XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

The perils of 2nd hand car ownership

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 04:57 AM
Received 227 Likes on 147 Posts
Default The perils of 2nd hand car ownership

This thread has been written by reading Vee’s post after getting his XJS back on the road – and still needing his seat repairs. (I am presently sourcing new front seats for mine)

When I brought my XJS – I had the idea of getting a quick roadworthy on it, and then driving it around while I fix up the problems. I knew she had rust – but most of it was hidden, and the bits you could see – I am pretty good with fiberglass and bog. This theory of driving it on the road was quickly thrown out the window by the condition of the front seats.The driver’s seat was obviously (diaphragm) broken, as you practically sat on the floor pan (which was very uncomfortable).

Picture of the drivers seat - very uncomfortable

So the obvious solution was to swap the passenger seat with the drivers seat, as that seat did not seem too bad. In removing the passenger seat – the 16mm plywood board, held on by a couple of screws, did not give me that safe feeling either.

Passenger side seat

But what really made me decide that a quick roadworthy was not in my best interest is the way that the seats were secured to the chassis.2 genuine screws (I presume) and 2 real low quality (and undersized) screws.

This was the drivers side securing bolts - passenger side was similar

After this – I wondered what else has been customized over the years. The thing that really makes me scratch my head is the car was registered on the road until the day it went on the transporter and became mine. So how long the previous owner was driving like this, thankfully it wasn’t involved in an accident.

So my XJS has been stripped (except for the engine bay), the known rust has been repaired correctly. Found a lot of redundant wiring that producers sparks when it brushed up against steel, fuel pump that has no cut out switch as well as other interesting design features that have added over the years

At the end of the day - she is my 40 year plan and I am in no rush to get her back on the road. Every time I see her, a huge smile comes to my face.

Hello Vee – glad you got your car back and on the road – hopefully your seats are not as bad as mine

Cheers
Steve

The following 3 users liked this post by Bez74:
Doug (02-24-2019), Greg in France (02-24-2019), orangeblossom (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 05:52 AM
Received 10,292 Likes on 6,811 Posts

Some previous owners are just "special people", and the mind boggles at what they get away with.

Then have the guts to blame the car maker when it all goes pear shaped.

Well done so far, and the satisfaction is always priceless.

The following 2 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
Greg in France (02-24-2019), orangeblossom (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 07:55 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,175 Posts

Thanks for posting. Will certainly keep the forum posted on my findings....wish me luck. Looking at your seats, I hope to God I won’t need half as much as you!

Seat diaphragms are still findable. Should the foam be in poor condition, there are shops that specialize in that sort of thing.

Its great to know that I can swap the passenger and drivers seat so that I’ll always be able to drive the car. My plan is to work on the passenger seat first....you know, work out the kinks and then replace the drivers seat skins. Hopefully no surprises.

Old 02-24-2019, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

my seats were very bad and rotten,, so found a set of BMW seats with nice head rests!

comfortable and adjustable , even thigh bolsters

Old 02-25-2019, 04:14 AM

Hello Ron

Did you have to adjust the mounting brackets of the car to fit the BMW seats or did they just fit. If they just fitted - can you advise what model the BMW was.

Due to the rules here in Australia, if we modify the car seat connections, we have to get them engineered. While I don't mind going down the engineering path, I prefer not too, if I can find some seats that fit, that would be a way around it

Cheers
Steve

Old 02-25-2019, 05:37 AM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Some previous owners are just "special people" ......
Some of these "special people" carry out what they term "upgrades" - a word that fills me with terror whenever I see it has involved butchering the wiring harness or bolting on some embelishment that would certainly have Bill Lyons turning in his grave.

Graham

Old 02-25-2019, 05:53 AM
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by ronbros
my seats were very bad and rotten,, so found a set of BMW seats with nice head rests!

I too would like to know what BMW seat model you used and if there was much modification needed to either the seats or the car for fitment.
Also, may I ask what the additional switches are for that you have in the armrest cubby?
Also looks like you deleted the radio and ash trays.

