XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Opinions wanted on cooling a 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 05:01 PM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Opinions wanted on cooling a 5.3

'ello everyone.
When I purchased my 91 5.3, someone in its past has removed the engine driven fan and replaced it with a 16" electric fan. The auxiliary electric fan is still there.
My question is:
Would you replaced the engine driven fan? Or stay with the electric?

I'm not sure what I want to do at this point. It was left sit because it overheated in traffic. It would seem that a fair amount of money was spent chasing what I think was just blocked airflow from debris that was allowed to accumulate between the condenser and radiator.
The whole engine driven fan is gone, the bearing housing, fan, clutch, and shroud.
Thanks

Old 03-11-2018, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,599 Posts

Hi 71

From the way you have described things, its sounding like a 'Sticking Plaster' has been used to cover a 'Big Problem'

Many of us get Paranoid, if the needle on the Temp Gauge Barrel ever moves over half way

As a V12 Engine that's been 'Cooked' can be 'The Kiss of Death'

With the possibility of a dropped Valve at sometime in the future, though hopefully you'll get away with it

I'd never buy an XJS with a V12 that had been 'Cooked' or you could end up with a very expensive Parts Car

First and foremost it would seem the problem is with the Rad, which could be in need of a Re-Core but as far as the Fan is Concerned

I fitted Twin Electric Fans in my Car 'Cherry Blossom' but went back to a Mechanical Fan, as it made my XJS

Sound like a Sewing Machine!

Having said that, many have Switched to Electric Fans and are happy with the results but before you decide which way to jump

You need to ensure the Radiator has been sorted out, as the space between the Condenser and the Radiator

Gets blocked with debris as you have found out

Just be very careful that you do not damage the Core

Old 03-11-2018, 06:43 PM

borescope inspection shows the inside of the radiator to be very clean

and yea, I bought it knowing that it could possibly need the heads to come off and bought it at a price reflective of that.

At this point I am cautiously optimistic that they will not, unless they "tick" when I finally get it running.

Steve
AKA 71 MKIV
91 Jaguar XJS convertible classic edition
71 Spitfire MKIV

Old 03-11-2018, 06:55 PM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

All mine have been twin Ford Thermo since 1995ish.

NO issues at all.

As for fan noise, NOPE, but that would depend on the fans fitted, and the blade design.

Sorting the rest of that cooling system first is paramount, as Alex has mentioned.

Our Summers are 45C+ and the V12's are fine.

These are good reading in my opinion:

Bleeding the V12 cooling system.pdf

Cooling system upgrade.doc

V12 thermostat fiasco explained.pdf

The following 2 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
Greg in France (03-12-2018), orangeblossom (03-12-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 416 Likes on 316 Posts

The usual problem is that the fan clutch gets weak with age, then you have an engine that overheats chronically when going slowly. At this point, either replacing the clutch, or installing an electric fan, fixes it. Which one you do, depends on preference. However, even a 16" electric fan doesn't shift as much air as a properly working mechanical fan.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mark SF:
Greg in France (03-12-2018), orangeblossom (03-12-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,056 Likes on 2,031 Posts

The usual problem I have found with V12's is debris gets in between the AC condenser and the radiator and blocks the airflow. The only real way inspect and clean is to remove the radiator and inspect. It absolutely cannot be done with the rad in the car.

I don't have temps as high as Grant does, but I have had the car is 40C heat with the stock mechanical fan and it was fine. The system will cool the engine if everything is in good working order, but often things degrade and people don't address the fundamentals before condemning the stock system.

Electric fans have a lot of variance in efficiency, the PO of mine put in electric fans and I still had chronic overheating. I took everything out, found the rad was 80% blocked. With a clean rad, I put back a mechanical fan and then the car cooled. I could stand beside the car at idle and feel the flow of hot air coming out from underneath. I couldn't feel any air movement with the electric fans he had put in.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jagboi64:
Grant Francis (03-12-2018), Greg in France (03-12-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 11:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 364 Posts

I ran a gallon of Metal Rescue in my cooling system in addition to fitting a semi-truck size full flow spin-on coolant filtration system, between the suspended rust bits and grey silt paste I must of pulled atleast a coffee mug's worth of crap out, resolved the overheating issue right quick. Mechanical fans are fine just make sure you don't have cracks in the fan or it will disassemble and shred the engine at 4500rpm.

