issues. I'm hopefully going to fit in a trip to the garage next week when I'll get a picture. My understanding though is that the XJR-S intake feeds are special to the XJR-S as it has a different radiator top (part number SPB 1164). I'm pretty sure I've read about someone changing theirs for this crossmember. They are fed with cold air directly from the front grille. They differ to the later 6.0 intake which I think join in the middle of the radiator top crossmember. Anyhow - i'll take a pic next week for you.

As for your other question - yeah, it's a good site: Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit

All the best,

Rich

The following users liked this post:
Sarc (12-17-2015)
Old 12-17-2015, 04:39 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Sarc

I have thought about keeping the standard wheels, indeed I'm intending on restoring them and just using them for shows. The 'replacement' wheels therefore will be my road wheels which given the availability of the standard size is no bad thing.

I cant get you a pic at present, as she's away at a garage being looked after - or actually attending to her age related issues. I'm hopefully going to fit in a trip to the garage next week when I'll get a picture. My understanding though is that the XJR-S intake feeds are special to the XJR-S as it has a different radiator top (part number SPB 1164). I'm pretty sure I've read about someone changing theirs for this crossmember. They are fed with cold air directly from the front grille. They differ to the later 6.0 intake which I think join in the middle of the radiator top crossmember. Anyhow - i'll take a pic next week for you.

As for your other question - yeah, it's a good site: Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit

All the best,

Rich
@Rich

Great, thanks. Please show me as officially jealous on your XJR-S. That is definitely on my bucket list...... but I have to digest my recent XJ12C purchase first before I can think about anything else :-)

Old 12-24-2015, 07:42 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

very nice car
looks great

Old 02-03-2016, 11:16 AM
Post xjr-s update

Hi all,

As some of you know I have now picked up my car after the manual conversion work was completed a few weeks ago. It’s taken a while to get round to updating here but thought I’d also advise on what else we found\did during the conversion.

As I bought the car at auction I was unable to drive it, so David of Alders classics kindly picked it up for me. Initial drive back was disaster free however he noted several items that we put at the top of the list. The immobiliser that was fitted was something of a pain, and causing quite a drain on the now dead battery. So this was top of the list for removal, also noted on that maiden drive was some rather vague steering which was put down to the steering mounts. The mounts were likewise added to the list.

A couple of weeks passed before David was able to start work on the car, but top of the list for sorting was the immobiliser. Several house later and the immobiliser was gone.

The collection of parts was amassing as the necessary bits arrived for the manual conversion, new flywheel, ski slope, APRacing clutch etc etc

Once the car was up on the ramp a more thorough investigation could take place underneath – something I wasn’t able to do at the auction and hence missed a few things. As it turns out there was a few more issues to rectify than I thought including anti roll bar droplink bushes, Oil leak from engine and diff, front and rear radius arm bushes very worn and a couple of rust holes behind the airboxes each side. These were nearly all added to the to do list. And I’ll come back to them in a bit.

The orders were placed for the various parts that were needed, so the first job to be tackled was the new droplinks.

Investigation took place on the rear crank seal which thankfully wasn’t leaking after all, turned out to be the main sump gasket, which was visibly leaking from one corner. With that focus was returned to the gearbox conversion where the old 3 speed was removed, the adapter plate, flywheel and clutch installed.

Gearbox installation was completed, so we moved onto some of those problem areas that were found. The plates were welded behind the airboxes (something of a pain to weld I’m told!). We also fitted new UJ’s to the prop while we had the opportunity.

The finishing touches were now being done to the manual conversion and a plethora of other small items were being sorted. We put new oil in and new brake fluid, all the grease nipples were gifted additional grease.

The rear radius arms were removed, stripped and painted up before the new Polybushes were applied then refitted.

At last it was test drive time, which given the bush replacements unsurprisingly showed up some tracking issues, so she was booked in to a MOT test centre to get the tracking and camber all properly aligned. The test drive also threw up some knocking from the rear which turned out to be the rear cage mounts, so these were also replaced. Once these and new track rod ends were fitted she went off for the tracking.

So all in all an expensive first trip to the garage, but I now have a very sorted R-S, and importantly I have a plan for further work that’s required with a brilliant garage I can trust.

Next up for me will be some new alloys and tyres – required urgently, then some small updates with LED bulbs. Later this year she’ll go back for a rear suspension overhaul, and a front the year after. In the meantime I shall enjoy her ability to drink fuel at an alarming rate ;-)

The following 2 users liked this post by Beavis:
NorJag (02-06-2016), Sarc (02-04-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 03:44 AM
Veteran Member

@Beavis

Thanks for the update. It makes a huge difference when you find a garage you can trust.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,921 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarc
@Beavis

Thanks for the update. It makes a huge difference when you find a garage you can trust.
Absolutely; David has had loads of practice sorting mine out for the last 3 years!

Old 02-12-2016, 08:49 AM

@Sarc - sorry its taken so long to get this for you...

@Safari - as requested

Now with her correct plates on..

Old 02-13-2016, 05:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,599 Posts

What's the Story on the Number Plate? did you have it put by on Retention or something, it really looks great on your Car.

While I know you don't buy an XJS with economy in mind, what sort of MPG are you hoping to get?

6L engine+manual box, I'm guessing around 12mpg.

Old 02-13-2016, 05:36 PM

Hi orangeblossom,

The reg was originally on the car before it went to auction but the previous owner decided to split them to maximise income. It worked :-( Anyhow, he offered to me as the winning bidder and I decided that I needed to keep the reg with the car.

Cant really say too much on the mpg at present as I've not done many miles - she's awaiting new boots (Monday) after which i'll be looking forward to a bit of cruising!

Old 02-13-2016, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,599 Posts

Hi Beavis

The new boots will be very interesting, to those of us still running original 15 inch.