Old 02-27-2019, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bez74
Hello Ron

Did you have to adjust the mounting brackets of the car to fit the BMW seats or did they just fit. If they just fitted - can you advise what model the BMW was.

Due to the rules here in Australia, if we modify the car seat connections, we have to get them engineered. While I don't mind going down the engineering path, I prefer not too, if I can find some seats that fit, that would be a way around it

Cheers
Steve
i have no idea what BMW the seats are from, i bought them at a car parts place, new still in plastic wrap!
mounting was very close , altho cant remember fitting back 25yrs ago, cant be complicated i would have remembered it.
ron

Last edited by ronbros; 02-27-2019 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by carsnplanes
I too would like to know what BMW seat model you used and if there was much modification needed to either the seats or the car for fitment.
Also, may I ask what the additional switches are for that you have in the armrest cubby?
Also looks like you deleted the radio and ash trays.

hi carsn, like said dont know which BMW seats came from , bought new still wrapped at a car parts place 25yrs ago!.

consul center switches are for many of the operations , also makes diagnosing each system easier!
Key on , activates panel master relay, each switch has its own relay.
1st toggle on left master power on,blue light lites, all switches armed ,ready,!
far right #4 powers up fuel pumps, primes injectors!
#3 ECU computer ON.
#2 ignition ON.
white button ENGINE START.

knob on small box , for RICH or LEAN adjustments while driving! makes driving interesting !
ron

Last edited by ronbros; 02-27-2019 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Due to the rules here in Australia, if we modify the car seat connections, we have to get them engineered. ,
What does this mean, exactly? What's the process?

Just curious

Cheers
DD

Old 02-27-2019, 10:40 PM
Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
What does this mean, exactly? What's the process?

Just curious

Cheers
DD
Much the same as here in NZ, any work that takes the car from manufacturers specifications need to be certified by registered guys that can certify that the modifications are safe to go on the road. This can be down to changing the size of the wheels.

Old 02-28-2019, 01:09 AM

Thanks Ron for getting back to me - presently some seat diaphragms for sale on ebay in Australia - seller brought them for his XJS but did not fit his model. I know they changed the seat styles along the manufacturing way (but not sure what year they changed). Keeping my eye on them

As Rob replied, below is the extract from the National code of practice for light vehicle construction and modifications, section LK. 1.3 detail seat mounts. Most seats I have measured up (that has the tilt forward mechanism) are approx 25mm narrower than the original seats. Also cannot go a lot higher than the original seats - otherwise my big head will touch the roof (and fall under 1.5 which indicates minimal dimensions)

I find when I drive the car (with the passenger seat behind the wheel) there is not a lot of support for my neck, so I am just tossing ideas around. Would like a seat that has better neck support, while maintaining head clearance, with minimal design changes. I know - I'm fussy

Cheers
Steve

Last edited by Bez74; 02-28-2019 at 01:14 AM.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:15 AM

Did not attach correctly before - this was the table i meant to add

Cheers
Steve

Old 02-28-2019, 01:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,079 Likes on 5,347 Posts

Thanks Ron for getting back to me - presently some seat diaphragms for sale on ebay in Australia - seller brought them for his XJS but did not fit his model. I know they changed the seat styles along the manufacturing way (but not sure what year they changed). Keeping my eye on them
Cheers
Steve
The pre-facelift XJS was modified at about 1987. It was switched to Marelli ignition, to the Mark III aircon, Ford-sourced column stalks, Electrolux windscreen wipers (big improvement), and so called "Recaro" type seats. These are narrower than the previous seats and more modern-looking with better lateral support. The diaphragms are not interchangeable, but the later diaphragms can be made to fit by using longer fixing dogs. They are getting rare to find, so worth buying IMO. Seat foams, which are just as necessary in a seat rebuild, for the earlier seats are NLA, but at least one firm in the UK, Aldridge Trimming can make them, and diaphragms too.

The following users liked this post:
Bez74 (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 623 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by ronbros

those look like E30 or E24 sport seats. Good choice!