I also must recommend buying OEM coolant caps from Jaguar in the UK, they're the best possible ones you can tell by how heavy and solid they are.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

While the radiator is out I would have it re-cored or rod cleaned. They get gunked up inside from years of Jaguar additives and other crap.

I also have Ford efans and they do a good job of cooling the V12 in our hot +40°C summers. My take is -OEM's spend a lot on R&D so if you install fans from a car that has similar or more power you will be fine.

The following 2 users liked this post by warrjon:
Grant Francis (03-12-2018), Greg in France (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 01:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 416 Likes on 316 Posts

Part of the problem is that the popular spin test for fan clutches is kind of useless. You can get a laser tachometer on EBay for $10. Proper test procedure here :

http://fanclutch.com/PicsDocs/BorgWa...ives_Only).pdf

Old 03-12-2018, 01:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Everyone here has an opinion on cooling. MY opinion is, that the original cooling setup is more than sufficientm it was tested worldwide under some of the most harsh conditions.

The most important part of the cooling system is the maintance. Keep it up to spec and the engine will not overheat. I'd recommend a coolant change every 2 years. New thermostats every so often. Make sure the area between the radiators is clear and all will be fine.

The V8 will drop the valve seats more commonly than the V12. But people don't go through the same effort as people do for the less prone v12...

Old 03-12-2018, 02:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,091 Likes on 5,354 Posts

Originally Posted by 71 MKIV
'ello everyone.
When I purchased my 91 5.3, someone in its past has removed the engine driven fan and replaced it with a 16" electric fan. The auxiliary electric fan is still there.
My question is:
Would you replaced the engine driven fan? Or stay with the electric?
AN electric main fan is fine, if, and only if:
  • It is a really high quality item made by a top notch fan maker such as SPAL, or an OEM item from a top notch car such as a Merc of BMW, or modern Jaguar
  • It is at least 16 inches in diameter, preferably 17,
  • It draws at least 23 amps when running. That is to say a Proper Big Fan, less power will not do the job in extreme conditions, and
  • You fit a reliable controlling system to activate it when required.
My experience is that Grant's fan system (see his attachments to his post above) is the absolute best, and I have it on my car. The OEM system, as long as the rad/condenser is regularly cleaned out (which also applies if you have an electric fan) and as others have said above, the fan clutch is renewed is absolutely fine.
I have found that the advantages of an electric fan (if all conditions above are met) are improved fuel consumption; noticeably less engine bay noise, better cooling at low speeds/traffic; one drive belt gone, and better access to the front of the engine.

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
Grant Francis (03-12-2018), ronbros (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 02:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,091 Likes on 5,354 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
I fitted Twin Electric Fans in my Car 'Cherry Blossom' but went back to a Mechanical Fan, as it made my XJS

Sound like a Sewing Machine!
But, OB, you had them running full blast all the time with no controller! But I agree with the rest of your points!
Cheers
Greg

Old 03-12-2018, 03:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,599 Posts

Hi Greg

During initial R&D I experimented with just one of the Twin Electric Fans running and She still sounded like a Sewing Machine

So I went back to a Mechanical Fan and all is good so far

Old 03-12-2018, 03:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

My efans are slightly louder at idle than the original mechanical fan but I have them running flat out all the time, I'll add 2 speeds when I pull the engine. Although they are not intrusive.

You can add a low speed with BIG metal case resistor and a relay to switch it in (and out) with a thermoswitch.

I also found the Ford fans at a wrecker for $50 and this was wayyy less than replacing the original fan.

You are right about the current draw Greg, the Ford fans draw about 80amps as they start and I have 40 amp fuses in each side as this is what Ford used.

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (03-13-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 05:36 AM

thanks to everyone so far.
So more questions, Grant, Do you remember what fans you put in? and are they available here in the US or are they some Australian domestic stuff, and same with the thermostats. I really appreciate the work you've put in, but the parts houses around here look at me funny when I give them those part numbers, and tell them they are for a Peugeot.

