XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Mysterious Pool of Water in Trunk RH side well

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 01:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 668 Posts
Question Mysterious Pool of Water in Trunk RH side well

Yes, it's me with yet another problem. This evening I was fossicking around in the trunk, and pulled out the tools I keep in the small pocket thing that's formed on the right-hand side of the trunk (looking forwards), separated from the main trunk by the part where the exhaust pipes go. I discovered a small pool of water there, about a cm deep perhaps (had to use fingers to check). It wasn't fuel, as there was no smell or colour, and while I didn't taste it, it definitely appeared to be water. Looking underneath, I saw a vent pipe outlet, but that appears to be connected to the pipe that runs down right at the front of that small pocket/well area.

Wondering if that was a drain, I inserted a screwdriver, which stopped about two inches in - on the other (LH) side it went all the way in. It's possible this pipe is a drain and it's blocked and the internal joint is loose and the water's spilling out, but a drain from where? The roof drains along the boot channel, and I have no idea how water could get in where it did, and so much.

It seemed pretty recent, as the carpets are fine, if damp, and I soaked up the water in there using towels, but how on earth did it get there, and how can I make sure it doesn't get there again? Drilling a small hole at the very lowest part is a possibility of course, but obviously I'd prefer to find out what caused this mysterious pool....

Old 01-04-2017, 02:44 AM
Veteran Member

I think the pipe that comes down into that area is this one labelled "2" on the diagram.

For what it's worth, there is no fuel smell in my boot at all. And I hope probing with the screwdriver didn't dislodge the connector (5).... (I could feel the assembly with my fingers later when mopping up, and it seemed intact.)

Old 01-04-2017, 03:29 AM
Received 10,313 Likes on 6,823 Posts

Yep boot lip drain hose.

Very common to be clogged. I usually poke a flexible wire (the stuff curtains are hung on works for me) up from the bottom, and keep my face clear of the outlet.

Usually leaves and other tree stuff.

The following users liked this post:
Some Day, Some Day (01-04-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 03:49 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks. I'm still a little confused. I got the diagram from "Fuel Aperture Seal and Hoses" on JCP, so is that hose in fact nothing to do with the fuel system?
Fuel Aperture Seal and Hoses - Parts For XJS from (V)179737 to (V)226645 | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

Thanks to being told what the name of the pipe is, I found this in Kirby Palm's book:
If your back window rubbers are softening check for:
accumulation of water in the deep wells on either side of the boot (trunk).
I think in my case it's the opposite, but I shall check the back window rubber.

Also, I read in the March 1984 TSB that the aerial fitting can leak - something JagBits also says:
http://www.jagbits.com/a10antennamast.html
So I'll check that too. I've been using the aerial a few times lately, trying to see if the radio can get any stations worth listening to (no - very few stations and poor reception). And it's been wet here....

Last edited by Some Day, Some Day; 01-04-2017 at 04:19 AM.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:04 AM
Received 10,313 Likes on 6,823 Posts

Mine were all 1985ish XJ-S Coupes.

There are drain hoses on each side. The LH has the Y and takes up the water drain from the fuel flap aperture.

The RH just drops down past the ECU and out the bottom.

NOTHING to do with fuel tank vented at all. Nothing to do with fuel, unless stupid overfills the tank and fuel splashes in the aperture and will run down and out via the Y joiner.

Your 1992 is pre body facelift, and should be the same I reckon.

EDIT:

Since my ADSL is running at a blistering 22kb/s tonight, it took a while to get the Parts Pages to load.

It lists all those hoses for Vin 172600 Onwards???. I do not remember my cars vin, but it had those hoses, coz they leaked also.

The 1978 PreHE also had them, well should have, but they were AWOL, until I fitted some.

They assist the drain around the boot seal etc, and I have no idea of the effectiveness of them in the big scheme, except to fill the boot sides with water.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 01-04-2017 at 05:18 AM.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:14 AM
Veteran Member

Okay, so because it drains the fuel flap aperture, that's why it's shown on that page. Confusing labelling....

My 1992 is post-facelift, if that makes a difference. Unless you mean pre- the bigger body-coloured bumpers. But it definitely seems the same. I'll try and find a suitable piece of wire for probing....