With the twin cooling fans, have you found the alternator to be adequate?

I'm still in the "so what have I bought here" phase, so there's still time.

Steve
71 Triumph Spitfire

Old 03-12-2018, 06:13 AM

The fans I use/used were from a 1996 EF Falcon Taxi Spec Aussie car.

This is a snap of the fans I used.

Name:  EF Falcon fan snap.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  4.9 KB

BUT,

They are NLA from Ford, and teh Chinese stuff is crap.

BUT #2

Since then MANY cars a Efan cooled, and there a hundreds of options. Like already said, look at the fan pack from a similar HP car. remembering HP is heat.

Some report using the Jag X300 Efan unit, but I doubt it will fit as easy as the Ford unit, that basically slid straight in.

Damn you guys have it tough with spare parts idiots. I have a Gates stat cross over somewhere, and when I find it I will give you a USA Part #. Dont hold your breath, you will go Blue, as I am back to 6 day working weeks again.

I replaced the alternator with an XJ40 Bosch 120 amp earlier in the time, coz the Lucas went AWOL. Plenty of ***** in that for anything you want to run. Again, alternators are simple to upgrade, just get WAAAAAAY outside the Jag box and look at it from many angles. The single V drive is NOT a hurdle, just a pulley change.

Wondering what you got??????????, maaaaate, you got a Jag, and a V12 to boot. You are part of a RARE breed of humans, and you will need a sense of humour to survive, but survive you will.

My main advice is" DO NOT overthink anything, these are SIMPLE cars, and that is fact. Abused, neglected, uncared for, YES, and that is why we own them now.

The following 2 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
Greg in France (03-13-2018), ronbros (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 06:25 AM

Found it.

Product | Gates

On the right is a long list of cars that also use this stat, and some will be in the USA.

That is the Gates OZ part #, and is teh 82C number.

Old 03-12-2018, 07:07 AM

this making a living thing always gets in the way don't it? I can have the cash to play only by working during the time I have to play. Have a little struggle doing both at the same time.

Yea, all the horror stories, it's still a mechanical thing, and once I started separating it into systems, wasn't so bad. Mine sat for 6 years, so I wanted to make sure of some things before attempting to start it.

Thanks for the part numbers, I'll do some snousing and see what I come up with.

Steve
71 Triumph Spitfire MKIV
"Never underestimate the perversity of an inanimate object"

The following 2 users liked this post by 71 MKIV:
Grant Francis (03-12-2018), warrjon (03-13-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

For what its worth, I drive daily in Florida with the (mostly) factory system. The only "mod" is that I replaced the electric fan when it died with a newer style, but still 11" or whatever it is.

I have small leaks at the top hats, so if my car ever starts to run warm is because coolant is low or something is broken, like a T-stat or fan clutch. Either way, it runs just fine in 100 degree weather with the stock system, it just needs to be all in working order.

From my own experience, I would guess that 90% of overheating XJS problems are from the thermostats going out.

The following 2 users liked this post by sidescrollin:
Daim (03-12-2018), Greg in France (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 01:58 AM
Received 95 Likes on 50 Posts

Hi Steve

I did my cooling system up based on advise from Grant Francis....ford twin thermos, stuck with the 1 - 1/2 pass brass copper system and the thermostats recommended by Grant.

Of note in my adventure was that the coolant hoses, thermo's etc were all in serviceable condition...even the rad cores were OK...see the attached photo of the externals of the radiator when i pulled it.....this would not have got me through and Australian summer.....!

anyway .....everything was renewed in the heating and cooling system ...yep heater hoses.....water rails - changed to copper....etc....and the needle sticks on half way .....and boy does she give off some heat in summer....

Pretty much followed the advise of the form members

all good

Darren

Attached Thumbnails Opinions wanted on cooling a 5.3-img_1888.jpg   Opinions wanted on cooling a 5.3-img_1928.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (03-13-2018)

Quick Reply: Opinions wanted on cooling a 5.3