Old 01-04-2017, 07:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,092 Likes on 5,355 Posts

If you look carefully at the indentation between the boot seal and the body, this runs round the entire boot aperture, you will see a small hole in it roughly level with the bottom corner of the glass. This is connected on the RHS by a rubber pipe directly to a spigot in the bottom of the outer wing (the bit you shoved your hand into). The pipe might be shot, it might be disconnected from the spigot at the bottom, it might be blocked etc etc. Blowing it through with compressed air a good idea, and finding out if it is properly connected each end important also. You should be able to feel the air exiting the hole under the outer rear wing curve when it is clear. This area MUST be dried and the drain made to work and then be rust protected.
The LHS is basically the same, but as grant said, has a Y piece to drain the tank filler hole too.
Greg

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
Grant Francis (01-05-2017), Some Day, Some Day (01-04-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member

Ah, I think I know the hole you mention. I always thought that came down from the roof, though of course the roof water comes down the side gutters.
I'll check that, and see if the connections are good. I think removing the interior trim in the boot should expose most of the pipe. I'll get some decent rust protection spray or paint or something for it.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Some Day, Some Day
Ah, I think I know the hole you mention. I always thought that came down from the roof, though of course the roof water comes down the side gutters.
I'll check that, and see if the connections are good. I think removing the interior trim in the boot should expose most of the pipe. I'll get some decent rust protection spray or paint or something for it.
Good plan. Ensure the gap is BONE dry, then rust killer and let it dry, then spray some rust preventing paint, then spray wax when paint dries. The bottom seam is the dangerous part for rust, that is why it must be really dry to begin with.
Greg

Old 01-04-2017, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks muchly. Things to add to my next shopping list for another visit to the car supply shop.... For the anti-rust stuff, I can get anti-rust paint, and should be able to get Waxoyl as well.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks muchly. Things to add to my next shopping list for another visit to the car supply shop.... For the anti-rust stuff, I can get anti-rust paint, and should be able to get Waxoyl as well.
This is the rust killer that actually works brilliantly:
Aquasteel ? rust treatment, rust converter for cars, ship rust treatment paint, anti rust treatment, rust water treatment, metal rust treatment, rust treatment products, rust remover
My serious advice is not to skimp and use this, then any decent anti rust paint, then some dinitrol or whatever wax (the latter two can be had in easy to apply aerosols). The Aquasteel you just paint on and let it dry, applying all over the area all along its length. The cost of fixing a rusty XJS panel is just astronomical, always assuming you can find someone decent to do the work. Do both sides, of course.
Greg

Some Day, Some Day (01-04-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member

I don't know if I can find Aquasteel in Japan (a quick search turns up nothing), but I know I can get something similar, that turns the rust into a harmless black substance. Rust converters.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:26 AM
Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

Worth mentioning that, on my car at least, there was a second drain opening in the rear RH lower quarter panel area, approximately 15cm further rearward from the drain hole which connects to the boot/rear window guttering.

This second one was fed from the bottom of the electric aerial housing.

ALL the rear drain holes on my car were covered over with filler - which was strange as these panels are all original & not mega rusty so I don't know why they felt the need to do that - thanks previous restorers
I had to drill small holes from underneath to try & 'find' the holes again to open them back up.

Old 01-05-2017, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member

Most odd indeed. I'll have a look for another drain hole, thanks.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 718 Likes on 552 Posts

Water collecting in my right side well of the trunk was coming in through the antenna grommet.

Some Day, Some Day (01-05-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member

To be honest, that's my suspicion, too. I never noticed any before I started using the antenna, very recently (once I decided to try out the stereo and located the radio code), and I definitely used it in rain.
Closed, I can't see anywhere for it to get in (the grommet appears tight), but raised might be a different story. I didn't detect any wetness around the antenna motor and that area, however. I'm going to keep an eye on things, however.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:48 AM

Most odd indeed. I'll have a look for another drain hole, thanks.
Here's some pics if it helps. first looking directly down, second towards rear or car:

This may have been something added later in XJS production, but i'd check the bottom of your electric aerial to see if it has that white angled water drain point. if so, take some hose & join it to the lower part of the main gutter drain with a reducing tee. That way you won't have to drill the bodywork.

Some Day, Some Day (01-06-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 03:08 AM
Veteran Member

It would be a good plan get some AquaSteel, followed by paint and wax, in that seam double quick, Asdrew! That is a classic shot of how rust starts in seams.
Greg

Old 01-06-2017, 03:27 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the pics. I'll take a look tomorrow morning. I'm pretty sure I don't have it, though, as when I was groping around, the only tube I felt was the one from the rear window drain. Unless it was concealed under the carpeting, though I did pull that up a bit. This is where a small camera would come in useful....

And, while I've only felt my seam, it felt smooth and painted everywhere I could feel. I'll see if my old small camera can still be charged so I can try and get some shots to make sure....

Old 01-06-2017, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Greg in France
It would be a good plan get some AquaSteel, followed by paint and wax, in that seam double quick, Asdrew! That is a classic shot of how rust starts in seams.
Greg
Yes, its on my list of things to do, just not had the time yet... Thankfully I have it garaged so shouldn't deteriorate. I got a flexi attachment for my Dremel so was going to try & get right in there first to grind it back to bright steel where I can.